Library

Register
Sign in

Breaking The Silence  PV Dorian Gray   Abandoned 

Ingrid rushed towards the library, being slightly out of breath as she had been running up and down in the moving grand staircase - she had not yet got all used to the multiple staircases and their knack of moving around, which is why she had spent an eternity trying to find her way to the fourth floor. On top of that, she was already running late from the History of Magic class! Ginger red hair was bouncing softly in the air in pace of her steps as Ingrid nearly ran through the double wooden doors to the Library. She looked around, seeing the Library being occupied by a couple of older students who had taken over the tables in the furthest corner, and the Head Librarian, whose silent look told the young witch to slow down as she was hurrying down a long corridor. A little reluctantly she slowed down her steps and looked up to hundreds of narrow rows and thousands of books on them, which made her groan quietly - how an  Earth she'd ever find the book she came here for!

After wandering endlessly and looking around for a good while, Ingrid dropped a heavy school bag from her shoulder, laid it on the floor and started to walk back and forth, running her fingers through her hair. She was getting annoyed - finding the book she needed began to seem like an impossible task. She sighed deeply and then tilting her head slightly, tried to read the names of the books as quickly as she could. She ran her fingers on the backs of the books, until she finally - after dozens of rows - found what she had been looking for. Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century. Not a book that she would voluntarily read on her spare time, but at least she was relieved to have found it - now she could finish her essay and hopefully get a decent grade. She rose on her toes and reached her hand up to the old book, unaware of someone else doing the same on the other side of the bookshelf.

"Hey, you - what do you think you're doing? This book is mine!"

Ingrid's whisper was quiet but fierce, and she did not have a slightest intention to let the book go from her hand. Whoever it was who tried to take the book from in front of her nose, would soon learn that Ingrid was not a girl who shared.
Last edited by Ingrid Winterwood on 9th April 2018, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INGRID WINTERWOOD | PREFECT | CHASER FOR THE SLYTHERIN QUIDDITCH TEAM

Dorian had come in a few minutes earlier, taking the proactive approach in preparing for his History of Magic classes. Some quiet time was at hand and these were the moments he used to get all his studying done away from noise and distractions. It also didn't hurt that there weren't many students present in the Library. The Head Librarian had seen him enter, and he had even gone as far as to wave to her, at which she smiled back, remembering him from his last few visits and how often he frequented the den of books. As far as she knew he was the quiet, studious type who didn't cause her any trouble and took to his work with a determined persistence.

He could be seen wearing a pair of expensive silver-rimmed reading glasses, not because he needed them to see but because he enjoyed the slight weight they provided while he focused. Not to mention they made him appear more thoughtful. Having been here on more than one occasion, he knew exactly where to find the History section and had wasted no time burying himself in that area, first reaching for Great Wizards of the Twentieth Century for some light reading. The moment he caught on a topic that raised more questions than it did answers, he lept up in search of another book, one that would offer some insight into what he just read. The book in question was none other than the Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century.

Quietly he scanned the neatly stacked shelves in search of the book, spotting it a short way up. He wasted no time reaching for the well-maintained text, taking hold and pulling only to find that he was met with resistance. He pulled again after which he noticed the girl on the other side of the shelf giving him a hard look. Her words weren't exactly friendly, and he couldn't help the glower that he was now giving her in return. "I don't happen to see your name on it. Maybe it's written somewhere in the pages? Let me have a look." His whisper-shout matched hers in volume, but where hers was vicious his was dripping with biting sarcasm. Dorian tugged again at the book, careful not to pull too hard for this copy of the book was worn from seeing much use and abuse. He would not be responsible for ripping the thing apart.

Noticing that neither of them showed the slightest intention of relinquishing the book to the other - because he certainly wasn't about to give her the time of day, he offered a compromise. "How about this. I'll read the bloody book first and personally hand it to you whenever I'm through with it. However long that takes." The final bit was said under his breath, enough for her to hear if she was closely paying attention to his words. The boy scrutinized the emblem on her robe and noted that she was of the House Slytherin, which stereotypically explained to him her attitude. Maybe she had seen his own Gryffindor emblem and thought that he would be an easy target. How wrong she was. And how he felt sorry for her that she had chanced upon him of all people. The girl would soon learn that one simply did not mess with Dorian Gray and live to tell the tale.

Improvidus, Apto quod Victum
Stam: 3, Agi: 3, Str: 4, Con: 7, Arc: 7, Acc: 6

Ingrid faced a pair of icy blue eyes as she pulled the book in her hand and noticed the boy on the other side of the shelf. A Gryffindor. How lovely. On any other moment Ingrid would've enjoyed having a small rival with this annoying cub, but not now, not today - if she didn't get to finish her homework, she could as well forget about the Quidditch this evening. She lowered her eyebrows and tightened her fingers around the thick yet old and fragile book as the boy clearly had no intention to let it go either.
"Ha-ha, I don't think so. Maybe it doesn't have my name on it, but I was here first," she retorted as quietly as she could and glanced over her shoulder to make sure that the Head Librarian, or those bloody house elves, were not anywhere near to hear their silent yet effective dispute. Then she turned her emerald green eyes back to the boy and gave him a fearless, warning look. Ingrid didn't know him - or maybe she had seen him a couple of times in the Great Hall or even in classes - but nevertheless he and his sarcastic tone made her extremely annoyed.

"Oh, you reading it first - you must be kidding me, I'd never get it back as it would take you another century to read it through," she hissed maliciously and tilted her head a little.
"So how about I will read it first and you, well, figure out something else?" Being honest, Ingrid couldn't care less what this boy needed the book for and if it indeed was as much of an emergency to him as it was to her. All she knew was that she needed it right here and right now, and she definitely wouldn't share a single page of it, least with this fool of a boy from Gryffindor.

