Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Bet you can't read  Abandoned 

Emmett looked back to see Eri, behind her. Opposite of what they had agreed to do. At least in his head, they did agree about finishing with a tie. He put his hands on his knees and bent his upper body a bit forward to catch his breath. She even congratulated him, only receiving something resembling a glare.

"No way. We finished in the same time. I know it." he would bluff his way out of it. He wanted the tie he had imagined in his head. She was the one risking their friendship right now in his own mind. The little scenario he had played out in his mind wasn't going the same way as the dreaded reality. Emmett inhaled the dusty air before smiling again with his trademark, stupid grin. He shook his head and finally stood up, rolling his shoulders back.

"Other than that, thank you. You're too fast of a runner, I don't want to run ever again." he said under his breath, grabbing her by the collar. Usually that was some kind of an indication that you were about to beat your mate up. He only wanted for her to stand up and join him to read those damned books she kept talking about. Lightly and very carefully he shook her collar a bit.

"Let's go, we're already here. You promised to hang out with me." his impatience shone as he now switched to yanking her hand. Trying to get her to follow him, it looked funny to the eyes of an outsider. Two children all red and breathless trying to get to the library, as if they had run away from a danger or something like that.

"Do I need to be a motivational speaker? Come on Eri Windstone. You can do it, I believe in you. Stand up or I'll have to resort into dragging you." he swiped his locks out of his face.

It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.

Eri frowned at him and stayed sitting. "Okay, you expect me to be able to get up and walk around after we ran for so long? I don't know what to think. At least we tied. Though I did agree to hang out, but do I really have to get up and follow you?" Eri frowned annoyed as he tugged on her collar. She tried to shake his hand off of her arm so he would stop annoying her. Was he really serious on dragging her around? The brunette didn't exactly know. He was hard to figure out. She rolled her eyes at him and sighed.

Eri's feet still ached but she was debating on wether she should stand and follow him or just sit and rest. The run was so tiring and she never wanted run again. "I guess I like to say a lot when I'm excited. This is one of my favorite places. Also I agree to not run like that again. My feet are killing me. Some kind of motivator. I feel so motivated." Eri rolled her eyes at him then looked at the ground where she sat and didn't know if she should stand or not since she was clueless about if he was seriously going to drag her.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Emmett stared at her down, drilling his eyes on her. He looked a tad bit amused. He scrunched his nose once again and tilted his head confused. Was she asking to be dragged? Was this considered a token of friendship? Dragging others across the rooms and halls when the other one was too tired to move? Is it considered romantic? Hell no, he had never seen his parents drag each other across the rooms.

"Yes." he said blatantly, smiling again like an idiot. He took his hand off when she rejected his generous offer and slid it behind his back, as if he was hiding something. The boy was trying to figure her out. Was she trying to run away again from him? No way, she was complaining about how her feet ached badly. Then again, she was a smart Ravenclaw. And perhaps she knew how to be cunning too while she was at it. She could stand up when he was distracted by something, and run away from him. To ensure that she wouldn't be able to do that, he crouched on her level.

Keeping his hands on his knees, he frowned and let out a long 'Hmmmm' escape his mouth. Humming, he studied her, wondering if she was lying to get away. Deeming that there were no traces of lies on her face, he smiled in a very warming way.
"I'll carry or drag you. Whatever you prefer!" he said with ridiculous confidence.

"Really? You have enough energy to do that? Thanks for the offer, but I think I can walk now." The brunette weighed her options and decided they would probably not be standing the whole time. Eri shook her head and stood up on her aching feet and looked around the library.  Finally, they were at her favorite place the library. She looked around. "Alright Emmet, what books do you want to read first? Maybe the Transfiguration books, or Defence Against the Dark Arts?" She asked curiously wondering if he liked to read about those subjects. She took a couple painful steps, her feet cramping. As she winced, but then a smile replaced the pained expression on her face. "Isn't this place so amazing? I could be here for hours."

