Hogwarts Express

Register
Sign in
  Back

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@William Dubois

Elzabeth was happy she had someone to sit with, that had been one of her main concerns she had fretted over on the way here.

The halls were stuffed with people but Elzabeth tried her hardest not to bump into someone and spill all of her things again. Most of the compartments were already getting filled up with people but as she walked towards the back of the train, the emptier it seemed to get.

Finally, she stumbled upon an empty one. "Here, finally." She huffed, making her way inside. You could hear the chatter of other students from the hallway but it was quaint and just enough space for her and William to sit on opposite sides and still have room for two more people.

"What do you think?" Elzabeth directed the question towards William, looking back to gauge his reaction on all of this. Something told Elzabeth he probably wasn't a fan of public transportation and this wasn't too far off from it, although it was way more sanitary than your usual train.

Elzabeth looked back down just so she could see in her bag, which she was going through to try and find her snacks, her mom had packed her favorite for the ride there and she was already starting to get hungry.

Brownies, just the thought of the chocolaty goodness was making her mouth water in anticipation.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

Bodies were pressing on his sides as he looked for some place to sit. With preferably less noise than the wagon they were currently in. Elzabeth was before him as he tried to follow her up the train, but everyone and everything seemed to get in his way. He hated it. Public transportation were decidedly the worst. No place to move and carry your trunk easily, it was a nightmare. Next year, William would get on the train quickly.

The more they looked, the less people there were. Finally, after walking through what seemed like the entire train, they found an empty compartment. William plopped down on one of the seat, leaving just enough place for someone else. Chit-chat could still be heard, but it was nothing on what they has to go through on their way there. He released a breath he didn't remember holding and finally relaxed. William's friend then broke the silence.

- What do you think ?

-Well, making our way here was positively awful. Are all public transportations as crowded as here? Or are just magical trains that way? And why would students even need to take the train? Can't they just apparate us to Hogwarts? But enough on that. Please,tell me everything you know about magic.

William couldn't wait to learn more about this new world he'd been thrown in. This train ride, despite the awful crowd it brought, was the perfect opportunity to do so.

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@William Dubois

Elzabeth held back a laugh as she listened to Williams response, not wanting to seem rude. Her assumptions were right though, he wasn't the person who usually took such crowded ways of transportation by the sounds of it. "Well, let's just start off with what you do know." She tucked her legs underneath her, getting comfortable for the long train ride ahead of them.

"The Wizarding world is so large I couldn't possibly explain it to you in one sitting, most of the stuff I don't even know." Elzabeth had been shielded most of her life from the magic side of the world out of her mother's concern.

Elzabeth knew the decision was made out of love but she couldn't help being a little upset, she was probably the only half-blood in Hogwarts that seemed to be as clueless as she and Elzabeth couldn't stand that thought. She hated not knowing things which were probably why she got so worked up even thinking about it.

"You should have taken a trip to Diagonally for all your school supplies, I take it you learned at least a little bit there?" Elzabeth thought out loud, twisting a strand of hair between her fingers.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

As she talked, William relaxed slightly. She seemed to know if the train ride was longer than he expected. The young boy let a small smile back on his face, at ease more than he'd ever been in somebody's presence. Elzabeth didn't ooze that high business man air his parents had or the air of knowledge beyond his years his nanny had. He still didn't loose his almost uptight attitude, old habits die hard, and he quite like it that way. Morons were so easy to attract if you can't hold yourself. But Elzabeth looked like quite good company and she was proving herself so to him the more she talked.

He had been to Diagon Alley. He had to have bought his supply somehow. She wasn't wrong he had learned a little bit about the wizards on that trip. Goblins were fascinating and the currency was no short of completely insane. Easy mathematics were not something wizards were knowledgeable it would seem. All sorts of crazy pets were on display and the wandmaker was creeping him not. Not that he'd shown it.

- I did learn bits and parts, but almost nothing about Hogwarts itself. There were whispers running rampant. They're never quite easy to decipher.

He waved a hand almost to dismissed the whole whisper thing before continuing.

