Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Animal Attraction  Closed 

Uschi huffed into the library with a sense of relief, like arriving home after a getting off the bus full of cruel children. The only difference was this bus involved navigating several corridors and flights of stairs, and included very limited directions, but at least she’d found it. The smell of dusty old books was like the smell of bread in the oven. Hello, my friends, she almost said aloud, then spared a moment to catch her breath.
She walked down the corridors, running her fingers over the spines of many stories, of many tomes of information. They had strange titles, like How to make your own broomstick, or Quiddich tactics and strategies, to Practical uses of Hyppogriff Feathers, among many, many more. If a corridor had someone in it she avoided those ones. Uschi wasn’t named Uschi on a whim. She was as round as her name suggested, and even the thought of having to push past others between these narrow rows of books made her chest grow tight with anxiety.
Eventually she found a comfortable looking alcove, semi-circular bookshelves against a semi-circular stone wall, a little window in between. She picked a book off the shelf – Fantastic Beasts and their Alchemical Properties – sat gingerly on the wooden stool which creaked dangerously, and started reading under the light of the window behind her.
Time passed and Uschi became absorbed in the book. If anything was her thing, it was animals. She found she got along a lot better with their household cat than she did most humans. She read about hyppogriffs and dragons and the sulphur-breathing Cockatoos of Australia, occasionally pulling snacks out of her long robe to munch surreptitiously, when she was sure nobody was looking. Uschi knew she shouldn’t – she knew this was why she was so overweight – but when she was eating and reading was when she felt the most safe, the most home, the most at peace. It was just a shame it made all other times worse.
It was only after an hour or so she noticed tapping at the window behind her. How long had it been going on she did not know, for she had been absorbed in a chapter on Hedgehogs of the Sea. Turning around, she spotted a small shadow on the other side of the foggy glass, and hinged open the window a little.
A small bird hopped in. A robin? But it was quite large for a robin. It had a red chest but its beak was longer and curved, and it was at least the size of a pigeon. It looked at her and chirped, turning its head this way and that.
“Hello little friend,” Uschi said, smiling for what felt like the first time in ages. She held out her hand and the robin gazed at it as if looking for something to peck, and so Uschi reached under her coat and pulled out some snacks she had pilfered earlier. “I’m sorry. This probably isn’t very good for you,” she said, holding out some pastry treats, and the bird pecked at them eagerly, sending pastry crumbs flying. “Oh, careful there.” Uschi brushed the crumbs away, glancing about carefully to make sure nobody was watching before putting her hand out the window to dispose of them. But when she brought her hand in there was another robin clinging to her wrist, chirping friendlily, happy to be brought inside. “Would you like some too? You can share, you know. Are you husband and wife?”
There was another clatter of tiny footsteps at the window, and lo-and-behold another bird entered. Black this time, like a raven. Perhaps it was a raven. It cawed quietly in its throat and Uschi spared some more pastries for it, until she spotted a couple of mice emerge from behind a nearby bookshelf.
“Ohh no,” she said, glancing this way and that. “Listen, you have to go now. Uh, you could get me into trouble, please…”
Another bird came through the window then, a pigeon, and the two robins snapped at it angrily with a loud chirp. Uschi’s chest grew tight, knowing there would be a librarian baring down on her any moment. She put the pastries away in her pocket but there were still plenty of crumbs about, and another pair of mice emerged to enjoy the feast.
The pigeon fluffed itself up between pecks and left an enormous bird dropping on the fabric of the seat.
Uschi was almost beside herself. But then she took a deep breath, calmed her racing heart, and thought, go, go. She concentrated as hard as she could, imagining the birds leaving via the window, the mice scurrying away, concentrated until that was all she was thinking of.
When she opened her eyes they were gone.
Uschi breathed a sigh of relief and closed the window. No sooner had she than a small feathered figure appeared on the other side. “Go away,” she said again. “Sorry, but go.” Then she turned around, having the distinct feeling that someone was watching her.