Eri looked around and nudged him on the shoulder. "Come on. Before I decide to sit back down." She said jokingly. She was trying to hide that she could barely walk on her cramping feet, but she could manage. Why did she have to wear her black flats? They always gave her blisters when she ran. Probably cause her normal tennis shoes were still wet from when she spilled water on them.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Emmett nodded, wondering how did she just bounce back so quickly from sitting on the floor for a good minute. He was jealous, and wished to have the same healing ability as she did. When she was already on her feet, he stood up slowly too. His heart was still pumping considerably fast, and he still was in the process of catching his breath. The boy followed Eri to the library, like a toddler wobbling after his mother. He rarely visited the library, since everyone was required to be quiet there. His laugh was loud and contagious, and he didn't know how to be quiet anyway. Especially, with friends. And if he didn't have friends with him? He'd make them on the spot. Nothing a quick hello couldn't fix.

Tracing his finger through the shelves, he went through the books. He shot his head up when she called for his name. "It depends on my mood. I want to read something similar to what you're going to read. So we can obsess about it together." he was determined to befriend her. If she wasn't such a challenging person, he would have lost his interest in seconds. However, she was, so here we were.

When she nudged his shoulder, he held his hand over it and clicked his tongue. "Alright, I hear you mooooom." he sighed and looked at her with a disapproving look. When she winced quite visibly, he grew a bit more worried. Emmett didn't exactly want her tripping over him. Taking a random book out of the shelf, he kept his eyes on her.
"You can like, hold on to my shoulder until you're back to sitting. Granny." he masked his worry for some teasing, but was serious about it.

Eri rolled her eyes at him. "Okay, I'm not your mom. By the way. You might not be interested in what I like to read." She watched him look at the shelves. There weren't many people in the Library besides them. "I'm fine. Don't call me granny." She winced again and walked towards a shelf and grabbed a book on quidditch. "This interesting enough for you?" She opened the book and tried to walk again, but it came as a small limp. The brunette winced and shook off the pain and walked by the shelf looking at the books on the shelf.

Eri looked at him. Did she hear a small bit of concern? Maybe, but she couldn't tell. He probably just wanted to annoy her. "I'm fine really. So let's just move on. Now what topics interest you?" Eri frowned and looked at the books in front of her.

Really Eri was fine. She just had blistered feet and they were cramping. Also she may or may not have a sprained ankle from when she tripped.

Clearly Eri wanted to ignore the pain so she looked at all of the books she could find to interest her mind and distract her.

Emmett looked at her with eyes that screamed, 'duh, genius' before averting his gaze from her.
"Yeah, it's all in the generation gap." he said still sounding a bit distant. He kept staring at her legs, and then back at her eyes with yet another eyebrow raise.
He didn't like the idea of her being in pain. He didn't like the idea of anyone being in pain. She wasn't anyone special, nor an exception. As cruel as it sounds, that was how it was. He didn't care for many people, just was intrigued by them. Until they broke through his shell, of course. After that, he was basically dependent on that person after letting them in. Once you're in, you won't come out.

"Alright, I'll stop. For now." he smiled, again wearing that mischievous face. Once he saw that she grabbed something related to quidditch, he was weirded out to put it in a lighter way. She didn't seem like the person to be interested in those activities. Well, you learn something new everyday. Nodding slowly, he frowned a bit. His father was a quidditch referee, and used to be a star-player before hurting himself. Emmett disliked his family, so he didn't like to hear anything about that sport again. He preferred muggle sports over quidditch.

"You got a limp right there. I'm not moving on." he started sounding a tad bit forceful at this point. Eri was not okay, and Emmett was not okay with her not being okay. Common courtesy that she did not seem to understand. He left the book he was holding and stared at her, as if he was waiting for her to confess the pain.

Eri put the book back on the shelf and looked for another book. She didn't know of many books that she liked that were sports related. "Thank you. So how about...soccer?" Eri grabbed a book on soccer. At least he didn't say another joke or call her granny. "Look I'm not really interested in quidditch. I'm trying to find something you like so help me out here." Eri frowned and put the book back on the shelf. She looked at him and knew he wasn't buying her lie about being okay.

