Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

A Good Old Book Barrier  Closed 

Hunter headed to the library as soon as he had the chance. He carried almost every book he'd bought in his arms, resting his chin on top of the pile to keep them from tumbling out of his hands. He looked around the room, searching for a free space for a good few moments before finally settling at a free desk in the corner.
He quickly got to work, propping up his copies of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Magical Drafts and Potions, and The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection up in front of him, creating a barrier that separated him from the other students.
He'd often done this whenever his past teachers had held a spelling or multiplication quiz to hide his answers. Well, he said he used them to hide his answers, in reality, it tended to attract people to his presence, plus it made his classmates laugh, which was always a good thing.
He opened his copy of A History of Magic and lay it out in front of him.
He tempted to take notes, but didn't dare go anywhere near his inkwell and quills just yet. Being left handed meant writing with a regular pen was hard enough, God knew what writing with actual ink would do. He'd probably end up with a Jackson Pollock painting of smudged ink.
So, he read, head bent down and propped up in his hands, waiting for someone to notice him.
Last edited by Serena Towers on 14th April 2018, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nose stuck in her muggle book, Dawn strolled the Library, seeking a quiet place to read. She quickly moved her hand away from the heavy wooden doors, before they captured it, closing loudly to announce her presence. Not that many looked up anyway, since the door had been opened and closed numerous times before. Swiftly looking up, she observed the Library from the door, scanning for a seat at the front. But for some reason the Library seemed full, causing Dawn to move in the direction of the nearest windowsill. Being impatient to continue reading, Dawn walked while she read, slowly drifting into the fantasy world. She managed to avoid the tables, dodging them like a pro as she approached the window sill.

Hanging by one hand off the cliff, West managed to say one word,"Run", as he let go disappearing into the depths of the dark ocean. Dawn's eyes widened as she read this sentence in the book, throwing all her attention into the novel, rather than where she was headed. Her eyes searched for a sign that West was still alive, when her hip hit the last table to the windowsill. The clatter of books, hauled Dawn out of her fantasy bubble and her eyes widened as she saw what she had done. "Oh my god! I'm so terribly sorry!" Dawn said,voice filled with horror, to the boy sitting at the table. She dropped down bellow the table and picked up the few scattered books.

While emerging from underneath the table, she embarrassed herself further by banging her head on the bottom of the table . "Ouch!" she exclaimed wishing this was all over. With flushed cheeks, she looked at the unfamiliar boy with brown hair and passed the few books over, unknowingly also giving away her own novel. "Once, again, I am so sorry!" she said, attracting attention from nearby tables, with her loud voice.

"Everyone is absolutely unique" -Dawn Flourish
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=1413

Dawn Flourish wrote:
14<sup>th</sup> April 2018, 1:20 pm
Nose stuck in her muggle book, Dawn strolled the Library, seeking a quiet place to read. She quickly moved her hand away from the heavy wooden doors, before they captured it, closing loudly to announce her presence. Not that many looked up anyway, since the door had been opened and closed numerous times before. Swiftly looking up, she observed the Library from the door, scanning for a seat at the front. But for some reason the Library seemed full, causing Dawn to move in the direction of the nearest windowsill. Being impatient to continue reading, Dawn walked while she read, slowly drifting into the fantasy world. She managed to avoid the tables, dodging them like a pro as she approached the window sill.

Hanging by one hand off the cliff, West managed to say one word,"Run", as he let go disappearing into the depths of the dark ocean. Dawn's eyes widened as she read this sentence in the book, throwing all her attention into the novel, rather than where she was headed. Her eyes searched for a sign that West was still alive, when her hip hit the last table to the windowsill. The clatter of books, hauled Dawn out of her fantasy bubble and her eyes widened as she saw what she had done. "Oh my god! I'm so terribly sorry!" Dawn said,voice filled with horror, to the boy sitting at the table. She dropped down bellow the table and picked up the few scattered books.

