Library

Register
Sign in

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

Mia walked into the shelves, wand in hand, trying to find the thin silver book that her friend had recommended. She paced, looking up high at the shelves. The library was relatively silent, holding only a few kids, and most of them were towards the front, reading, or studying together. She sighed. She started climbing the stairs to the top row, still looking for the one book that she needed. Why was this so hard?she thought, usually I can find books relatively easily. She scaled the steps, hiking up her long robe that was just an inch too long, and tripped her when she was doing physical exersise. It made it hard for her to run to class too. Luckily she was not a late person. She kept climbing up the steps, and soon got to the top. She dropped her skirts, and started out on row one, looking up to try to find the thin silver book. She found it, finally, a minute later, and plopped down in the row. She started reading it, relieved. A few minutes later she stood up, uncomfortable, and grabbed the book in her hand. She headed downstairs, where she could check the book out. But as soon and she neared the front she noticed someone she had not seen in a long time. Too long. Scott Alexander.
Last edited by Reid Kovacs on 11th April 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Chocolate omnia constituit"
//Co-Founder of Gobstones Club//Writer//

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

What he was doing in the library, at all, he would not be able to tell you.

With his eyes flying across the back of books faster than he'd ever been able to read, Scott was looking at book title after book title, some of them written in the kind of cursive he couldn't even make out if he tried. Once or twice he attempted the summaries, as well, and gave them a shot (most often the ones with the most colour on the cover). From this, his general conclusion was always that it had been as pointless and boring as he had expected. And although that was always what he expected, he couldn't help but to feel a little bummed out whenever it turned out to be, in his opinion, true. He had seen so many people come and go through the library, eagerly looking for a particular book, or sitting in the common rooms laughing to themselves whilst reading one.
It was something he'd always somewhat wished to understand.

Though then, a glimpse of long, brown hair to his right made him forget all about this.

He turned to properly face her, and memories came flooding back to him, from years ago, when she cautiously looked back at him. He felt his mouth widen, and his gums peeked out as he grinned as large as he could, the way you did around family.

The biggest thing you can say is 'elephant'
Stamina: 9 | Evasion: 5 | Strength: 11 | Wisdom: 6 | Arcane Power: 6 | Accuracy: 8

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"Scott?"

A boy her age of medium height grinned at her, with a smile that showed off his gums in a boyish way. His yellow-green eyes peirced her under his dark, medium thin eyebrows that she used to make fun of, summers ago, under the stars in their grandmothers garden in Kensington.

"Is that really you?"

She ran up to him and embraced him, tugging him close. She backed off after a few seconds, uncertain because of the emotion she had showed. She brushed her hair out of her face and stared up at Scott. Even though she was older (albeit by a few months), he had always towered over her. He wasn't even that tall or big, but his smile combined with her petite frame made him seem huge. She scanned him with new eyes, and finally landed on his robes. She made a face.

"Gryffindor, really? After all of the Slytherins and Ravenclaws you had to break the streak?"

She said teasingly, rolling her eyes and smiling up at him.

"You've always been different but this? Merlin Scott!"

She laughed again and looked at him, her eyes sparkling.

"So, how have you been? Your father treating you right? How's the Quidditch brother?"

She gestured at him to sit down at a table nearby, and she started heading there, book in hand, looking back at him.

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

He was cheering on the inside, which is a delightful feeling that comes easier wen you let it.
She was leading him towards this larger, oaken table where he, without hesitation, sat down semi-next to her around the edge of it. She was at least a foot taller than when she last saw her, but still had that mousy feeling about her which made you think of her as smaller than she really was.
He tugged on the emblem on his robes, because she'd asked about it.

"Oh yeah. I like it. And we had to break this Ravenclaw-bubble sometime. I'm not like that, you know? And as for dad, he's ecstatic. You know he was in Gryffindor too? And now he's five galleons richer, because he and mum had a bet about it, apparently."

He took a look at her robes, in turn. She had a whiff of hair covering the emblem, but her tie was green, green, green. He remembered her wearing his tie at a more formal gathering once, many years ago. That one had also been green, and he'd been complaining about how tight it was all day- until she finally had enough and put it on herself.

"But you're a real Slytherin now, did grandmother send you a letter of congratulations?" He sneered and made an embarrassing half-laugh through his nose. "I'm joking, of course. Good for you. Are the dungeons all like in the stories, dark and frightening?"