The brunette thought about making up a lie about how she was fine. Or he was imagining things.

Seeing how he wanted her to explain she sighed. "Fine. I think I twisted my ankle and I have small blisters on my feet. My feet are cramping too. Okay I'm fine though, so let's just forget about it. It happens all the time to me." She frowned and continued looking at the shelves avoiding eye contact. She didn't like admitting she was weak. Would e tease we? Probably not for meanness. She continued looking at the shelf trying to find a suitable book for them to read. Since he was inseatant on reading the same thing.

He dismissed her question about soccer. First of all, he found it creepy how she was reading him like an open book while he was still struggling to understand her. Although he was surprised, and it showed on his face for a while, he went back to blank again.
He kept quiet and didn't answer to anything she asked. Instead he still looked as serious as an eleven-year-old could possibly look. His eyes flicking from her feet to her eyes, he puckered his lips and narrowed his eyes. Hiding pain was the same thing as lying to him. Shaking his head subtly, he waited for the long waited explanation.

When she explained all that was wrong, he couldn't help but smile a bit. She finally cracked like he had suspected. He looked like a parent who had just caught their toddler lying. Still smiling, he slowly raised his brows. Something he had picked up from a close one to him, and now he constantly mimicked that gesture.
"So in other words, you're definitely not fine and you're definitely not staying in that condition in the company of Emmett." he sighed deeply and continued what he had started.

"You have to get that checked. I'll have to drag you to the hospital wing since you're that stubborn I suppose. Come on, I'll carry you. Piggyback ride!" he was serious about it this time.

Eri looked at him. What was he doing?  She shook her head. "I am fine. If you insist on taking me to the hospital wing, I'll walk. Since I am definitely okay." She smiled and looked at the shelf one last time. She stepped away from the shelf and wondered if she should walk by him or go around another way. She decided to walk by him. "Okay I know I'm stubborn, but I agreed to walk. Let's go." She looked at him and forced a smile. The brunette began to walk at a normal pace but it was a bit painful.

Why did Emmet care if she was in pain? Maybe cause he was actually wanting to be her friend. He was actually nicer than what she thought when she first met him. "Hey you know I have no clue what books you want to read. I was just reading the ones on the shelf." She said cause she noticed he was surprised when she asked about soccer. He was really hard to read sometimes, but he could let slip ups of emotion show. 

The brunette continued to make it look like she wasn't in pain. She hated seeming weak.

Emmett smiled widely. No piggyback rides, no achy backs for him! "I'm definitely okay." he imitated her tone. Although kids that age didn't really differ that much in tone, he still insisted on making his voice unnaturally high when he was imitating girls.
"Your loss." he shrugged as she started walking. Ouch, it looked very painful. The forced smile wasn't really convincing him. Sighing again for maybe the third time in this minute, he hurried next to her.

He played the moment again and noted something. She called football soccer. Heathen.
"It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop." he sounded real smart while saying that. At least he thought so. In reality, he just stole a famous Confucius quote. From word to word, no originality.

"It's still creepy. Look, even now you read the surprise off my face, or mind. I don't know. Wicked witch." Emmett said, knowing very well that she was, in fact, a witch. Nothing insulting in that. Maybe just the 'wicked' part was unnecessary. Spontaneously, he grabbed her arm with both hands. She was supposed to lean on him, but he was the one clinging to her.
"Friends forever." he imitated her tone again, not actually meaning that. Eri was still a puzzle, not a friend. He shifted his weight, so she would be the one relying on his arms. Not the other way around.

"Sorry, I can't help it. I'm for some reason good at reading emotions. Don't do that. I don't sound like that." She laughed as he mimicked what she supposedly sounded like.

Eri was surprised when he grabbed her arm. "Okay, but lets go. So we are friends now?" She didn't know if he meant it or not. She frowned so now she had to lean on him. Why couldn't he just think she was fine? She had no clue, but they just got here to the library. "Do we have to go now? We just got here." 