- I did learn there were four houses, didn't catch their names though. And that there are seven years, if I'm not wrong, with two major exam years. Also, what is it with the weird economics, 17 sickles for a galleon, 29 knuts in a sickle and then you multiply them to have the knuts in a galleon. Even algebra doesn't look that hard!

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@@William Dubois

Elzabeth nodded along, smiling at Williams frustrations sympathetically. "Well, you're right about the Wizard currency, it's a bit odd that for sure. And we do get sorted into four houses, Ravenclaw, Griffindor, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin."

"Each of the houses has some main qualities like a Hufflepuff is loyal, hard-working, and honest. A Ravenclaw is creative, has wit, and is curious. Gryffindors are daring, brave, and confident." Elzabeth waved her hand, trying to get through the more boring explanations. "And a Slytherin is more cunning, determined, and ambitious."

Elzabeth took a breath, looking to William to make sure she hadn't lost him. There had to be a better way to explain this, someway it didn't sound so weird.

"Each house has a bit of a reputation. Gryffindors are usually the most favored house since the whole Harry Potter thing, Ravenclaws are supposed to be snobs but I don't think that's very accurate considering my father was from that house and he's the farthest thing from a stuck up twig." Elzabeth frowned, looking at her shoes.

"Huffelpuffs are supposedly gullible and stupid, and Slytherins are rude and care only about their bloodline. But don't believe in any of that, those stereotypes are far from true in most cases. At least I've been told." Elzabeth knew she hadn't gotten to see the houses in person yet but these were all things she had either heard around or her father had told her.

She was sure there was no way thousands of people could all fit into four stereotypes, that just wasn't the way the world worked. "It's a bit silly but it's worked for so long now changing it would be like a crime on history." Elzabeth joked, looking back up at him.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@Elzabeth Gillan
All those maths were so frustrating. It was definitely one of the worst thing to come out of the wizarding world. As his companion went on about the houses, William stopped his little tantrum and listened closely. Knowledge was power after all.

For all their good traits, how come they could have so many bad reputation? No house seemed to appeal to him. He was not daring nor brave and while he liked learning he didn't completely identify himself with it. While Hufflepuff seemed like a good house, he didn't quite fit in he guessed. He was ambitious sure, but maybe not enough to make it his defining trait. And all those reputation put a damper on his thinking. He didn't know much about society. They seemed like bad stereotypes. William understood tradition, but to target a special group? He didn't wait long to voice his opinions. "Maybe it's always been that way, but it's hurtful to call someone stupid because of a house. Or stuck-up for that matter. Everyone is a little bit stupid in my opinion and being rude only pull you down when reaching for something. If Slytherin is known for being ambitious, it's kind of not productive."

Saying that, William remembered the only thing he hadn't quite caught in all her speech. " What are those bloodlines you're talking about? And why are they so important to Slytherins?

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@William Dubois

Elzabeth shared his distaste for the rumors, she didn't think it was fair to stereotype so many people she hasn't even met yet.

"Bloodlines? Well, it's basically about your parents. My dad was a wizard and my mom was a muggle so I'm a half-blood. If both of my parents were wizards than I would be a pureblood. If neither of my parents was magic, I would be a muggle-born." Elzabeth shrugged.

It didn't even cross her mind that something like that would be so important until her father warned her about it, it just seemed like a stupid thing to care about.

"It used to mean a whole lot back when my dad was in school but things have sort of calmed down since." Elzabeth was referring to the fall of Voldemort, a story her dad had told her before she got to Hogwarts.

"The founder of Slytherin really liked students who were purebloods, so it sort of became a bragging thing for them. Most pureblood families have incest somewhere down the line though, it just goes to show the amount of effort they put into keeping their pure bloodline."

Elzabeths face turned into a grimace, there was no way she could even imagine getting with her cousin. Ew.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

If these rumors were true, it also ruled out Slytherin from his potential house. Putting him somewhere around nowhere in hogwarts. He defated a little bit. The young boy was a muggleborn, none of his parents seemed even remotely belong in this fantasy world. He felt like an outsider, not in the slightest knowing of the twists and turns of living among peers his age. Now, William couldn't even idealize were he would belong. He huffed before adding his own two cents. "Incest was not so unlikely in old aristocratic family not long ago too. Still as gross, but if they are this backward on new technology and such, it's understandable.

