Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Unlucky Day  Finished 

It was a crummy day for Elsie. She had slept in this morning. She stubbed her pinkie toe on her way out of her dorm. Not wanting to be late for morning lessons, she had to skip breakfast. The only slimmer of hope was her little break after lunch. After a quick bite to eat to sustain her hunger, she quickly scurried to her little home away from home, the Library. It was a perfect place to find the exact information you needed for homework. Unfortunately, Elsie had misplaced her notes from Potions and was missing some information for her essay that would be due the next day.

'At least I came today instead of tomorrow.' Elsie thought looking through the sections of books. Her Potions lesson book was in her dorm and there was no way she was going to have enough time to climb a flight of stairs, solve the Eagle's riddle, and the go down again. Besides, the Library was bond to have something on how to cure boils. Finally after looking for a good minute, Elsie found a book titled Potions for Practical Ailments on one of the lower shelves. 'Jackpot! That's bond to have what I need' she mentally cheered grabbing the book from the lower shelf.

Once the book was in her grasp she held it tightly walking towards the Library tables. 'I hope there's an empty one.' she thought looking around. Much to her delight there was an empty table just a yard away. 'I guess today isn't so bad after all.' After placing the book on the table, Elsie got out her parchment and her pen. Yes thats correct, not a quill but a muggle pen. Elsie didn't particularly care for quills. They ended up being too much of a hindrance. She found pens to be more convenient. However, just as the was about to sit down, Elsie bumped her pen knocking it down under the table. It would have been fine if she hadn't bumped her head on the top of the table after retrieving it. 'I guess today is not my day,' she sighed messaging where she hit her head, 'I just hope that it doesn't get worse.'
Last edited by Elsie Hoagland on 3rd May 2018, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Lucien had been in the library researching potion inredients and plants. He was working on a potion that could fix eyesight permanently. At that he planned on making it to where the potion only had to be taken once. It was a work in progress but he was getting there. The Raven haired boy looked for an empty table before finally finding one. The small boy wasn't fond of sitting with people who could distract him from his work or make fun of how short he was. He found four books that could be of use to him. Three of them were on herbs and magical plants while the last was one about crucial potion tips and tricks. He sat down his books, his notebook, and his quill on the table when he heard a loud thud from under the table. A girl sat up rubbing her head which she must have hit creating the sudden noise. Lucien stared silently for a bit before realizing staying silent might have embarrassed her even more than she might have already been. "I- uh...hi." was basically all he could come up with to say to the girl. "Are you ok? I thought the table was empty...Do..do you, uh, mind if I sit here? M-most of the other tables make fun of my height." He mentally slapped himself across the face for coming off as an awkward person.

My eyes aren't both blue. One is green. One is blue.
~
My theory. Music can fix anything. Anything.

Unlucky Day  Finished 

"Are you ok? I thought the table was empty...Do..do you, uh, mind if I sit here? M-most of the other tables make fun of my height." Elsie looked up her hand still on her head. There in front of her was a boy. He was fairly short, had dark hair, had glasses, and after further observation, Slytherin robes, and two different colored eyes.

"I'm okay just bumped my head." Elsie explained as the stood back up, one hand holding her pen and the other still holding her head. "Today has been sort of inconvenient for me. " she put her hand down once she deemed her head alright. However, she was sure that she would most likely get a headache from it later. But to answer your question, yes you can sit here. I was just working on Potions homework." She answered shyly before sitting back down in her seat. She could get quite nervous around strangers. But from what she could tell from the other boy seemed to be rather nervous as well.

"I'm Elsie by the way. Elsie Hoagland." she introduced trying her best to make eye contact and give a nervous smile. Of course her cheeked burned a little. She disliked being a natural blusher. "What's your name?"

