Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Fact & Fiction  PV Aubren Anson   Finished 

Reducio
continued from here

"Hmph," Max said at Aubren's declaration that he wouldn't beat her, arching a brow as his smile turned mischievous. That's what she thought. He planned to even out the points as soon as possible, though if things kept up like this he had a feeling that their counts would both stay similar. It was cool, though, how easy it was to have a friendly competition with Aubren. For the majority of his life competitions were never something to be so casual about, yet in less than an hour he'd discovered how fun they could be. It was so... easy being friends with Aubren. Especially now that he was realizing that she'd been sincere the entire time.

Max started in surprise when she grabbed his sleeve, then laughed and rushed to keep up with her as the large wooden door grew closer. He couldn't stop himself from eagerly bouncing on his toes this time, his stomach doing flips in excitement as he tried to imagine what a place with so many years of knowledge would look like. When she opened the door, he let out an audible gasp of shock, following her inside and craning his neck to stare upwards.

If he'd thought the library at the Avery house was big, he couldn't even imagine a word for this. There were so many books that he didn't expect he could read them all in a lifetime, let alone the few years he'd be attending school here. A myriad of spine colours decorated each shelf, and the architecture screamed of older days when people put genuine time into carving wood. He'd give his right arm and leg just to get his hands on a book about how this library was started.

"It's incredible," he breathed so low he could barely hear his own voice, a low laugh of wonder escaping his lips as he spun around. Even the dust motes made visible by the warm sunlight slanting in through a nearby window lent themselves to the room's ambiance. Dust meant age, and how many ages had people been coming here? How many lives had this library influenced, how many books here were worth years of the author's dedication? It felt grander than anything; blood feuds and petty squabbles felt insignificant among so much history.

Aubren's voice was the only thing that drew him out of the odd feeling of being a tiny cog in a much larger wheel, and what she said made him dizzy with possibility. There was... so much they could do. So many different adventures they could go on, like the people who'd been here before them.

"I can see them," he answered in a voice hushed with awe, laughing again and stretching out his arms to spin around. "We have seven years here! We can do so much! So much to learn, so many pranks to play... I'll bet I can yell louder than you at Quidditch. We ought to make that one of our competitions." He stopped spinning, sighing contentedly. Nothing could be better than this, being in a library with a really great friend. He turned to her, unable to stop smiling as he offered her a bow and jokingly affected a distinct Brummie accent. "And now, milady, it's time to figure out how to speak the language of trolls, innit?"
Last edited by Max Avery on 10th June 2018, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

M. Avery
STA - 7, EV - 5, STR - 1, WIS - 9, ARC - 10, ACC - 8

Aubren smiled at Max, a few giggles escaping from her. The plans the two prepared together seemed to make Aubren happy. It was going to be a great year, she was sure of it. Just like forever ago, three students became lifetime friends, and have done the same exact activities. She started to laugh once more at Max's idea of another competition, one where the two would be able to watch a thrilling game of Quidditch from the stands.

Aubren could easily imagine spending seven years here with Max, and glad it was him, too. She could easily picture them getting older, going to Qudditch games, studying, sitting by the Common room fires as the holidays went by, Hogsmeade...the exciting list went on and on, and Aubren couldn't wait for it all.

She enjoyed his joke, and honestly was glad he was out of the no fun rule. She believed it was for the better...although it made her question what made him do that in the first place. Aubren kept the thought to herself, and instead carried on his joke, taking the ends of her skirt to lift it up slightly in a bow. She looked up at him, eye gleaming.

"I believe it is, my good sir." Aubren said, her strong British accent making the act even better. She stood fully, a smile still on her face. "Let's go explore."
With that being said, Aubren began to walk forward, her head looking around in awe and curiosity. She scanned for anything that involved the languages, but kept getting distracted along the way. Occasionally she would yell out "Look, Max! There's books on Potion crafting!" or "They have books about ghosts and spirits over here!"

ѕнe вlooмѕ wιtн ɢrαce ιɴ lιfe'ѕ ɢαrdeɴ
~A.A, Gryffindor

Max followed Aubren, dragging his fingers over books and coming over to study each book she pointed out eagerly. He recognized some here and there but for the most part, he'd never seen a hundredth of what they were walking by. It made him wonder what was in the Restricted Section they'd all been warned about; what kind of secrets hid back there? There were probably some incredible spells, though he had no desire to get himself in trouble trying to find out.

