Corridors

Register
Sign in

A Clash in the Corridor  PV Rosie Parker   Finished 

Claryssa North's mind wandered in a thousand different directions as she passed through the Second Floor corridor, heading on her way to Muggle Studies. Although the hall wasn't completely empty, the location left an eerie feeling in the pit of her stomach. Everything was dimly lit, the only source of light being what filtered through the windows, alongside the soft orange hues illuminating from the ever-flickering torches that lined the walls. A few strange sets of knightly armor stood by, as well, and Clary couldn't keep her eyes from darting towards them nervously, mildly convinced that some magical spell would cause them to jump to life and attack her. It seemed amusing to Clary how only a little while ago, she would've tossed away the nonsensical thought as if it were nothing. How times have changed.

Clary's attention shifted to the large stone columns that lined the walls and served as the floor of the corridor. It was honestly quite strange that, despite the prestige of Hogwarts, on top of its overall aptitude for magic, the scenery still remained that of an old Scottish castle, occasionally chipped/cracked stone blocks and all. She allowed herself a slight smile at the thought, finding comfort in the mundane, no matter how slight of a detail it may have been. In fact, Clary's deep focus on the surroundings had gone into so much depth, that she failed to notice the knightly statue right in front of her!

Before she could stop herself, the tip of Clary's shoe scuffed against the bottom edge of the display, knocking her off her balance. She tumbled forwards, arms splayed out in front of her to catch herself, and accidentally caught the knightly statue, who did not prove to be of much assistance. Instead of halting her fall (which she, of course, blamed on gravity), the statue came down with her, resulting in a loud clatter as pieces of metal armor went rolling across the hall. She knew she'd probably receive a few curious glances from the sparse number of students in the corridor, at the sight of the young Ravenclaw girl on the ground, surrounded by random pieces of knightly armor. The only good luck she'd had throughout this whole experience was that she'd managed to keep her notes in her messenger back, randomly undamaged, and better yet, not fluttering into a giant mess across the entire hall.
Last edited by Bloom Silverton on 26th March 2018, 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Updated title up to code.

Claryssa North, Ravenclaw First Year ~ memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1506

Rosie was wandering down the corridor, just minding her own business, when she heard a huge crash from somewhere. Curious, she raced towards the noise, not realizing her shoe wasn't tied as she tripped over it and yelped. Tumbling down the cold floor. She whined and pushed herself up, rubbing her head. "Anyways," she muttered.

As she continued walking down the hall to investigate, she thought about her day. It had been... Not bad, she thought. It had been a wild day, that was for sure. It went by like a blur, and now she lived in a huge castle that basically changed by itself.

Finally, Rosie turned the corner and spotted the blonde girl covered in armor pieces. She squinted. Unfamiliar. She gasped when she saw she was still on the ground, racing over. "Hold on, I'll help you get these off!" Rosie called, taking the pieces off one by one. "I don't know how you managed,you must be as clumsy as me." She chuckled nervously. Rosie looked down at the girl, grinning wide. She thought she was pretty. Pretty attractive? Pretty dumb? Both. But Rosie was 11, and didn't know the concept of attraction. So we'll go with pretty dumb until she ages up a few years.

Clary smiled sheepishly, accepting the girl's offer of help. Technically... Okay, there was no technicality. Clary was a complete and utter clutz, but she really wasn't normally as stupid as she probably seemed in that moment. Realizing reputation was the last thing she should be thinking about, Claryssa pulled herself up into a standing position, brushing the invisible dust off of her robes, and nodded her head in thanks to the Hufflepuff First Year.

"Sorry about that... I can be a bit of a clutz sometimes," she stated the obvious, her eyes wandering the space at an awkward lull in the conversation. Shaking her head to herself in a private moment of what the heck am I doing?, she bought herself a moment of recover by bending down to collect the mishappen pieces of armor, positioning it on the ground in the manner by which she assumed it hung. The shin piece would go on the lef- no! That was the right one. She smiled at the puzzle, appreciative of the momentary distraction, and turned to glance up at the girl.

"Do you think this is the left or right shoulder-piece?" Clary held up a piece of the gleaming metal armor, surprised to find it was lighter than she expected it to weigh, probably made out of a pliable material such as iron so it wouldn't weigh down any of the poor soldiers who were forced into such uncomfortable attire.

"Let's hope." Rosie laughed, taking the piece from her. She found it great that she could meet someone from another house that wasn't intimidating and rude, but that was mostly the vibe she got from Slytherin. She continued to help the girl with the broken armor pieces, humming a small tune as she did. She figured that while she was there, she might as well get to know someone she didn't know very well.