A thump came from behind her; standing at the end of the stacks, a skinny, pale boy with large, sunken eyes and a sharp little jaw hanging open stared at her. "Did you do that?" he gestured, pointing at the window.

Before she could answer, he was stepping closer, peering at her with wild green eyes, his book forgotten on the floor behind him. "You did, didn't you? That was remarkable. Imperfect," he observed, taking a few tissues from his pocket and dabbing at the bird's mess delicately, "but remarkable. And the perfect is the enemy of the good," he added approvingly, tossing the tissues into a nearby waste basket.

He hooked his thumbs into his pockets as he regarded her silently for a moment, looking her up and down. His eyes flashed to the book beside her, then back up at her. "I'm Green, by the way. Rainier Green, but I really do prefer just, Green. You have my book," he pointed out, staring at Fantastic Beasts and their Alchemical Properties. He looked back up at her, the corner of his mouth twisting into a grin. He took a step closer. "I don't know whether I like that or not." His tone was teasing, but a careful eye would hear that there was no real malice in it, only a sharp sort of playfulness.

"Touch me, Midas; make me part of your design."
Encyclopedia Entry (and further history.)
Strength: 1; Agility: 12; Control: 10; Stamina: 7

Your book? This is a library! Uschi wanted to say, but of course she didn’t. She never said what she thought when confronted by bullies, usually because she only thought of quips later. But then one popped into her head. Something about him owning all the books in the library, and she opened her mouth to say so.
“You… you’re… must be a librarian then,” she said weakly. So weakly that all she did was shrink into herself for a moment, then hold out the book for him to take. There are plenty more interesting books right here, she told herself. But a second look at the boy didn’t seem to reveal that cruel streak she was so used to seeing. Nor were there any of his friends for him to torment her in front of. So maybe, she hoped, this was his way of trying to be friendly. After all that wasn’t something she was particularly good at either. So instead of wandering away she tried something else:
“So… do you… what do you mean by ‘The perfect is the enemy of the good’?” She hoped this wasn’t also a stupid question, but watched him clean up the bird poo with thankfulness.

His head tilted as he saw her shrink, the grin fading from his face, and those dark, glittering eyes flashed to something like insecurity for a moment; but then he smiled again, offered up a soft, perfunctory laugh at her retort, and pushed the book back into her hands with an imperious tilt of his head. "Consider it a loan, then; I've decided that I like you having it more than not," he smiled at her, and this time it was a little warmer, a little less sharp.

"Oh, I hate that saying, too. Bugs the blazes out of me, that's why I use it all the time," he grinned back at her, leaning against a bookshelf. "It's supposed to mean that if you try to be perfect all the time, you'll never manage to produce anything good. That's how I've heard it explained, anyway. Perfection doesn't allow mistakes, and mistakes come from taking chances, and nobody really gets better at a thing unless they take a few chances, I suppose," he shrugged a shoulder.

"Which brings us to the subject of alchemy," he said, looking at the book in her hands again. "How do we turn lead into gold? How do we produce perfection from imperfection? One answer is, don't try. First, work with what you've got, and get it as good as you can make it," he shrugged. "Then wait until somebody with a philosopher's stone comes around, I suppose," he sighed irritably, muttering something under his breath. Flamel. "I don't think much of that answer. But the saying does have a point, you've got to value what you've got at any moment. Are you really interested in alchemy in particular, or was the book just the next step in a study of fantastic beasts in general?" he asked, head tilted. "Not a lot of people are interested in alchemy these days," he rubbed his ear, eyes flickering away and back to her as he wondered if he had, perhaps, been talking too long.

Lorelai had been reading again in the library. She had always had a passion for animals, especially dangerous or unique ones, and recently she had been reading whatever books on the topic she could find in the Hogwarts library. Luckily, there were countless books on the topic in the massive library. Recently she had taken an interest in dragons, which is why she was currently inside it. She wasn't really looking for a specific book, in particular, only just one about dragons, or perhaps something of the sort. Lorelai hadn't read too much up on Nundus, and they seemed quite interesting.

