Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

First Day of School Jitters  PV   Closed 

Anastasia's first day of classes had gone fairly well. She had liked most of her classes alright, and had picked up on everything pretty quickly. She was still adjusting to being at Hogwarts in the first place and to being a Gryffindor specifically. She had gone her entire life until the Sorting just assuming that she was going to be placed in Slytherin or if that somehow didn't happen, then Ravenclaw. She would have never, in a million years thought there was any way that she was going to end up a Gryffindor. And yet, as she got more used to the idea, she realized she didn't hate it half as much as she thought she would. Sure, it was weird, but there had been moments nearly every day when a little voice in her head whispered things like That was rather Gryffindor of you, or See, that's why the Hat put you in Gryffindor. 

She hadn't heard back from her parents since she'd wrote them about the Sorting, and she was rather dreading it. What if they sent her a Howler? Or even worse and more like what she would expect from her parents, didn't reply at all? She sighed and decided she would stop by the Owlery before she went back to her dorm and see if maybe the owl had arrived after breakfast. She turned around and nearly slammed into the person who had been walking behind her. Indeed, it would have been a full on crash if she hadn't managed to stop herself with not a moment to spare. 

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Katherine was in her own world when she nearly knocked another girl, who looked as confused as she was, into the next dimension. (Which evidently was where she, herself had been just moments before. In her own world.) Her books went flying in all directions out of her hands.
"I'm so so sorry. I wasn't paying attention. I'm Katherine by the way. Katherine Liske."
Katherine smiled at the girl.
"I'm in Ravenclaw too, though judging from what your wearing you are in Gryffindor."
Not that Katherine had anything against Gryffindors. She didn't have a problem with anyone or any house.
Katherine hadn't known anything about the houses or which one she even wanted to be in. She was just happy to be placed in a house. She was glad she finally had an explanation for who her father was, no that being a wizard gave him an excuse for not being a father. But as she was already late she didn't need to be wandering through her mind again, thinking about her father and his many problems. She reached down to scoop up her many books.
"I was just coming from Charms, and my schedule says I'm supposed to be going to Transfigurations, but I have no idea where anything is in this place and no one seems to know how to give me a map." She smiled up at the girl. When she gathered the last of her wide library of books she mistakenly decided to carry around with her she stood back up.
"And, it looks like you are going to the same place so would you like to walk with me? Two is a much better number than one."

A smile that was kind if a bit practiced immediately appeared on her lips as the girl began apologizing. It fascinated her how people did that when they crashed into her, or nearly did anyways, even when it was pretty obviously her fault. She knew that the way her parents had raised her was different than many of the other students she'd met, but this was one of the more reoccurring examples. Her father had always told her that a Beckett should never apologize unless they accidentally severely injured someone. Anything else was pathetic and if you purposely hurt someone, then you should be firm in that decision, were the exact words of her father. Clearly, this girl's parents had different ideas. "Oh, it's alright," Anastasia told her. She thought the encounter was over, but the other girl continued talking rather quickly. She bit her lip slightly at the mention of her house. She was still adjusting to that after an entire life of expecting to be put in Slytherin. 

She didn't make any reply to the girl's remark about their houses, but continued listening. She supposed she didn't have time to run to the Owlery since Transfiguration was practically across the castle, and it would be rather rude to just run off right now since this girl seemed to want to talk. "Oh, well, alright," Anastasia said, still smiling. This girl was certainly not someone her parents would approve of her associating with, so that made her just a bit curious. She wasn't trying to rebel or anything, she just wanted to see what her parents were trying to protect her from with all of their Blood Purity ideas.  "I'm Anastasia Beckett, by the way." She assumed this girl wasn't from the magical world, but her reaction to the Beckett name would answer that question for her. 

