Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Too Much Silence  pv   closed 

Eri had no clue what she wanted to be. She sat there silent whilst she thought her answer through. She had no earthly idea what she wanted to be. "I-I don't know. Maybe an unspeakable. I  know there isn't much known about their job, but it seems so interesting to me. I really want to be one, but who knows." She stifled a yawn not wanting him to see she was really tired. She spent most of the time dedicated to sleeping, to read. She would sit in the common room and read. Not wanting to disrupt her dorm mates. Since they slept and she just read.

The brunette didn't know what else to ask him or say. So she just sat there and waited for him to say something. He seemed to be enjoying her company. Since she didn't have anything else to say she looked at the books on the table. Wondering if there were any other books she wanted to read. One of her goals was to read all of the books in the library, which would probably never happen, she would try anyways. Maybe it would take her all seven years of her education at Hogwarts.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

An unspeakable? This girl was full of surprises. First, she says she aspires to be to be an animagus and now she says she also wanted to be an unspeakable. Elrich hadn’t even considered that division of the Ministry when thinking about what he wanted to be when after graduation, partially due to the limited information on what they did and partially because he was not sure if he could ever have the abilities to hold a role of such esteem. This girl on the other hand was determined to chase her goals down, even if she was young.

“Gotta be honest with you, your attitude really impresses me. You seem to have such a clear vision of what you want your future to be. Compared to me, at least”, he told her, cracking a smile. His entire life he had felt like his studies were meant to prepare him for his future, both at Hogwarts and beyond. However, a realization struck him. How could he prepare for his future if he did not have the foggiest idea what his future would entail? Sure, studying would likely help with whatever he ended up doing, but what kind of motivation could he have to study as hard as he did if he didn’t have long term goals?

“Hey, so…. why do you read so much? Like….is I just for enjoyment, or to prepare for the future, or something else?”

Stam: 5, Agi: 7, Str: 3, Con: 6, Arc: 5, Acc: 4 * "A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambition"

Eri smiled when he said her attitude impressed him. She believed she could do anything she set her mind to. Even if people thought she was to young to have such goals right now. She knew her goals, of being an animagus and an unspeakable seemed far fetched since she was only elven at that current moment, but why can't she have big dreams? She knows she can achieve them if she works hard enough. "Thank you. I really do believe I can achieve these goals. If I try hard enough I will be able to." She said like she knew what she was talking about.

Eri flinched when he asked the question about why she read so much. She read it for the knowledge, but she was picked on when she was younger since she was quiet and somehow everyone knew her parents had left her to continue their jobs as famous daily prophet writers. "The knowledge, and I didn't have many friends. So I always spent my time reading instead of trying to get to know the people who ignored me and picked on me. I also read to try to learn more for some reason I don't want to say right now."

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

To be so sure in one’s own abilities. It truly inspired Elrich. Maybe because it contrasted so much with the doubts he had begun to feel about his motivations and purpose for the way he had lived his life. Regardless, he was happy that Eri had stumbled upon his table and noticed the book he was reading. Their conversations had given him a lot to think about and a good deal of opportunities for introspection. Funny how life is. One moment you’re bored out of your mind, the next you’re questioning your entire past and future.

When he asked her of her motives to reading, he noticed she flinched, causing him to immediately worry that he had asked too many questions. Luckily, she proceeded with a suitable answer, which Elrich actually believed to show some parallels between the two’s lives. Perhaps he told himself that he spent so much of his past reading and studying to prepare for the future, but that could have just been to cover up the fact that besides his books, he was essentially alone. With his parents constantly away for work and him not being allowed to explore his neighborhood, there was little to do besides read.

“Well you may not have had a lot of friends back home, but at least you have friends at Hogwarts,” he cheerfully reminded her. “And don’t feel like you gotta disclose everything to me, it’s totally fine for you to have things you want to keep to yourself. Everybody does”.

Stam: 5, Agi: 7, Str: 3, Con: 6, Arc: 5, Acc: 4 * "A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambition"

Eri looked at him. "I have disclosed things. It would be a lot to tell you all my reasons for reading." She said quietly. Maybe she was being a bother and he didn't want to hear her entire life story. Which wouldn't bother her since she wasn't going to share every detail about her life. It would be boring and long. So she just examined the detail. She tried to stifle a yawn but it came out anyways. She was tired, but the brunette didn't want to show her exhaustion and she was interested in talking with this gryffindor boy.

Eri looked at the shelves around them and then back to the table. She needed to keep her mind racing in order for her to not fall asleep then and there.

Eri wasn't normally the type to not sleep but lately she had been reading instead of sleeping and she was feeling the fatigue. She knew she needed sleep so she slept whenever she didn't want to read. Which was like three hours a night. That wasn't enough she knows that, but she just loves to read and really enjoys it more than sleep. Which is kind of dum since she needs sleep.