She was strolling down the stacks and shelves of books, sighing as none of them really interested her, when she heard...birds? In the library? Confused, she went over to the area where she heard the noise come from. Along the way she stopped to look around a bit (As that was why she was there in the first place). She was able to find, Catalonian Fireball: The Spanish Dragon. This was an interesting find for sure, as it was one of the lesser researched breeds. However, she was still concerned about what was going on in this corner of the library.

She saw a boy and a girl talking together. Curious about what had been doing on, she inserted herself into the conversation. She realized she knew neither of the students, but that didn't stop her. "Hello. I don't mean to butt in, but I was wondering where all the bird noises were coming from, and it led me here."

♥ Le plus grand faible des hommes, c'est l'amour qu'ils ont de la vie ♥

"That depends... is there a magical weight-loss potion?" Uschi asked, laughing to make sure he knew it was a joke, but secretly she wondered. Could it be that easy? "Em… I don't know much about... potions. Or magic at all really. Dad had some potions for emergencies... I mean for healing, but we never actually had to use them." She fell silent for a moment, then added, "Do you like potions? Uh, I mean, why are you interested in potions?"
Before the boy had a chance to reply, another girl appeared, thin and with dark hair. "Hello. I don't mean to butt in, but I was wondering where all the bird noises were coming from, and it led me here." , she said, and Uschi cleared her throat.
"There... there were some birds at the window. They're gone now," she said, then noticed the remains of the pigeon dropping sitting beside her. She threw the hem of her cloak over it instead - not that there was much hem left. It took her a moment longer to realise the girl wasn't leaving, so she cleared her throat. "I'm Uschi, b... by the way. What's your name?" She offered her hand, then realised there were still pastry crumbs stuck to her fingers, and surreptitiously brushed it on her cloak instead.

Green took a step back from Uschi as she asked about weight-loss potions, shock widening his features; one brittle hand reached up to touch his treacherous stomach, and it rumbled, anxiety churning within.

Don't panic. She doesn't know. It's not about you.

He spoke quickly to cover the noise. "That's a very good question," he said seriously, tapping a thumb on his chin. "I'd be interested to know that, myself. I imagine it'd be dangerous trying to create one. After all, which part of us would the potion choose to sacrifice? And imagine the variations between people, between batches. Even the most careful brewer may get a different result if something's up with the ingredients - if the unicorn you got the hair from was sick, or even just frightened," he murmured, shrugging one angular shoulder. "It's dangerous to get rid of parts of yourself just because other people don't like them," He said very quietly.

He felt cold.

Turning his attention abruptly to the girl who approached, he flashed her a tight, relieved smile, then purposefully held his head higher, nodding at her. "Green, Rainier Green. Nice to meet you. You really did miss something, she's quite talented; rather lucky there wasn't a hippogriff in the vicinity or I imagine you and I would be birdseed by now."

“Me? I’m Lorelai. I’m sorry if I’m bothering anyone, if you want I’ll leave you two to...whatever you were talking about.”Lorelai didn’t want to intrude on their conversation, whatever it was about. She held her book close to her chest. Introductions were never her strongest suit. But her curiosities usually won over her comfort. She smiled, and shook Uschi’s hand.”It’s nice to meet you, Uschi. I think your name is really pretty.”

Lorelai was looking at the scene in front of her when she noticed the book the other girl had, Fantastic Beasts and their Alchemic Properties. When she saw the words Fantastic Beasts, she immediately thought back to another book she had read a while ago. She had found that book extremely useful and read it several times. The word ‘alchemy’ however seemed foreign to her, she had heard it passively before but never bothered to look up its actual meaning. Maybe she would borrow the book once Uschi.

The boy then introduced himself, as Green. She noted how it was odd he wanted to be called by his surname, as it was more common to be called by your first one at Hogwarts. She shrugged it off however, it probably didn’t mean anything. “I bet that was quite a sight. I wish I was there than. It would have been so cool if a Hippogriff showed up, wouldn’t it!’Her hazel eyes noticeably lit up.”I’ve read all about them. They’re fascinating.”

