Library

Register
Sign in

A Book Worth Reading  Closed 

Zoe quietly strolled through the library, often looking at towering shelves. She finally saw what she came for. "A History of Magic!" While being shushed by the librarian, she shot her hand up to grab it. While she did own A History of Magic in her trunk, she discovered that she didn't like the smell of new books.

With her hand still in the air, she finally noticed that she was too short for the shelf History of Magic was , as she was 130cm tall. She grumbled and turned to walk away from the shelf. "Stupid shelves. Stupid height."

Zoe put a hand in her short brown hair and sighed. She turned away to leave but was stopped by something or someone.

The worst despair of all comes from having hope like that. Having such strong hope and just losing it in an instant...

Mardella wasn't really one for libraries to be honest. Or even books.

Originally, she'd been wandering the castle in search for something to do and, as she was wont to do, Hogwarts had turned her around again until she was facing the doors to the Library for the fifth time. She was sure she'd gone down at least five flights of stairs, and yet, somehow... Either her sense of direction was worse than ever, or Hogwarts was playing a prank!

Giving up avoidance as a lost cause, she pushed open the doors and entered. The place was silent and peaceful, a far cry to the way she had been charging down the corridors only a few moments prior. She'd never actually set foot inside the room itself before. Bookshelves towered above her from floor to ceiling as the occasional book floated from trolleys marked [RETURN] up through the air to empty slots on the shelf. She recognized a few faces as she walked explored a little, finding a few students here and there perusing the books or bent over parchment and scribbling furiously.

She was just about to turn, having crossed exploring the place off her list, when she heard a happy cheer from behind one of the bookshelves.
"A History of Magic!"
Peering round the corner, she watched as a short dark haired girl wearing a green tie stretched and streeettccched for a book, hand flailing uselessly against the shelf below. She stifled a giggle. Short people were so cute!
"Stupid shelves. Stupid height."
Mardella flushed, suddenly feeling a little bad for laughing. She'd really wanted that book, hadn't she?And Merlin knew how Mardella hated it when she got teased by the boys for being a beanpole, no matter how true it was. Hesitantly, the tall girl moved forwards and picked up the book the Slytherin girl seemed to be looking for.

She glanced at the title before holding it out. "Is it this one? A History of Magic?" The shelf was full of at least a dozen of the same books. "Umm...Third Edition?"

"Umm...Della's just fine though..." // STA: 7 // AGI: 7 // STR: 6 // CTL: 3 // ArcP: 2 // ACC: 5 // School Broom

Scott didn't even like books. Though clever, he thought they were boring and complicated. He simply dragged his hand over the dusty backs of them as he paced through the library, aisle by aisle, really just wanting to come across someone to talk to. He was slowly getting closer to two girls, who according to his investigation were the only other ones currently there. They were standing by the section, which he had labeled himself earlier, of "the most boring", and were dusting off something red with yellow pages. He didn't know either of them, though he could tell one of them was a Gryffindor, and he'd seen her in the common room. She was tall, taller than him, the other was shorter.

Trying to hear what they were saying before he got there, he got a splinter in his right thumb as he dragged his palm across a rougher piece of wood in the bookshelf. It stung, and he stopped in his tracks to try and pick it out and suck on his sore finger. Though this didn't stop him from, as he was now close enough, letting out an indistinct "Hello" with his thumb still in his mouth.

The biggest thing you can say is 'elephant'
Stamina: 9 | Evasion: 5 | Strength: 11 | Wisdom: 6 | Arcane Power: 6 | Accuracy: 8

A sound from behind her made Mardella spin around. There was a boy standing at the end of the row of bookcases, his thumb between his lips, watching them curiously. He wore a red tie, like her own, and but she couldn't remember having seen him in the Common Room before. There seemed to be loads of Gryffindor firsties and she was really not that great with names, as it turned out. Perhaps he'd been called before her in the Sorting? She'd been a little too keyed up to notice anything beyond her name being called at the time.

"Oh," She glanced back down to the book in her hands and then between the boy and girl before her, "Er...don't tell me you both want the same book?"

The shelf seemed to have a dozen Second Edition copies and lots of Sixth Edition, but it seemed the one in her hand was the only Third Edition copy of 'A History of Magic' the Library had.

