Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

A Good Old Book Barrier  Closed 

Dawn laughed and leaned back into the chair,"You seem to have many interesting stories. I might have had some good experiences but you seem to have them all! Back at home there was so many wonderful things to do." Dawn tucked her hair behind her ear and suddenly remembered something or someone."Since you seem to know so much, I'd like to ask for some advice." Dawn looked at Hunter, then focused past him, to the view outside, making everything else rather unclear. Her face held a thoughtful expression, with an obvious tug-of-war occurring, on whether to say or not. Deciding on the former, she began carefully,"You see back at home, I have a friend, who is a muggle and I miss a lot. But the thing is I..." she stopped hesitantly, flicking her eyes to Hunter, then back to the window. Changing her mind, she quickly finished saying," I really want to send a letter to my father to pass to him as I'm afraid of loosing contact with him but I don't know what to write? We made a pledge that no matter what we will stay friends. But here I am delaying a letter." She felt a bit guilty in twisting the truth a bit, but she kept her facade of interest of what ever he was going to say. She felt no changes, no weight lifted off her chest, as she knew she wouldn't get the answer without telling the truth. It was the closest, she has gotten so far to getting a friend, yet somehow, she felt as though she'd screwed up.

"Everyone is absolutely unique" -Dawn Flourish
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=1413

"Hm," Hunter hummed, tapping a finger to his chin for a moment. "Well, you could just leave out all the magical stuff. That way no one could be mad at you. There aren't any rules saying Wizards can't be friends with muggles, right? I mean, I'd be in trouble if there was. I'm going to see if I can get my dad to pass on some letters for me. Maybe get him to type them up so they look like an email so they don't get suspicious. Though, I mean, the ministry can't care too much if muggles find out about them. Like, my dad knows about magic. And a bunch of other half-blood wizard's parents must know about them too. I'm sure if you asked one of the professors someone could sort things out. " He knew what it was like to not want to lose friends. "You're a muggle-born, right? Or maybe a half-blood? Like, was one of your parents a Wizard? I haven't heard of many proper wizards having muggle friends from the outside world." He was starting to ramble again. "Now that I think about it the rules are kind of confusing...granting everything about this place is confusing."

Dawn was startled at the fact that wizards and witches who were pure-blood, rarely became friends with muggles. Leaning her elbows on the table, she cradled her head in her open palms and said,"I'm half-blood, my father is a wizard and my mother was a human. Wait, she is a human, sorry." She had gotten so used to saying was for everything when it came to her mother, but saying she was human just sounded out of place. She thought about her again, wondering what it was like to have a mother and deep inside she found sorrow. But being the independent person she is, she pushed it down as she remembered that she promised herself that she would not let grief get in the way of everyday things. Instead, she learnt to love the woman in the photo frame on her bedside table.

"I feel as though sometimes, there are too many unnecessary rules. Like what you said about the muggles finding out, what are they even going to do about it?" Dawn shrugged halfheartedly. "What are you? I mean what's you blood status? Are you half-blood, too?" asked Dawn assuming from when he mentioned something about half-blood previously. "How many is in your family? " added Dawn curiously since he seemed to have many family members.

Hunter drew in a deep breath. "Well, technically I'm a half-blood, but I'm pretty much a muggle-born cause my mum was something called a Squib. I think those are just wizards without the magic. And I'm pretty sure wizards count as being human, just like, a different race? Or Breed? I dunno. But it's just me and my dad now. He's pretty cool." His nails dug into his palm as he spoke about his father. "What about you? Do you have any brothers? Sisters? Cousins? You don't really seem like a half-blood--I mean I thought you were a pureblood cause they seem kind of posher usually? Granted I guess it's possible for purebloods to be poor. I mean. Some of them have to be otherwise there'll be no way of telling who's posh and who's not." He relaxed a little, his words coming out in a long fast stream of garbled words. Again he was shushed by someone in the shelves, but yet again he took absolutely no notice. Though it was perfectly possible for him to not be able to hear them over the sound of his own voice. It was a miracle that he hadn't been kicked out yet.

Dawn smiled thinking of her father. "Well...my father being a pure-blood, I guess I kind of seem like a pure-blood myself. But I don't really get how one can seem something or be labeled a name, like a clothing in the store." She shrugged. "Just like you, it's only me and my father, because my mother passed away when I was younger." She said quickly and as usual avoided the words, dead, dies and died. "I wish I had siblings or even a twin. I don't have any extended family that I know of from my fathers side and if my mother had any extended family, they'd probably be in France." Dawn tilted her head slightly."Do I really sound posh? I've never considered the thought, but my father did tell me I sounded rather polite and after all I do use words like father, instead of dad." She was now oblivious to her surroundings and had begun to get tugged into the conversation. The fact that it was a Library didn't help. But she kept talking for all she cared, toning it down a notch. "Dad and papa sound foreign to me, like another language. But it's probably because I grew up with the word father. If my mother were around, I wonder if I would have used the words papa and mama. It sounds casual to me yet respectful, you know?"