"We could find so much here!" he called as he peered down one of the shelves, eyes lighting up at the sight of Modern Magical History, one of his favourites. Him and Aubren could practise tons of spells they read about here; he reckoned she was a powerful witch if she was pure-blood. He was about to lean back from scanning the shelf when another book caught his eye. The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts. He remembered getting that from his uncle on his seventh birthday, and his good mood suddenly faded as he backed away from the shelf, tucking his hands in his pockets and casting a glance at Aubren.

How much did he really know about her family, anyway? She was friendly and sincere, and she'd come from a line of Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs. A lot of them - especially Hufflepuffs - were too nice for their own good and didn't share his views on muggles. Even with the bloodline he thought she had, what would she think when he inevitably messed with some muggle-born? How did she feel about keeping blood pure?

"Aubren," he began somberly, not sure exactly how to phrase it, but before he could get it out a title on a nearby seemed to leap out at him. "Behind you! I knew there was a book based solely on trolls, but I forgot it was by Gilderoy Lockhart. Man, I hope it isn't as fake as he apparently was." Earlier question forgotten, he ran up to grab the book, waving it excitedly. "Travels with Trolls." He offered her the book. "Would you do the honours?"

M. Avery

Aubren had been scanning through titles when he said her name. She turned to look at him before a sudden excitement jumped out from him, making him grab the book. It surprised her by the sudden act, but she quickly got over it when he offered her the book. Aubren glanced up at him with a smile before gently taking it away from him, holding it delicately in her grasp as she opened up the cover. She walked backwards a few feet, letting herself sit in a large chair right next to the window, a spare chair right across from her.

She was flipping through page after page, each page making her expression shift into more confusion.
"There are at least twenty pages about him! How self centered people can get..." She sighed as she went by another five or more pages before her brilliant eyes lit up again. She leaned forward in her chair, scanning over a page with a great interest.

"Trolls are dangerously violent and incredibly aggressive. Their diet is consistent, in which they have a...taste for human flesh...oh, he just goes on to say how he defended of four. Four? He's mad if he thinks I wouldn't tell a lie, they're comparable to giants! I know for a fact they have unpredictable behaviour, and he says he used a simple spell! If it was me, I would've used what I knew and worked my way from there."
Aubren blew a piece of her brown hair out of her face, her grandfather, a pure Gryffindor at heart, always enjoyed watching her talk someone off, he would have been even more pleased to find out she was doing it to Lockhart and his ridiculous way of stating information and turning it into a story about him. Unlike most of the girls from years ago, Aubren saw right through it with ease.

She looked at her friend, turning the book around to show him a painting of the author standing among a pile of trolls, holding his wand like an usheathed sword. Aubren tilted her head at him.
"I mean, honestly!"

~A.A, Gryffindor

Max followed Aubren eagerly, standing in front of the chair and trying to read upside down to see if it said anything about how to speak troll. His expression slowly soured as Aubren flipped through page after page about the Lockhart fellow; trust a half-blood to drone on about himself and try to make himself look better because he wasn't a good wizard. He rolled his eyes, holding back laughter at the thought that such a man could take down four trolls.

"It's okay to be arrogant, but you have to have the skill to back it up," Max snorted, then grinned at how Aubren had torn a strip from Lockhart. He almost wished the man was around just to hear her laying into him; he'd bet Lockhart wouldn't even be able to defend himself against a certain feisty Gryffindor girl, let alone four trolls. He studied the picture she'd held up with a disbelieving smirk, leaning closer.

"Look at the way they're arranged," he laughed, tapping the pile. "Would one troll just stand around while the others were taken out? They wouldn't fall like that if it was only person who'd taken them out; there would've had to be at least two people. I can't believe he thought this picture would fool anyone." He reached out to flip a couple more pages, quickly scanning headers, and let out a triumphant breath when he came to language.

"Found it! They..." His face fell and he shook his head, disappointed. "Trained trolls can understand a few human words, but it's impossible for people to speak their language. Only understand it, if you're lucky. Lockhart says he understood, but he's dafter than a toad and much more likely to lie. I suppose if you spent your life with magical creatures, you could eventually learn... But not any time soon, that's for sure."

M. Avery

Aubren closed the book, shaking her head as she stood up and placed the book down next to Max. She turned on her heel and marched straight over to the book shelf, pulling out her wand. She scanned the shelves in silence for a few moments before she pointed her hand into the direction of the shelf, mumbling something under her breath.

Suddenly, a book from a high shelf, one where the two couldn't reach until they were older, came floating out of it's place in the brown colored section. Aubren mumbled again, pointing her wand at another place on the shelves, this time two books floating out and travelling with the first book over to her chair. Aubren did this process until she had seven books all together piled onto the velvet chair.

