Library

Register
Sign in

Studying things & Meeting People  Finished 

It was a bit of a rainy day so Mae decided to stop by the library. She knew that she had to study for an upcoming Transfiguration test, much to her dismay. She thought that while she was at the library she would mine as well maybe meet someone new. Mae always had enjoyed going to the library, searching through the books, for the enjoyment at least not really as much for classwork but she knew she had to do it. Mae had always been bad at Transfiguration so she more or less hoped she would find someone who could help her. Currently she was making her way down the stairs to get to the library. The first day Mae had come to Hogwarts she remembered looking at all the stairs and thought it was the worst thing ever, she slowly decided to come to terms with them. She was making her way to the library when she slowed down, Mae knew she had a bit of a habit going fast to get to places. She walked into the library with a breath and looked at all the books. She barely knew what she was looking for. She made her way over to a section of books and picked one out that looked good. "Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration, sounds good," Mae said to herself as she went to go sit down. Mae barely opened the book when she saw someone come in.
Last edited by Mae Winters on 6th July 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Mae Winters-
"The Wooooorst"- Jean-Ralphio (Parks and Recreation)

Cel walked down the corridors quietly, her footsteps inaudible over the heavy pattering of rain outside. She had mostly finished her History of Magic homework in the library, and so she had decided to go for a read or two-- after all, there was that novel currently in her heavy bag--killing her shoulder, nonetheless-- she just really wanted to finish...

The girl pushed open the door, wincing as its bottom whined against the floor. As she entered, she noticed that the library was mostly empty-- not that she minded; it might be easier to concentrate on the story. Hopefully, she wouldn't get herself stuck in a series for too long. Cel had already been late to History of Magic once, and she had no intention to make the same mistake twice.

Seating herself at a table next to a window of a rain-filled vista, she paused for a moment to watch the crystal-clear droplets sliding down the glass panes. Most would regard the view as dreary and Stygian, she supposed, but she herself watched it wonderingly. How peculiar it was that the droplets were like teardrops of the sky mourning the earth.

Shaking her head free of philosophical thoughts, Cel reached into the heavy fabric of her bag to retrieve the novel: the Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. She was nearly finished with the tome, and it was quickly earning a place in her admittedly long list of favorite books. Her brow furrowed, however, as the bag seemed empty of the book she wanted. I must have left it in the Common Room.

Sighing, the girl made her way over to a shelf, trailing her fingertips over the texts. Squinting at the title of one book just barely beyond her vertical reach--Basic Hexes for the Busy and the Vexed-- Cel didn't see as she took a step forward and bumped straight into another body.

"Oh! I'm so sorry! Are you all right?" she asked, stumbling back remorsefully. Cel's gaze landed on the book that had seemingly thumped to the floor as she had collided with the other girl-- Ravenclaw too, it seemed, from the blue and bronze clothing. At least I somehow got the book out of the shelf, she thought as she bent to pick the book up off the hard floor.

Last edited by Celynne Gray on 3rd June 2018, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mae sat there at the table and tried to concentrate. "Yeah, no can't do this I needa walk around," she said her eyes widening to attempt to stay awake. Mae got up from the table "You know what I just need to walk around and look at other stuff," she said as she made her way for the shelves. She browsed one section that looked quite interesting. She picked up a book from one of the shelves and started to browse through it. The book was about some of the magical creatures in the world, Vampires, Werewolves, Unicorns, and even Dragons. It was clearly for a more advanced group of people. Mae slipped the book back on the shelf and picked up another one about Potions. It had some cool sounding potions that Mae knew she was going to have to wait to do for a few more years. Her mind was starting to clear as she looked over into the window, book still in hand. The rain continued to pour outside and she felt bad for anyone who had to have been outside at that time. Mae walked over to the window and gazed out to look at the rain droplets fall on the window. She made her way over back to where she found the book and set it back. She still had it open and read what was inside, just then she felt her body collide with someone else. She looked up and it was a girl with black hair and her robes were blue and bronze colored just like Mae's. "Oh! I'm so sorry! Are you all right?" the girl said stumbling back. "Yeah, I'm fine, my names Mae," Mae said with a smile, holding her hand out to see if the girl would shake it. 