While emerging from underneath the table, she embarrassed herself further by banging her head on the bottom of the table . "Ouch!" she exclaimed wishing this was all over. With flushed cheeks, she looked at the unfamiliar boy with brown hair and passed the few books over, unknowingly also giving away her own novel. "Once, again, I am so sorry!" she said, attracting attention from nearby tables, with her loud voice.
Hunter quickly made a dive for his books. They bounced around in his hands for a moment but he managed to grab one of them before it hit the ground and swiping up the other two shortly thereafter. He kneeled next to the table, peering at the girl with curious eyes, his head cocked slightly to one side, his wavy hair falling limply in his face. "You should really look where you're going," he said bluntly, offering her his hand. "It's dangerous to walk and read--once I walked right into the road reading and almost got hit by a car. Missed me by this much!" he abandoned the idea of helping her up to measure an inch's distance between his thumb and forefinger. "Uh," he sat up straight again for a brief moment to put his books in a neat pile on his desk before diving back under the table and holding out both his hands. "Are you okay? You hit your head real hard." He spoke quick, like a kid who'd been stuffed full of far too many sweets, jacked up on sugar. "Are you dizzy or anything? Do you have a concussion? Do you have to go to the nurse? Uh. They do have a nurse here, right?" They probably had a nurse, schools always had a nurse.

Dawn had tears rimmed at the bottom of her eyelids, from the hard hit, but that didn't stop her from repeating sorry over and over again. The boy seemed surprised but not frustrated as he offered his hand. People are nice, yet here you are causing trouble for others... she thought, scolding herself silently. Dawn watched as the boy began talking extremely fast, making it hard for Dawn to keep up. By the time Dawn processed the words, there was short silence before she said taking his hands as a means to get off the floor,"No, no, no, no I'm alright really---!"

"Shhhhh!" hushed a loud voice, causing Dawn to shut her trap as she realized she was being loud in a Library.She was never one to attract attention, but that is because she was always in her own world. After a moment, she looked back at the boy and whispered,"I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. Were you in the middle of homework?"

[
Reducio
quote="Dawn Flourish" post_id=25491 time=1523710632 user_id=2472]
Dawn had tears rimmed at the bottom of her eyelids, from the hard hit, but that didn't stop her from repeating sorry over and over again. The boy seemed surprised but not frustrated as he offered his hand. People are nice, yet here you are causing trouble for others... she thought, scolding herself silently. Dawn watched as the boy began talking extremely fast, making it hard for Dawn to keep up. By the time Dawn processed the words, there was short silence before she said taking his hands as a means to get off the floor,"No, no, no, no I'm alright really---!"

"Shhhhh!" hushed a loud voice, causing Dawn to shut her trap as she realized she was being loud in a Library.She was never one to attract attention, but that is because she was always in her own world. After a moment, she looked back at the boy and whispered,"I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. Were you in the middle of homework?"
[/quote]

"Huh? Oh! Nah." He shook his head from side to side. "I was just doing some reading, I'm kind of new to all this, you know? I thought I was a muggle, for, well, for forever but turns out I'm not. Actually, I didn't know what muggles where so I guess I didn't think I was a muggle? I thought I was normal--Well, not 'normal' normal but, like, human normal--not that wizards aren't human!" He'd started rambling again, his voice naturally loud. Someone shushed him, but if he heard them over the sound of his own voice, he completely ignored them, chatting away at full volume. He definitely wasn't suited to a library environment. "I mean, I wasn't doing homework. I was just reading for pleasure, God, that sounds weird. Reading for pleasure, sounds dirty, right? But, like, the world is interesting now, ya' know? I want to learn more. I don't usually read school books but I'm really liking this one, I think I like it cause it's still kind of like fantasy, but not, cause it's real."
He opened and closed his outstretched hands again. "Want some help?" he asked again. "Or...um." He shuffled back to give her a little extra room to get out from under the table. "Can you stand up?"
Last edited by Hunter Keith on 14th April 2018, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The boy went off with some kind complicated explanation about muggles, wizards and humans that caused Dawn to grin. The more the boy talked the less embarrassed Dawn felt, which was rare is many cases. As he talked Dawn noticed his hair was wavy, similar to her moth---. The way words are sometimes cut off, Dawn's thoughts were cut off as she remembered the picture sitting on her bedside table, to remind her of her mother. She always pondered what her long wavy hair would feel like, but she was unable, since her mother's hair was safe from Dawn's hands in a photo frame. And only a photo frame.