One of the house elves passed them at the end of the corridor, giving them a bit suspicious look. Ingrid gave the elf as nice and calm smile as she could in the current situation, and as the elf then shrugged its shoulders and turned to walk away, a cold and angry look crossed her face again. She looked closely into the icy cold eyes, grinding her teeth impatiently. She had been standing on her toes, reaching for the book for quite awhile now, but she didn't have a slightest intention to give up.
"I do not have time to waste here with you, so give it over already." She pulled the book, with a bit too much force, and heard a piece of old parchment cracking loudly. The sound echoed on the walls and high ceiling, and it made Ingrid look around for a fleeting moment.
"See, look what you did!" She didn't bother keeping her voice low any longer. She looked at the Gryffindor angrily, letting the damaged book go, and, knowing that they'd be in trouble, stayed sill and listened to the approaching long and heavy steps.
Last edited by Ingrid Winterwood on 10th April 2018, 5:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

There was at most a twenty-five percent chance that she would go for it and let him have a go at the book first then trust him enough to hand it to her when he was finished. Suffice it to say she didn't take the bait; became rather livid in fact. If he had been a lesser person with low self-esteem he might have recoiled into a shell and let her have her way. As soon as her comment about him taking a century to read the book escaped her lips his fingers slipped a little, almost giving her full access to the book. He recovered quickly enough and reconfirmed his firm hold. "Did you just call me an idiot?! I'll have you know-" Whatever he was about to say died in his throat when he noticed the house elf walking by the end of the corridor and eyeing him through the rows from the Slytherin's end of the shelf. Dorian didn't bother to smile or hide the hostility he felt towards the girl and instead channeled this anger into a glare at the elf.

While she was making the attempt to ingratiate the house-elf he had turned back to face her and tried using his other hand to pry hers from the book. He was strong and didn't shy away from using physical force to get his way. Given another second he might have finally gotten her to release the book so he could get back to his own devices when he heard the rip that spelled disaster. A tiny gasp could be heard from him as he released the torn book as if it was on fire. "Nice! You don't get what you want so you throw a hissy fit. I feel sorry for your parents having to deal with you every day." He spoke loudly, projecting his voice in hopes that those footsteps he heard belonged to the Librarian. He liked to believe that the man liked him and would take his side given that he had never caused trouble before on any of his other visits.

The book's current state of disrepair was pitiful, and he couldn't help but take one last glance at the thing and wonder if there was a spell at the back of his mind that he could use to revert it to a former state. It was too late for all that, however, when the Librarian rounded the corner and approached from the Slytherin's side. The man picked up the book and stared long and hard at the damaged pages. She did not take her eyes off the book as she asked "well? Care to explain what happened here, young lady?" What a stroke of luck! She had yet to notice Dorian standing on the opposite side of the shelf. Thinking this to be an opportunity he took a quiet step away from the shelf, then another and another. When he thought he was far enough away he turned on his heels and was about to flee when a chilling voice denied his escape. "Take another step and consider yourself banned from my Library, Mr. Gray. Come to this isle and explain." So close.

Dorian sighed a very loud sigh and practically crawled to the other side, first noticing the furious long red hair that belonged to the Slytherin girl that had gotten him into trouble. She was a little shorter than he was, which wasn't saying much considering he was a bit taller than most of the other first years too. When he really took in her steadfast stance and the fire in her emerald eyes, he quickened his steps and straightened his back, assuming airs that he rarely did so as not to appear weak. "I'll gladly explain what happened. This girl saw me getting the book from the shelf and decided to cause trouble unprovoked. I've heard of unjust Slytherin aggression towards Gryffindor before but I must say, I never believed it to be true until now. She tore the book for no reason other than to ensure I wouldn't have it." The convincing tone in which he accused her could land him in drama club if he ever felt like it.

He didn't expect the Librarian to take his word for it without first hearing what the girl had to say, so it came as no surprise to him when the man turned to the red-head and raised an inquisitive eyebrow, waiting for her to say her piece before making a final decision on the matter. Regardless of what the outcome was, the fact remained that they had damagaed school property in their petty quarrel and there would be consequences.
Last edited by Dorian Gray on 10th April 2018, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

They both let the book go as they heard the rip, which caused it to fall to the stone ground. Ingrid stared at the book for a fleeting moment - knowing that they would be in a big trouble - then turned her eyes defiantly to the boy. To his pathetic insults she answered with a short derisive laugh, crossing her hands on her chest. Then she spoke in a cold and disparaging tone. "Oh really? Well, I must say my parents manage quite well - whereas I am being completely honest with you when I say that you totally seem to be living up to the expectation of Gryffindors being just a pack of lame twerps." Neither of them bothered to hold their tongue and keep their voices downhy, as they kept scowling at each other. As the Head Librarian then approached them, Ingrid kept her eyes at the boy until the old wizard picked up the damaged history book from the floor and turned his eyes to her. Ingrid raised her eyebrows slightly, having clearly an offended look on her face - oh, she would never consent to be blamed for this.

"Oh, well of course." Ingrid's voice was chill yet calm, as she tilted her head a little and looked at the wizard. She was actually quite happy for having the first word - only Merlin would know what that fool of a boy would let come out of his mouth if he was the one to first explain what had happened. Ingrid was just about to open her mouth and by improvising come up with a somewhat decent story, when the Librarian quite suddenly interrupted her. Ingrid rolled her eyes, shaking her head - did that poor Gryffindor cub really think that he could run away without any consequences? Not so brave and chivalrous, after all. From behind the old wizard's shoulder, she gave a smug smile at the boy as he began to tell what had happened to the poor book - or, what he thought had happened.

