Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Lurking in Shadows  Open   Abandoned 

Levi wandered the Library and its tonnes of books, just imagining how long it took to create a home to nearly all wizarding knowledge. Books are probably added every day, thought the young Hufflepuff. He passed one of the tables, looking at the book that was laid on it, a biography on some alchemist named Nicholas Flamel. The front of the book was a picture of Flamel, moving of course, as he held a stone in his hands. Levi dismissed it immediately. The boy found the Dragon Section of the Library and poured over a book about dragons and their habitats.

Levi put the book back and continued along the shelves, reading the titles of books on their spines. His neck began to be sore from craning round to read, since it would take too much time to pick them all out. Leaving the Dragon Section behind, with it noted in his brain for further pursue of knowledge, Levi went into another row of shelves. Somewhere around him, a growl began as if the dark-haired boy had triggered some sort of alarm. He glanced around, not spying anything. There was a pad of soft feet and the shelf on his right wobbled slightly, as if something had leapt off it.

Levi was starting to feel uneasy. What was lurking in the shadows of the Library, and the rest of the school? 

- Left HiO -

Sorry I responded so late.
Eri walked throughout the library. Her favorite place. She had a goal to read every book in the library. It probably wouldn't happen in her first year it might take her all seven years. She loved the library. Reading was the only thing that kept  her from an emotional break down.

The brunette was walking down an isle of transfiguration books. She found an interesting one for first years and she picked it up. Smiling at herself she continue walking through the library. It was amazing to her how big the library was. It held so many books.

The brunette walked towards another shelf with a boy in it and heard some sort of growl. The shelf wobbled and she looked at it curiously. "Do you hear that or was that just my imagination?" She looked at him curiously. He seemed to be uneasy so she guessed he heard it to. It was kind of creepy. Something could be lurking in the library and they all wouldn't know it. Now she was getting a bit scared. It could be some kind of monster. A very dangerous monster. They could be in danger but surely if it was a monster the professors would know about it. Right?

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Ami, earbuds in, decided that if she wanted to get any work done at all, she'd have to be away from people so she wouldn't get distracted. Walking to the back corner of the library, carrying all of her textbooks, notebooks, and colorful array of sparkly gel pens with her, she sat down between shelves in a shadowy corner, and started on her Potions homework, biting the end of her pencil nervously. Sheesh, this made no sense.

That had been two hours ago.

Now, it was well past lunchtime, and her stomach told her so, growling a complaint. She reached into her satchel, taking out an apple, and absentmindedly bit into it, crossing out an unnecessary bit in the Herbology essay she was currently writing. She heard some students a couple of shelves over talking, and she pulled out an earbud to listen, accidentally knocking into the shelf, causing it to wobble. "Frick," she mumbled, holding still. She peered out through the books and saw two pairs of legs standing a few feet away, and she retreated back into the shadows. She recognized one of them as Eri Windstone, a brunette Ravenclaw that she'd met a couple of days ago at breakfast, and the other student's robes marked him as a Hufflepuff. 
Last edited by Ami Procoppio on 23rd April 2018, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esse quam videri
STA: 2 | AGI: 4 | STR: 7 | CTL: 6 | ArcP: 4 | ACC: 7

Been caught up in other real-life stuff, sorry I didn't reply!

Levi was distraught, something had literally pounced away from him above. When Eri had appeared, Levi kind of just tried speaking, then failed miserably. He pointed to above, then indicated to be QUIET. 

"Do you hear that or was that just my imagination?"

Levi nodded, walking past Eri and coming out by where Ami was. He'd noticed the shelf wobble, so he was worried whatever had been up above had come down to ground level. Staring intently at the shadows, Levi glanced over where Ami was hidden, frowned slightly then kept going. There was a hiss above and the soft pad of feet once again. 
This is turned into some low-budget horror film, hasn't it? Levi wondered to himself. 

"What the heck is going on?" Levi managed to say, looking towards Eri. "I feel creeped out right now." The Hufflepuff turned to where Ami was hidden again, thinking he'd heard a noise. Eyebrows furrowed, the dark-haired boy picked his wand out of his robe pocket. 
"Who's there?" he asked, his voice shaking slightly. "Come out!" Levi's wand was pointed right where Ami's head should be. 