The distant voice of the boy talking jerked Dawn out of the disturbing memories and she found that her hand had found it's way half way to the boy's hair, as if to touch it. Eyes wide with embarrassment Dawn moved her hands away as they found it's way to the floor. She pushed her self off of the ground and glanced up at the boy's hair. "Thank you for the offer. I actually understand the urge to read." she said smiling finding something to say.

Dawn Flourish wrote:
14<sup>th</sup> April 2018, 2:51 pm
The boy went off with some kind complicated explanation about muggles, wizards and humans that caused Dawn to grin. The more the boy talked the less embarrassed Dawn felt, which was rare is many cases. As he talked Dawn noticed his hair was wavy, similar to her moth---. The way words are sometimes cut off, Dawn's thoughts were cut off as she remembered the picture sitting on her bedside table, to remind her of her mother. She always pondered what her long wavy hair would feel like, but she was unable, since her mother's hair was safe from Dawn's hands in a photo frame. And only a photo frame.

The distant voice of the boy talking jerked Dawn out of the disturbing memories and she found that her hand had found it's way half way to the boy's hair, as if to touch it. Eyes wide with embarrassment Dawn moved her hands away as they found it's way to the floor. She pushed her self off of the ground and glanced up at the boy's hair. "Thank you for the offer. I actually understand the urge to read." she said smiling finding something to say.
Hunter peeked up at her again before hopping up. He literally jumped to his feet, his shoes making a sharp tap against the wooden library floors. "You talk funny," he said. "Like, fancy. All posh and stuff. Are you posh? I bet a lot of people here are posh, or maybe not, cause everyone goes here, right? So unless all Wizards are posh...." He ran his fingers through his fringe, moving it away from his face. "Seems like the kind of place, you know? Big castle. Big haunted castle. How cool is that?" He grinned, hiding the fact that he was a little peeved that she hadn't accepted his help. He stuck his hands into the pockets of his robes, turning his remembrall around and around between his fingertips. "Ghosts are cool--I mean, they're terrifying, but in a cool way. You know? Like, hey, here's ghosts, they exist now and they're dead." He was barely giving her time to respond. "I'm Hunter, by the way, I don't think I said. Hunter Keith, no I'm not American. Everyone always asks if I'm American 'cause my name's Hunter. Makes me sound like a redneck, right?" That was a big fat lie, no one had ever asked him that in his life.

The boy, hopped up from the floor, standing slightly taller than Dawn. The brightness from the large window, made it hard for Dawn to see the boy as he began to talk once again, "You talk funny, like, fancy. All posh and stuff. Are you posh? I bet a lot of people here are posh, or maybe not, cause everyone goes here, right? So unless all Wizards are posh...."Dawn squinted her eyes against the sunlight and said with a shrug,"Oh no, I'm not posh. That is just the way I talk. I've always talked like that for as long as I remember and I guess that is just me being polite." The boy moved his fringe away from his face and Dawn ignored wanting to touch the waves.

"Seems like the kind of place, you know? Big castle. Big haunted castle. How cool is that?" he continued. "Yh, it's cool I guess, great place to explore and get lost." Dawn answered frowning at the memory of getting lost. He went off talking about the ghost and Dawn moved her position so that she was standing with her right side towards the sunlight, that was starting to get on her nerves. She listened to the boy talk and she wondered if everyone at Hogwarts was bubbly, as just the other day, she had met a girl who was just as energetic.

