Library

Register
Sign in

A Quiet Place to Escape To  Closed 

As soon as dinner was over, Cara ran around the halls, searching for the library. She opened door after door after door to no avail. Finally, she opened a door and smiled to herself when she saw books. Thousands and thousands of books. She attempted to close the door quietly but ended up closing it on her finger. She winced and pulled her finger out, sticking it in her mouth. She shook her head and mentally scolded herself for getting injured on the first day. Ignoring the throbbing pain in her finger, she thumbed her way through the many shelves of books before settling on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. She recognized the title from her supplies list and pulled it off of the shelf. She didn't really feel like finding her room right at this moment, so she decided to get some early studying in before her classes the next day. She found a corner in the back of the library, where students couldn't really see her unless they tried. She opened the book and began reading, immediately fascinated by the hundreds of creatures written in the pages. Sure, she had heard of dogs, cats, and other muggle animals, but these 'hippogriffs' and 'house-elves'? Those were new to her. Her eyes widened when she found the pages about phoenixes and dragons. She had heard about them in the stories her mum and dad told her before she went to bed, but never in her life had she thought them to be real!

Cara Lillian Moore

Skyler had been in the library for quite some time now. Whenever she had free time, she explored the shelves with great curiosity. Honestly, she could spend hours scanning the spines and contents of the multitude of books if it weren’t for her actual studies. For this library trip, though, she has a specific book in mind.
Ever since becoming aware of the wizarding world and all that it has to offer, she had become quite enraptured by the mythical beasts that it contained. Well, that and equal parts the history. Unlike those who came from families containing wizards and witches alike, Skyler had no idea about the rich history of the world that she was now a part of, its contents, or it’s future. She yearned to learn more and the mysterious creatures that resided here were her top priority.
The particular book, however, was nowhere to be seen. Maybe she wasn’t remembering the name correctly? She continued her search of the shelves, a small huff escaping her. Maybe someone had it? She was somewhat upset but decided that maybe another book would do for now. Her hands reached and grabbed a book pertaining to the history of Hogwarts, flipping through the pages as she found herself a place to sit. She scanned there area, just in case she saw someone coming to return the book.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Cara soon got bored of the book she held in her hand, so she stood up and went to look for another one. She prefers to read fiction over non-fiction, so the pages of scientific facts about the plethora of animals Cara couldn't even imagine until now, which was saying a lot, didn't really appeal to her. In school, Cara would get in trouble for day-dreaming and not be listening in class, even though she had a perfect report card. She walked to where she took the book off the shelf and replaced it. Once again she ran her fingers over the spines of the book, looking for a new one to immerse herself into. A thick book caught her eye and she pulled it off of the shelf. The cover read A History of Magic, and Cara was intrigued. History was her favourite class in school, so anything about the past was an eye-catcher to Cara. The name under the title read Bathilda Bagshot, and Cara raised an eyebrow, or, attempted to. "What a curious last name..." she mumbled to herself. "Must be a wizard thing." Cara shrugged and made her way back to her spot, opening the book and fixating her eyes on the small print.

Cara Lillian Moore

Her eyes spotted the Slytherin girl with the book of her desire placing it back onto the shelf and almost immediately stumbled to go retrieve it. With hands shooting out to grab hold of the bookcase to catch her balance, she returned her current book to it's rightful before picking the other one off the shelf. Finally. Her hands traced the lettering as she soon recognized the name of the author. Newt Scamander. He was a Hufflepuff, too. Ever since being sorted into Hufflepuff, some of the other stundents in different houses had teased her about it. Apparently Hufflepuff is a low tier house to some people. But the fact that a previous house member wrote a book that many higher-ups look to is amazing.

Skyler soon realized that she looked quite silly staring at the cover a book for 5 minutes straight. She fumbled around to keep hold of the book as she quickly glanced through the pages. The drawings of the mythical beasts absorbed all of her attention as she read the descriptions of some of them. "The Augurey... Some sort of Irish phoenix..?" She whispered to herself.