His hand trembled slightly as he held the wand. He wondered, What if it comes out and kills me right here, right now? That would suck a lot! 

- Left HiO -

"Please stop! You are freaking me out. There wouldn't be something that could kill us in this school. Right?" He was making her scared. There wouldn't be a beast that could kill everyone in the school? At least she thought there wouldn't be. She didn't believe her doubts. It  was Hogwarts after all. Anything could happen. She shook her head and looked at him. "What if whatever in the shadows jumps out at you?" She looks at the shadows where his wand is pointing. This might end very badly and she didn't want to die. This was scary to her.

She walks behind the shelf and draws her wand. "What do you want me to do? What if it jumps out? Do you want me to fire a spell at it? Maybe get a professor?" She had so many questions for the Hufflepuff. She was glaring at the shadows where the "monster" was. She was about to turn and leave. She walks away from the shelf she was hiding behind and stands next to Levi with her wand drawn. It was pointed at Ami's head. She was ready to fire any spell at whatever monster came and jumped out at them.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Ami's eyes widened, and she let out a string of cuss words (that no eleven-year-old should know) under her breath. Slowly, like she'd been taught to do, she stood up, hands behind her head, and stepped out into the light. Like usual, she'd ditched her robes, and was wearing "street clothes"; black camisole, ripped jeans, flowy cardigan, and combat boots. "Please don't hurt me," she said quietly. She nearly added, "I'm sorry that I wanted to do my homework in peace and quiet." But she didn't, of course- she was a good girl, and didn't talk back. Girls who talked back got slapped or shot at. It was just how Chicago worked.

She probably looked like a monster, like Eri and the Hufflepuff boy were speculating. Wild, untamed hair, earbuds dangling around her neck, lint and dust covering her clothing. She was still holding three or four gels pens and had a highlight perched on her ear- a clear sign that the two students were interrupting her studies. Her expression betrayed nothing of her lividness on the inside, only communicating confusion and a hint of fear. "I'm... I'm not a monster. Please don't tell the professors I'm not in robes," she added for good measure, not sure if they would rat her out or not.

esse quam videri

Levi's eyes scanned Ami. He hadn't actually expected another human there. His mind was too preoccupied with the growling and things, he had thought that it had crept over here. In the back of his mind, he thought about where the growling had headed. He wasn't sure. 

Levi became very unsettled. "I won't hurt you, and I see you're not a monster. And I won't tell the professors about no robes." Levi looked up to the top of the bookshelves, now distracted.

Levi's mind was lost in thought. He had no idea where the thing was. He remembered learning a charm about light, but it was lost in the muddle that was his brain. Finally, Levi whispered 

"Lumos," and a light shone from the boy's wand. He raised the wand to illuminate the top of the shelves. The light barely reached. Then he thought he heard a pad to his left. Levi pointed the wand towards it, and saw two green eyes reflected back at him by the light. "HEY!" Levi yelled and the eyes took off. Levi darted after, leaving the others behind.

Where the heck is it? Levi thought. Come on! Levi turned a corner and yelled out in panic. 

- Left HiO -

Eri decided to leave him to chase his "monster". She walked in the row of shelves next to him. The brunette climbed up the side of the row carefully so she could reach a book. Grabbing the book the brunette began to climb down with the book tucked under her chin. Bad idea, it sliped and landed with a thud! A bit surprised she almost lost her footing. Loud noises scare her. When she looked up the brunette had an idea. She climbed to the top of the bookshelf where only her eyes were showing and she looked down at Levi. Then the Eri made a growling noise that sounded like that of a lion or some ferocious animal.

Little did Eri know that Levi actually saw an animal. She was just trying to play around. It was fun to mess with him.

Eri continued her growling making sure only her emerald green eyes could be seen. The brunette didn't even think about Levi possibly firing a spell at her. Well it would be her fault if he did.