As the story - or rather a big bunch of lies - escaped from the boy's sneaky lips, Ingrid could do nothing but give him a short derisive laugh once again. "Nice try - but I think you're missing quite many details from your little fairytale," she snapped back at him, making the old wizard turn to her with a raised, inquisitive eyebrow. Ingrid was not afraid of the man - she would more than willingly tell her own view of the situation. Somehow this Gryffindor made the blood run wildly in her veins and her heart beat a little faster - she'd do anything to get out of this trouble, or at least drag that blue-eyed cub with her into it. She faced the Librarian's eyes with a confident, fierce look in her emerald eyes, and raised her chin a little as she spoke. "I never even saw him entering the Library, least searching the same book as I was. I was here first and after a long while of looking I finally got a hold on that book - and he decided to ruin it. To be honest, I can't remember us being even in the same class, so it seems that he only wanted to deny my opportunity to finish my homework."

The Librarian seemed calm yet not so glad - most likely he often did not have to solve these kind of situations with students and figure out a proper way to punish them. The old wizard shrugged his shoulders slowly once, carefully turning the old pages of the history book. Ingrid could see that the book was still readable, but yes, it would need some repairing. She touched lightly her red hair and impatiently waited what would come out of this. The old Librarian took his time - it felt like an eternity - sighing then deeply. "I can not allow this kind of behaving in my Library. I will think about a rightful punishment for you two - the detention will take place at nine o'clock tonight here, and from tonight on, I will have both of your access to this Library denied for the next two weeks."
Last edited by Ingrid Winterwood on 10th April 2018, 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

The 'lame twerp' comment did little to nothing to offend him. He was so far removed from the purported Gryffindor mindset that he lacked the capacity to take offense to what she had said. Instead of allowing himself to be baited into saying or doing something that he may end up regretting he had taken the high road and let her say her fill. After giving his account of the state of affairs to the Librarian, the biggest shit eating grin could be seen on his face as he folded his arms and looked intently at the girl whose turn it was to speak. It was as if he was daring her to say something to the contrary. For those that were lacking in character, this was usually the point when they backed down and allowed him to win the day. Discovering his unwavering resolve when it came on to having his own way and the cold stare he tended to give was typically enough to have them accepting whatever he fed them. Lies and all. Suffice it to say when the girl all but outright accused him of lying, Dorian's icy blue eyes took on a glacial glint.

While she said her piece Dorian didn't once relieve her of the intense pressure of his gaze, wanting her to feel nervous or even shaken. She was trying to turn him into the villain of the story with her lies. It was as plain as day in the generously lit library when he had made his move to get the book. She no doubt saw him moving to it and... A flash of possibility came to him as soon as the train of thought veered down a path that seemed likely. He could be wrong in his latest assumption, but what other reason could there be to explain this mess that he had found himself in? While the Librarian took time with his mental deliberation Dorian stepped closer to the girl, crowding her personal space and grabbing at her wrist none too gently, pulling her just out of earshot of the Librarian while he thought of a suitable punishment for them.

They didn't go far, and when he thought they had moved far enough he turned to face her with a knowing smile. "That's it isn't it? Of course. I should have seen this for what it was way sooner." He looked back at the Librarian to make sure he was still out of range before looking back at her. "Let me tell you this. There are easier ways to go about telling a boy that you like them. This is the twenty-first century. If you have something to say to someone just say it. No need for all the smoke and mirrors you call a performance. And what a hell of a performance it is." Dorian had interpreted the situation in such a way that was acceptable and made the most sense. He had no intention of getting into trouble over something this petty. It would not do to have word getting out that he was caught fighting with a girl over a book. What would that do to the reputation he was slowly trying to build and blemish?

He looked up just as the Librarian seemed to finish thinking and came closer to let them know what he had decided would be a suitable punishment. The detention he would take without a fight. It had to be done given that they had damaged school property in the most vicious of ways. As for the ban; he was beside himself. This was his quiet place. He could come here and get lost in the many stories and would do so when he wanted to be alone. It was all about to be ruined by the actions of some stupid girl. Assuming his most ingratiating smile, the one that had won over many an adult in the past, he spoke up. "We have actually spoken it over while you thought of our punishment, sir. She and I have come to an agreement that what she did was wrong and she already apologized. We accept that damaging school property comes with serious consequences and will happily serve whatever detention you think is most fitting. But...is the ban truly necessary? I mean...she apologized and we've put our differences aside. For the time being at least. Won't you reconsider?"

He totally just placed all the blame on the Slytherin girl for everything, making it sound as if she had willingly accepted her wrongdoings and apologized. Dorian would serve whatever detention the Librarian had in store for them and be done with it, then hopefully never have to suffer in the presence of the girl ever again. Maybe she would take the hint and steer clear of him altogether from this day onward. He only hoped she was smart enough to keep her mouth shut and accept the little compromise he was trying so desperately to work on. He didn't think she would make this any worse for either of them by refuting the things he had just said. Then again... She was a wildcard and he had no idea what she was capable of. Would she really just admit to all the blame and leave it at that? Dorian was dangerously close to blowing a fuse.