Stamina: 9 | Evasion: 5 | Strength: 11 | Wisdom: 6 | Arcane Power: 6 | Accuracy: 8

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"Oh yeah. I like it. And we had to break this Ravenclaw-bubble sometime. I'm not like that, you know? And as for dad, he's ecstatic. You know he was in Gryffindor too? And now he's five galleons richer, because he and mum had a bet about it, apparently."

Mia laughed wryly. Any mention of his father made her back away. Thank her grandmother for that. She was more accepting now though.

"But you're a real Slytherin now, did grandmother send you a letter of congratulations?"

He sneered and made and weird half-laugh through his nose.

"I'm joking, of course. Good for you. Are the dungeons all like in the stories, dark and frightening?"

She brushed her hair back again and looked back at him.

"She did actually."-she smiled-"Grandmother was happy, as expected. So was mother, or Aunt Marissa, for you. Even though she's a Ravenclaw."

Mia laughed to herself. Her mom was estatic. Even happier than her dad, which was surprising. Even though he was an Alexander. Grandmother actually sent her an owl, and congratulated her, which was rare. She never expressed emotion, or rarely. She felt pity for her cousin. Grandmother had always been nicer to her family, and not his. Mostly because of his muggle father. She snapped back into attention.

"No. It's actually quite nice. I have my own corner of my dorm. You know the Silvers and the Rosiers? The kids are my roommates. Same with the Winters...oh. We have two half-bloods and a muggle-born. Rosier's giving her hell. What about you? Made any friends?"

She looked up at him teasingly. He had always been the nice one. While she had one close friend, Rachel, he had what seemed to her multitudes.

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"She did actually."

Had Scott been more observant, he'd have sensed a sort of caution in Mia's voice.
This was without a doubt because of what their family was telling her, and had Scott once again been more observant he would also have picked up on his mother sometimes being referred to as "the one who married the muggle" when she wasn't around. This wasn't true. His father was a half-blood, went to Hogwarts and everything. But it was all to the same to them, one could suppose.

And what did it matter? It didn't. Not to him, and certainly not now because now he was too contented to think about any of this.

"Grandmother was happy, as expected. So was mother, or Aunt Marissa, for you. Even though she's a Ravenclaw."

Scott grew a little hippier by every name she mentioned, mostly because he only seemed to be recalling good things she thinking about them. Then she went on to answer his question about the dungeons.

"No. It's actually quite nice. I have my own corner of my dorm. You know the Silvers and the Rosiers?"

He didn't know the Silvers and the Rosiers. Heard their names, sure, but he always got those confused.

"The kids are my roommates. Same with the Winters...oh. We have two half-bloods and a muggle-born. Rosier's giving her hell. What about you? Made any friends?"

She was sneering. When she did it, all that showed was a white line of very typical Alexander teeth. This made her look meaner than him, when he grinned his boyish beam. It delighted him to see it.
It was the exact same malicious smirk that she had showed about four years earlier when he slowly realized his pile of Christmas sweets were missing. And it made him laugh out of his nose again, remembering how she threw the last one in her mouth without realizing it was cherry liqueur, and then spat it out on her tiny shoes.

"I have, thank you very much. Though if you'd ask me to list them I wouldn't be able to. I can't remember their names. There's the one with the thick book he can barely carry around, and the one with dark hair and sweaty face. There's one I've met only during breakfast, who never eat the crusts of his bread. Oh but then there's Mardella! I remember her name. We met in the library."

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"I have, thank you very much. Though if you'd ask me to list them I wouldn't be able to. I can't remember their names. There's the one with the thick book he can barely carry around, and the one with dark hair and sweaty face. There's one I've met only during breakfast, who never eat the crusts of his bread. Oh but then there's Mardella! I remember her name. We met in the library."

Mia looked fake surprised.

"Wow! Merlin Scott! Peculiar much?"

She laughed. She remembered how peculiar Scott could be, noticing things that only some people noticed. She wondered what he noticed about her. Maybe it was the way she tied her shoes, left hand behind her back, or the way she constantly touched her hair. With that thought, she placed a strand of her auburn hair behind her ear.

"Mardella, is she a Gryffindor too? Or maybe a Slytherin like me? I'd love to meet her if you count her as a friend."

She thought about his odd answer.

"Do you know any of their names? Or do you purely classify people on what they do."

Had they told him their names? she realized too late.

"That's of no importance. How are you finding life here?"

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"Wow! Merlin Scott! Peculiar much?"

He pretended to know what she was talking about and laughed with her. She was fumbling with her, the way she always did, and put it behind her ear.

