Corridors

Register
Sign in

Some Friendly Competition  PV Anatole   Finished 

Adam was having a bad day. Later, he would reflect on this afternoon and be surprised -- he hadn't thought that bad days could happen around the castle. He also hadn't realized that he had been so overtaken in the exhilaration of this experience that he had forgotten a basic law of the universe: what comes up, must fall back down. Today, Adam was caught in the fall.

Striding through the corridors purposefully, he kept his head down and growled to himself as he ventured back to the Ravenclaw Common Room. It was all his brother's fault. His perfect, popular, deceitful, arrogant, uncaring older brother. Well, Dean could quite frankly go to hell. And take the rest of his stupid House with him. What was so great about Gryffindor anyway? Always stumbling into things without a thought. Adam was surprised that more of them hadn't gotten hurt.

Brushing forcefully by another boy going in the opposite direction, Adam's shoulder collided with his and Adam stumbled a step. Slowing down just enough to look over the new student, he caught sight of a a gold-and-red-striped tie and rolled his eyes. The universe had to be kidding. Turning away, determined to find solace in the Common Room once again, he muttered, "Watch it, Braveheart."

He didn't care what the boy said in return. Adam was done with trying to keep his mind open and eager. If the boy wanted a fight, then he could get one.

On second thought, he hoped it wouldn't come to that.
Last edited by Adam Harringtom on 11th April 2018, 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam Harringtom
STR: 10 AGI: 5 CTRL: 8 STA: 12

Anatole was frantic. It had been quite a long day of thinking too hard and occasionally arguing. To say the least, not much could bring down his mood lower than it already was.

First off, having an argument earlier with a few girls made him feel almost lost, maybe like he didn't belong. Certainly, he hated this strange new world...at the moment, however.

His face as red as his tie, he walked with haste down the Corridors. Not knowing his way around much, all he wanted was a place where he could find peace, and quite possibly, some respite.

Anatole's eyes were fixed on the wood in front of him as his pace hastened to a slight jog. His eyes whizzed past more halls and curious doors he would have more time to explore and delve into later, but as for now--

---he hit a roadblock. Shoulder-to-shoulder, he collided harshly with another student, almost tripping again. God, I'm excellent at messing up, he thought to himself, hitting the wall slightly, looking back and taking in who he had just hit (even though he could only see the back of his head by now).

The comment seemed to call back to him, almost picking him up off of the wall towards him.

To be frank, Anatole was tired of apologizing. The last time he did, he got put down and antagonized. He took a breath, smirking and dashing after the boy. "You know what?" He asked, not controlling his words again. Anatole's face kept growing red. "I'm not saying sorry, because I was completely aware of my surroundings."

Look there. Another complete lie.

The young Gryffindor had no idea what he was getting into.

"Dancing with fine women and ruling equally fine castles."
The Lord of Advanced Summoning, Anatole Evans
STA:14 AGI:7 STR:4 CTRL:5

Adam stopped short and listened with an amused smile as the other boy jogged back in front of him and stood his ground. Of course he would -- why else would he be in Gryffindor? When the boy seemed finished, Adam responded, "Oh, you were, were you?" Looking the new boy up and down, he took in his flushed face and tense attitude. He thought he may have seen this boy around the castle a few times before. What was his name again.....Andrew? Anthony? Anatole. That was it. From what Adam observed, Anatole might be having an even worse day than Adam was. Maybe if he was in a better mood he would've cared a bit more.

Rolling his eyes, Adam met Anatole's defiant stare with his own and sighed. "Listen, I just want to get to a quiet place, okay? So unless you've got any suggestions..." He doubted Gryffindor House ever needed a place to calm down. They had sleep for that, didn't they? Otherwise they were just too busy slaying dragons or winning at sports or whatever the heck else they did in their spare time. Adam knew he shouldn't be letting his anger get the best of him and making him lash out like this. It was all his stupid brother's fault. Him and his entire stupid House. Gritting his teeth and trying not to say anything he'd regret, Adam checked himself and coolly finished, "Well, what about it, Gryff? Found the best places in the castle yet?"

Adam Harringtom

Anatole kept speaking in a relatively firm tone. "Yes, yes I was observing my surroundings, in case you were curious, Claw." He kept his eyes shut, trying to let himself go with it. Yes, it was being quite bold indeed, and yes, standing up to people brought him confidence, but he still wasn't satisfied.