-Mae Winters-

The other girl had held her hand out. Hmm... she should probably shake it, to be polite, so she shifted her book to her left arm and shook the Ravenclaw's--Mae's-- hand.

"I'm Celynne," she replied with a small smile. "Some people call me Cel." Or Celery, she added mentally but decided not to mention it for simplicity's sake. Besides, that was only one person. Speaking of which, she was slightly hungry. Maybe after this conversation, she could eat some more chocolate coated celery.

Ah... right. This was a conversation. Socialization.

Ugh.

Her growing mortification flashed past the mask of her face, but only for a moment before she gathered herself and the smile on her face replaced itself. "So, you're a Ravenclaw too, right?" the girl asked, mostly just for the sake of conversation. "Do you like books as well?" Cel peered quickly at the open book that the other girl had, then ducked her head back down to avoid looking strange. In the glance, her eyes had caught a picture resembling a bottle of something... perhaps it was a book on liquid chemicals, or...

Oh, right. Magic school. Potions, perhaps? Probably not their school textbook, Magical Drafts and Potions. She hadn't read many Potions books other than it yet, but it seemed like a relatively interesting topic.

Last edited by Celynne Gray on 3rd June 2018, 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The girl shook Mae's hand. "I'm Celynne," she said with a small smile "Some people call me Cel." she added. Mae saw the girl slowly seem to drift off, she snapped into the conversation again with a smile and said "So, you're a Ravenclaw too, right?" she said "Do you like books as well?" Cel said as Mae saw her eyes drift over to the book Mae was holding. "Yeah, I'm a Ravenclaw too, and yes I love books I mean I was suppose to come here to look for books to help me study for the Transfig. test but I couldn't focus as much and I ended up browsing the shelves to take my mind off of it," Mae said a bit quickly, she always had the habit of being awkward and saying too much sometimes, I guess you could say she was an open book. "Sorry, I'm talking a bit too much," Mae said with a awkward smile. "So why do they call you Cel instead of Celynne, your name is quite nice after all," Mae said sweetly, she did wonder why people didn't call her by her first name. "Oh and the book was something I found, it's definitely more advanced," she added.

-Mae Winters-

Transfiguration-- one of her favorite subjects, to say the least. Ah, right... there was a test. Well, she did all the homework, so what was the point in studying at this point? Better not mention that. "I've seen a couple of good Transfiguration books if you need any recommendations," the girl said thoughtfully. "Or if you need help studying, I guess maybe I could help?" Hopefully, that didn't sound too stuck-up. She wasn't trying to be arrogant, but truly she knew she had the capacity to help, and so she offered. That wasn't a bad thing, right?

Hmm. What an interesting question. "I guess it's just easier to say," Cel replied with a shrug, the fabric of her robes rustling with the motion. The girl shifted her weight onto her left foot as her right began to ache. Stupid high arch. "My name is spelled a little weirdly-- C - E - L - Y - N - N - E-- so some people pronounce it wrong, like SELL-in instead of suh-LEEN."

A complicated book? Ooh. "Can I see it?" the girl ventured, craning her neck a little to get a better look at the volume. "I mean, no harm in reading more if you can, right? Even if you can't do some of the stuff described. You could get a head start for future years, or just have some fun reading, like I like to do." Ever since she got to Hogwarts, she had been having trouble finding her usual young adult muggle books, as most muggle books were always stored in the top shelves, of which she was unable to reach. Still, the other books kept in the library kept her busy enough, and there was always owl post to mail her books from home if she needed.

Last edited by Celynne Gray on 3rd June 2018, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mae eyes lit up when Cel said these next words "I've seen a couple of good Transfiguration books if you need any recommendations," she said "Or if you need help studying, I guess maybe I could help?" she added. That would be perfect for Mae she was having a lot of trouble in that class. Cel then explained why people called her the way she did "I guess it's just easier to say," she said but quickly explained "My name is spelled a little weirdly-- C - E - L - Y - N - N - E-- so some people pronounce it wrong, like SELL-in instead of suh-LEEN." She then adverted her attention the the book Mae was holding "Can I see it?" "I mean, no harm in reading more if you can, right? Even if you can't do some of the stuff described. You could get a head start for future years, or just have some fun reading, like I like to do." she said craning her neck to look at the book. "You have some good recommendations for Transfiguration books, thank goodness. Also I guess I'll just call you Cel then," Mae said with a smile. "Also quite true I mean whats the harm of looking at it now?" She added with a smile. "Here lets go sit down," Mae said leading the way. 