She frowned and decided to just roll with it. Emmet was so confusing at times. Well maybe they would be friends in the end.

Eri hated hospitals, but she guessed it wouldn't be all that bad she could just go and get it over with or she could be stubborn and stat here and read, but he would probably make her go to the hospital wing.

Eri shook her head and sighed. It could be worse. She liked the library, but I guess she had to leave it for know so they could go to the hospital wing. She wasn't even "that" hurt.

He wished that he had that kind of intuitive way to tell how everyone was feeling. It was probably a very useful skill, but he wondered if there was some kind of a flip side to that. Maybe she didn't want to always read everyone.
"Fine, I'll stop." he still mimicked her voice, but ultimately decided to stop it. She did ask for it after all. He didn't want to be a complete jerk, not just yet. Noting that she looked quite surprised when he called her his friend, he felt like he went a bit too far. Emmett was hesitant to call anyone his friend. People got comfortable with each other, but he still felt like he was overthinking every move he made. Every step he took was analyzed in his mind well before he acted on it. Did he still make stupid choices? Yes, quite often. His logic was funny.

"I don't know. Do you consider me as one?" he asked sheepishly, letting her go. Emmett didn't want to be known as a bother to her. He was well aware that he just got in there with her, but the boy did not really see why she wanted to endure the pain. He wasn't going to ridicule her about spraining her ankle or anything..Maybe.

"Yes we do. I don't think that anyone voluntarily wants to endure pain and worsen their condition. Unless Eri Windstone is an exception." he shrugged and looked at her again, this time in the eyes and not her feet.

"I mean, we just met, and I haven't gotten the chance to try to figure you out. So maybe give it a little longer?" Eri was glad he stopped using that high pitched voice. It was driving her crazy. She noticed he let go. Now she could fake being okay again. She laughed. "No I am not an exception, but the books. Can't we read one?" Why couldn't they just read? Well, guess not. She rolled her eyes. Her blisters weren't hurting as bad. Eri looked at him wondering if he would let her stay and read, but he told her she needed to go.

Eri rolled her eyes again and shrugged. They weren't friends yet. They literally just met and raced here after starting off on the wrong conditions. "Emmet, you are going to make me go aren't you? I think you might be more stubborn than I am." The brunette smiled and stopped putting all of her weight on her uninsured ankle and tried to even it out on both feet. It was painful so she stopped. Well, maybe they could take a book with them or she could just read the ones she had in her bag. 

Eri looked at him and defiantly grabbed a book off the shelf, it was a charms book. "Okay this interesting." She said to herself.

Figure him out. He wasn't sure if he would want her to figure him out. Emmett wasn't sure if he allowed her to figure him out. That would mean letting his defenses down. Didn't sound very appealing to him, not now. He was glad that she agreed that he wasn't a friend, even if it sounded very harsh. He still had a feeling of rivalry with her. Friendly enemies, frenemies?

"You're so enthusiastic about books. It's kind of funny." he pointed out as he stopped walking and stared at the shelves for a while. What would she possibly pick from all of these thousands of books stacked next to each other. He barely could choose what he would eat in the mornings. There were way too many options to choose from, encouraging indecisiveness. However Eri seemed like a person who knew what she wanted.

"I'm not stubborn. I'm just being rational." he argued, still believing that he was right about not letting her just sit around and wait for her pain to get even worse. Who does that? And voluntarily too!

Seeing that she picked a book about charms, he smiled a bit. It was funny how she decided to pick something to do with studying. Although Emmett loved learning, he detested studying. Those were two different things. Studying was information crammed in his brain and shoved down his throat, while learning was pleasant and something he could actually remember. He liked learning the hard way, mistakes were only part of the journey. So when he got that 'Dreadful' grade, he couldn't help but be frustrated.

"Gee." he sighed and subtly shook his head while crossing his arms.

Back