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Lucien thanked her and took his seat. The girl had introduced herself as Elsie Hoagland. He was a bit nervous when she made eye contact. Most people would notice that he had two different eye colors and call him a freak. He quickly looked down to avoid her gaze. The girl seemed nice, but he didn't want to risk getting called a freak of nature. He hadn't heard the last name before so he assumed she was a half-blood or a muggle-born. "Nice to meet you. I'm Lucien Avery Escanora. Most people just call me Lu or Avery." He said with a smile despite still looking down. Perhaps he was too formal about his introductions but he payed no mind to it. Lucien opened all four books flipping to different pages and writing certain things down on his notebook for. "You said you were working on potions right? Are you good at it?" If she was a natural at it Lucien figured she could help him figure out a problem he had been working on for about a year and a half. He had started his research around age 8 and was just getting to where he could try putting different things together to combine like traits. He figured he would get his cure for myopia by the time he was in 6th or 7th year.

~

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Lucien, which Elsie learned was the boy's name, seemed to avert his gaze away from her. Elsie shyly chose to take interest in the floor instead. She hadn't meant to be intimidating or insulting. "Well its nice to meet you Avery." She replied using his middle name and trying to give a comforting smile.

"You said you were working on potions right? Are you good at it?" Lucien or Avery asked. Elsie was unsure to respond. When it came to research and reporting about Potions she was good but her actual potion making skills were average for a first year.

"I wouldn't call myself exceptionally skilled at it but I haven't blown anything up yet. I've actually enjoy History of Magic the most though I wouldn't call me an expert."She replied honestly. "What about you? Is there a class you like or are good at?" she internally scolded herself for possibly prying. It wasn't her job to know what he did or didn't like. What if he got uncomfortable again? Then again, asking questions helps you to get to know people. At least that is what her parent try to remind her. Elsie tried to calm herself a little by looking through her books table of contents. "I'm sorry if I was prying. I was just curious."

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Lucien smiled still avoiding any possible eye contact as best as he could. He nodded in understanding when she spoke of potions. "Not blowing anything up is good." He said with a slight laugh. He flipped a page in his book before he spoke again. "Don't worry, it's not prying, I don't mind. I'm really good at herbology and potions. My Uncle taught me about magical plants when I was younger. I haven't had too many experiences with potions though. I suppose I'm a natural at it. Apparently it runs in the family." He said looking up for he first time. He took off his glasses which made his green eye and his blue eye shine a little brighter without the glasses deflecting some of the light. He cleaned them off since they had a smear from where he had let another student try them on. Once he deemed them clean enough he put the back on his face so he could see clearer once more. He dipped his quill in a bottle of ink before neatly scrawling a few more small notes on the parchment he had. "Have you thought about Quidditch or dueling? My sister says they're rather fun. I haven't tried them." He said it rather quietly just barely loud enough to hear.

~

Unlucky Day  Finished 

"I've sort of thought about doing Quidditch." Elsie admitted, My dad works for the Dailey Prophet as a sports journalist so I am familiar with it. But living in the city hasn't really given me a whole lot of practice." Elsie was more of a book smart individual. Not that she was bad with hands on assignments. She just had some trouble understanding it. Guess thats just makes her unique.

Quidditch was one of those things she was one the fence about. She figured she'd be alright at it but she wasn't sure how much she'd enjoy it. She wasn't particularly a sporty type. She did find the strategy of the game interesting. "If there was a position for strategist I'd probably then play." Elsie spoke thought fully turning the page of her book. She still hadn't quite found what she was looking for. However, the next chapter did seem promising. "I suppose my Ravenclaw is showing huh?" she commented quietly her a light blush on her cheeks. She gave Avery a smile. This time her tooth gap becoming noticeable. It really was only noticeable when she smiled. She didn't exactly hate it. On the contrary, she was quite proud of her tooth gap. It gave her character. "Are thinking about joining the Slytherin Quidditch team?"