"What's your name? My name's Rosie! I'm in the Hufflepuff house and it's my first day." She giggled as she picked up the helmet. "Huh." Rosie slowly put it on her own head and laughed. "Do I look scary?" She probably didn't. Rosie was a small, tiny little girl and couldn't even handle the weight of the helmet itself, because she slowly leaned over from it's heaviness. "Woah!" She yelped as she tumbled to the ground.

Rosie had always been clumsy, but she found it almost entertaining. She got to find out what hurt, what didn't. What worked, what didn't. It was all a form of stupid adventure Rosie was dedicated to. And on the good side, it was also entertaining not only to herself, but to others as well.

Clary smiled at the presumably Hufflepuff student, who definitely seemed to live up to her house name. She was cute, even an inch or two shorter than Clary, and ever-so-bubbly! The Ravenclaw girl found it a bit endearing, giggling quietly as she finished lining up the armor on the ground. As Rosie introduced herself, she noted down the name, not surprised to find out her house was exactly what Clary assumed it'd be. 

In reply to the greeting, Clary smiled and tipped an invisible hat in her direction. "Claryssa, though I go by Clary, North. I'm a resident Ravenclaw, and also perhaps a little bit of a resident clutz at times when I get lost in my thoughts." She cocked an eyebrow as she saw Rosie lug up the helmet piece, heavier than it looked upon first impressions. Slightly toddling over, the Hufflepuff girl had placed it on her head, questioning if she looked scary, to which Clary replied in amusement, "Definitely. In the way a kitten is scary when trying to attack your foot, though."

Clary jumped, surprised by the clatter of noise. It seemed everything was just falling down into a wreck today! She quickly bent down, careful to pull the helmet off of Rosie's head and replace it on the skeletal outline of how the armor stand used to hang before turning back to her. "Yikes, are you sure you're okay? That sounded like a loud thunk."

To probably Clary's surprise, Rosie had a big grin on her face. She thought Clary was a cute name, suited for her. She expected people of Ravenclaw to be... Cold, distant. But then again, she didn't really know
anyone yet. She giggled as she watched Clary put the helmet back on. "Sorry! I thought it looked cool, I'm okay." Rosie stood up, dusting herself off. "So, what's the Ravenclaw house like?? I'm curious! They seem to be super smart or something. I wonder if they're better than Slytherin." She hopped from foot to foot, seemingly babbling. She stopped after a bit and looked up at the armor. "Hm.."

Rosie placed her hand on it. "Cold." She observed. "Do you think someone wore this once? That'd be kinda cool! I wonder if I'll be able to wear some, like when I'm older. I dunno if they make armor for children." She sighed, turning to Clary again. She put on a reassuring grin as she approached her again, her grandma always told her that a smile would get her more attention instead of her staring with a blank face. She had failed to do that for a little after her grandma died, but if she didn't smile, how was she ever supposed to move on?

Clary found the dumb grin on Rosie's face to be amusing. It seemed that little Hufflepuff girl could spring up after any incident thrown her way, and Clary almost envied her for her perseverance. Though Rosie might seem a bit ditzy, she was strong for always being able to recover, and better yet, doing so with a light-hearted, giggly attitude. Deciding to take her reassurances as fact, Clary relaxed, no longer attempting to fuss over Rosie's condition, and leaned into her hip, standing comfortably as she listened to the Hufflepuff go babbling away in an almost endearing sort of way.

In accordance with the first question, Clary answered, "Honestly, I guess Ravenclaw is just like any other house... We're just a group of kids just like everyone else, hanging out, living together, etc. A lot of people think we're bookworms, but that's not always the case. I mean personally, I hate reading, but I love learning new things! Our curiosity gets the better of us at times, I guess, but I'm actually writing an article for the Ravenclaw newspaper right now that's basically all about what makes up the Ravenclaw house!" Clary knew she herself was perhaps rambling, but discussing the topics of her articles excited her, and perhaps bouncing off ideas with another student, even if she was in Hufflepuff and not Ravenclaw, would help her out with the writing and interview process later on.

She watched as Rosie seemed to shift personalities quickly, now gaining a new-found interest in the re-assembled statue of armor. It was true, the metal was cold, though she resisted the urge to inform the Hufflepuff that's just because it was a conductor and conducted heat better than her own skin did. Rosie asked a curious question, did someone wear this once upon a time? Perhaps, she'd have to look into it later. Maybe the library or a Professor would have some experience with the strange statues. 

"You know, I bet someone did wear this once upon a time, though something tells me that in modern day, most people don't walk around in statues of armor." She giggled at the silly notion. "This castle is like hundreds of years old, and I bet those statues are too, but I'm sure no one would stop you if you eventually snuck back here and tried it out, anyway."