While the old Librarian tried to come up with an idea of how to properly punish them, Ingrid gave a bad look to the boy next to her, and as she then was about to turn her eyes away from him she could feel a not-so-gentle touch on her skin as the Gryffindor grabbed her wrist. In a flash, she tried to pull her hand away from him but his grip was too tight as he then pulled her a few feet away from the old wizard. Ingrid looked at the boy angrily, and once the boy then let her hand go she stepped even closer to him so that there were only a couple of pathetic inches between their faces. She looked into a pair of icy blue eyes without blinking her emerald ones, and a silent, blasphemous laugh escaped from her lips as she listened the nonsense falling from his mouth. "Oh, believe me, I've got much to tell you Mr. Show-off." She narrowed her eyes as she hissed, barely keeping her voice so low that the Librarian wouldn't hear. "First of all, you must be out of your mind if you think that anyone could ever like you - you are too uppish for even being a Gryffindor, and extremely annoying! Secondly, even if I happened to like you in another reality that feeling would last as long as a quick blink of an eye." She then quickly turned to look back at the old wizard before finishing her statement. "So, if you just lower your nose down and get back to this reality with us normal mortals, you may realize all that." She gave one last angry look at him, turning then towards the Librarian who approached them again with slow steps.

Well, the punishment could've been worse. Ingrid never spent that much time in the Library anyway and whatever she needed from there she could ask her friends to bring for her. However, she had never faced a detention before, which made her not only annoyed but a little uncertain also - who knew what in Merlin's beard they would have to do as they'd enter the dark and quiet Library later this evening. Her thoughts were thrown out of her mind in a fleeting moment as the Gryffindor had decided to make up another pitiful story in sake of getting himself out of responsibility. Ingrid lowered her eyebrows and tilted her head, giving the cub a warning glance. The Librarian clearly looked surprised yet not so convinced. "Is that so, Miss Winterwood?" The old wizard turned to stare at her over his eyeglasses. Ingrid did not need to hesitate for half a second as she then shook her head. "That's not quite right, I believe. I understand we did wrong by damaging the school property - however I am not the only one to blame here. And what comes to apologizing, well, he actually tried to make me accept this story of his and my role as the one in responsible for everything, in change for a couple of Chocolate Frog Cards."

"Mr. Gray - I wish to hear no more." The Librarian stayed calm - he must've expected neither of them to let the other get out of the situation easily, which made it even easier for him to decide that his decision was final. That said, the old wizard turned his back on them and slowly walked away, shaking his head and sighing deeply as he went. After he turned away from the isle and the silence fell upon them again, Ingrid picked up her bag from the floor and turned back to face the boy. A short smirk crossed her lips as she looked into the blue eyes. "Oh, are you going to cry now? It seems like this place means more to you than you were willing to admit just a short moment ago."
Last edited by Ingrid Winterwood on 11th April 2018, 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dorian had zero intention of 'lowering his nose' as the girl had so charmingly put it. Never one to go down without a fight, one could rest assured that he would make every attempt he could to see himself come out of this situation with the upper hand, albeit not completely unscathed. He was too busy maintaining eye contact with Mr. Quarren that he completely missed the death stare he was currently receiving from the Slytherin girl. The Librarian didn't seem quite convinced by Dorian's words, going as far as to asking the girl if all he had said was true. "Of c-" He was rudely cut off by her own voice that started to disclaim everything he had just said to the older man. The boy was about to rudely interject when a look from the Librarian silenced him. As soon as the girl had said her piece, he couldn't help the smirk that lightened his features. "Oh she's really good!"

Was that a hint of admiration in his voice? It adopted the same sarcastic tone he had been using with her throughout their entire encounter, but there was something else underneath. A sort of resignation when he finally came to understand that she wouldn't be easy prey. Good. It wouldn't do to have his newest plaything break before he had the chance to really test her boundaries. Looking at her from the corners of his eyes, Dorian felt the urge to continue their little battle of wits. "Master Quarren, surely you don't-" Mr. Gray - I wish to hear no more." Dorian's face registered disbelief when the old wizard all but told him to hush before walking away. His retreat was a flurry of wild movement of cloth and gray hair. It seemed the matter had been settled in its finality, which meant after whatever detention they were to serve tonight he would be banned from the Library for two whole weeks!

Quietly and without movement, he stood there, seemingly in a trance. On the outside, his face was a study of varying emotions vying for control while inside his mind whirred, trying to come up with a means by which to entreaty the old wizard's sympathy. He had almost forgotten his unwilling partner in crime was still present next to him until she shuffled to retrieve her bag from the ground. Turning to face her fully now, he couldn't help the animus that seemed to roll off him in waves cascading violently to reach her. Worst still, she decided to poke the bear by smirking and pouring spice into the fresh wound. One thing that needed to be noted about Dorian was that by this point, had she been a boy, he might have already knocked her out before things had escalated to this. Be that as it may, he had no qualms about knocking a girl out if pushed too far. This seemed a fair example of such a moment.

Taking a threatening step to close the gap between them, Dorian's hand reached out like a snake poised to strike and snatched her bag from her shoulder, tossing the thing away like so much rubbish. He pushed her backward in such a way as to catch her by surprise and kept advancing. "You must think you're so clever. He should have been well on his way to exiting the library before he got himself into even more trouble, but his better judgment had flown out the window along with the extremely short fuse he had been holding in check by a loose string. To think this altercation had all started over a single book, one that had many copies strewn about the library. "Why couldn't you have just gotten another copy like any sane person would do instead of trying to steal another's claim? I had heard red-heads were thick, but I never knew just how much until today."

