Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Too Much Silence  pv   closed 

Elrich sat at a long table in the middle of the library studying. Although classes had only recently begun, he wanted to get a head start on the course material if he was going to perform up to his parents' expectations. He had littered the table with tall piles of books from a variety of subject, some for classes and some simply for his enjoyment. He had already finished most of the homework that was assigned in his classes that week, but he decided that the best way to spend his time was to continue on to future topics that were to be covered in weeks to come.

He let out a sigh after finishing the chapter he had been reading, as he began to feel slightly drained. He took a look around the room to see who else was around. Mostly older students, as first years did not receive as large of workloads. He also supposed that most younger students simply completed their classwork in their common rooms. Elrich preferred the silence that came with the library, however. The absence of distraction was soothing for him, though he sometimes grew tired of it. He had spent a large portion of his life engulfed in silence, and sometimes he wondered if he would spend the rest of his life the same way.

He turned his eyes back to his book, but he could not seem to get himself to continue reading. Though he did not like to admit it, even he had his limits on how much information he could take in before his brain began to shut it all out. He widened his eyes and urged himself to focus. The same silence began to creep up on him once more as he forced his way back into his reading.

Stam: 5, Agi: 7, Str: 3, Con: 6, Arc: 5, Acc: 4 * "A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambition"

Eri had gone to the library seeking a peaceful place to read. There was a few books she needed and she couldn't find one of them on the shelf it belonged. Well, she grabbed the other book she needed and walk around seeing if she could spot the book. 

The brunette traced her finger on the shelves as she walked. The library was a very peaceful place to her. She went here when she needed relief from lots of people or  a good read. It was always quiet in the library. Not many people there to interrupt the peaceful silence.

Eri walked back to the tables and saw a boy reading. He had the other book she was looking for. Maybe she could ask if she could borrow it sometime. Not now seeing he was reading it. She walked silently up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. "Excuse me, I was wondering if I could borrow the book you are reading. When you are done, of course. By the way my name is Eri Windstone. Nice to meet you." She said calmly trying not to say so many words which she normally does. She can talk a lot when she likes the topic currently being spoken.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Just as the silence was becoming too numbing for his mind to handle, it was pierced by a voice. Elrich finished the paragraph and looked up at the girl. He took a second to decide his course of action and when he came to a conclusion, he shut the book closed.

"Elrich Schulz, pleasure to meet you," he said, trying to match her calm tone. "I already have plenty of books here to read. You can have it if you'd like, or you can have it later. Whatever you prefer," he continued, trying his hardest to be polite.

He took another glance at the book. He had never really been one to share his books in the past, as they were one of the few things he cared about. There was something about this situation, however, that seemed to override this. Perhaps it was that the silence she ended was driving him mad, or maybe staying in the library for so long with nothing besides his pile of books had slowly drove him to loneliness. Regardless, he felt that even a slight diversion from his studies would serve as a well-earned break from the world of potion brewing and incantation pronunciation. And besides, he was in a good mood, and what harm could come from letting her have the book?

Stam: 5, Agi: 7, Str: 3, Con: 6, Arc: 5, Acc: 4 * "A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambition"

Eri smiled looking at him. She nodded. "I don't mind coming back later. If you want me to. I can leave and let you go back to your peaceful silence." Eri smiled. She didn't know what to say. She wasn't normally this polite, but she felt bad for interrupting him while he read. The brunette walked over to the seat opposite. "Mind if I join you?" Eri had no clue what to do. She liked reading yes, but socializing was not her forte. Though she would give it a try.

Eri looked at him and shot a quizzical look at him. "What do you like to read?" She frowns and looks at him. Sighing she sits down. She looks at the book she asked to borrow. "Thank you." She said that he allowed her to borrow the book. Reading was one of her faverote things to do then. It was like going to another world. It was very entertaining for her.

The girl looked at all the books he had laying on the table to read. They were all very fascinating. She loved reading in the library. It was one of her favorite places in the entire castle besides her room.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Help yourself,” Elrich replied, referring to her sitting with him. There were never that many people his own age in the library, especially not ones that were there to read for fun or ones that wanted to sit with him. He had never been a social person in the past, but after studying for so long by himself and not getting to know too many people at the school, he was happy to have somebody else there.

When she asked him about what types of books he liked to read he was not really sure what to say. When he was living at home with his parents he was always limited to the textbooks that they deemed fit, leaving very little room for imagination. The closest thing to a fantasy novel he had ever been allowed to read was likely World Mythology, which was just an assortment of myths and legends. Now that he thought about it, even now that he was away from his parents, he often focused on his studies and not on truly enjoying his reading. He had always fancied himself as a bookworm, but could he really do so if he rarely explored different genres?