Rosie watched Clary babble, finding it endearing herself. Because of that, the grin on her face stayed put. She did actually think that the houses were very different but, considering Clary, were they? She rubbed her head a bit and listened to Clary talk about her house. It was interesting. She gasped when Clary said she was writing something. "Seriously? That's so cool! I'd love to read it when you're done. I bet you're a great writer!" She clasped her hands together, a big smile on her face. "Hmm, suspicious." She lowered her voice, leaning forward. "Are you possibly... Interviewing me undercover for Hufflepuff intel?" Rosie gasped, her serious facade breaking as she laughed. "Just messing!"

In response to what Clary said about the armor, she stood next to it, trying to impersonate the armor figure. "I think I could work it." She observed, nodding. "I dunno, armor's cool! It can protect you but, unfortunately it's heavy. And you probably can't swim in it. Plus, I'm sure there's a spell for shielding yourself." Rosie nodded, walking back over to Clary from the armor. "I've been talking so much, I'm sorry." She scratched her cheek a bit. "I do it when I'm excited." A blush was shown on her cheeks. She really didn't wanna scare Clary away yet. She could be Rosie's first friend!

Clary smirked at Rosie's suspicious comment about the interview undercover. While that was perhaps a smart idea, this month's article was only focused on the Ravenclaw house, and she technically had to have approval from everyone to use whatever they said in the paper, anyway. She was honestly just a bit curious about Rosie's point of views on the different houses in an attempt to make a friend. You could never have too many of those, and the cute little Hufflepuff girl seemed as good as any to have. "I'll totally send you a copy of the paper once it's done! We usually only give them out to our own house, but I doubt anyone'll mind. I haven't even started the article yet, though, so it may take a while."

Clary listened to Rosie's babbling about the piece of armor, finding it amusing that the Hufflepuff girl could find so much to say about a simple, inanimate object. It was definitely too heavy for poor Rosie, at least at the time. She couldn't even don the helmet without managing to knock herself over! "Fair point. I'm pretty sure the spell is called Protego, though I could be mistaken. I've heard it mentioned once or twice, but I'm by no means an expert at Dueling Club, or anything, for that matter..." She shrugged, holding up a hand as Rosie began to apologize to signal that it was totally fine. Clary was by no means annoyed, and she honestly was grateful that the motor mouth was capable of carrying most of the conversation for her. Plus, she technically had an issue with doing that herself when she was nervous, and she wasn't about to be a hypocrite when others acted the same way.

Rosie smiled when Clary said she could have a copy, her green eyes seemed vibrant as her face broke out into a grin once again. "Great! I can't wait to see it. I'm expecting to be impressed." She praised. Rosie was shifting from foot to foot as they talked, obviously happy with their conversation. Happy in general! While they spoke, Rosie lowkey started to study Clary's body language, which she was comforted by, because Clary obviously wasn't very intimidating at this point. "I like reading more, I think. It's comforting. But it gets too silent in the room sometimes, so I have to stop." She laughed nervously.

"Protego... I'll write that down somewhere! Maybe I can imagine that I'm wearing armor." She thought out loud, looking at the armor again. Rosie managed a small smile when Clary excused her babbling, feeling better and better about being around her. She knew Clary would become a friend of hers, she grinned. "You're pretty cool! I haven't met anyone else really, but I'm glad I can make some other friends out of my house!" Rosie smiled at Clary, holding out her hand. "I think I can formally introduce myself now, that we're not on the ground."

Clary offered a shy smile at the praise, though, in reality, she was terrified about the newspaper. Not only had she technically never written for a newspaper before in her life, but she was the newest member of the team, and felt the intense pressure of making a good impression. She was at least comforted by the thought that technically the Ravenclaws were still only working on their first monthly edition on the paper, so she hadn't really missed out on anything up to this point.

She nodded, listening to Rosie discuss her interests with reading and replied, "I mean, don't get me wrong, I love reading as well. It just gives me a headache sometimes when the letters get mixed around." She shrugged, not feeling the need to lay it out plain and simple that she had Dyslexia. Some Ravenclaw bookworm she sure is, not even able to get through a chapter without feeling the need to stop and take a break. "I get the thing about the quiet, I guess, though sometimes I see it as a blessing. Growing up with two other siblings doesn't give you a lot of room for alone time, especially when one of them is your twin!"