-Mae Winters-

Cel grinned at the other girl-- Mae-- as she followed. It really wasn't a gesture she made often, but she was feeling all right as of now... or, well, all right enough to not want to run away and hide in between a couple of ever-untouched shelves. The girl trailed a hand along the shelves absentmindedly while she walked, the tap of her shoes against the floor muffled by the sound of her fingers on the spines of the myriad of volumes.

Mae seemed willing to accept her help, something very uncommon. She would admit; she was a little taken aback by her... outwardness-- Cel had always been taught, or at least learned from experience, that the more closed you were, the better. The fewer things you had, the lighter you traveled and the less you had to lose. The less you loved, the less would be taken. Not everyone thinks like that and you know it, Cel, the girl chided herself mentally. After all, such thinking was obviously not consistent with everything else-- it was always better to know more, as long as one didn't become too attached. One day that curiosity of yours is going to get you killed and you know it, her subconscious huffed at her. She, as usual, paid it no heed.

"Ah-ha," she muttered as she passed over a title that she knew. Cel's fingers closed around its spine, tipping the top of the tome backward then seizing either side and extracting it fully from the shelf. "This one here is good," Cel advised as she continued to walk. She held up the reddish brown leather-bound copy, embroidered in delicate golden filigree and with a wide strip of leather across its middle: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch.

"It's a great book to read if you want to prepare for that test," she supplied, but mentally smacked herself. What an obvious thing to say. If she had taken it out and told Mae it was good, obviously, her meaning was clear. Or at least it should have been. Cel withheld a sigh. "It's got most of the basics that Professor Yornikovych will test or teach you on. You can also look in your Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk if you might want to memorize some of the spells from the Transfiguration section." She had read A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration soon after her first Transfiguration class while working on her homework, wishing to read further into the branches of Transfiguration-- Conjuration, Transformation, Vanishment, and...?

Untransfiguration, she remembered. I'll have to remember that more easily. Oh well, she understood the topic well enough, and even if it did take a while to recall, she was sure she could summon the word if she needed to with proper time. Cel had read her copy of the Book of Spells as well, several times-- though it pained her to admit it, her first time reading it, unlike her second, third, and so on, had been barely a skimming, glancing over it to get a general sense of what spells actually were, on the train. How appalling to think that she herself treated a book in such a derogatory way!

Ah... right. On the train, where she hid away from all socialization like she would usually want to. Perhaps this outburst of energy came from that cauldron cake she had eaten some time ago or the more than usual amount of chocolate that she had dipped her celery sticks into today.

Anyway.

Cel surveyed the table she was approaching. Deeply colored, dusty, and heavy looking, much like the other tables in the library-- and in the study room, and in Hogwarts in general. Several chairs were neatly arranged around it, just as senescent as the table. They would do well with antimacassars, she noted, a stray thought wandering across the plain of her ever-whirring mind. What a great word: antimacassar.

The girl took hold of the back of one slightly less rickety-looking chair, tugging it backward gently in an attempt to evade the loud screech of its unprotected feet against the also unprotected ground. Alas, of course, her efforts were in vain, and the chair whined in protest against the floor. Hopefully, this wouldn't attract any librarians-- not that they were unpleasant, quite opposite of that, but she didn't need anything messing up the friendliness they had toward her. Most here seemed to dislike professors and librarians. She couldn't begin to understand why.

As she seated herself, a thought came to mind, another meandering traveler. Am I helping someone study, or...? Am I even qualified to do so? Hmm... Cel hadn't much experience in studying. Frankly, she never did-- for tests, at least. Did doing homework or looking up things from homework and becoming engrossed in such material count as studying, or was that just her eccentric curiosity? Still pondering the question, Cel flipped the aging pages of the book she had set down on the old table with a thump, trying to find the page number she faintly remembered. The ink on the pages seemed to be fading, but the script was legible enough, and undoubtedly useful for whatever homework or test Professor Yornikovych might assign. The paper crinkled under her fingers as she took hold gently and moved it to the other side of the book, doing her best not to mar the delicate pages, moving the pages one by one instead of in mass quantity.