“Yeah, you have. You know, I think you’re the first person I’ve ever had a real conversation with in this library. I come here almost every day, but this is still a first”.

It was the truth; going to the library had become part of his routine, and it was almost always the same. Today, by pure chance it would seem, that routine had been disturbed. No, not disturbed. Altered. He was happy about the turn of events that had occurred. Just as he was beginning to succumb to the boredom and silence of the library, fate had gifted him with somebody walking right by who also happened to have many of the same interests as him.

When he noticed the girl yawn, he looked over to one of the seemingly ancient grandfather clocks, which seemed to be haphazardly scattered all over the library, and the whole school for that matter. It had gotten late, and he was getting tired, but he didn’t really want to make the walk back to Gryffindor Tower for bed just yet. It would be a bit of a walk up all those stairs, and he was enjoying the casual conversation that the girl offered. Nonetheless, he decided it was best to at least be polite. “If you’re feeling tired then don’t feel like you need to stay up for me. I don’t want to keep you up against your wishes”.

"Really, I wouldn't think that. You seem to know more about conversations than I do." She smiled. It was nice to talk with him. He had a lot of interests that were similar to her especially reading wise. It was an enjoyable conversation. Talking to him about books, and subjects. 

The brunette glared over at the grandfather clock. It was getting late no wonder she was getting exhausted. It wad beginning to become night, but she wasn't quite ready to leave the library yet. She at least wanted to finish their conversation and get a few more books for her to read later.

"No, I'm fine. Not that tired at all. You aren't keeping me against my wishes. I don't have to leave right now." She said. The brunette didn't exactly want to have to walk all the way to the Ravenclaw common room right then. Maybe later, but at that moment she just wanted to stay in the library. Her favorite place inside Hogwarts. It was full of so many old books and other books that she could read and study with. 

Eri decided she would leave later and would stay and talk to Elrich until he wanted to leave.

“I’m not all that experienced at making conversation, but I guess it helps a lot when you have a lot in common with the other person”.

Now that he thought about it, he had never really been a social person prior to coming to Hogwarts. Well, he still wasn’t a particularly social person, but he had been slowly coming out of his shell since his arrival. Being able to escape the isolation of his home in Manchester helped a lot, and now he was surrounded by students his own age, some of which had a surprising bit in common with him. Although he still habitually isolated himself in classrooms and libraries, it was instances like this one that made him feel like Hogwarts was more of a home than what he ever had. Here, he was able to truly be himself without the pressures of being the person his family felt he should be. He wasn’t entirely sure if that was a good thing to think about his family, but it was the truth.

“Well I’m glad you’re not too tired yet, cause I’m sure not,” he reassured her, forcing himself not to yawn mid sentence. He figured in order to stay alert he better continue their conversation somehow, so he asked the first question that popped into his head.

“So, besides the book you saw me reading, what others did you come to the library to find?”

That was a valid point. People were good at talking to others when they had a lot in common. Since they both liked studying and books it was easy for them to have a conversation. It was also more enjoyable since they knew stuff that the other might enjoy talking about. That is how Eri wished everyone was like, but it wouldn't be as interesting if everyone liked the same things. 

She smiled and looked at him. His question, she could answer it. She had come to get books to read and study. Maybe some for fun, but mainly to get transfiguration, charms, DADA, and potions. So there were a lot of books she could pick from. And she hadn't the foggiest Idea where to start looking for the books she wanted to read. Well, she had a small idea, where the subjects were located, but not the actual books that she wanted to read. "Just a bunch or random subjects. That I will get later. For now. I guess I don't need them that much." She said and looked at the books on the table. There weren't any there that she recognized as the books she wanted to read.

“Well that’s good. I’m sure you can manage, but I can help find them if need it”.

He looked around the library to see how things had changed over the course of their conversation. As far as he could see, they were the only ones left occupying the library. There were likely still some studying upperclassmen scattered about in other sections, and odds were the librarian was still somewhere around. Although the silence from earlier still lingered on, it did not bother him as long as Eri was also there. As lame it sounded, he was not sure if he would want to be inside the library alone at this hour. As much as he enjoyed solitude and a good book at times, even he was not one for such isolation from other people. Even if he never talked to them, having other people around gave him a feeling of safety.

“Random question I s’pose, but what do you think about Hogwarts? Like...do you enjoy living here?” he inquired. Although he had not attended for all that long, he found that being there had slightly changed who he was as a person. It was a huge transition from his rather simplistic life back home, though getting to experience more freedom away from his family had caused him to grow quite a bit as a person in a surprisingly short amount of time. He was still a tad socially inept, especially compared to other students, but he was beginning to improve at making conversation and had a greater understanding of social norms.

Back