William didn't approve of it, not at all. He just stated the facts he had, long ago, came to term with through his history lessons. The grimace Elzabeth wore after mentioning it talked all about her knowledge on that matter. Hoping to lighten the mood, the young boy let a pensive smile slip on and added, "In fact, I think my own family has had incest down the line. Can't exactly remember when though? Anyway, can you tell me about the subjects in a magic school?

He tried to keep his facade as serious as possible, waiting for a reaction, but he couldn't help it. William bursted out laughing. He still waited for an answer, but his laugh seemed to echo through the compartment.

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@William Dubois
"In fact, I think my own family has had incest down the line. Can't exactly remember when though? Anyway, can you tell me about the subjects in a magic school?
Elzabeth's mouth fell open in shock, believing it for a split second before Willam busted out laughing.

"Really?" Elzabeth started to laugh with him. His laugh was nice, something Elzabeth wanted to make sure she heard from him more often.

"Well, odds are there's a little incest in every family I suppose." She giggled, tilting her head down to try and calm herself. Her hair fell over her shoulders and into her face again, annoying her slightly.

There were times she just wanted to chop it all off and other times she thought she would keep it this long forever. The only reason she didn't was that her mother loved her hair so much. She found it odd that her mom cared about Elzabeths hair but it wasn't worth getting in a fight over.

"You wanted to know about the classes?" Elzabeth asked after the laughter died down a little. Elzabeth wasn't completely sure but she had a vague idea what classes they would be taking this year.

"I think we have a potions class, a class that teaches us to turn one thing into another, and some sort of gardening class? I don't know, I could be completely wrong." Elzabeth shrugged.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

As his laugh died down, the girl in front of him looked suddenly angry with her hair. He snorted before finally calming down.

Each class she mentioned seemed interesting enough except gardening. He had not one good experience with plants. How their first gardener had killed even the parasytes from the garden was beyond his mind. They hadn't had a luxurious garden for as long as he remembered. He snorted again. " They all look like fun. Except that gardening class, I don't think I can grow plants or take care of one."

He looked around a little bit, gazing at his feet and passing a hand through his short hair. She didn't sound much more knowledgeable than him about Hogwarts, but he shrugged it off. He would learn about it in time. William got up and took some snacks from his bags. A bag of nuts and a temperate juice were laid beside him before he picked out the conversation again. "Well, enough about Hogwarts. You're no more knowledgeable of it than I am and I do not want false information so... " He trailed of not really knowing where to go from there. How did people came to talk about their interests? Did they just said it? He hoped so before finally finishing his sentence. "I... I like to watch figure skating."

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

Elzabeth raised her eyebrows at his confession, she knew what figure skating was but she’s never really watched it.

“Really? I guess I've never really paid attention to it.” She thought back to the ice skaters she saw when she was little, it bored six-year-old her so she never really wanted to watch it again.

“Why? If you don’t mind me asking.” She was a little confused as to if it were genuinely entertaining to him or just something he watched to relax. Something about dancing on the ice got a lot of other people excited so it was possible.

“Do you watch the Olympics then?” She thought back to the times her parents would watch it, none of them really had extensive knowledge in the sports on the TV but they watched it anyways. It was one of the things she would glance at every once in a while before going back to her game on her mom's phone or the book she was reading.

Realizing she had basically asked him two questions without giving him the time to answer, she closed her mouth. She had a bad habit of asking a lot without giving them time to get the answers

Reducio
OOC: I'm so sorry it took me so long, I got so busy irl I didn't have time to get to this.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@Elzabeth Gillan
William got a little bit stumped by the question. His parents had just rolled with it and his nanny was an avid ex figure skater, so his near obsession with it the moment the world championship got around had never really been questioned. The young boy was just glad Elzabeth knew about the sport.

