Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Animal Attraction  Closed 

Lorelai was happy they were looking for books. Despite her small amount of time at Hogwarts, she felt she had already made a dent in the books about magical animals in the Hogwarts library. She already knew where a number of books about them were held, and which were the best. Mainly she chose ones that had information on animals that were local, she picked out whatever she knew had information on the native animals of Scotland. She had a large stack of books by the time she reunited with the group.

"I got all sorts of books."She said, plopping the numerous books onto a nearby desk, sorting them into piles. "These ones all have information on the animals in Scotland, so they should be able to tell us the kinds of things we can find on the Hogwarts grounds."She said placing a hand on a stack of three books, varying in size. She moved her hand to another pile, made up of two books, both rather thick. "These have a lot in them about how to get items from animals, like feathers or fur. Useful if we're going to make a potion. The rest are just books with general magical animal information."

She was glad her vast knowledge of the topic (the only thing she really had any expertise in) was helpful for once in her life. She was happy she was being useful.

♥ Le plus grand faible des hommes, c'est l'amour qu'ils ont de la vie ♥

"Excellent work, both of you," Green declared, looking over both of their finds with a grin. "I found a little something, myself, but I don't think we'll need much more than this," he said, setting down a book with a very hairy man on the cover. "It's shocking how little the library has on non-magical means of tracking; I had to go to the biography section for this," he nodded at it. "It's about a Scottish wizard's life and career in tracking and taming wild Welsh dragons. Not exactly a how-to, but the passages seem to be detailed, and it's better than waiting for later years to get ahold of spells we can actually use," he sighed, exasperated by the fact that he, an eleven-year-old-child, was not yet allowed to control dangerous animals with his mind.

"Yes, the billywig stings will make you float if you take too much of them," Green confirmed, nodding at Uschi. "The key will be to take only a very little of them at a time, and carefully record the results. Floating can be fun, but quite dangerous, and even one billywig sting can make a grown man float, so we'll need to dilute it quite a lot."

"Touch me, Midas; make me part of your design."
Encyclopedia Entry (and further history.)
Strength: 1; Agility: 12; Control: 10; Stamina: 7

Uschi looked about at all the books they’d collected, glad she wouldn’t need to tackle them all together. As much as she liked books, she usually read fiction, and usually as a means of finding friends in the pages who wouldn’t judge her for being awkward and… big. Reading was something she did slowly. She cleared her throat. “Alright… I’ll take these to the counter and have them rented out then.” She picked up her pile of books and started waddling to the counter, behind which was an older lady with a sour expression and skin like wrinkled parchment. She looked Uschi up and down with something akin to amazed disdain.
“You’re not planning to eat these, are you?” she said, opening each one and stamping the large tag on the inside front cover.
Uschi was shocked to silence, and didn’t reply. But the librarian continued.
“Animals and alchemy? These books contain dangerous topics for a first year.” She finished her stamping then handed them back. “There’s a note in the front cover. Read it, now.”
Uschi leaned forward, reading in her head.
“Aloud!”
She jumped, then read again. “"A w… warning: If you rip, tear, shred… bend, fold, deface, disfigure, smear, smudge, throw, drop, or in any other manner damage, mistreat, or show l… lack of respect towards this book, the consequences will be as awful as it is within my power to make them."
“Good,” the librarian said, a tight smile beneath her hooked nose, and she pushed the books into Uschi’s arms. “Next!”
Uschi made her way towards the door of the library, then stood there waiting for the others, heart still pounding in her chest. She thought libraries were safe places, but apparently not. When her friends arrived she held back tears and said, “Where… where to next?” Though a sad, wet sniff may have escaped her otherwise calm demeanor.

Lorelai peeked into one of the books, flipping to a page dedicated to billwigs. She scanned the page for any information that might be useful to her. She liked this book especially, with its detailed drawings, and in-depth information. Looking up from her book, she saw how the librarian was giving Uschi a hard time. "Yeah, that happened to me when I first went to the library. It's not just you."

She continued to check out her books, without any issues luckily. The girl frequented the library enough that the librarian knew her well. The books were stacked against her chest, barely staying on. She scanned the page of the book she had opened for information that could be of use to the group. It proved to be difficult to read while holding so many books, but she did it somehow. Her brows furrowed when she read the first passage.