"I'm Hunter, by the way, I don't think I said. Hunter Keith, no I'm not American. Everyone always asks if I'm American 'cause my name's Hunter. Makes me sound like a redneck, right?" he continued introducing his self. "I guess," said Dawn not sure what to say and wondered how one could make an introduction so long. "Well, I'm Dawn Flourish, by the way and I'm half French. I probably don't look it much, but that's what it is. Nice to meet you, Hunter. What house are you in?" she piped up with a smile.

"Flourish?" He echoed. "That sounds about right. You talk with one, a flourish." He waved his hands, mimicking the motion before reaching out and grabbing her hand, shaking it firmly. "It's nice to meet you. I'm in Gryffindor, I haven't seen you around so I'm guessing you're not? I mean, I haven't met everyone yet, but still. Houses are weird huh? My old school didn't have houses or any of that. But it's cool, it's like a little family. Though I get the feeling I annoy most people--well, my old teachers used to say I annoyed people but I might have just annoyed them. Adults don't like me much. Called me a motormouth. One of em' said he'd tape it shut." Another lie. "What house are you? Let me guess, Hufflepuff?" He kept shaking her hand as he spoke, holding tightly onto it. "You seem kinda quiet, Hufflepuffs are quiet, right? I thought I was going to be in Hufflepuff but clearly, that didn't happen. Everyone says you're put in your house for a reason so, I guess I belong in Gryffindor. I'm glad I'm not in Ravenclaw. I'm not too smart or anything, I heard they have to answer a riddle to get in their dorms? I couldn't do that."

Dawn shook Hunter's hand, a little lighter than he did, with a warm smile. Laughing at the homograph, she found out that Hunter was a Griffindor. "That just about suits your personality. As you seem somewhat daring and as if you don't care much of what others think. Which is great really. I kinda thought you might be Hufflepuff. Houses might be strange but they are useful in some ways. " Hunter tried guessing Dawn's house and ended up with Hufflepuff. Dawn grinned and slowly said,"Sure, I might be quiet, but that's probably because I don't have anyone to socialize with." She shrugged. "I might be a bit daring and I will take necessary risks, sometimes unnecessary too. And I believe I am hard working, when I put my mind to something, I guess I have a tiny bit of ambition, I can fit into there...." She stopped, thinking for a moment."But overall I am Ravenclaw." Dawn smiled proudly and continued."I'm sure it's because creativity is my strongest suit. I don't believe I am smart, just that I find ways to make things work. I probably picked that trait from my father..." She squinted her eyes in concentration then said to herself,"Or maybe Kyle?" She shrugged once more."Oh well, not that it matters. I might also be in Ravenclaw, because I love reading. " Dawn looked down at her hand expecting to see her book, but instead noticed that Hunter was still holding tightly to her hand. She pulled her hand away lightly, in an effort to let go, while asking Hunter,"Do you know where my book went?" Dawn frowned as she refereed to the book as if it had legs.

"Your book?" he asked, cocking his head to the side. "Oh! I'm sure it's around here somewhere?" he knelt back down next to the desk peering underneath it. "Do you know what it looked like? What book was it? I might have picked it up by accident." He instantly started searching through the pile of books on his desk. He didn't bother to stand up straight, instead, he just knelt up with his chin resting on the side of the table, peering through the stacks of books. "And I think Ravenclaw suites you, you sound like a bit of a bookworm. So you're really smart though, right? I mean, you have to be to answer riddles and stuff. I can barely remember the passwords for my dorm. I bet I'm gonna get stuck outside soon. I heard that happens from time to time. That some students just sleep in the hall 'cause they get stuck outside." He kept looking as his spoke, going back to look under the desk, then under his chair. He looked like some kind of whack-a-mole, popping up and down again and again. "Dunno what I'd do then, I'm kind of used to the comfy beds now. But I did used to sleep at the park every now and then so it shouldn't be too bad."