When she asked the second question, he was immediately thrown back to some of the breath-taking performances he'd had the luck to be explained to by his nanny while watching the Olympics. This was the moment he decided to follow the sports and his favorites skaters.

"Well first off, I like to watch it because it is a truly magnificent sport. Figure skaters seem to float on the ice, it's really hypnotic. I have watched it for as long as I remember too. " He thought about one he had watch recently. She'd done her program flawlessly and the grin on her face had even pulled one out of William. She had then fallen because she was too excited.

He huffed silently before continuing. " And yes, I do watch the Olympics. Most of my favorite skaters perform there, but I also watch most international and national competitions." He let himself ponder about it a little bit. How many would he miss? It didn't really matter for the moment, he'd find a way to watch them. Maybe ask his nanny to save them. " What do you like? Anything as special as figure skating? He finished with a raised eyebrow and a gap toothed smirk
Reducio
OOC: It's ok, take your time.

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

Elizabeth made a mental note to check out the sport when she got home for Christmas, She knew she could probably find a few videos on YouTube or something.
What do you like? Anything as special as figure skating?
Elzabeth let out a soft laugh. "I don't know, I'm a boring person." She thought back to all the things she would do for fun when she was at home, but none of it seemed as special as Figure Skating. She tried baking and drawing but neither was really fun for her, in the end, she would get frustrated with herself and wouldn't continue.

"I like to read, but so does most people." Elzabeth felt sort of embarrassed, she never really got to travel unless going to the town over to her Grandmas counted, and there wasn't much other than reading and TV that entertained her.

"I want to travel though, out of England and to Italy or something!" Elzabeth smiled. She was always fascinated with the other parts of the world and often begged her parents to go somewhere for a summer trip but they always told her no. The reasons would change from time to time, but it was either they didn't have time or they didn't have money.

E. Gillan

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

"Aren't we already in England?", he asked both confused and teasing.

William understood why she would like to travel though. Other countries were beautiful and full of profitabe things. The young boy had travel. Not a lot, but he'd went with his dad to America on some business trips and he had lived a little while in France. Elzabeth seemed to brighten up too after mentioning traveling.

William just didn't understood why reading made her a boring person. If anything, it made her even more interesting. Knowledge was power and reading brought knowledge. He took a peek through the window, watching the hills roll by as they got closer to their destination. He plunged right into her emerald eyes before speaking up,"You're not as boring as you think. I would've walk right out of here if you were. I try not to associate with boring people. And you know, traveling is fun. I only traveled to the United States with my father, but I would like to go someplace else. Though New York was something to see. Wall Street was bustling with people and..."

He stopped right there, too afraid to ramble on about something he knew others found boring. He just went back to when he had literally bored his nanny to sleep. "Anyway, anything you would absolutely go see?"

A New Buddy  PV   Closed 

@William Dubois

Elzabeth had always wanted to see New York, it was one of the many places on her list. Once he started to talk about it she leaned forwards, wanting to hear more about his adventures in the bustling city.

It disappointed her once he stopped himself but she remained interested, thinking his question over. "Absolutely?" She muttered, running her finger over her bottom lip. She loved mythology of all types so places like Roam and Greece were a good choice although she's always wanted to see the states.

"I think I would want to try and see the roman cathedral first, it just seems so interesting. The amount of history the place holds blows my mind sometimes. But if not there then probably somewhere gorgeous like Thailand." Elzabeth thought about all of the pictures she had seen with the misty mountain tops and untouched forests.

"But I know I probably won't get to see most of that." Elzabeth let out a sad sigh. "I would need money to travel and that means a job. If I could spend my life away from office jobs and cubicles I would be happy." Just the thought of wasting so much time on something so boring made Elzabeth shudder.

"Sorry, got a little off-topic there. What about you? Any places you want to see?" She asked, watching him as he looked out of the window at the moving scenery.

The Scotland hills were gorgeous and she would have been admiring them just like William if she hadn't gotten so caught up in the idea of traveling. Ever since she was little and her parents had taken her out on a trip to her grandmas, she's always looked out of the windows.

E. Gillan
  Back