Rainier Green wrote:
18<sup>th</sup> May 2018, 1:53 pm
"It's dangerous to get rid of parts of yourself just because other people don't like them," He said very quietly.
"But I don't like them either," she said quietly. How could one like something that drew her such hatred? Plus it made clothes hard to find. It made everyday tasks difficult, like squeezing between the aisles of books in the library, walking past other people in alleyways or shops, or finding chairs and beds that weren't going to splinter beneath her and send her sprawling on the floor in a cacophony of humiliation. Walking around was always hard enough but now she was at Hogwarts, a place that didn't seem to understand the concept of elevators. It made her clumsy and slow, unable to play sports or go hiking or ride a bike. She hated it.
That said, quietly it was nice for Green to imply that her size wasn't something that needed fixing, or that made her less valuable in his eyes. Not that he'd said as much really, but still. The sentiment was there.
But Green wasn't listening any more. So instead Uschi squeezed Lorelai's hand tenderly. "It's nice of you to say so. Lorelai is nice too. Pretty, I mean."
She looked the girl over, forcing down that familiar sensation of envy and distrust that she was only being spoken to for the purpose of some cruel jest. "It's nothing special, really. Animals just like me for some reason."

Lorelai smiled. "No really, that's super cool. I'm not sure animals particularly like me. Not that they dislike me, only that they don't act any better around me than anyone else." But then she again she tended to take the most interest in animals that aren't very friendly. She liked docile animals too, just not with the same passion. Maybe they sensed that. She had always thought of animals as having very human intelligence, and even if she knew that wasn't usually the case, it was hard for her to imagine them not having them.

She realized what Uschi was saying to Green that she wanted to make a potion to make her lose weight. Her heart sank at the thought. "Green is right. I don't think doing that is very safe...And besides, there's nothing wrong with being a little overweight."She said adamantly. Lorelai didn't have any physical attributes she was all that insecure about (other than her untannable skin) but she had been bullied when she went to muggle school due to her absent father. Although since arriving at Hogwarts she had out more about him, she felt like he should be in her life. Maybe that was a bad comparison, but Lorelai still sympathized with not liking a part of yourself. Besides, appearance was definitely not worth sacrificing your well-being. Lorelai was garbage at potions but she knew that playing around with them was a dangerous game.

Green nodded, brow knotting as he looked Uschi up and down with a cold, analytical stare. He rubbed his chin, humming. "Well, if you don't like them, that's another matter. There might be other ways to use better tested potions to assist," he theorized. "There are potions designed to stave off hunger, though it'd take a lot of them and they can be dangerous if you forget to eat. And it'd be long and expensive and blah blah blah," he waved a hand, nose wrinkling at the inelegance of that solution.

"If the literal weight is an issue, powdered billywig stings could be used to make you lighter at the same size... Does your ability extend to magical insects?" he asked, suddenly very interested. "That could be quite lucrative, actually," he purred, not a little avarice in his voice.

"Mind, the whole affair might be none of my business," he gestured, shrugging. "And in that case, you'd have every right to tell me to bugger right off. But I like problem solving, and frankly, I think I'd like it if you..." owed me a favor "... if we were working together on something," he amended, studying Uschi's expression.

"You underestimate your powers, I believe. Magical creatures are vital to so many of society's magical operations - even our wands require things from them. And personally, I am terrible with them," he said, looking at Lorelai.