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Lucien nodded listening to the other girl. At the word Daily Prophet he wrinkled his nose. Those people had written more trash about his family than Lucien had read books, which said a lot. Then Elsie said he worked as a sports journalist. The sports section didn't come up with utter likes so he didn't mind it. "Strategist hm? I probably would do that as well." He said quietly smiling. He was almost put in Ravenclaw so it would make sense to him. Then she asked if he was thinking about joining the Quidditch team. He laughed quite loud when she asked. "No, I'd never try. My sister is on the team though. I'm not a sporty kind of person. I prefer to study. I work on creating new potions and spells, by the look of it I'll be close to getting done by 7th year." He said flipping a few more pages in the first and fourth book before writing a few things down again. "I had thought of dueling. However it would take time from my studies. I would have to spend even more time delaying the final version of what I've been working on." He said thinking about it a bit more. He hadn't decided if he wanted to join official or not.

~

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Elsie noticed the expression that Lucian made when she had mentioned the Daily Prophet, where her father works. I guess she couldn't blame him. Daily Prophet was hard business. Even the sports section came with harsh controversy and negative criticism. But she knew her dad could take it and that he loved his job as a reporter. It would take a lot more than some bad press to make him give up. Although journalism was a desired occupation for Elsie and the most reasonable and logical place to work would be the Daily Prophet, the amount of backlash and harsh critics and audience made her question if it would be worth it.

"I suppose those activities would hinder one from their studies." Elsie noted before finally finding a paragraph about curing boils in her book. One more paragraph and her essay should be complete.

"What kind of potion or spell are you trying to make?" The idea of creating your own spell or potion was intriguing to her. Although she wasn't sure how much of a help she could be. Her potions grade was average but not impressive. However, if there was any research that needed to be done she would be more than happy to give her assistance."I'm not sure how much help I could be but I'm willing to lend a hand if you need it. If you want me to that is." Lucian seemed very shy but nice. Elsie hoped that she wasn't overstepping any boundaries by offering her assistance.

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

"Well, I'm working on two currently and have other side notes for ones to come later. I'm working on one to cure myopia which is near sightednes. I'm wanting to make it a one use potion so it's taking more time than I expected." Lucien loved to explain his future plans to people. He supposed most people were proud of their work. "I'm working on another as well.
It's supposed to cure my younger sister of her Schizophrenia. She has outbursts of anger, sometimes she disconnected from reality. I want to help as many as I can that suffer like her."
Even if it means testing t on animals and other people... However he didn't mention the last bit to the Ravenclaw girl. He wondered if it was wrong of him to risk so much for his sisters well being. He shrugged it off after a bit of thinking.Besides...most people would do anything for someone they loved dearly right? Lucien flipped closed all four books and put a cap on the ink so he didn't knock it over getting up. He quickly put the books back and returned to the table with 3 others. He flipped through them looking for anything else that could have been of use to him.

~

Unlucky Day  Finished 

Elsie listened closely to Lucian's explanation. He wanted to learn how to create a potion to cure near sightedness and another to cure Schizophrenia. Those were some high ambitions. But those had to be risky cases. Dealing with eyes in general could cause irreplaceable damage if not careful. She wasn't sure about the case with Schizophrenia. She knew very little about it. "I'm assuming you've researched about them. The conditions I mean." she stated mostly out of curiosity. Of course he would do that! She was sure he probably did have a better understanding than most about the two subjects.

"I think it very ambitious of you wanting to create those cures." she commented quietly, "Not everyone is loyal to their family and I believe that doing what you can to help your sister is a very good ambition to have." her flushed cheeks grew a little more pink after her compliment.

While Lucian went to retrieve more books, Elsie finished up with her essay. She sighed in relief that she was able to complete it in time. She thought about putting the book back but she was interested to see what the other chapters held. Maybe she would have a leg up in her next potion lesson.

Elsie looked up from her book once Lucian retuned. Elsie bit her lip timidly before speaking again. "So I'm guessing you want to be a healer or portioner. You seem to have a passion for it. Do you have any other hobbies?"