What if the other creature came towards her thinking she was another beast? That would be terrifying. Just in case she pulled out her wand.

Ami blinked in surprise as Eri and the other boy (Let's just call him Wolfgang, for now, Ami decided in the back of her head. If one is to name a mystery boy, let us name him after one of the most mysterious composers I know.) both disappeared off to who knows where. Still groggy and school-orientated, she turned around in a few circles, watching in bewildered amusement as Wolfgang scuttled off, chasing after a monster of some sort or the other. 

Imagine that! A monster, a real-live monster, here in Hogwarts. Of course, she'd learned about grindylows from Lorelai, but she didn't think they would survive out of the water. But a monster, here, in the library? Maybe it was a giant termite, terrorizing both the books and the librarian. Somehow, she doubted it, and stifled a chuckle as Eri played a "monster", perching on top of the bookshelf. Both students pulled out their wands, and Ami patted her pockets for hers. Drat! She'd left it buried beneath a mountain of clothes (again), and now she was dead weight (again), should a fight arise. She examined her surroundings, looking for a suitable weapon. Finding nothing better, she picked up the giant volume titled the Oxford English Dictionary (Integrated w/ Magical Terms for the Magical Student's Convenience).

esse quam videri

As Eri faked being a monster, though Levi didn't know that, another growl was heard to the right of Eri. Levi turned to it, his face paling a bit.
"Is there two of them?" Levi asked cautiously, walking backwards slightly. The feet padded again, swiftly. A snarl was heard at the top of the bookcase to the right of Eri. Now Levi wasn't sure where to shoot.

"Where did the other person go?" Levi muttered. "Ah, to hell with it. What's the spell called again?" Levi mumbled.

"Ah, yes. Flipendo!" The spell fired upwards, towards the noises that wasn't Eri. The beast roared, and the Flipendo flew back to Levi. The thing toppled slightly and fell with a crash. Levi scrambled over to it, and started to examine it.  Levi's Lumos charm had died down unnoticed, so Levi muttered the charm. 

The actual beast itself was a... A what? Levi looked at it carefully, then it clicked in his brain. He'd read it in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

"It looks like a tiny Graphorn?" Levi was sort of confused. He wouldn't have though it would growl and snarl and pounce around on bookshelves. He did know they were aggressive, but would such a small one be able of such agility? 

- Left HiO -

Eri climbed until she was able to be seen on the bookshelf. She sat on the bookshelf watching Levi fire at the monster. She waved down at Levi and Ami. She was a tiny bit scared of heights but this didn't seem to phase her one bit. "Nice aim. Glad you didn't shoot me." She smiled and turned the way she came and started to climb down. The brunette slipped and fell down about five feet and landed on her feet. Smiling she picked up her book and her bag and walked over to the others.

The Ravenclaw put her wand back in her pocket. She wasn't going to need it right that second. Eri took one look at the monster and frowned. There was a monster in the library well it was more of a beast.

"Are we going to tell someone about this?" She pointed at the beast. Someone needed to know that this beast was in the library. It shouldn't have been there but here it is lying on the floor. It was crazy to think there was another one in there but it's growls could still be heard. As it prowled around the room. Eri looked around searching for the other one.

Ami yelled some particularly foul curse words as the creature came into view. Nevermind her pottymouth, what were they going to do with this thing crawling towards them? "What the forking hellballs is that?" she hissed, taking a few steps back in fear. "And hell yeah, we are going to tell someone about this. Hello? This... this is like, level ten terrifying." She eyed the rhino-like creature warily in disgust. It reminded her of the stray cats that roamed the alleyways- the mean ones, in particular; the ones that ate fish whole and hacked up hairballs the size of tennis balls.

Ami shivered, shying away as the graphorn came even closer to the motley group, and she gulped, scared. Was this how she was going to die? Attacked by a miniature rhino in a magical library? God, she hoped not. She prayed that Wolfgang really knew how to use that wand of his, because she had the uneasy feeling that they were going to need it. Did Eri have a wand, too? Ami frowned, uncomfortable with playing the role of the useless damsel, and hefted the huge dictionary in her arms, straining slightly under the weight (not being a very strong girl).

esse quam videri

Levi was near the already fallen Graphorn, assessing it. "Ouch,"  he muttered when he looked at its face. A deep cut was across its cheek, with blood dribbling down onto its eye. "I may have found the problem. Lumos," he muttered for the third time. Levi carefully kept out of the fallen Graphorn's range, and assessed the rest of it.