Aubren had been studying spells since she was nine years old. She asked her mother to teach her wand movements and the correct ways to cast them (however, Aubren would have to use a wooden spoon in turn of a wand.) She was an excelling witch, that was for sure, and even though she flawlessly completed a spell, Aubren didn't seem to think much of it.

In one swift motion, Aubren put her wand back underneath her robes, walking back to her seat and sitting down. She took the pile of books and separated them, holding three out for Max, two of them were the first and second volume to learning different techniques about defeating or defending against a troll, while the other was the basics of starting to learn how to speak their language. She had tried to find him the easiest language book she could find, and the word 'easily written for beginners' caught her eye.

"Let's try some of these."

~A.A, Gryffindor

Max raised his brows, impressed, as Aubren gathered up quite the armload without ever using her arms. It seemed like a lot of the students here had practised spells before coming, though he hadn't seen many people with that kind of mastery. He knew a lot of combat spells - knew of them at least; he hadn't practised many - but the every day kind were somewhat more foreign to him. She was a hell of a witch if she did them without thinking about it.

"Alright," Max replied as he accepted the books she was holding out, nodding approvingly. Defense and defeating were something he could certainly get behind, and now it almost felt like a competition to learn the language that that idiot Lockhart had said was impossible to learn. He chose a chair close to Aubren and set the books on it, sitting cross-legged on the floor as he opened them to scan through their introductions and find something he liked.

For the next while, he read rapidly, picking chapters at random in each book. Intelligence level here, magic resistance there, a grunt signaling some kind of war cry in another one. He stared, wondering exactly how to interpret the way the letters were written. "Hurghh," he grunted, his face colouring at how ridiculous it sounded. He wasn't sure how it differed from 'Urgh' or 'Huhgn' but apparently there was a difference.

"So," he cleared his throat, a smirk on his face. "I think I've figured it out. Trolls speak caveman. That's the only explanation I can come up with for what I've read so far. Apparently 'ugh urng hur' roughly translates to a greeting, but there's no direct translation to words. On the bright side, I found out that they're weak to scents."

M. Avery

Aubren crossed her legs and leaned her head onto her hand, skimming through a book explaining the different types of trolls found throughout the magical world. She paused at a certain page with a description showing the height of the trolls as well as hostility. She flipped through some more pages before stopping at how strong the creatures were, and instantly flipped by it as quickly as she could. An image of a human skeleton with the injuries circled in the affected areas gave her the answer.

She looked at Max as he made the noises, which made her undergo a series of giggles. She of coursed laughed in a good hearted way, not to make fun of him. Aubren placed the book page down next to her and scooted close to the other side of her chair, this way she would be closer to Max to be able to peer down quickly at the book. She smiled at his smirk, seeing it as though he was being clever.

"Weak to scents? You could easily lose them, then, if you had to hide from them that is."
Aubren tilted her head at that, thinking how easy it would be to fool them. They wouldn't even have to fight back for what it's worth, all they'd have to do his trick it if the time ever came to. Aubren grasped the book she had moments before and opened it once again, flipping to another chapter.

"My grandfather told me he'd encountered Mountain Trolls before, although he never fought them. He would've too, he's a...er, very proud man." Aubren laughed as she stopped to look down at a drawing of a troll family tree, each type linking with one another, even a Yeti.

~A.A, Gryffindor

Max let out a small laugh under his breath at Aubren's giggles; the language did sound pretty ridiculous, especially in his boy's voice that hadn't deepened enough to give him that really guttural sound that it appeared trolls had. She was certainly right about the scents, though; he was pretty sure there were a couple of easy spells you could do to make a room stink. Or you could even summon something, if need be, like a particularly pungent perfume.

"Proud?" Max asked with a grin, side-eyeing Aubren to take in her expression when she said that. After hearing her knock Lockhart down a peg or six, he imagined that anyone she'd be related to had to be pretty feisty. And if this grandfather was from the Gryffindor side of the family instead of the Hufflepuff - well, he wouldn't ever like to mess with Aubren and then meet her grandfather afterwards.

Craning his neck, Max caught a glimpse of the page Aubren was looking at, blinking in surprise at the picture of a Yeti. He'd had no idea those creatures were related to trolls, but it made sense. If they were as vicious as their cousins... "Dyatlov Pass," he muttered under his breath, suppressing a shiver. Few things disturbed him, but reading about that had. If all that destruction had been caused by a Yeti, he didn't even want to know what a troll could do.

To distract himself, he went back to his own books and scanned a couple more of the grunts, tracing his fingers lightly over the pages.