Uschi listened to Green speak with enraptured attention. Potions to remove hunger? Potions to make you lighter? She wondered if the hunger one would work. Uschi couldn't say she ate because she felt hungry all the time. She ate because it felt good. It made her feel comfortable... whole - an embarrassing thought if ever there was one. But if she felt lighter then that might help her get about more, which might help her lose weight.
Lorelai Brunelle wrote:
19<sup>th</sup> May 2018, 3:14 am
And besides, there's nothing wrong with being a little overweight."
Uschi didn't look at her. There's no need for you to lie, she felt like saying, but didn't. She turned to Green.
"I... actually... don't know much about magical animals yet, outside of the books we bought for school." She had stayed up reading about them last night. "This is my first time in the library, I mean. This is the first book I picked up." She held up Fantastic beasts and their Alchemical Properties
"But if potions can do all you say they do, then I'm definitely interested," she said. Then she stood up, feeling a little awkward being the only one sitting down. "What do you want to work on?" She asked Green. "I'll be happy to help, especially if you'll teach me more about potions and... wizarding stuff."
She turned to Lorelai and offered her a smile. "And can Lorelai help too? If you want, I mean." She directed the last to Lorelai herself. "It'd be good to stick together, I think. The three of us I mean."

"I'd be happy to help out! Pretty much ever since I've gotten here I've been researching magical creatures. Mostly the more dangerous ones, but the more tame ones too. But like I said I'm not as crazy good as you are at getting along with them."Lorelai said. A thought popped into her head. Maybe Uschi would be able to use her magic or whatever she has to summon all the animals in the Hogwarts grounds that Lorelai knows are at least supposed there, but she's never gotten a chance to see. However, the thought never popped into Lorelai's head that maybe, just maybe, the girl didn't want to see a murderous sea demon. Because really who wouldn't want to. Maybe she'd ask for her to help her observe a grindylow at another date.

"I can help with the potions if you like. I'm pretty good at them, certainly no genius, but I can. We could ask the professor if we could make the potion when there's no class one day for 'academic' reasons. I feel like that would work. Worse case scenario, we could always sneak in one day, and make a potion. Although I guess we have to decide on a potion first."Lorelai turned to Green. "Well, what do you have planned?"

Green grinned victoriously, taking a step closer to the two. With a conspiratorial tilt of his had, he began: "Marvelous, glad to hear you're both interested. Perhaps the best place to start with be with a simple snuffling potion," he proposed. "Not as exciting as, say, a potion of invisibility, or a potion of strength, but it's all about where we start. First of all, it's an easy potion for beginners, so we should all be capable of the thing," he counted off on one finger. "Second, it appears quite harmless, so I doubt anyone would be too interested in stopping us, so long as we don't step on any toes," he continued. "And third and most important, it might lead us to finding more ingredients for future potions. Many animals track their prey through an advanced sense of smell, yes?" he asked Uschi, looking over at her. "Perhaps we could do the same. If we can simply train ourselves to know what billywigs look like, the three of us might be floating in no time."

Green took a step back, straightening. "If it works, we'd only be constrained by what we could find around here. I hear that you don't know much yet, Uschi, but I'm betting you'll find the information natural to gather once you start your research," he nodded at her. "And what we could really most use right now is a list of local wildlife that might be useful. Both magical and mundane. What do you think?" he asked, looking between the two.

“Um… yes, that’s ok. You mean what billywigs smell like?” she asked. Uschi had a pretty good sense of smell, she thought, so maybe she could smell a billywig, but her affinity for animals had always been more about the mind than the senses. “But I can get out this book. Let’s look for some more - I'll look up alchemy and you look up animals - then we can head for the desk.”
Uschi started browsing the shelf beside her, and found the problem wasn’t a lack of information but rather a flood. Almost all the books here were on alchemy, and she found it a bit overwhelming.
The snacks she had stuffed into her robe burned a hole in her pocket that felt the same size and shape as the one eating away at her insides. It was like eating them would remove her anxiety, but she resisted the urge for the moment – she hated eating in front of other people anyway. To Green she said:
“So, when you say float… we won’t really float, will be?” She could just imagine the jeers then. Balloon, they would call her. Or blimp – she used to be called that anyway. Just enough to take some pressure of her ankles and knees would be wonderful, or allow her to climb steps without feeling like she was carrying several sacks of potatoes with her.
At last she had scanned the whole bookshelf and had pulled out several promising titles. “This will do me,” she said. “What did you guys find?” For possibly the first time since she arrived there was a real smile on her face. Though they'd only just met, it was good to be part of a group, especially ones who seemed to know so much and be so willing to help her!
  Back