Whatever admiration he had felt towards her at her earlier display of an ability to lie was long gone now, replaced by a need to hear her apologizing for complicating his life in such a way. It may seem silly in retrospect, considering that it was only a book, but the latter punishment was unjust and would see him ousted from one of his favorite places in the school. Such an affront couldn't go unpunished. "Tell me your name! I wish to know who the insufferable troublemaker is that I will rain misery upon for the rest of the school year." It was less a threat and more a promise that he would not be letting this incident go. He may be young, but he was already so good at making people miserable. She would soon learn that one did not challenge Dorian Gray.

By all means Ingrid had tried to push this bickering between them to its limit and irritate the boy as much as she could by provoking his apparently quite short temper - and clearly she had finally succeeded doing so and crossed the furthest line. As she was about to turn around and make her way out of the Library her attempt was unexpectedly denied as the boy grabbed her school bag from her shoulder, throwing it on the hard stone floor. "Hey, what are you do-" Ingrid exclaimed, being unable to hide neither the anger or the hint of surprise in her tone as the boy rudely pushed her backwards so that she stumbled a little and hit the bookshelf behind her. She certainly would have some pretty bruises garnishing her upper arm for the next days, but that was the least concern in her mind. Having grown up with two brothers, Ingrid had gotten used to taking part in all kind of squabbles and she was not scared of that the slightest - but getting into one with a fool like this boy was, and through his initiative, was simply not acceptable and it made her lose her fragile self-possession. It was not her way to back out from such situations, and this time was no exception.

"What is wrong with you!" she then retorted, after taking a fleeting moment to pull her thoughts together. She didn't hesitate to quickly step forward towards a bit taller boy and shove his shoulder as strong as she could, pushing him away from herself. Her blood surged in her veins and she could feel her heartbeat getting faster as she glared at him, emerald green eyes set on fire with anger. "And I had heard that they'd leave all the wimps home with their Mommies - but clearly not as here you are ruining my day! This whole thing wouldn't have happened if you had kept your big nose out of my business and let me finish my task." They kept staring at each other fiercely. Ingrid was slightly breathing through her mouth as things were starting to get intense, she would never let the boy walk out of this - ever. There was absolutely no way going back after his latest move, and if he indeed had thought that the storm was about to be over she could promise that it was only about to rise to a totally new level.

She picked up her school bag once again from the floor, raising her chin a bit as the boy spoke and demanded her to tell him her name. She wasn't scared of him, not a slightest bit, and his so-called threats did not make her eyes lose their burning fire. She stepped in front of him, leaving only few inches between their faces. "You flatter yourself way too much - if you think you scare me in any way you couldn't be more wrong, Gray." She gave him one last look, then stepping away from him and turning around. Her steps were confident as she left him watch her distancing back, leaving him with nothing else but a bright, unforgettable memory of burning red hair. They'd see each other soon enough, and that time, Ingrid would be ready. This fool of a Gryffindor had made a huge mistake threatening her and making her ordinary afternoon become a terrible one - and for that, she would make sure that he'd regret it.

As he had come to discover in the short time they had been at it, this girl was no easy target. She matched his venom for venom, spat it with as much vehemence as he did, and above all else, returned his physical reproach in kind. It didn't hurt when she pushed him, but it had been done with enough force to move him, causing him to take a few steps back or risk falling. This wasn't her first rodeo. It felt practiced like she had done so on other occasions. His anger reached new heights as she gave him a proper verbal lashing, the red of her hair almost seeming like a wild blaze the angrier she got. At the mention of 'mommies', the boy went numb, all thought of backing down and letting her be suddenly experiencing death by asphyxiation in the process. She didn't know this, but she had touched on a sore topic for Dorian, namely his mother. Mention of her in any regard only served to place him on edge. It was a wonder how he didn't retaliate there and then.

She was infuriating in her persistence to see him riled up. Her vitriolic words, although hurtful and plain mean, garnered a sliver of respect from the boy as he listened to her tirade wordlessly, unable to get a word in edgewise as the girl went on and on. There was absolutely no turning back now. They were both locked in heated warfare, where only one would come out on top and be crowned the victor. He watched her grab her bag from where it had fallen on the ground, refusing to give her name as he had demanded. Instead, she spoke her thoughts as plainly as possible, letting him know that she was not afraid of him. From the sound of it, nothing he could say or do would change this. Dorian watched her retreating figure, an image of fiery red hair most prominent in his mind as soon as she was out of sight.

For a long time, he stood there and watched the entrance, wordless and unmoving. It was almost like he was in a trance, lost in his own little world. In truth, he was thinking of all the ways he would make her pay for what she had done. He swore to ruin her life while she remained here at Hogwarts. By the time he was finished with her, she would be the one waving the white flag and be begging for peace, at which point he would strike the final blow for good measure. "You messed with the wrong Gryffindor!" This was far from over.

-----------------------

Dorian hadn't left the library since the earlier confrontation and instead tried to use the girl's absence to appeal to Mr. Quarren to cut back on the punishment a little. The detention he would happily accept but the ban was a bit much. All it had served to do was anger the man further and earning himself an added week on the ban as well as detention for the rest of this week. In all, he had made some poor choices today and he was feeling the full sting of the consequences. Where one would have thought he would learn his lesson and start to behave, mischief was the only thing on his mind even now. He sat quietly at one of the pristine tables and was deep into a book on transfiguration that revealed a few particulars on the ins and outs getting well on one's way to practicing the art of transforming oneself into an animal at will; becoming an Animagus.

At the back of his mind, he recalled the incident and waited for the Ms. Winterwood to show up any minute so they could serve their detention in whatever way the Librarian had planned for them. However, there was no point in squandering his opportunity to gather as much information as he could before the door was officially closed on him. He had been using the day to catch up on some reading seeing as the ban wouldn't be implemented until tomorrow. Mentally multitasking, he also considered the plan that he and Lisabetta had come up with. It was a good plan, one that the Slytherin girl wouldn't see coming. The tables were about to turn in his favor.