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Katherine, who wanted to be nice, didn't bring up anything about the girl's name. She walked alongside her and thought about something nice to say.
"So do you like it here?"
Katherine wasn't used to the castle yet, but she still did enjoy the classes when she could actually get to them.
"I really am starting to enjoy myself here."
She wanted to be nice but she wasn't sure how. What if something she said offended her? What if she already said something that offended her? She decided to take her chances.
"So do you like it in Gryffindor or do you wish you were in a different house? Personally, I didn't know anything about the sorting system here and I just think I'm lucky I got sorted at all. I thought that this couldn't possibly be real. But here I am!" Katherine really hoped that her chatter wasn't making this girl annoyed. She seemed really nice and Katherine didn't want to get on her nerves and drive her away. she was at a little lack of friends so far.
"Sorry. I talk a lot and I can't really control it. I guess I'm just a little nervous and when I get nervous I get chatty. It's really inconvenient actually." Katherine flashed her a smile hoping it would make up for being annoying.

Anastasia turned and began to walk at the red head girl's side. She only nodded at the girl's first question, since it didn't seem to be a question that needed a long winded response, and anyway, the other girl, Katherine, she'd said her name was, seemed to want to talk a bit.  
"So do you like it in Gryffindor or do you wish you were in a different house? Personally, I didn't know anything about the sorting system here and I just think I'm lucky I got sorted at all. I thought that this couldn't possibly be real. But here I am!"
Anastasia decided this question did warrant more of a response than a simple nod since it was a bit more complicated. "I must say, I rather do like it in Gryffindor. I had actually been hoping for Slytherin, but Gryffindor has been quite lovely so far," she told the other girl. "Why do you say that? Are you a Mu-muggleborn?" Anastasia hoped she wouldn't noticed her quick correction. She'd nearly said Mudblood, but had stopped herself. It was a common word in her house, but her parents had said not to use it in school since many found it offensive and it could get her in trouble. 

Katherine smiled at her question. It wasn't that she didn't understand the magic that it was obvious she was raised as a muggle but more that she didn't know anything about magical ways.
She chuckled. "Nah, I'm not a Mudblood. Just a clueless half-blood. My muggle mother raised me so I don't know much, but the classes are not that hard."
Katherine wasn't offended that people assumed she was a muggle-born either, she sort of just thought it was amusing. People always avoided talking about it around Slytherins and Katherine could understand why. There had been too many discrepancies about Muggle-borns, to begin with, and people were wary they would set someone from an old family off. Or even a normal time-y family that totally supported stuff from the wars that had happened years before. Katherine had also learned not to talk about that either. Many people were still sore after the latest one and she didn't want to make any enemies.
"I wish I knew more about the history and what to talk about though. I guess I need to pay more attention to History Class." Katherine smirked thinking of her old history teacher and how she reacted when Katherine had brought up witch trials back in fifth grade. She said that witch trials were stupid and that people should realize there is no such thing as magic. How very wrong she was.
"So do you like Transfiguration?"

Nah, I'm not a Mudblood. Just a clueless half-blood. My muggle mother raised me so I don't know much, but the classes are not that hard.
Anastasia's eyebrows shot up at the girl's causal use of the word Mudblood. The only people who used that were Purebloods like Anastasia's parents, and even they had told her not to use it at school. If she was the kind of person who used that word so freely, then she certainly wouldn't be amused that Anastasia had mistaken her for one. Halfbloods, particularly ones who had grown up in the Muggle world, did not use that phrase at all. Maybe she didn't know what it meant? Anastasia made her face go back to normal and didn't say anything. She'd listen a bit more to figure things out. If she'd grown up in the Muggle world, then Anastasia rather hoped she didn't know how awful that word was. Otherwise, that reflected rather poorly on her. 

I wish I knew more about the history and what to talk about though. I guess I need to pay more attention to History Class.