Anatole had never seen this boy in his life. Yes, he looked alright, and yes, he had no reason to be in Anatole's business, but Anatole's gut told him to fight it out this way.

He looked into the boy's eyes. "Look, I've never seen you before. I have no idea where you come from or even what your name is, but it was kind of a bad move to call me out like that."

Anatole took another breath, listening to the boy's words. "I gotta' admit, you do look like the kind of guy who would meditate much just to stay complete and utterly sane, and I understand that." Anatole sighed, not letting the boy have much time to speak before he spoke out once more."I...uh, I wouldn't say I have found the most relaxing place in school, however...beside my bed, si--"

He cut himself off and grew silent. Maybe the no politeness rule might just apply to all Ravenclaws. He couldn't take his chances.

Speaking of chances, that's almost what the Ravenclaw was asking him. Chances to find the best place in the castle. About that, he had no idea.

Trying not to come out shy, he remarked, "Why, no. I am sure I have not found the best place in the castle yet."

Then, Anatole glanced back at the boy, crossing his arms, trying to look intimidating. Maybe he had picked something up from Clary's sternness. "Doubt you have either."

This time, Adam couldn't help but laugh out loud. It wasn't a particularly mean laugh -- just surprised, and thoroughly entertained. Anatole didn't seem to know which direction he wanted to take; right when he came around to almost answering Adam's question, he seemed to change his mind and took on a defiant air again. Adam particularly liked one thing that Anatole had said in the middle there. What had it been? Oh, right. "...you do look like the kind of guy who would meditate much just to stay complete and utterly sane, and I understand that." It was gold. No matter how Adam felt about his House, he couldn't deny that Anatole had definitely gained his respect.

Now, the Gryffindor was crossing his arms and looking at Adam in challenge. He was right; Adam had yet to find the "best" place in Hogwarts, though he supposed it all depended on how each boy defined their best locations. Sensing a new competition, a new game, at hand, Adam couldn't resist taking the bait. Anatole might prove to be a good friend, and if not, he would certainly be a worthy rival. Taking a step back, Adam smiled and issued his own challenge. "Alright, say I haven't found this place yet. Since we're both so determined to be right -- at least, I assume you are -- this could be interesting. First person to find the best place wins?"

Adam Harringtom

Anatole took another breath, letting it out with a grin. It was yet another time he had become stressed and tripped over his words. It was common for him to have predetermined assumptions of people, and this time it seemed to barely slip out. Almost like thinking out loud. But thinking out loud in front of other people. Not the best idea.

Anatole's ears perked up when he heard the boy's final challenge. It was one he was just dying to take up. It would give him an excuse to explore this new and complex academy, with winding halls and plants that didn't exist and candles levitating by the ceiling and hats that could talk and instantly know about you and...

Oh, it just seemed perfect. Right up Anatole's alley. He was just about to set off running, sprinting down the hallway in search of something to find, a cool room, one of the coolest of them all.

In fact, for a moment he did turn away. Then, he turned back, realizing he hadn't said anything in response. "Huh?Oh yeah. Challenge." Anatole cracked his knuckles, twisting his head to get it warmed up. "Sounds good on my watch, but who'd be the judge of the 'best room'? Would it just be you walking into where I was and thinking 'Blimey, that's an amazing room' and surrendering?" He shrugged, chuckling slightly. "Also, give me a time. I'll hit it, right on. Tell me when we have to have our rooms decided."

"Someone's confident," Adam laughed. "This'll be fun." He realized that, if he was to start a competition, he really should be coming up with rules for it. Anatole was right. Let's see, he thought, trying not to keep his competitor waiting too long. After all, his family valued the importance of first impressions, and he wanted to make sure he was seen as a boy that could think quickly on his feet. I'll need a judge,
preferably an objective one, and I'll need to set a schedule, too.

"All right," Adam continued, still trying to come up with information on the fly, "here's how it'll work. We'll both get three chances to stun each other with our nominees. No off-limit areas, obviously, but other than that there are no boundaries -- indoor, outdoor, it doesn't matter. No help from any outsiders, though you don't seem like the type that would ask for help. Let's get our choices in by the end of the week, maybe? Unless that's not enough time for you, Evans. Sound good?"