Billywigs are an incest native to Australia. They are around half an inch long and colored a striking, vivid blue. Their wings are affixed to their heads and rotate expeditious enough that they are able to fly.

Lorelai already saw an issue with Green's plan. She hoped she hadn't accidentally overlooked. a bit of the plan, and sounded like an idiot. Maybe he had already thought this up. She continued to silently read. After she had finished almost half the section on Billywig, she decided to speak regardless of her doubts. "Er-Green, I have a question. Billywigs are native to Australia. We are most certainly not in Australia. So I suppose we're going to have to get dried stings from the potions room? I don't know if they have the same effect when not on the billywig, but it's not like we're going to be able to go to Austrailia to try and get stung."

"They are?" Green asked Lorelai as she revealed that Billywigs were native to Australia. He sighed, let his head bonk against the wall. "Damn! I had assumed they were native due to the fact that they're an ingredient in fizzing whizbees.... Who ships an ingredient all the way from Australia just to make a mediocre candy?" he muttered, rubbing his cheek. He paused, thinking. "Really, who might? They must be getting their supply somehow. In the mean time, we could experiment with the candy itself. Not ideal, but it would still be plenty to work with, and the third years can get them from Hogsmeade readily enough," he murmured.

Green glared at the librarian as he passed, seething quietly with a curled lip as he joined Uschi a safe distance away. He put his book back down on the table, speaking quietly. "Suddenly, I don't find myself so very inclined to interact. If she wants to be unpleasant, she can do so away from the rest of us. Withered old bag could probably stand to eat a few books herself, it might re-inflate her; but she's probably too busy snogging them and crying into her pillow about how unfair it is that no one wants to date a pinch-faced shrew," he huffed, tossing his head.

Uschi could have hugged Green for his sympathy regarding the nutty (and rude) librarian. It wasn't often she would have friends that would stand up for her. Instead she smiled and looked down at the pile of books she hugged to her chest.
Her heart sank a bit when Lorelai mentioned the billywigs only lived in Australia. "But... there might be a local breeder, or something," she said. "Could we ask someone, maybe?" When Green mentioned sweets, a small (but very noisy) and guilty part of her was awakened. "What's a fizzing whizbee do? I've never actually had magical candy before." Her hand went to the pocket inside her work robe, crinkling the pastry sweets hidden inside. Perhaps she had picked up some magical food and just didn't know it yet? Maybe their effects would take place soon. No, don't be stupid, she thought to herself. If they were going to do something they would have done so by now.
"Umm... we could also ask someone where fizzing whizbees are made. If they make it in bulk they might order the stingers in bulk too, and they could sell us some. So... has anyone heard of some sort of magical candy factory, or something?" In her mind she imagined something like Charlie and the Chocolate factory, but even more absurd and dangerous.

"The candy makes you levitate for a few moments. I've seen some older students use to try it. Personally, I've never had it but apply it tastes quite good too."Lorelai pondered the Ravenclaw's question. She hadn't heard of any magical candy factory, but of course, they had to be made somewhere. The candy on its owns wouldn't be of much help it could only work for a few moments, so they would certainly have to find some stingers somehow. "I mean we could try to experiment with the candy, but if weight loss is the ultimate goal, I don't know if candy will be much of a solution...Maybe we could some dried billywig stings from the potions room? We could ask Professor Valtome if we could make a potion that uses them, and then sneak a few in our pockets. Or, we could just take them from the potions room when he isn't looking."

Lorelai had never stolen potions ingredients, but you best believe it sounded right up her alley. She had taken little things here and there when she was younger and knew how to get away with things. Then again, maybe the others weren't up for that. It would be risky after all.

Green hummed, rubbing his chin in thought, gears turning. "You bring up a very good point, Lorelai. Even if we can dilute the floating effect to one which just makes someone lighter, that doesn't mean it'll last long enough for whatever it is you want to do with that," he gestured at Uschi. "Going for the store in the basement, going for the manufacturer... I think both could be good ideas. I'd prefer not to simply take them at this point," he sighed, looking conflicted. "It's too risky, and could spoil our chances later.