For the rest of the day Ingrid tried to act and look as if nothing had happened at all. She tried to push the stupid Gryffindor cub out of her mind, as well as the awaiting detention that she'd have to attend later in the evening. She tried her best to concentrate in the remaining classes but it turned out to be extremely difficult as she couldn't hold the anger and irritation inside her towards the show-off Gray. In the early evening she killed some time at the Quidditch pitch with her two brothers, not mentioning the incident that had taken place earlier in the Library - she knew she could tell anything to her brothers and get them stand them beside her and face whatever was ahead of them, but now it was not the time - not yet. Quidditch was an excellent way to let out all the angry and frustrated emotions that had persistently followed Ingrid for the whole day, and that said, she was already able to smile and laugh a little as she left the field alongside her brothers only a short moment before dinner.

When everyone else gathered together in the common room to play games and exchange the newest Chocolate Frog Cards, Ingrid sneaked out - unnoticed - from the basements and quite unwillingly made her way up to the fourth floor. The moving staircase as well as the corridors were quiet and unoccupied as the clock would soon hit the hour when students weren't allowed to wander around the castle any later. As Ingrid walked down the corridor that lead to the double-doors of the Library, she could hear the paintings on the walls talk and whisper hysterically around, clearly wondering whether they should quickly travel to the nearest classroom, any of the professors and report a student for this wrongdoing! Ingrid rolled her eyes as she walked past them, wondering if she indeed could get punished with a detention for walking to attend another one. As she then finally reached the end of the corridor and entered the Library with long, confident steps she saw that fool of a Gray a bit further away, apparently deeply focused on a book in front of him.

As she approached him, a complacent smile crossed her lips. She stayed some feet away from him and leaned her shoulder against a corner of one of the bookshelves, tilting her head slightly. "Well, good evening Gray. I can see you're doing your best to enjoy it here until the very last minutes, how touching - I wonder how you will manage without all this." The tone of her voice indeed was sympathetic, but that small vicious smile on her lips told another story as she let her glance wander around on the thousands of books. Books that had never held a special place in her mind or heart, as she had always been way too impatient to sit down and read, her mind simply being too wild to take in hundreds of pages. After a fleeting moment her strong gaze reached the pair of blue eyes in the dusk of the Library. What she felt towards him was pure anger and indignation, he had dragged her into this without even admitting his own guiltiness, and moreover, stepped over the line by getting into that pitiful squabble with her.

"Ah, there they are." The Head Librarian approached them with two house elves who carried long wooden ladders in their small hands. Ingrid rolled her eyes slightly and sighed deeply, crossing her arms on her chest as she already could guess what kind of a plan the old wizard had come up with to punish them. "Miss Winterwood," he said with a low voice and looked at the girl, then turning his gaze slowly to the Gryffindor. "And Mr. Gray. Here we are then, I'm glad that you both are in time so we can begin." He clapped his hands twice, enchanting the ladders and whirling them through the air, placing them in front of the bookshelf behind them. Their task was to wipe the dust and alphabetize the history books in their right order as they were in total chaos after a long summer. "And, I guess I do not need to remind you to not use your wands." The Head Librarian said, rising his eyebrows a bit at them, waiting for a signal of understanding the instructions given.

Somewhere along the way in his reading, he came across mention of the Homorphus Charm, which by its description was used to transform an Animagus or transfigured object to its original shape. Intrigued, he read further into the spell, studying the intricate patterns and mechanics that surrounded the spell's proper use and control. It was a fairly whimsical charm, only truly useful in case he ever met an Animagus that he would ever need to force into their true form or anything that had been transfigured that he wanted to return to normal. He could think of one recent incident that fell into the realm of the latter and couldn't help but chuckle at how useful it would have been if he had known of this spell at the time.

He thought of procuring his wand and transforming something so he could attempt the Homorphus Charm to return it to its original state, but thought better of it, remembering why he was here in the first place. An added sentence to his detention would most likely mean an entire month if he did something as stupid as having bunnies hopping around inside a library without being able to change them back before they spread. The thought alone was enough to stay his mind on the path of theoretical know-how for the time being. Not much time elapsed while he was deep in reading when a familiar voice grated at the edge of his nerves and edged his teeth. It belonged to the reason he was to suffer these punishments in the first place. Resignedly, he closed the book and pushed it carefully aside, no longer able to focus, what with the new arrival and all.

"Always a pleasure to see you Winterwood. I had hoped on your way here a freak accident would've occurred and put you out of my misery." The bored monotone that he used to address her and the unwillingness to make eye contact were ploys that he hoped would assuage her ego that rivaled his own. If she was anything like him; as one of his self-defense teachers had always taught him to 'know thine enemy', then she would take his demeanor to mean he had waved the white flag and had ceded victory to her. He wanted her to let her guard down as much as possible so his plan could be more effective. It hinged vastly on the aid of someone he didn't even know if he could trust. She had been all he had to turn to at such short notice and he hoped she would come through for him.