I guess the honest answer is that I don’t really know what kind of books I like. I’ve always just read textbooks, but I don’t know if like them,” he finally replied after a bit of a gap. He wasn’t even sure if this answer made sense to himself, let alone to her. "What about you? What kind of books do you like?"

"I like text books too. It is a lot more interesting to read text books and learn, than fantasy books. That is my opinion." Eri sat down and sighed. She was very tired and had a massive headache from reading so much. Maybe she should lay off the reading some or she might get migranes which aren't fine. She never understood how she read for 8 hours straight and didn't get headache as much she does now

Eri loved books, but this library was huge. She wanted to explore the whole thing and read l the books, and she was failing.

Maybe she had a book problem. Why did she read so many books if she knew how many she read it would probably be a ton of books. She picked out her diary that had been passed down by her father's side of the family. It was dated back to when Voldemort was alive sadly some of her family members followed his wickedness. She despised of them and learn from experiences from other things.

Eri shifted in her seat and waited for him to answer her so she wouldn't get lost in the silence. It was too quiet for her.

Finally, somebody else who shared his passion for learning. It figured that the one other person he knew that felt that way was in Ravenclaw. His housemates did not typically hold the same views of reading, or anything academic for that matter. As glad as he was, he could tell from the look on her face that she was tired, probably even more tired than he was. "It’s great that we share an interest in literature, but you look tired. Like really tired. You sure you want to keep reading?" he remarked in a somewhat joking fashion. He was glad to have somebody to talk to. Even back home in Manchester he would be able to pass time speaking with his tutor. Here, however, he was forced to endure entire days of silence, or at least it seemed that way.

He noticed her pick up a book he had never seen before. He did not recognize the covers and could not make out a title. The library was huge, so it was no surprise that there were books that he had never seen before there, but his curiosity still demanded that he ask what it was.

“And what kind of book is that?” he asked her, gesturing at her diary. “It looks old, which to me typically means interesting”.

Eri listened to him. She was tired, she never really got sleep these days. Not because she didn't want to miss sleep, she just got so tired she just can't sleep. She probably slept three hours yesterday. "I'm fine. I do want to keep reading. What are your favorite subjects?" She wasn't as tired as she looked. Well she hoped she didn't look as tired as she felt. 

Eri smiled and looked at the old book. "This is a journal. It was passed from my Greatgrandfather, my grandfather, my father, then to me. It is more like a story about everything they witnessed. There wasn't much room when my father got it. It was all filled out when I got it, but I have a second book that looks like this which is my journal. I guess you could say it is a non fictional." She said pointing to the book. "You like old books. They are quite interesting I think." She said closing the book. There wasn't many books she didn't like to read. She loved books. They were her favorite thing. And sometimes you could bond with people over books since lots of people like to read just have to find the right book.

Elrich let a small smile form across his face when she said she wanted to keep reading. He was not eager to return to the cold silence of the library just yet, especially not so soon after meeting somebody else with similar interests as him. When she posed the question about his favorite subject, he had to give it a long thought. He usually enjoyed the topics covered in classes quite a bit, but he was not sure if those were his favorites or not. “I guess now that I think about it, I really enjoy learning about magical creatures. I can’t wait until I’m old enough to take Care for Creatures,” he finally answered. His answer was a bit strange, now that he thought about it, because he almost never read about that topic. He was not allowed to deviate from the core subjects of his studies while growing up, and now that he was at Hogwarts he rarely had time for recreational studies. “And yours?”

When Eri began explaining what the book was, Elrich was practically mesmerized. The idea of such an heirloom was incredible to him. He hardly knew anything about his family; even his parents’ pasts were a bit of a mystery to him. To be able to look through his ancestor’s eyes and learn from their experiences through their writing would be a dream come true. “That’s simply amazing, I wish my family had done something like that. All I know about my great grandfather is his name, and that’s just because it’s the same as mine,” he remarked with admiration.

"I really enjoy transfiguration. I want to be an animagus like my Aunt. I know it's hard, but I can do it." She said smiling. He liked magical creatures. Which was a good subject. It was her favorite by far. A hard subject, but very interesting in deed. 

Eri looked down at her book and opened it. "Some of the stuff in here I wish I didn't know. Half of my family was for Voldemort and the other half was against him. Not a good thing to know some of your family were on the bad side of the wars." She frowns and shuts the book. Some family members did things that were horrible, for Voldemort.

Eri nodded as he talked about his great father having the same name as him. It was interesting. "That is interesting. The journal idea is cool and all, but some of the stuff is a bit violent." She says. Eri could have ripped those pages out, but it would ruin the history of her book. She closed the book and thought about grabbing another book to read. Her book was interesting, but she had read it thousands of times before. When she could read it.