"It's very quite hurt," Levi announced. "Its face has been cut horribly, blinding it in one eye because of blood. There's a number of scratches on it, and- Oh god," he muttered, quickly inspecting one of its golden horns.

"A horn's cracked," Levi took another step away from the Graphorn. He moved himself so that the Graphorn could see him. "I'm not going to hurt you," Levi whispered to the damaged beast. "Look, I'm putting my wand down. Okay?" He glanced back. "Best to get Professor Lear, he's Care of Magical Creatures professor." 

Levi crouched, slowly making his way to the Graphorn, which roared when he got near. The first year took several steps backwards from the beast. "I won't hurt you," Levi promised. He was either being brave or stupid. Let's go with the last one, he decided. He inched slowly to the Graphorn, who didn't retaliate. He gently put his hand on its back. "Calm down," he whispered. "Calm down." 

- Left HiO -

Dorothy scuttled into the library, feeling a sleepy. The library always had that effect on her. She rubbed her eyes and headed for the dragon section. The thought of studying dragons intrigued her greatly, and actually woke her up a tiny bit. She broke into a skip and turned down an aisle of books. Nope, wrong sections. She kept going. Aah! There it was, a few shelves down. Dorothy walk/ran to the aisle and slid to a stop. What she saw next made her gasp.

"Oh. My. God!" she squeaked. Right in front of her, along with three kids, was a Graphorn! A very small one. "That's an actual Graphorn! How the hell did it get in here?!" she said, her voice rising in pitch with her excitement. She watched as the boy moved in, gently placing a hand on it's back. Her eyes flitted from it's powerful shoulders to its face. She began to mutter nerdy junk to herself as she looked at it. "Adolescent Graphorn. Severe lacerations on the face and body. Attacked by a larger, clawed creature, with a potentially powerful bite force. Somehow, in the library. In need of medical attention but stable, two to three week project."

She turned to the boy before softly speaking again. "We need to clean out the wounds so they can be treated. Don't want them infected. Graphorns have thick hides, so if any of you have a needle on hand I could probably stitch 'im up. But in this case I think it's best to get a teacher involved, like you said. I've never dealt with Graphorns before. " She bit her lip, hoping it would end the nerd tirade. It looked pretty sedated, so she kneeled down and reached out towards the Graphorn, allowing it to feel her hand with it's tentacled mouth. Dora studied the wounds. One was very deep and spread across it's cheek, while others were shallower. Her biggest concern was the deep cut, and the risk of infection. One horn was cracked, as the boy had said. She wasn't too worried about the horn. It was probably painful though. "You're alright big fella'." she murmured as it lowered its head. "He's lost a lot of blood." she said to the boy. "How did you find him?"

Stamina: 4 - Agility: 5 - Strength: 7 - Control: 3 - Arcane Power: 6 - Accuracy: 5

"That thing found us." Eri didn't know this new girl and there was still another one of those creatures they keep talking about. She doesn't really understand what they are talking about so she decides she might want to leave.

"If you need me I am going to up on top of that shelf." The brunette pointed towards a tall shelf next to everyone. Smiling she picks up her bag and shoulders then she starts climbing the shelf. Halfway up she looses her footing and is barely holding on. As she dangles in the air she moves her feet around for something to put them on. Finally she has her footing and begins to climb again. 

Eri reaches the top and sits down watching everyone. Having a great idea, she lies down on her back and holds onto the edge of the shelf and dangles her head over so she can look at everybody upside down. "Hi everyone." She pulls herself back onto the shelf and starts reading her new book. She is a bit hyper from all the excitement so she is acting all energetic. It probably wasn't very safe up on the top of a high shelf for the energetic eleven year old, but she was up there anyways.

Back