Dorian completely dismissed the Slytherin girl's presence and rested his head in the palms of his hands that were plopped up on the table by his elbows. It wasn't long before Mr. Quarren approached them with an almost surprised expression as if he hadn't been expecting them to show. Two house elves accompanied him with wooden ladders. It took Dorian a second but he came to the conclusion that they would be no doubt sorting through books for their time spent here. As soon as the ladders were in place and their task was verbally confirmed and outlined, Dorian smiled, knowing that this was something he could breeze through, no sweat. Maybe if he did a good enough job he could get the Librarian to ease up on the punishment a little. The stated prohibition of their wands' use gave him pause. Not that he intended to use the thing for the work they had been given, but in case his improvised partner in crime failed to show he had hoped to use it to cause some trouble for Ms. Winterwood and defend its use by claiming to make the work easier.

Now the wand had been expressly banned and there would be no forgiving any magical trace that came from him. Why was it starting to seem like so much of a chore to prank the girl? It was as if unknown forces were conspiring against him to see no harm befall her. Dorian pushed himself away from the table and got to work. When he walked past the girl he held his head straight and didn't even acknowledge her presence in the slightest. He would not give her the satisfaction of self-importance. Her time would come even without the boon of magic. Being a veteran of the library and the systematic sorting of its various texts, he knew exactly where to begin and what to do. Only once, casually and without expression, he chanced a glance in the girl's direction to see how she was faring.

Ingrid sighed and rolled her eyes as the old wizard turned to look at Gray. The task they were given would take ages without a wand! It seemed like the old man couldn't care less if they had to spend the whole night in the Library and attend the morning classes without the slightest amount of sleep. Ingrid was annoyed - not only for the punishment they were given but also because that fool of a Gray was smiling and seemed slightly relieved for some reason. She gave a quick glance at him and shook her head quietly as she could not figure out a single reason to smile in this moment. Clearly the Gryffindor cub was up to something - in addition to currying favor with the old Librarian, of course, as for an attempt to get eased up on the punishment. Or something else as pitiful. As the boy then walked pass her, he seemed to have decided to not notice her presence in any way - well, better that way, at least the evening would not be a brutal torture of listening to him.

The old wizard then finally turned his back at them and walked away with the elves, leaving them alone by themselves and hundreds of unsorted history books. Ingrid watched his distancing back for a long while, sighed deeply once more and then slowly walked to the other end of the shelf - Gray had already began with the task so she could not do anything else but do her own part. She was not planning on staying here for the rest of the night, let alone to come back the next day. If they were lucky, they would get to finish the task in time and would not have to see each other again for a good while. Ingrid stepped on the wooden ladders and climbed a few steps to reach the books on the highest row. As she started to sort the books in their correct alphabetical order, she changed a quick look with Gray before getting into her own thoughts in the remaining silence.

After giving a further thought to it, Ingrid came to a conclusion that the detention could have been hundreds of times worse. Instead of spending their time in a silent, warm Library, they could have been sent to the Forbidden Forest to find ingredients for Herbology or, even worse, to collect garden gnomes under the Whomping Willow. This task did not, at least, cause any danger to them and they did not have to work together to be able to complete it.

Ingrid stepped off from the ladders after finishing one long row of history books which dealt with The First Wizarding War. She straightened her pleated skirt, stretched her arms and looked up at the books, satisfied with her own work and effort. A slight smile crossed her lips as she approached Gray with confident yet unhurried steps. Crossing her arms on her chest and tilting her head a little, she looked down at the boy and measured his work with her eyes. "Seriously, could you be any slower with this?" she said with a slightly annoyed yet clear, sarcastic tone in her voice. "I have already finished one whole row and you don't seem to be even half way - I wish you were as sharp in your actions as your tongue is. Hurry up!" She shook her head a little and turned around, heading back to where she had left the ladders. She really needed to speed up as the Gryffindor had - not surprisingly - turned out to be such a slug and they definitely would never be finished before the dawn! "How about reading less while doing your part-" Ingrid's sentence was suddenly interrupted as a bemused breath hissed through her teeth.

She could swear to Merlin's beard that she had sorted a whole bunch of history books, yet still the row looked the exact same as it was before she had started working on them - the books did not stand in any kind of order, the least in an alphabetical one. Some of them stood in the row the wrong way around, and now that Ingrid took a closer look, she noticed that some of the books were missing. Her eyebrows creased closer together as she quickly looked around - Gray was still there, in his own spot, just like he had been for the whole time. At least Ingrid supposed so. She turned her eyes back at the books, trying to see behind them - and as she did, she could see a glimpse of an electric blue glint in the dusk of the Library. "Gray. I think we might have a tiny problem here." Her voice was low as she looked into a pair of curious, mischievous black eyes of a small Pixie.

To see that she was dutifully at work completing her portion of the task they had been given gave him some semblance of satisfaction, though he was still hardpressed in understanding how a learned man in the Librarian's position could have allowed a biblioclast like Winterwood to remain within twenty yards of the very things she seemed prone to ruin. As much as he didn't, or rather refused to understand it, he resigned himself to accept that this was happening. He was here serving a detention that he had to admit could have been a thousand times worse than this, in a library full of books no less. If one really stopped to consider this fact then could it really then be said that this was truly such a bad thing? For a bibliophile such as himself, this was basically heaven. Unrestricted access to a library full of books was the best thing that could ever happen to him.

Given his proclivity to browse through the contents of each book he picked up with the intention of replacing on its correct shelf, it was safe to say progress on his part was clocking in at snail's pace. The latest book pretty much assimilated him into the pages written in stylish cursive on some of Hogwart's lesser-known history. It was clearly someone's own account of things from ages past that had made the school into the grand monument of education that it was. Dorian seldom blinked as he read, engrossed in the words and the work all but forgotten. Having been so deep in what he was currently doing, he had missed the sound of the girl's approach and the first few words she had said, her words only registering from the point where she mentioned "...finished one whole row..." To think she had left her own solitude to come over to him just to say that.