"Mardella, is she a Gryffindor too? Or maybe a Slytherin like me? I'd love to meet her if you count her as a friend. Do you know any of their names? Or do you purely classify people on what they do."

This he did understand, and laughed more sincerely as he realized it was true. It was the easiest way.
It never really occurred to him that the boy with the book would rather be called Anatole, or that the boy who didn't eat his crusts would rather he called him Darius.
Though he was getting better. Mardella, being a fine example. Not an easy name either. Though she was "Tall with freckles" for a little while. He didn't actually know much about her, basically just mentioned her to show he could remember names. Because to Scott's standards, remembering a name was an academic breakthrough.

"That's of no importance. How are you finding life here?"

"Oh it's great! Don't you think? Although I don't prefer the food. The Big Feast was false advertising, in my opinion. But the beds are soft. Softer than at home, and there I had no roommates to talk to. I don't know if they think I talk too much. But they always reply so they'll have to blame themselves, I think. They can't help it. I ask such brilliant questions at 1 A.M.!"

He laughed, but surprising himself he stopped when he remembered her mentioning of the Rosiers. Usually this would have had no impact on him whatsoever, but joking about his new-made friends made him think of how hard it was to picture his cousin in a close relationship with anyone like that.
Not that he would have anything against it, it would defy his entire nature- but if she was lonely,
then it was in that moment the worst thing he could imagine.

"Your roommates, that you mentioned, are they talking at 1 A.M.?"

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"Your roommates, that you mentioned, are they talking at 1 A.M.?"

He smiled at her, continuing the conversation.

"Merlin Scott, do you know me at all? I'm in bed by 10 and up at 6. I wonder if they do talk late into the night..."

She paused a bit and then kept talking.

"But I guess Slytherins are different then Gryffindors. Plus, its awkward because of the muggle born. The half bloods-Izzy and Beth-are really protective of her, and she keeps announcing who she is, so thats no help either. Silver hates my guts, so she wouldn't talk to me and Rosier.."

She sighed.

"I don't know what's up with her. They're all splendid though, I guess. I've mostley been running into Ravenclaws. They are usually exellent conversation partners, and quite intelligent, though they can be quite shy at times. I've ran into Gryffindors too, and they are clueless, most of them anyway. One of them tried to sit at my table in the Great Hall! Hufflepuffs, thier too meek for my taste, though some are up to my standards..."

She paused a bit and remembered her encounters with everyone.

"Merlin Scott, I'm rambling. Please excuse me. But one more thing. Anatole, the guy you said was always reading, I've met him before. He seems like a good friend. I'm happy for you."

She sighed and looked at the ground.

"How are your classes Scott?"

She waited for his answer, smiling.

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"How are your classes Scott?"

He didn't answer right away, he was thinking about all she'd just said. Some things felt natural, and had him laughing recognizingly, like her going to bed at 10 and then not saying a word. Other things, incomprehensible: Silver hates my guts.
For a moment he searched her for something to hate. As if something would actually show on her, and as if he of all people would be able to find it. He gave up quickly, and instead exclaimed:

"Anatole! Oh that was his name. You know, you can't blame me for not remembering Anatole."

He laughed again, and thought about her question.

"Not sure. I think I like everything, but wether or not I'm good at any of it, I don't know. You?"

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"Anatole! Oh that was his name. You know, you can't blame me for not remembering Anatole."

He laughed and she laughed with him, the composition of her face changing instantly.

"Not sure. I think I like everything, but whether or not I'm good at any of it, I don't know. You?"

He said this looking at her, and she returned his look with a look of her own.

"I like Charms. I am the daughter of a Ravenclaw after all."-She laughed and pushed back her hair-"But Defense against the Dark arts is good too."

She paused and gestured towards the door.

"Do you want to go out to the rehearsal room? It's close, on this floor. I don't think that we can talk here for much longer. One of the elves will kick us out of here sooner or later if we keep talking like this."

She smiled at him and looked away, noticing a house elf looking their direction. She turned towards the shelf and spoke in hushed tones.

"I do not want to lose points for my house over something as stupid as this."

She stepped out of the shelves and motioned for him to follow her.

"C'mon. Are you going to follow me or what?"

Alexander?  PV   Closed 

"C'mon, are you going to follow me or what?"

He smiled and stood up. He hadn't been in the rehearsal room yet, and could actually feel the eyes narrowing around him as they kept on speaking.

"Probably a good idea. Are you taking that book with you?"

He went up to her and they walked out together.