So, she enjoyed transfiguration? That was one class he had always struggled with. Even with all of his studies, it would take him forever to even get a basic transfiguration perfected. And she aspired to be an animagus? She was right, that was no easy goal, but she seemed to be intelligent and hardworking, so he supposed she could attain it with due time and diligence. He also admired her confidence in her abilities. While he often considered any of his classmates to exhibit confidence to simply be arrogant, there was something about her that made him truly believe she could accomplish whatever she sought. “That’s a hefty goal you’ve set for yourself, but I’m sure you can do it,” he replied cheerfully, not quite sure where he got this sudden sense of optimism.

He listened intently as she explained the darker side of her family history. He felt a bit silly for his blind admiration of knowing one’s family history. “Yeah, I suppose not knowing about my family history could have some bright sides to it. Maybe it’s best I don’t know”, he said while still reflecting on what she had just explained. For all he knew, his grandparents could have been dark wizards. Germany, where they had lived, did not have a very good reputation at the time when it came to dark arts users, so it was a possibility. His parent must have had a reason for keeping it all from him.

He noticed her frown and contemplated what he could say to raise her spirits. “At least you’re a good person,” he started, but then trailed off, still trying to figure out what to say. After a moment, he finished with, “At least whoever you pass the journal onto will get to read about the wonderful things you did in your life and admire you for them”.

Eri smiled as he told her whoever she passed on the journal would be able to admire the good things she did. She didn't write everything in her journal, but enough to depict a lot of her daily activities and accomplishments. He also believed she would be able to be an animagus. It was a hard goal and she knew she would be able to accomplish the goal.

"You are right. At last I think I am a good person, but I'm only eleven. Still a long time to improve my self." She said matter of factly. She knew what she was talking about.

Eri looked at the books he had on the table. There were a bunch of them. All different kinds. He must have studied a lot. Since he seemed to have all sorts of subjects at the table. All seemed very interesting, but they were all school subjects. Maybe he was like her and didn't read many other things that weren't books related to study material. Which is a bummer. Some of the books she read when she was little were pretty good. Like Peter Pan and Alice Of Wonderland. Both great books to read when you can.

Elrich nodded at her statement in agreement. He often had to remind himself that he, and many of his classmates, were only eleven years old. To him, attending a wizarding school made things seem more serious than they actually were. And although having many years ahead of them meant they could improve upon themselves extensively, it also meant that there was a lot of room to change; for better or worse. Even the most well behaved and pure hearted of eleven-year-old could turn into the most horrible of people. He then came to his senses, realizing that was getting lost in his thoughts was not doing anything for his current situation, and he most certainly wasn’t going to mention any of that to her. He finally decided to simply say, “You’re right, we’re still young and have a lot of time to improve”.

Still not really wanting to return to his studies, he swiftly bounced through his thoughts trying to think of something to ask in order to prolong their conversation. On one hand he did not want to return to his studies, but on the other he did not want to keep her from her own studies. He settled on the assumption that if she wanted to continue, she would simply start reading. He eventually settled on simply inquiring, “So what do you typically write in your journal? That is if you don’t mind my asking”.

"I can tell you. I write my findings of things I think are interesting. I write about transfiguration, just stuff that happened and mainly how I plan to improve. I also just write about my day. It's pretty boring. I think." Eri said calmly. She believed her life was on the boring side. To Eri, her life was very boring to her. She didn't really read all the time, but it took up a great deal of her daily activities.

Eri looked down at her book and thought. Maybe she should ask him if he  knew what he wanted to be? "What do you want to be when you graduate?" She asked. There wasn't much she wanted to be. At the moment she had no clue. Though she would figure it out as she got older. Right now she was only eleven years old and she would need to learn a lot more before she choose her job.

Eri looked at Elrich, she wondered what he wanted to be, since he seemed to study a lot. Maybe he wanted to be a teacher, or something else that required a lot of studying to become. Well she would find out when he answered.

“Well it may seem boring to you, but I’m sure whoever it’s passed on to will enjoy reading about how you spent your days at Hogwarts”, he remarked, knowing that he would love to be able to read about his father’s days at Hogwarts, if only to know if he was as stuffy back then as he is now.

When she asked him what he wanted to be after graduation, he opened his mouth to answer and after a brief pause, closed it again. What did he want to be? “I suppose if it were up to my father I would try for a Ministry position in some branch or another. I’m not so sure if it would suit me well, though”, he finally replied. His father had always dropped not-so-subtle hints that he expected his only child to follow him in his line of governmental work. He also did not seem to care that his only child also happened to be only eleven years of age. Elrich’s age never stopped his parents from holding him to high expectations, especially in his father’s case. “I guess I’m not entirely sure what I want for myself yet. If I had to work in the Ministry, I’d prefer something like the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, though I doubt that’s really what my old man has in mind”, he responded, though lacking a whole lot of certainty.

“What about you? What do you think you want to do?”

Back