Dorian didn't so much as lift his head from the book, and his back remained turned to her, so she could not have noticed the twinkle that alighted in his eyes and the vain smile that he now wore like a badge. "Awww! You think I'm sharp. Why my dear Winterwood, you should be careful. You're starting to sound suspiciously like a fangirl with all these positive observations." So he elected to paraphrase and omit most of what she had said. The fact remained that he enjoyed his comebacks and one-upping her at each step possible. Their little back and forth seemed as if it would continue when she started on how he was wasting time reading rather than finishing his task, but something had silenced her midsentence. Dorian's heart began to flutter slightly in his chest. Could it be? He wondered if the girl he had met before had finally come to do her part.

He did not turn around or spare a glance, not wanting to give himself away if that was the case. A minute or two more and he would allow himself the satisfaction of seeing what had been done. He could already imagine the look on Winterwood's face. Maybe she had been so stunned by whatever had happened that she simply could no longer speak. That would have been a blessing to everyone who had ever had to listen to a single insufferable word that came out of her mouth. When he felt enough time had passed he lifted his head without turning around and spoke. "Is that you giving up?" She didn't answer, which piqued his curiosity to its limit, causing him to turn to see what had happened. It was then that her next words sent a chill tiptoeing up his spine. It was the somber tone with which she addressed him that wiped the smile from his face. As soon as he had his back turned to his own shelf he heard shuffling among the rows followed by a high-pitched sound like a laugh. Turning back, he noticed the tiny blue creature peering from between the shelves at him. "If you're seeing what I think you're seeing then we have a problem over here too."

This was unexpected. He hadn't felt his fellow Gryffindor would have released pixies in the library. Where did she even manage to find them? Dorian knew he had told her to make it look as if he had absolutely nothing to do with whatever plot she set loose on the Slytherin girl but wasn't this going a bit far? He had to admit this was a good way to make him look like just another victim, but once released the pixies became an extreme nuisance. These two seemed very ready to impart their special brand of mischief. Not wasting any time thinking about it further, he decided to get his problem under control before it had time to make things worse than they already were. Dorian lunged at the thing where it etched itself between the shelves, coming so close to wrapping it in his fist when it jumped at the last minute and started tossing books off the shelves and straight at him as it ran away.

Having to bob and weave so as to evade the incoming books, he dove to the ground where the pixie had landed and was sure he had caught the thing in his grip, but when he opened his hands just a crack to see he noticed they were empty. He felt something tugging at his hair painfully and pulling his head back. The current position he was in, prostrate and with his head being forced back by his hair, was undoubtedly painful, vocalized by the sharp yell that came from him. It was both a good and a bad thing that the library was empty or he might have made quite the disturbance with all the tumbling and shouting that he was doing, but the absence of others meant they were on their own with the two vile creatures that were up to no good. As the thing pulled he snatched it with his hand and held tight, squeezing the little thing with much force. "Gotcha you stupid blue glorified bug!" It chomped down on his hand, hard, and his fingers loosened as if on their own, releasing it. By now its friend had started causing all sorts of trouble for the girl as well. As he got to his feet Dorian looked over, slightly concerned about how she was faring.

Lisabetta had to keep the giant grin off of her face as she hurried along the corridors towards the Library. Thankfully it was late enough in the day that most of the students were already tucked away in their common rooms, leaving the corridors mostly empty. She had gotten a note from her Prefect to go the Library, saying she had forgotten a book she desperately needed for an assignment that was due soon. Because Lisabetta could almost always been found studying or doing school work, it was an easy story to sell.

Getting the two pixies was a different story though. She wasn't even sure that she would be able to, but she had formed a good relationship with the Professor of Care of Magical Creatures. She had expressed that she had always been intrigued with pixies, and wanted to examine them more closely. She had promised to not take them out of the cage, and only go as far as the edge of the Forbidden Forest with them. She didn't even want to think about the trouble she would get in if she was caught doing what she was trying to do. She had chosen pixies cause it was easy to say that they had simply gotten out somehow and decided to wreak havoc on some students. 

She entered the Library silently, knowing that she was bit earlier than Dorian had told her he would be here, but she hadn't wanted to risk him seeing her before she could exact her revenge on him for disrespecting her. This was unlike anything that Eliana had ever done. She couldn't keep the grin from spreading across her face as she thought of how her best friend, Elvira, would react if she knew what she was up to. Elvira would probably have been very proud, Eliana having done this without a push from anyone else. 

She didn't have to wait long before before Dorian entered the Library, joined by a Slytherin girl that Lisabetta assumed was the one who ripped the book. Although Lisabetta was sure Dorian was at fault for their misunderstanding, there was no excuse to damage school property, and especially not something as sacred as a book. She waited until they were sent on their task for detention, and the old Librarian went off to do whatever he did, vanishing among the tall bookcases. Lisabetta set the cage down, grinning at the pixies. 

"Do what you do best, but be sure to mess with those two students in particular." She had moved the cage so that the pixies could see the two young students she was talking about. She knew that pixies would do whatever the heck they wanted, but she was hoping that they would want to do what she asked, I mean, it's what they would have done anyway. She released the cage door and quickly moved away, not wanting to get in the way of the pixies and their path of mayhem. 

She continued to watch from far enough away where she wouldn't be noticed, hopefully, and couldn't have been more proud with the outcome, Dorian Gray would wish he had never upset Lisabetta. After a few moments and seeing that her plan was definitely going how she planned, she left the library as silently as possible. It was a great start but I no way was this over, Dorian Gray was going to pay.