Clary was relieved she and the Rosie seemed to be hitting it off, the unfortunate situation of their slightly awkward, or at least peculiar, encounter behind. She also hadn't really had the chance to speak yet with many Hufflepuffs, aside from the girl Michelle who she'd had a run-in with at the library a few days ago. It seemed like years ago after everything that had happened recently. She accepted Rosie's hand with a grin, shaking it. "Well, consider yourself formally introduced, Rosie. Just be careful next time you try to put an armor helmet on your head!"

Rosie continued shifting from foot to foot as they talked, her smile big. Her hands were stuffed in her pockets as she listened to Clary when Rosie for once stopped babbling. As much as she liked talking, she also loved listening to people talk. What their thoughts were, how they felt. She moved some of her light brown hair behind her ear.

"Honestly, reading's kinda like an adventure! You get to imagine what it's like for them, and every page is a new twist and turn to keep you reading." She spread her hands, grinning. "As for the quiet, I dunno! Just makes me uncomfy sitting in silence for so long. I need to have something, you know?" Rosie shrugged.

When they shook hands, Rosie lowered her hand back down to her side, still smiling. "I don't know if it's me that should be careful, Ms. Clutz!" She laughed. "I wouldn't have been lead here if I didn't hear you crash. It was... Fate, it seems!" Rosie joked. She put her hands back into her pockets and looked back to Clary. Rosie was satisfied with their conversation, glad it didn't end in her snapping at Rosie for trying to help. She was good!

Clary laughed, crouching down over next cobblestone stone wall to retrieve her leather messenger bag, one of the few items that had survived her tumble without any real disarray. Once the strap had successfully been tossed over her head and onto her left shoulder, while the bag itself rested on her right hip, she straightened up, turning to face Rosie, agreeing that this really was like a mini adventure. With the hallway mainly abandoned, the whole area had a mysterious ambiance about it, and mixed with the shady lighting, it looked like something straight out of mystery film... or a horror movie.

It really did seem like fate indeed with the two girls happening to meet each other. Clary hated the idea of what would've happened if she'd been left alone to clean up the mess, and Rosie had not only been a huge help, but a rather endearing a talkative companion as well. "Once again, thanks so much for the help," Clary replied appreciatively. "I really don't know what I would've done without your assistance, Rosie.

Clary's mind wandered, wondering what would've happened if someone else had happened upon her on the ground, instead of the energetic Hufflepuff girl. Would they have helped her just the same? She reminded herself once again to investigate the history of the armor later on when she went to the library, but for now, turned back to face Rosie, frowning as she thought of the girl tipping to the ground because of the armor helmet. "Are you sure we shouldn't take a quick swing by the Hospital Wing? It's really not that far away, and I'm worried about you hitting your head. Consider it a sort of... a continuation of our adventure."

Rosie watched Clary get her stuff, scolding herself internally for not getting it for her. She had completely forgotten about it because they were talking for so long, which she wasn't complaining about. Talking to Clary was fun! She grinned and shrugged. "No problem! I didn't want you to be hurt alone, that'd kinda suck. I'm glad you're okay." Rosie stretched. "You talk about me coming to help like I'm some hero, funny." She giggled, shifting from foot to foot once again.

She felt her head once again, noticing a bump from when she fell. Rosie shrugged it off and waved her hand as if to brush it off. "It's good! I'll sleep it off. I fall a lot, so I'm used to it. What about you? Are you okay? I don't mind taking you to the wing." She smiled." But... If it means I can talk and walk with you for a bit longer, than I guess it doesn't hurt to be safe." Rosie turned towards the wing. "That way, right?" She pointed down the hall. "It'll be a fun little adventure! Sounds exciting." Rosie squealed, turning back to Clary, a reassuring expression on her face. "You ready to go?"

Clary glanced around the hall, scanning to see if she'd left anything behind after the little mishap. The armor was now back together in one piece, she had her bag on her shoulder, and Rosie seemed relatively unharmed. All in all, the incident wasn't as damaging as she thought it'd be, which was a great relief. Rosie was such a sweet girl, and although Clary didn't view her as some kind of superhero, it took a certain kind of person to drop everything they were doing to stop and help someone in need. Perhaps Rosie was a good friend to keep, indeed.

She was surprised Rosie was able to recover so quickly from injury, though, from the way the little girl bounced around all the time, perhaps this was a common occurrence for her to experience. She was far from being called "Grace" with her clumsy demeanor, though Clary wasn't one much for talking. She wasn't really injured herself but having nothing better to do, she nodded her head, leading her way towards the staircase so they could head up to the Third Floor where the Hospital Wing lay. She hadn't met the nurse yet or even been nearby there for that matter, so perhaps it'd be an interesting occurrence.

Reducio
I'll open a new thread a bit later on at the Hospital Wing, or you can.