A few other browsers of the library gave her odd glances, wondering what was so great about one book that someone would seem that frantic about it.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Cara looked up from her book when she saw someone stumble right in the spot she had just been. The Hufflepuff girl grabbed the book off the shelf that she had just replaced, and Cara mentally slapped herself. Of course someone needed the book she was reading for pleasure. She was, however, curious about why the girl needed to read the book so desperately. She debated in her mind whether or not to go up to the girl and ask her, going back and forth between 'It'll be a good way to make friends' and 'I don't want to disturb her'. As her brain had its argument, Cara wrapped and unwrapped a lock around her hair, trying but failing to focus on the words in front of her. Finally, she decided to go for it and either make a new friend or ruin the chances of having one. She stood up and, after giving herself a mini pep-talk, made her way over to the girl. "H-Hi, umm, I'm Cara. Do you mind if I sit?" Cara asked, motioning to the spot next to the girl. She still held the thick book in her hands, not yet wanting to put it down.

Cara Lillian Moore

After skimming the artwork contained in the book, she actually started to read the information provided about each creature, growing more and more intrigued by the second. Her focus on the book was soon snapped.

Skyler was slightly startled by the unfamiliar voice, not really accustomed to speaking with people in the library, much less one of a different house. She spent a majority of her free time either in the Hufflepuff common room or here with her nose in a book. It's not that she didn't want to socialize with fellow student or possibly make friends, there were just so many people. She didn't know where to start.

"O-Oh! Of course not!" The young girl awkwardly scooted over to assure enough space for the other one. "I'm Skyler. Pleasure to meet you." She started to extend her hand out to shake the other's, but immediately pulled it back. Too formal. A finger kept it's place on the spot in the book where she had left off, her eyes wandering to the one of the Slytherin girl's... Cara, she corrected herself. "History of Magic? I read some things out of that one not too long ago. Truly fascinating stuff, yeah?"

Cara smiled and pulled up a chair next to Skyler. She sat down and placed her book in front of her, opening it back up to where she had stopped reading. "Yeah, it's really cool. I want to educate myself so I don't seem like a complete idiot." Cara laughed softly to herself, then she looked over at Skyler's book. "Sorry for keeping it for so long. I didn't know someone else needed it. I already finished my homework, so I decided to do some pleasure reading, but I couldn't find any fictional books. I was always fascinated by animals back at home, so when I saw a book here about them I picked it up immediately." Cara paused and took a deep breath, then blushed and looked down as she realized that she just rambled to a complete stranger, which was nothing like Cara at all. "Sorry, I'm just, I'm just nervous, I guess. I mean, I didn't even know that witches were real until a little under two years ago!" Cara laughed again and laid her head down on the book. "Sorry." Cara paused, then remembered what she was going to say. "Why did you need to see the book so urgently? You almost fell over trying to get to it."

Cara Lillian Moore

"Don't worry, you're good!" Skyler gave a smile, glancing back to her own book. "I didn't want to make you rush." Her fingers played with the pages of the books, pondering here head for the correct words to answer her question.

"I'm the same. I was not aware a world like this was even possible. The first time I heard about the different creatures and all that it was home to I knew I immediately had to look into it. They're all so fascinating..." Skyler excitedly flipped the pages before pointing to a Demiguise. "Ya see, these guys posses the powers of invisibility AND they can see the future. How cool is that? Only the most well-trained can see them. You can even make invisibility cloaks with their hair!" She cleared her throat with a slight blush. "Sorry. Library." She continued to flip through the pages mindlessly. [b "One day I wish I could publish a book like this and it become a need for the Hogwarts curriculum... That and pet a dragon."[/b] Skyler laughed softly. "I'd say that one may top the whole book publishing thing, though. Definitely at the top of my list."

Skyler was surprised at how easily she was opening up to this new acquaintance.

Cara smiled, enjoying how passionate Skyler was about this topic. "That it is really cool." She laughed softly. "So, you're a writer? What do you like to write? I personally like reading and writing fiction, but I couldn't find any of that here, so I picked up that book. It wasn't that interesting to me, so I put it back and picked up this one." Cara said, pointing down at the book in front of her. "History was my favourite subject in school because it's almost like fiction, but it actually happened. What was your favourite subject? Sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions, aren't I? You see, I wasn't the most popular girl at my school, because I would rather be reading than doing whatever the other girls were doing. I didn't really have a lot of friends, but I wanted to change that when I got here so now I'm talking to you. I mean, I'm not talking to you just to be your friend, well, I am, but you're really cool from what I've picked up so far." What Cara had said was true, about her not having many friends. While she was 9 and 10, she was often picked on for being 'weird', only because she could do stuff the other kids couldn't.

Cara Lillian Moore