Smiling confidently, Adam thought about what a great opportunity their contest would provide. He hadn't seen nearly as much of the castle as he wanted to in his first year, but it was looking like he would now. He wondered how much of Hogwarts remained hidden to even some of the other students, given that it was known to constantly change itself without warning. He realized that he still hadn't made plans for a judge -- but he had an idea. "Come on," he called to Anatole, walking away, "let's get ourselves a decision-maker."

Adam Harringtom

Anatole kept his head up as he stood side by side with the boy, who he didn't even know his name. Similar to him, he didn't want to come off as something he wasn't supposed to be, especially in the presence of a complete stranger. "Indeed. Love me some competition." His smirk remained unchanging. He was confident in his ability to explore (despite being occasionally afraid of the people he met where he explored).

Continuing to stroll down the corridor, Anatole politely listened to the blue-robed boy. "Choosing out of three it is. I already have some candidates in mind," Anatole remarked with a smile. "And a week sounds feasible. I have all the time that I need." Part of him was surprised that the boy knew his name. But how?

Dang, he must've actually payed attention during the ceremony. How exquisite.

Anatole refused to ask for the boy's name, since he might come off as weak and stupid. "Alright. Let's hunt down a willing contestant," he joked, accompanied by a chortle. It was certainly a fun time to act like someone Anatole was not (before he came here, however). He wasn't strong, he wasn't firm in his decisions, and obviously he didn't take up illogical challenges just at a word.

Well, this "character" certainly was bold.

A week later, Adam stood in the spot that he had first run into Anatole, leaning against the wall while he waited for the other boy to show up. He'd just barely scraped together three rooms to show off before the deadline, but he wasn't going to let his competitor know that. Letting his mind run away from him, Adam wondered what Anatole had come up with since he'd seen the other boy last. From his big talk at the start of the contest, Adam expected a lot. The Gryffindor was very confident in his own abilities, but it was yet to be seen if he could actually carry through. He certainly hoped so.

He watched the other Hogwarts students walk by, laughing and joking with each other. He'd fit in nicely here at the school, aside from the altercations he'd had with his initial friends. It amazed him to think about how much had happened in the seven days since he'd last been walking through this corridor. He'd met practically a dozen new people, gotten in a few fights, been in a snowball fight on the grounds -- add that to his already-set class schedule, and Adam's days were full.

Ah, there he was, the man of the hour. Adam saw Anatole round the corner and smiled. "Thought you weren't going to show!" he called, excited to finally reveal the places he'd discovered. "Shall we get this thing underway?"

Adam Harringtom

Anatole took a breath, peering in the bright reflection of a window. With a classy smirk, he adjusted his belongings: making sure his robe was no longer lopsided, his scarf with one end tossed behind his back, and his hair, well his hair shouldn't be in his face.

This was the moment. His first competition at the school was about to be completed.

Once the boy was satisfied, he bowed his head, trudging through the dimly lit corridors. Three Rooms...three rooms, that's all it is. Don't mess it up. He whispered the names to himself, extinguishing his curiosity about what his rival picked. Accidentally, he had spoiled Adam's reveal of the Trophy Room. Anatole was sure he hadn't mentioned to decorate it much; he probably didn't throw more streamers and elegance on it than the room already had. After all, they had departed from there just a few hours prior.

Unlike the first time, he maneuvered through the crowds without tripping, almost flawless. He was in a good mood, and nothing seemed to cease it.

He turned the corner, curious as to when he would find Adam in this maze of hallways. He flinched, spotting the blonde-haired Adam with an eager grin.

Frick, Anatole almost forgot. The image.

He cleared his throat, adjusting himself in front of the boy. "Of course I attended! How could I forget? It's all I've been up to, and I'm sure you know this, 'Appy'." A suprisingly comfortable smirk formed across his face at the mention of Kaegen's nickname. He was getting better at acting this way. "Take it away, villain, show me what you've got!" Anatole, fluidly moving, ushered Adam ahead in the corridors, to his own first location...nothing more than the Herbology Greenhouses.

Reducio
Temporarily moving to the thread "Herbology~After Hours". I have Sorrel's permission for both of us to join.