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

The dark haired boy gave a slight smile. "Yes, I've researched them for...hm well...about a couple years now. Not sure of the exact dates I started. I wouldn't say I'm exactly loyal to the family though. I go against a lot of what my Aunt and Uncle stand for. I'm loyal to my two younger siblings but that's about it." He said to the Elsie after turning to different pages in his book. He found a page on dragon's blood finally but it was blank, almost as if the thing didn't exist. He figured it was probably and enchantment or a charm to keep students from reading about it, which he didn't understand due to it being a potion ingredient. He looked in other books for the ingredient he had been researching. When Lucien looked up he noticed Elsie had bit her lip before she spoke to him again. "I would like to be a healer. With all the possible things that could go wrong I want to make some of them easy to fix. However, so far it hasn't been easy." He said with a slight laugh. "Also be careful with biting your lip, if you bite it too much it might bleed." He said before accidentally making eye contact for a bit and then quickly looking down to avoid it.

~

Unlucky Day  Finished 

"I'm assuming that your Aunt and Uncle stand for pureblood beliefs." Elsie spoke cautiously. She probably shouldn't have said anything. There was no need to open any bitter subjects. Her dad had told her how some people could be due to their beliefs of blood purity. She didn't understand it, then again she was only a half-blood.

Lucian had admitted that he wanted to become a healer. "I think it will be a good occupation for you. Seeing how you're interested in Herbology and Potions of course. " Elsie found it cool that he already knew what kind of occupation he wanted. " I guess I'm still on the fence about what I want to do. I'd love to pursue a writing career but that probably would entail me working at the Daily Prophet." she paused giving a little sigh, "But I'd don't think that I'd do well working in that environment."

Lucian had advised her to be careful about biting her lip. She self consciously looked down timidly. "Sorry its an old habit of mine." she quietly admitted. It was just a natural response she learned to do when she was nervous, overemotional, or just deep in concentration or thought. It wasn't like she wanted to make her lip bleed. However, it had taken her a little off guard when Lucian had mentioned her habit. It jut had become so natural over the years that she never really thought of it. "Guess thats something I need to work on."

Elsie N. Hoagland

Unlucky Day  Finished 

"Yes, they stood for pure-blood beliefs and many other horrible things. My siblings are very similar to them but not to the extremes my Aunt and Uncle are. My Father didn't believe in it though, neither did my mother." He said quickly, he didn't want people thinking his whole family was so bad. Most people stereo typed pure-bloods like pure-bloods stereotyped others- meaning most people were always incorrect about the other person. "I wouldn't advise working in with The Daily Prophet. They write too many false articles for my liking, always getting the story wrong. Of course that isn't my business though." He turned a few more pages unable to find what he was looking for. He had spent ages looking for a single ingredient but could only ever find three things on it. He turned to the next page before face palming. This whole time he had thought he needed to use Dragon's Blood. The top of the page read 'Salamander Blood' in rather large letters. Under neath it was a photograph of the ingredient with a simple explanation of it. He read over the words one last time. Salamander Blood contains healing and rejuvenating properties, can be used to brew strengthening potions. He had been studying the wrong thing the whole time. He quickly scribbled out and rewrote some things on the parchment he had.

~

Unlucky Day  Finished 

"Guess you're right about the Daily Prophet." Elsie agreed, "Thats why I'm on the fence about it. They want you to write what they want and if you don't say goodbye to your career. Even though the sports section isn't as bad, if my dad seems the least bit biased the fans will surely scrutinize him. Its a tough business. However, if you ever want to be serious about journalism and you want to go far, its really the only place to go." Elsie sighed closing her book and putting away her finished essay. " I want to be a writer, maybe even a journalist. But I don't know if I could tolerate that kind of atmosphere. I'm not my dad. He's brave and doesn't care if people dislike his work. Because he's doing what he loves. I love writing too but I'm not brave like him." Elsie gave another sigh. She never really vented about stuff like this. It was comforting but at the same time made her rather self-conscious. "Sorry for dumping that all on you. Guess I got a little carried away." she apologized giving a small embarrassed smile. It felt good to talk to someone, but it did embarrass how much she did speak. She made eye contact when she smiled right before shying away and tuning her eye to her hands, which here place on her lap.

Elsie N. Hoagland
  Back