"Here," she said, at last, pointing at the chapter's beginning. A stylized 2 had been inked on the page, ornate filigree decorating its edges, rows of dark text beneath the headline. "It's got loads on the branches of Transfiguration. The next chapter is Gamp's Law. I don't think Professor Yornikovych will assign much else, but it's very interesting-- to me, at least."

Last edited by Celynne Gray on 19th June 2018, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mae and Cel were moving through the bookshelves petty quietly but she figured that she was looking for a book that would help Mae. Mae felt quite awkward asking for help, as she always did. She then heard Cel's feet stop and heard "Ah-ha,". Mae turned around and watched her grab the book from the shelf "This one here is good,".  The book was reddish brown and bound in leather. It had golden ornate letters across the top and a large strip of leather across the middle. Mae craned her neck to look at the book A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch. She hoped this would help her enough. "It's a great book to read if you want to prepare for that test," Cel said. "It's got most of the basics that Professor Yornikovych will test or teach you on. You can also look in your Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk if you might want to memorize some of the spells from the Transfiguration section." she continued. Mae had only ever looked in that book for Charms class, but she thought it was fantastic their was a section for the upcoming test. Mae then saw Cel pick a chair that looked slightly less rickety from the rest and it screeched across the floor. Mae followed and sat down in the second chair. Cel laid down the book and flipped open some of the older looking pages to a section "Here," she said. "It's got loads on the branches of Transfiguration. The next chapter is Gamp's Law. I don't think Professor Yornikovych will assign much else, but it's very interesting-- to me, at least.". she continued. Mae turned to Cel "You know thanks for this help, I'd be as lost as a sheep in the wrong herd without your help," Mae said as she gave out a smile. 

-Mae Winters-

Homines dum docent discunt.

The Latin quote meant men learn while they teach, she knew, though she thought it applied quite well to women and children as well. How strange it was that such a wise language had such moronic views on gender-- but then, back when Latin had been alive and well, nearly every language had been the same. Seneca the Younger, or Lucius Annaeus Seneca, wrote the words in his Epistulae Morales ad Lucilium-- Moral Letters to Lucilius-- and they were one of the many Latin proverbs to live by... not the ones, thankfully, to die by.

Perhaps, then, that was why Cel was helping the other Ravenclaw girl. She wondered to herself why, she wondered to herself what a waste of effort it might be, but knew it was too late to slink into the shadows and run out of the room... or was it? She didn't know, but she wouldn't risk it; that would be... impolite. But what did she care about impolite, really? It wasn't exactly a necessary quality, even if the adults nagging at you about it could be... irritating. Maybe a bit more than irritating; she'd venture to say vexing, even.

She squinted at Mae's face for a few seconds, aware that the gesture would likely be regarded as a bit creepy by most, but she looked... a bit familiar? Or maybe that was just her mind, playing with her-- that happened quite often.

"Hey-- are you in my Astronomy class, by any chance?" Honestly, it was quite possible that she had never noticed. Her head was always down and reading under the table unfocused, and she never really interacted with the other students, especially in that particular class. Besides, she was always half-asleep during Astronomy, due not completely the class but also to the late hour... though both contributed. Nevertheless, she would always try in all of her classes. Never tick off a teacher; if you do the opposite, they might like you, and it was always better to be liked by the professor in a class rather than disliked.

"It could just be my weird mind," she added with a small laugh. Quite truthfully, it could be-- many things around her seemed familiar now, even though they were not really familiar even by a smattering. And with every one of her flashbacks, the more that tiny details stuck out to her-- a particular shade of stone gray, a certain pitch to the way a book thumped onto her desk, a certain scent and taste of a food that she almost seemed to remember... but perhaps this was a more recent memory, one that was not illusory.

Hopefully this girl would not be the annoying type. Nor should she be the mean type, nor the sad pity-filled type. None of those were ones that she could come to like, but then, she had not come to like many people after all-- in fact, there were few she tolerated in her presence whilst reading. Hmm... she should finish Macbeth soon. Cel had the grace to be and look mortified when she realized she had not yet read it-- the thought!

But now was not the time to reminisce of Shakespeare's beautiful tapestry of words, nor was it the time to ponder the virtues of the beautiful book-- now was the time to focus on getting the answer, help the student..