"What's your family like, anyway?" he asked curiously; he still couldn't quite bring himself to ask about their ideology, but it would be interesting to hear about the home life of another pure-blood. Most of the families he'd met were cold and distant, but then, the children of those families retained that attitude until they got to know someone. Aubren had been open since the beginning.

M. Avery

Aubren wasn't asked that question before. Well, then again, Max is her first and only friend, so she obviously wouldn't have. She paused as from examining the photo to looking up in silence, a smile on her face.

"It's a big family. It's just my mum and dad and me, but I have my grandparents, uncles, aunts, and older cousins. It's all from my dad's side, though, we don't usually get visited from my mum's side, which is fine, because they're just as nice."
Aubren sat back in her chair. Memories swam through her mind, things like playing hide and seek with her father to arm wrestling with her grandfather (of course, he'd always let her win when she was little, now, Aubren knew his massive tree trunk like arms would beat her in that game anyday.)

"My dad's side comes over for the holidays. We have a huge dinner and play in the snow...at night we sit by the fire and my grandfather talks about his stories of being a wizard, even what it was like in the Wizarding War. He told me he met Dumbledore once!"
She sighed contently before looking down at the book again, a warm feeling generating off of her. Her family's love was so strong, it could affect any one.

After a few moments, Aubren spoke up again.
"They'd love you. My family is really opened, they'll take in anyone I'm friends with. My grandfather would like you a lot too, he'd probably try to get you to go on adventures in the woods with him to cut down trees for a Christmas tree."
She laughed to herself, the tree statement was clearly something she knew well of. Everything Aubren said was true, if Aubren was to send a letter saying she was bringing a friend to stay over for Christmas, they'd be over joyed. She could imagine Max fitting right in, she couldn't see why he wouldn't. Aubren could picture her grandfather telling Max how much of a man he was going to be, and how he would look better with a beard like his (although, her grandfather's beard was as bushy as a forest bush, he tends to show it off a lot.)

~A.A, Gryffindor

Max wasn't sure what he'd been expecting her to say. He knew that her family likely wasn't terrible from her attitude - and willingness to talk about her grandfather - but he wasn't quite prepared for the outpouring of warmth. She seemed happy and lost in fond memories, like she'd had a wonderful childhood full of affection. He tried to smile as she went on to speak about her Christmas traditions, but it was nearly impossible to picture something like that happening in real life.

"They sound wonderful," he said quietly, trying not to stare uncertainly. Her grandfather would like him just because she was his friend? He wasn't sure that was something he'd ever heard of an adult doing before. Maybe his aunt would be like that, but he wasn't sure enough to say aloud that his family would love Aubren too.

She was pure-blood, but for them to like her she'd need to be ambitious. And know the right things to say at the dinner table. And be able to lie, and be able to be unfriendly towards those of a lower class, and - Well, they had much higher standards than her being a friend of his. He wouldn't dare ask to bring her over to meet them at Christmas, not during his first year.

The sound of tearing paper startled him out of his thoughts and he realized he'd torn the page in the book his hand was resting on, crumpled it into a slight ball in his fist. He let out a small curse as he started smoothing it back into place, avoiding Aubren's eyes and feeling like a bit of a rift had somehow opened between them. He liked her and enjoyed being her friend more than anything, but he didn't think he could ever fully understand the kind of warmth she showed without hesitation. It just... wasn't something he'd ever been exposed to.

"I'd love to meet them someday, your grandfather especially - he sounds really cool - but I don't think my mother would approve just yet. She can be... protective." In other words, he wasn't allowed near the homes of any other wizard family until they'd been thoroughly vetted by her first. "Maybe in the future, though. It sounds really, really lovely."

M. Avery

Aubren looked startled, she looked from the crumbled page, to Max, then the crumbled page again. She blinked a few times before looking down at her own book, millions of questions rushing through her mind. Was it something she said? Did she make him angry? She tried to push these thoughts away by grabbing onto another book, opening it to the middle and looking at whatever was infront of her.

She was glad Max spoke, he didn't sound mad towards her at all, which was a relief. Aubren nodded at what she said, understanding that Max's family life was different from hers, then again, she didn't know much about Max's family than he did with her own, his family could be nuts for all she knew. Yet she didn't let that be her answer, Aubren had a habit of trying to avoid all of the negatives of things.

"Yeah, it'll be fun." She said, flipping through to the next page. There was a silence between them before Aubren spoke up again, a nervous feeling in the back of her mind for the question she was about to ask, and for some reason, Aubren had no idea why the feeling was even there. She figured she was just nervous of screwing up, that's all.

"What's your family like?" Aubren said quietly, flipping through some more pages before stopping at a certain chapter. She placed her hand over the page to mark her place and looked at him, not knowing what to expect from his answer.