"You do," Hunter nodded, wincing a little at the mention of Dawn's dead mother. "And I know the feeling--about the family I mean. I don't have any cousins or anything either, just me and my dad." He did have cousins, supposedly, on his mother's side. He just didn't know them, or even his mother's maiden name now he thought about it. "They were thinking about having another kid but...stuff happened. You know?" He rubbed the back of his neck. He didn't usually like talking about his mum. Not, like, publically. His mum was special, she was his mum. Not a lie, not a story to be twisted. She was her own woman and she was kind and loving and the best mum a boy could ask for.

She just wasn't here.

He put on a smile, a little too wide. "What's your dad like? A right polite guy I bet cause you're all polite, granted he's french so who knows." His smile became a grin and he prodded her with his elbow. "I'm kidding, british humour, you know? The french are cowards, the english like to complain. It's a joke. Funny." He didn't really think it was, he hadn't met enough people to know if the joke was true or not.

Dawn looked horrified for a second, tensing and slowly easing at the mention that it was a joke. "Uh, Yh, my father really is polite, I completely respect him." said Dawn hesitantly, ignoring the snide comment. She honestly thought people shouldn't be classified because of others who are similar. "But he isn't French, he's English. He met my mother when he went to France, I've never really asked why he went there, though. I love him all the same" she shrugged and smiled sadly, as she missed him despite letters being exchanged between them. "He always says I look like my mother, but I don't see it at all, I don't have her wavy long hair and she had greyish-blue eyes. Even though I've never seen it in real life, I love her wavy hair." What was she doing? Saying all this to someone she just met. Just earlier she wanted to touch his hair as it resembled her mothers waves. She flicked her eyes towards the hair that hung over his eyes and forced them away a moment later. Oh well, honesty is always best...and he seems to understand the family feeling... "I hope I'm not being to forward and it's probably weird to ask, but can I feel your hair?" asked Dawn with a neutral facade that masked hope, giving in and forgetting the earlier comment.

Hunter leaned back on his heels. "Huh?" he cocked his head. "Yeah. That is weird. Very weird. Super weird! I mean, I like weird. But..." he rubbed a hand over his beanie, moving it to one side. "You do not want to see me with this hat off." He said. "My hair's, like, the worst. You don't want to touch it either. It's gross. And messy. And like. Weird. Not that weird is a bad thing!" He was starting to ramble again. He was out of his depth. Way out of his depth. People never asked to touch him. People didn't usually want to touch him.

"I mean. I get it. Like. You want closure, right? Cause your mum had hair like mine? But, I bet her's was wayyy longer. And cleaner. And, like, better. I mean, I don't even comb it most days. That's why I wear the hat, cause it's a mess. Did I mention that? Sorry. I must be sounding crazy." He leaned back further, looking like he was going to fall back onto his arse at any moment. He looked a little mad. But that wasn't exactly unusal for him. He always looked mad. Maybe he was?

Dawn flushed and panicked as she pulled her hand away from mid air, "Oh, uh, sorry, I didn't think-" With wide eyes she moved back along with the chair making a scrapping noise against the wooden panels. "I didn't mean-" She had completely lost her words and probably the ability to speak. She was just wondering what her mother's hair would feel like and she hadn't meant for that to sound creepy, but the more she thought about it, the more it did. She probably wasn't used to asking such a thing? Idiot! How could you? Scaring off people with your nonsense she scolded herself inside.

Dawn couldn't bring herself to look at anyone or anything, nor could she bring herself to move away. Tears collected at the bottom of her eyelids, but not enough to fall onto her red cheeks. She wasn't one to cry with embarrassment or in front of someone, but this was different, she was already emotional with the topic of her mother. Quickly grabbing her novel from the table, she covered her face and after a few breaths she collected her words," I'm sorry, I just thought I'd know what my mothers' hair feels like if I touch your hair... it just looks so much like my mothers' except shorter, if you know what I mean? And I love her hair, all I have is this hair curled a bit at the bottom. " She fingered the ends of her own hair and the tears disappeared almost as quickly as they had appeared the more she talked, coaxing herself back to her usual neutral facade.

Back