"There is a third option,"
he realized aloud, head tilting. "We could ask help from the school nurse directly. But there's no knowing how much help she'd be, and if we do end up having to pinch something, it'd be best not to make our motivations known," he said, meeting both their gazes. "Why don't we start with aboveboard methods first? I think I have some old Whizbees lying around; I could owl the manufacturer. In the mean time, we could also approach the potions professor," he proposed. "However, this is ultimately all your decision, Uschi. Just know that whatever you choose, we'll be behind you," he nodded at her. Paused. "Unless it's too dangerous. Or remarkably inconvenient for little obvious benefit," he added. "And also, I can't speak for Lorelai. But other than that," he shrugged. They hadn't met all that long ago.

Uschi gave her friends a warm smile. It was so nice they were so dedicated to helping her! And they didn’t seem to want anything to return… yet. Was it really possible they were just doing it out of the good of their own hearts? She could scarcely believe it, but she WANTED to believe it…
“Um… we should try the legal methods first,” she said at last. “Like… send an owl to the manufacturer? And ask the school nurse and the potions master? Has anyone met the school nurse yet?” She took an inordinate amount of interest in the books clutched to her chest for a moment. “What’s she like? I’ve never really gotten along with school nurses, I’m afraid. They think I’m faking my sore knees on sports day. I was… sometimes… well, only half the time.”
To Lorelai’s comment about magical candy not being helpful for weight loss, she said, “Does magical candy make you put on weight, like real candy does?” That would be a dream come true: she could eat as much as she wanted and get lighter at the same time. If only!
It was hard making a decision though, so she said, “So: if you send the letter, Green, maybe Lorelai and I can go and see the potion master… and you can meet us there. Is that ok?” She wasn’t really used to making decisions like this – typically she was more of a follower than a planner – but Green had said it was her choice, so she had made it. Good friends made her brave too, it seems.

Although just meeting with the potions master was much less interesting than stealing from the potions storage, it made sense to simply ask first. Maybe it wasn't fair to drag the others into a risky situation. Lorelai nodded. "Sending a letter to the manufacturer is a good idea. Maybe you can convince them to send us a bit, Green? I don't know if they would, especially to a group of 11-year-olds, but its definitely worth a try."

She responded to the comment about the weight loss of candy. "Well, to be honest ll I really don't know what kind of stuff they put in wizard candy, but I image it's similar? I mean besides the magical parts, like billywig wings., it's pretty much just sugar and flavoring, right? Again, I'm no expert on magical candies."

Lorelai smiled. "I'm ready to go whenever you are. Just lead the way!"She exclaimed, saluting to Uschi. "Although to be honest I'd rather not have to talk to the professor, he scares me, to be honest. He's so strict."She groaned, remembering a past lecture. She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Wait-Proffesor Valtome is a he, right? I'm like ninety percent sure he's a male but, I think he would kill me if I was ever dumb enough to ask."

Green nodded, listening to the others as they planned. It was clear both girls had good heads on their shoulders and no fear of getting things done; good. He tilted his head as Uschi recounted her gym experiences, having none of his own to draw upon; when he had been forced to run despite aching knees, it had generally been to get away from other children. "I haven't met the nurse, but if she's against helping out with a medical issue, she's not a very good one, is she? It's not like you're skipping classes. No, you're defying fate to take your destiny in your own hands," he gripped at the air with a clawwed hand, lips pulled back in a dramatic snarl. "And woe to the one who defies you."

He paused, glancing over to the window, scritching his neck silently for a moment. "But yes, in any case, might be easier to ask the potions professor first. No matter their gender, they seem like the type that might be sympathetic to the cause. Personally, I just avoid using pronouns when I'm around them," he shrugged to Lorelai.

"I don't know how generous the manufacturers might be, but hey might send us some if they think it will help with publicity," said Green, shrugging. "And we could say we're putting together some kind of school project that shows how harmless billywig stings are when used properly. I hear they're trying to live down that incident where one of their customers got stuck in her ceiling fan," he tilted his head in thought.

Back