Library

Register
Sign in

Family Histories  Closed 

Evianna started up the staircase to the fourth floor. Although she'd been at Hogwarts for over a week, establishing a rhythm of schoolwork, study, meals, and sleep had been difficult and she hadn't made time yet for her favorite activity of all: reading. Her father, of course, had told her all about the Hogwarts library, and she'd been eager to visit it.

Reaching the grand double doors, she shoved one open, then stood in the doorway, gaping. Rows and rows and rows of books stood in front of her, three stories of shelves of dusty books standing tall and proud in the mingled light of the sun and torches on the walls. Awestruck, she shut the door quietly behind her and wandered through some of the first few rows.

Although her father had told her about Wizarding history, Evianna thought she could learn more. She walked toward the history section and pulled a copy of Nature's Nobility and a book listing the names and stories of the most important wizards in history, then retreated to a table and took Hogwarts: A History and A History of Magic out of her messenger bag. Pulling out a quill and some parchment, she placed the end of her quill against her mouth and opened the pure-blood book and Hogwarts: A History. Evianna's father was a pureblood; she was curious about her ancestors and their accomplishments at the school.
Last edited by Evianna Wilson on 10th April 2018, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Family Histories  Closed 

Adam wouldn't normally prefer to be in the back of the library on a nice day, but unfortunately, he had slacked off on his research for History of Magic and now had to pay the price. He was looking for one book in particular. Squinting at the paper he held in his hands, he struggled to read his own hastily-scrawled writing and make out the title he needed. Nature's.......Nature's Nobility. That was it. It was supposed to be on bloodlines in the history of the school and the ministry. Adam didn't care much for blood status or purity, so he wasn't quite looking forward to reading it. He did need a good grade though, so he'd power through it.

When he reached the position that he knew the book should've been stored, Adam was dismayed to find an empty space. Sighing, he braced himself against the bookshelf and tried to calm himself down. He needed that book for this stupid report. Resolving to go back and ask if there were any other copies that he might borrow, Adam peered through a gap in the shelves and saw a girl alone at one of the tables, copying down some information from two heavy books. Maybe she could help him track down the text he needed. It couldn't hurt to ask.

Adam Harringtom
STA: 12 | EVA: 4 | STR: 6 | WIS: 6 | ARC: 9 | ACC: 8

Family Histories  Closed 

The entries in the book were rather dull, but Evianna made them as interesting as she could. Apparently, her relatives on her father's side were all pureblooded, but, as Wilson was a common Muggle surname, were not included among the Sacred Twenty-Eight.

Interesting. Her father had never said much about being a pureblood, likely because of the strong hatred that some of them fostered for Muggle-borns. He'd merely mentioned it in passing as part of a warning.

"I am a pureblood, Evianna. You know how I feel about people who can't do magic" he'd say, kissing Evianna's mother on the cheek before continuing. "But there are other purebloods who hate Muggles, or think that they should rule them. They might make fun of your mother, or say you're less because you have Muggle bloodlines. Prove them wrong."

Evianna smiled, caught up in memories of her parents and her home. Mum was one of the strongest people Evianna knew. She'd fight anyone who said Muggles or Muggle-borns were weak.

She wrote down a few more names, then glanced across the room. Between bookshelves, a tall blonde-haired boy looked at her. She stared for a few minutes, uncomfortable, before saying as loudly as she dared (this was the library, after all), "Are you looking for someone?"

Family Histories  Closed 

Reducio
Evianna, there's really no acceptable excuse for how late this reply is. I'd like to say I was busy, and for the most part I was, but that doesn't excuse my laziness :cry2: Hope I didn't cause you any trouble!

Adam blinked. He didn't think that the other girl had been able to see him through the bookshelves, but apparently he was wrong. Sliding out from his hiding place casually, trying not to seem too creepy, he walked over so he could apologize without raising his voice and disturbing the rest of the students in the library. "Sorry about that," he began, smiling at her in what was hopefully a friendly manner. "I was just thinking that you kind of looked like you'd been here before, and I was wondering if it would be easier to ask you about something or just find a librarian, and--" Whoa there, buddy. Don't overwhelm her. Blushing a little, Adam laughed and slowed himself down.

"Sorry. That's way more than you wanted to know. I was just looking for a book, and I thought maybe you might know where I could find it. It's called Nature's Nobility." He hoped the other girl would be able to help him. She was his last resort before actually finding a librarian to help him look. Adam didn't want to be in here longer than he had to. "Oh! I'm Adam, by the way."

Adam Harringtom

Family Histories  Closed 

Reducio
Don't worry about it!

The blonde boy slid out from between his bookshelves and approached Evianna's table.

"Sorry about that," he began, smiling at her in what was hopefully a friendly manner. "I was just thinking that you kind of looked like you'd been here before, and I was wondering if it would be easier to ask you about something or just find a librarian, and--"

Seeing Evianna's confused (and rather alarmed) expression, he stopped and apologized. I was just looking for a book, and I thought maybe you might know where I could find it. It's called Nature's Nobility. Oh! I'm Adam, by the way"

"Hi, Adam. I'm Evianna. It's nice to meet you, Evianna said. "I actually have the library's copy of Nature's Nobility right now, but if you need it for school or something, you can have it," she said, putting a bookmark on her page and tipping the spine toward him.

She pushed a chair out from under her table with her foot and closed the book, pushing it across the table toward Adam. "Is it for Professor Cazaraz's paper? The one on bloodlines in the Ministry?" she asked, tilting her head to the side. The ends of her curls just missed her open inkwell.

Family Histories  Closed 

Adam smiled. He'd found the book at last, and even better, it was in the possession of someone that was in the same class as him! "Yep, that's the one. If you were using that book, though, you should keep it. I wouldn't want to get in the way. I don't really care about the assignment anyway, right?" He laughed, glad to have someone to talk to. He would have to remember to keep his voice down, however. They were still in the library, and he didn't think that it would be very appreciated for him to start shouting ignorantly.

He couldn't help but look over at what she'd been working on, and when he did, he felt himself growing curious. It didn't look like Cazarez's paper. Maybe she was getting in some extra credit? He prayed that there wasn't an assignment that he'd forgotten about, but that was probably likely. "Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what's that you're working on? It's not for class, is it?" Adam had never been interested in bloodlines or status, but that didn't mean that everyone else wasn't. Maybe Evianna was trying to learn a bit about herself? It was a good idea, and one that hadn't ever occurred to Adam. She might be able to tell him about things much more interesting than boring old History of Magic.

Adam Harringtom