...and then find a way to quietly slip away.

Mae started to notice Celynne squint at her a bit. She thought it was slightly creepy but at the same time could've meant a million things. Cel then asked "Hey--are you in my astronomy class, by any chance?". Mae sat to ponder about if Cel was in her astronomy class. It then dawned on her why she had quinted so closely at Mae, it was because she may have recognized her. Mae sat there and thought as hard as she could, it was only as if she met Cel today. "It could just be my weird mind," Cel then said to the girl who was a little off in her own mind. "No, I actually do think you are in my class," Mae said while putting her elbow on the table to rest her head. "Your brains not weird, I mean I think your really smart, the books you've already helped me pick out," Mae said gesturing to the stacks of books around the two girls. "No, yeah, I really really think you are in my Astronomy class," Mae said again for emphasis. "But, why have I not noticed you in class before?" She asked inquistively, she really did want to know.

-Mae Winters-

Lupus pilum mutat, non mentem.

Random words of Latin script floated around her head as she chuckled. "My mind is weird. I take pride in it, and I'd rather not be regarded as normal, honestly." She seized upon the quote that appeared to her in her mind: A wolf changes his coat, not his nature. Or character. Or disposition. Redundant. They all meant the same thing, anyway. But she wondered-- wondered why her mind thought of it, on a visceral whim, of the quote that seemed drastically out of place. Or perhaps not, though it applied to herself, not to her surroundings.

Yes, she really wanted to leave now.

The feeling was not to be intended personally, for this Mae was not unpleasant, nor was she annoying-- well, maybe a little bit annoying, but then, most people were. It pained her to admit it, but she didn't like people who didn't understand as well as she did, no matter how kind and amiable they were, even if she was nice enough to help them out in the hopes of seeing a potentially intellectual student. And Cel was fully aware how agonizingly arrogant that sounded, but it was, well, simply her own thought.

"Probably because I'm always reading in class," she answered, still distant, with a half-failed attempt at a smile. "I tend to sit in the back." And try not to be noticed. At least that had worked, if Mae hadn't seen her before, although after this exchange she was rather sure that Mae would remember her. Better to get out while she could... which meant right now if she was able to cleverly maneuver herself out of the library. The girl mentally shuffled her list of escape plans, quickly seizing upon one and praying to nothing at all that it would work-- and that it wouldn't spark too much annoyance in the nice student.

She took a breath in, pretending to glance up at the clock for a second and start forward. "Oh! Is it time already?" Cel turned back with a finally genuinely apologetic grin. "I'm so sorry, time really does fly! I have to go meet a friend, or I'll be late." It'd be genuine if I had any friends, she mused to herself as she spoke. "Just-- uh, there should be enough information in that textbook," she continued as she shoved her belongings hurriedly into her bag.

Clever indeed.

It was sad how good she was at lying, but then, it was true that she had practice... not that that was a good thing either. With a quick smile over her shoulder as she stood, Cel pushed her chair in with her foot and darted out the heavy wooden door of the library with a backward called valediction. Truly she did not wish to offend the girl, but it had simply occurred to her that she did not wish to help another student study any longer.

Also, she needed to work on her... due in half an hour... essay. Oh, dear.

Reducio
Terminus  :sweatingbullets: Sorry for being so impromptu!

"My mind is weird. I take pride in it, and I'd rather not be regarded as normal, honestly." Cel had said to Mae. It was good to see someone who didn't care if they were weird or not. Mae sort of felt as if she were talking to an old version of Janine. It was comforting to say the least. "Probably because I'm always reading in class," Cel then said about the standing question of how Mae knew her from Astronomy class. "I tend to sit in the back." she added. She then took a quick glance at the clock and then back at Mae "Oh! Is it time already?" she said "I'm so sorry, time really does fly! I have to go meet a friend, or I'll be late." she added on. "Just-- uh, there should be enough information in that textbook," she added as a final word to Mae. Mae then watched as the girl sat up, pushed in her chair and rushed out the door. It was slightly abrupt, but it was incredibly fine by Mae, she always seemed to need to go somewhere herself and if she didn't need to go anywhere it was someone else. Mae came to the conclusion that she was going to read the book that she gave her and maybe wait upon someone else to come.

On exiting, no problem  :)

-Mae Winters-