While Hunter bent down looking for her missing book, Dawn was surprised at how she'd even lost it. The only times Dawn had left her book alone, was when she was occupied or had found something more interesting to do. Frowning a bit, she bent down next to Hunter and began searching for her book as well. "For some reason, I have a habit of loosing things, but never my novel's, which is rather strange if you ask me." Dawn said to Hunter as she looked around. "And you know what else? The thing that is lost always ends up being in a place, I've search a million times!" she exclaimed. "The novel is called,'West Carter: The Werewolf Realm'. And thank you for helping me search." She stopped to give Hunter a grateful smile. She looked around the same place around three times, while listening to Hunter talk about entering the Ravenclaw room. "Well, riddles just happen to be my thing,I guess. Sure I have answered a riddle wrong before. But it was the middle of the day and I wasn't in a rush to get in anyway. I get nervous when I have to enter the room at night, just in case I get stuck outside, but I manage to trust in my knowledge." Dawn went through the pile one more time and realized that the front cover of her novel was tucked in between one of Hunter's books. "Awww...no. I did not just go through this, like four times and just find it now. Maybe I'm sick? There must be something wrong with me, right?" she said with a dreadful expression, to Hunter.

"That happens sometimes," Hunter said, jumping back to his feet. He stood up straight, pulling his hair back out of his eyes. "Human brains are stupid, like my mum used to walk around for hours looking for her glasses and they'd be on her head."
His chipper demeanour seemed to falter for a slip second, but in the blink of an eye, he was back to grinning like an idiot. He picked up her book and held it out to her, his cheeks a little pink from all the moving he'd been doing. "Maybe it was magic? Like the books are all enchanted so they automatically go back on the desks after you drop them. That would be cool. Apparently, there's a spell you can use to make things come to you but I don't know it yet. I'm not too good at magic. Like, I get it in theory but I'm not too good at the wand movements, you know? But I didn't grow up around magic so I guess that's not too unexpected." He tapped his chin with his finger, humming slightly.
Somewhere off in the bookshelves someone shushed him again.
"Sorry!" he called back in a muted yell, his voice hushed.

Dawn reduced her voice as she explained in a hushed tone,"I know it happens a lot, misplacing things, I mean, but for it to happen to my book. It..it's just weird. Oh well, not that it matters that much." Dawn smiled and felt her legs starting to ache from standing too long. Pulling out a chair, she sat down and felt relief settle down her spine. Dawn was passed her book and she gratefully took it."I doubt that the book has magic cast on it, because for one, it is a muggle book and two, I don't think anyone would bother doing that to my book and I can't have possibly done that by accident. But now that you mention it, your right, it would be cool to have a book to appear on the desk, once you've dropped it." She looked out of the window from her seat and spied the view that she continuously thought was beautiful. The Grounds was covered by such a pleasant green and the Great Lake had lapping water that sparkled in the sun light. Turning back to the Gryffindor, she asked,"Have you been exploring? Like there is much to do here, but you have to explore at least once. I went exploring one time, to get an idea of the castle and ended up getting lost! But the thing is, exploring is always better with a friend." Dawn enjoyed discovering new things and recalled the exploring she performed back at home.

Hunter hadn’t, but that wasn’t going to stop him from pretending he had. “Yeah, I’ve looked around a little,”he said, settling down back into his chair. “I got lost as well, ended up wandering around the forest for ages and ages. I didn’t think I’d find my way back to be honest. Kieths don’t have the best sense of direction.” He took down what remained of the book barrier, stacking them up one by one in a neat pile. “My grandad, right, used to get lost all the time ‘cause he’d sleepwalk. Once he actually got on his motorbike and dove halfway across town! Woke up in a paddock with a sheep eating his PJs.”
This story wasn’t actually a complete lie. While his grandfather was a sleepwalker, he’d been woken up by the sound of his bike revving before any real harm could be done.
“I get the feeling it would be easy to get lost here,” he continued, “What with the moving staircase. Whose idea was that anyway? It’s just going to make getting to class so much harder.” He started to bounce his knee under the table as he spoke and he winced. It was a bad habit. It annoyed people.
  Back