Clans and Clubs

Register
Sign in

OOC  World Cultures Club Planning/Discussion

WORLD CULTURES CLUB

------

Hello again everyone, and welcome to the Unspecified Classroom on the Fifth Floor!
If you're new here, please find your way over to the sign-up thread!

Meetings:
My intention for this club is to hold meetings. Each meeting will be confined to its own thread for the sake of preventing a seemingly endless and confusing thread, and will be closed once the meeting is complete (or goes inactive for too long).

For simplicity's sake, if someone wants to do a full presentation, it may be best for it to do one per meeting, but I'd prefer to see what everyone else thinks before nailing that down.

Chain of Command:
As for the chain of command, I figure we'll probably want at least a President, Vice President, and Secretary. As the founder of the club, I'd be perfectly fine with being the President, but if someone else feels their character would make a go for it, that's fine as well, and I can simply moderate from the background OOCly. If we have numerous people wanting the same position, it will likely come to a vote, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Also, if anyone thinks we need some other leadership position, feel free to bring it up.

OOCly if anyone wishes to assist me as well, I certainly won't say no!

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, feel free to ask questions, request a day to present something, etc!
Last edited by Masika Morales on 1st September 2018, 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

دوام الحال من المحال. (dawaam il-Haal min il-muHaal.) — Egyptian Arabic Proverb
Continuing the same state is impossible. (Nothing stays the same.)
Strength: 2 | Agility: 12 | Control: 11 | Stamina: 5

SCHEDULE

This will be where the schedule for meetings is posted once we have one! A list of previous meeting dates with links to their threads will also be put here.
Last edited by Masika Morales on 1st September 2018, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chain of Command IC

President

Vice President

TBD

Secretary

TBD

OOC Helpers

Last edited by Masika Morales on 1st September 2018, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meeting Summaries

This will be where short summaries of each meeting are posted so that new members can get the gist of what they've missed before joining without going through the insanity that reading long/multiple threads can be.

Hello there, everybody!
Now, I had some suggestions for activities. They might not be too good, but I want to just put them out.
So here we go:

- Costume Trying-On: We can wear and/or bring our national clothes. We can discuss about it, and what kind of clothing is looked down upon in our culture and what is good and respectable.

- History Discussing: We can talk about historic games, crafts and food. We can even play some cool historic games!

- Arts & Crafts: We can teach each other how to make different cultural arts to each other. We can do a make and take art swap too.

- Sing Alongs!: We can learn each other's national anthems with meaning and do a sing along.

- Funny Idioms: Funny idioms and saying in our languages can be a great talking starter.

- Storytelling: We can tell each other how we learned different cultures' stuff and how the experience was for us.

- Cook & Bake: We all can do a one-dish party where we make something that's popular in our country.

That's all I could think of. Do tell me if they're good or not!

"When I die, I want free Wi-Fi fitted inside my tombstone, just so people will visit more often."

Most of Dot Dutt’s ideas are Creative^ but some of our members are purely English without any other heritages so they wouldn’t have a specific tradition or culture to share... unless there is like an English Culture... drinking tea and all?

Can I suggest just a starter meeting where we come together, dressed in our own traditional wear (if we have any), to get to know each other better as well as bring a few (traditional) snacks and food or books and games.

((Ali/CC here! take your pick what to call me. I'm pretty good with cultures, both modern and ancient, if you want any ideas or help.))
Rekka is both Japanese and Bhuddist. While she is pretty uncomfortable talking about it, I bet I could find a way to push her into it.
Also, ideas!
  • Cultural food! maybe we could show each other some traditional dishes?
  • Basic phrases. Ohaio! Good Morning! So iu mono? Things like that?
  • (This is specific to her mother but the town where Rekka's mother is from is pretty big on sumo. I say we engorgio a couple of students and let them have at it.)
  • For cultural religions, maybe showing them a guided prayer? Bhuddism and Hindu are both big on meditation.
  • Candy from the culture? Japanese candy is really, really good!

I totally love CC's ideas. Especially the 'basic phrases' one. Dot can teach you guys some Urdu!
And the candy from culture and religion ones are pretty good as well. Dot's a Muslim, and she'd love to let all know the difference between 'islam' and 'terrorism'.
I think we should totally go with these.

Aaaand, a question: When are we actually going to do stuff? Like, the first meet-up thread?

"When I die, I want free Wi-Fi fitted inside my tombstone, just so people will visit more often."

I think CC's basic phrase idea is great. I also really like Dot's cooking/Baking idea, because every country has some sort of food.

I'm not very good on thinking of ideas but perhaps we could have a small jar with country names in it to all pick one country and then bring some sort of food, or research on that country that way we don't get our own country (most likely) but we don't have repeats as well. I hope that makes sense.

I'd be willing to help out the club in some way. I know a ton on different cultures and languages.
Last edited by Lucien Escanora on 5th September 2018, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My eyes aren't both blue. One is green. One is blue.
~
My theory. Music can fix anything. Anything.

I actually really like these ideas. The basic phrases one is great and I like the idea of being able to explore differences in culture through costume and food. I think it also might be beneficial to add some things about etiquette for whatever region or culture we are discussing. What's proper in one place isn't always proper in another. Food for thought. Also, I don't mind applying for an officer's position as I am usually available online most days.

It is our choices that show us what we truly are far more than our abilities.

So! Just to get it out of the way, part of the reason I sent out the mail with a reminder to sub to the topics is because I realized that in a hilariously embarrassing turn of events I apparently never subbed to my own thread!

Your fearless leader is clearly amazing in case that wasn't already obvious! :sweatingbullets:

So that aside, I like a lot of the ideas I'm seeing, and the drawing of random countries/religions/etc is probably prudent given not all of the characters are from outside of the UK. My thought is that if wedo decide on drawings that if someone happens to be from a country someone else draws that they make themselves available as a first-person resource for the other person.
Ex: Sariel draws Spain, so she might meet up somewhere with Masika to discuss the project and she could pick Masika's brain without Masika doing the project for her. Maybe give her pointers on where to start etc.
Outside of this, I will get to work starting a thread for meeting one and post the link for it here. It will essentially be a meet and greet, and opportunity for anyone interested in being an officer to throw their name in the hat.

I'd be interested in being an officer. It would give me something to do since 99% of the time I'm bored, plus it's kinda productive and fun!

My eyes aren't both blue. One is green. One is blue.
~
My theory. Music can fix anything. Anything.

First meeting thread is up!

Hey peeps, now that it looks like everyone who is already in the meeting has responded in the meeting thread, I wanted to check and make sure that everyone has come to the meeting that plans to come.

I will give it another couple of days before I post again to get things moving along if no one else posts or says they want to enter the meeting.

Cheers!
— Masika