~A.A, Gryffindor

Max had thought the silence would be the end of it, and he'd nearly relaxed when she'd asked the question he'd been dreading. To be fair, it wasn't like it was unprovoked - he should've expected it after asking about her family. But there was something about going in completely unprepared that gave him pause. He'd heard of her family, but his parents had never spoken about the Ansons the way they'd spoken about some of the other pure-blood families. No 'their views are ideal' or 'we should look into extending an invitation to them.'

It's because they were nice, probably. His family would consider anyone overly kind to be weak, regardless of their views. He was getting more and more nervous now, though, because what if that wasn't all? What if it was something else? He knew he had been quiet for too long, but it kind of felt like his voice was stuck somewhere in his chest.

"They're Averys," he forced out, smoothing out the page rougher than necessary. Unfortunately, he was so rough that he tore it in two trying to smooth it with both hands, the words seeming to blur like his palms had been sweating when he'd done it. If he talked about them, it would bring them into the library. Maybe not physically, but they'd be with him in spirit, and for some reason that was a side of himself he really didn't want Aubren to see. What if those warm eyes suddenly looked at him with disappointment? Or hurt? Or hatred? The last thought made him blanch.

He slammed the book shut, staring at the cover for a second. He had to say something. When he turned to Aubren, it was with his polite, dinner-party smile. "Mother is a wonderful woman; she's so giving and kind. She bakes the best cookies, and she'd do anything to protect her family." He knew the memorized speech sounded too wrong - too formal - but anything else would trip him up. "And Father... what a man. He knows so many spells. My grandparents are also so wonderful. Everyone is. It's an honour to be a part of the Avery and Rosewood lineage."

M. Avery

Aubren blinked at Max. The sudden change in his attitude-his smile and ripping of paper- made her completely and even more confused, a bit scared even. She didn't do a great job hiding it, for her eyes shown the sudden fear inside her, but it was clear she wasn't going to let it out. His family were Avery's, but Aubren had never heard of the family, not from anyone she knew anyway. The way Max acted had instantly caught her attention, she wasn't an idiot after all. She saw right through his formal speech, it was clear she did, she glanced down at the book's ruined pages a few times.

She didn't admit to any of these things. Instead, she went along, nodding at what he said as she slowly looked down at her book again.
"They sound wonderful." Aubren said quietly. Mentally, she vowed to find out what why he snapped into a completely different attitude, or why he forced out the fact that he was an Avery. Was he hiding something from her? If so, why? To protect her? Or trick her?

Aubren shuddered at the thought of Max tricking her into a trap she had blindly walked into. She didn't believe it, but the small, small fear still nagged at her. She didn't ponder on a certain thought, a thought that remained in the back of her mind...but the thought killed her to think of it. He wouldn't lie, would he? She hated herself for thinking he would, something she couldn't imagine him doing by this point; then again, her father told her to watch out for people that do those things. Aubren decided that if Max was lying, he would be doing it to shield her from something. She left it at that, and continued to scan the page that she had to reread many times over from getting distracted.

~A.A, Gryffindor

Max's lips parted silently as he saw the fear on Aubren's face and a wash of shame made his ears burn. Fear. That was the other thing he'd left out that he didn't want her to look at him with - fear. He wanted to say he'd never hurt one of his friends, but it would sound too much like he was trying to convince himself. His mind involuntarily flashed back to when he'd beaten the crap out of some Hufflepuff for no good reason. Not a friend, but what would Aubren think if she knew about that?

"Trolls don't sound like they'd be all that difficult to defeat, do they?" he finally asked, bringing the book up to his nose and inhaling that old-book scent. It helped calm him down, despite the fact that Aubren had seemed nervous. What exactly did she think he was going to do? This was why he hadn't wanted to speak about his family in the first place. Nice people didn't want to be friends with Averys. "I mean, not physically defeat but more trick. They're not too bright."

He set the book he'd ripped aside as gently as he could, picking another one and pulling it close to pretend to study. Really, he was studying Aubren out of the corner of his eye. He wished there was a spell to show what she was thinking in that moment, because he would've given nearly anything to know. Did she know who the Averys were? Did she think his friendliness was put-on now because of that? He wished he could take back the fake smile and faker words because he didn't care for the tension in the air. At the same time, however, he was glad he hadn't told her the truth. My parents refer to muggles and mudbloods as things instead of humans. Yeah, that'd go over well.

"I still can't believe Ron Weasley beat one by dropping a club on its head," Max murmured with a low wolf-whistle, trying to get the atmosphere to return to how relaxed it had been before. "What a legend."

M. Avery
  Back