"Umm...Della's just fine though..." // STA: 7 // AGI: 7 // STR: 6 // CTL: 3 // ArcP: 2 // ACC: 5 // School Broom

"What? Who? me?" With these words Scott removed his thumb from his mouth, and probably looked more shocked than he had intended to, to begin with. Though he was. The taller girl was aiming the book at him, and with a sincere face, as well. It looked so heavy at the end of her arm, and in the light from the tall windows he could see the dust leaving its surface and whirl up towards her nostrils every time she moved her fingers across it.

Who in the world would take their time to read that? Clearly nobody had for a while. Smart people.

Scott pushed the book back toward the girl's chest, not trying to make it seem too rude but not thinking much about it, either.

"No, not me. I've already got books, you know. Too many, in my opinion. Though not in my mother's. What is it, anyway? What are your names?"

He started sucking on his thumb again whilst waiting for the girls' replies, and the splinter started peeking through his skin and scraped against his gums. It was uncomfortable, and he probably made one of his faces. He was never quite sure what he was doing.
Last edited by Scott Alexander on 14th May 2018, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stamina: 9 | Evasion: 5 | Strength: 11 | Wisdom: 6 | Arcane Power: 6 | Accuracy: 8

"No, not me. I've already got books, you know. Too many, in my opinion. What is it, anyway? What are your names?"
The boy pushed the book back towards her, a wrinkle in his nose. "It's A History of Magic." She said, passing it to the Slytherin girl since the other boy clearly didn't want it. "I'm Mardella," She said, turning back to her fellow Gryffindor, "What's your name?"

He still had his thumb in his mouth, sucking on it with an odd facial expression - somewhere between trying really hard and what-am-I-doing. Mardella peered at him curiously, "Is...is your thumb okay?" Or maybe that was just a nervous habit, she glanced away wondering if she'd been too forward. "A cut? I suppose that's what Gryffs get for entering the Library!" She joked a bit awkwardly. What are you doing?!

"A cut? I suppose what Gryffs get for entering the library!"

He laughed without removing his finger at first, which made it sound very strange and muffled.

"Scott." He said. "And, yes, so it seems. It's dangerous place, this, must be. It's why it's so dark too, despite the windows. Adds to the risks."

He didn't hesitate to stretch his right hand forward to shake hers, not considering where he'd just had it. What was there really to care about? "Mardella." He said, in the polite way he'd heard adults do it before him. Except he tried to make it osund like he liked the name, which adults never seemed to manage. Always such sour an unpleasant voices. Scott didn't care for that.

He gestured towards her red and golden tie, tied around her neck twice as proper than his own- which he wasn't even sure if he was wearing.

"..Yet you're a Gryffindor, too, and don't seem to have gotten a scratch. What's the secret?"

He pretended to study her hands properly, and they were, in fact and of course, not scratched. Maybe a paper cut or two but to Scott those were nothing like his outrageous battle wound.
Last edited by Scott Alexander on 14th May 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

At the boy's laugh, Mardella felt her lips tilt upwards in an answering, if sheepish, grin. Ha, so there were people that laughed at her lame jokes - take that, Henry!
"Scott, and, yes, so it seems. It's dangerous place, this.""
She huffed out a chuckle in reply, "Nice to meet you, then - even if it's here." He sort of reminded her of her brother, if he had been a bit taller and less fair in colouring, but they seemed to have the same sort of humour. Tiordan wouldn't have been caught dead in a library either. A glance to the shorter Slytherin girl showed that she had her nose firmly in a book - not unlike someone else I know.

Mardella shook his offered hand. A firm grip, and smooth too - callous-free unlike her own, she registered briefly, before they let go. She wrinkled her nose a little as he said her name, wondering if he was going to comment on it's weirdness before he seemed to drop it and say instead:
"..Yet you're a Gryffindor, too, and don't seem to have gotten a scratch. What's the secret?"
She snorted, undaintily, "I think it's because I didn't come here willingly," and then shrugged her shoulders helplessly, although there was a bit of a joking tone to her voice. "I think Hogwarts has it out for me, I've been lost in the castle at least five times since we arrived." Per month, went unsaid.