"At least we have an actual teacher now. Back when my parents were at Hogwarts, they had a ghost teaching, and I've heard that was quite tedious even if you liked history," Anastasia replied, conversationally. For her, talking about a ghost teaching a history class was perfectly normal."And I do quite like Transfiguration, although I'll have to admit that Charms is probably my favorite class so far, although I do really enjoy History of Magic."

Katherine frowned at Ana's reaction to her use of the word "Mudblood".
'Did I use it incorrectly? Ugh, I'm such a noob.'
"Sorry if I said that wrong. Like I said, I don't know much. I'm trying to learn what I'm supposed to say and all. Sorry if I offended you an' all." Katherine cringed.
"At least we have an actual teacher now. Back when my parents were at Hogwarts, they had a ghost teaching, and I've heard that was quite tedious even if you liked history,"
"Huh. A ghost as a teacher? How did that happen? I didn't know ghosts pursued academics."
Katherine sighed.
"I just wish I could get a hang of wizard slang an' all. It would make me less awkward."
Katherine thought of when she had first lost her memory and people had to keep reminding her what things were and how things worked. She didn't remember all the details because of her flawed temporal lobe but she did know that it was always awkward and people who didn't know her always stared or made rude comments. And Katherine always tried to act like this didn't faze her but some of the things people said really hit her deep down. The main one was the never dying, 'Is your daughter mentally damaged?' And every time someone snapped her with that question she would ask something deep like, 'If I was would that mean I wasn't an important part of society that deserves to be respected?'. That usually made people back off.
Katherine cleared her throat. "Anyway."

Sorry if I said that wrong. Like I said, I don't know much. I'm trying to learn what I'm supposed to say and all. Sorry if I offended you an' all. 
Anastasia was glad the other girl had said something. "Well, it's a rather rude word, and most Muggleborns and Halfbloods who grew up in the Muggle world are quite offended by it," Anastasia told the other girl frankly. She wondered where the girl had even heard that phrase. It wasn't all that common at Hogwarts even back in her parents' days, but she hadn't even heard any Purebloods use it so far. She wasn't entirely certain whether or not she thought Muggleborns should be at Hogwarts. Her parents certainly didn't, but plenty of older and wiser wizards and witches did. So far, she hadn't met that many that were that bad. One girl had crashed into her and then argued with her at the library, but Anastasia thought that whole mess was more because the girl was mad at Anastasia than because she had grown up in the Muggle world. 
Huh. A ghost as a teacher? How did that happen? I didn't know ghosts pursued academics.
I think he was a teacher before he died and then they couldn’t exactly fire him due to the fact he was a ghost,” Anastasia told the other girl. She was still undecided on this girl. She seemed nice enough, but she was quite talkative for Anastasia’s taste. She glanced back over when the other girl cleared her throat.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Katherine said covering her mouth. She hated when she said the wrong thing because she could remember what the heck she was and wasn't supposed to say. She hoped for the billionth time she hadn't offended the girl. She remembered one time she was playing around and hurt someone (she didn't quite remember who) and then she told them rudely that they shouldn't have been in the way and her mother got very mad at her. It took Katherine a while to figure out that she wasn't supposed to be blatantly rude and state her opinions in front of the wrong people. She always had to correct herself when it came to having a conversation with people who were not too quick to forgive.
“I think he was a teacher before he died and then they couldn’t exactly fire him due to the fact he was a ghost,”
Katherine was intrigued by this.
"What happened to him? Did he agree to leave when they found a new, living teacher?"
Katherine couldn't imagine being taught by a ghost. Would it be interesting listening to their lectures? Or would it be hard to hear because they were ghosts? Personally, Katherine had yet to see a ghost in the large castle, although people talked about seeing the infamous Peeves flying around causing mayhem. And although they were intriguing, ghosts weren't much of a conversation starter here, like Katherine had expected. She assumed she would just have to wait. She did have seven years here, after all.

What happened to him? Did he agree to leave when they found a new, living teacher?
Anastasia began to shrug before shaking her head instead. Her mother had always told her that shrugging was far too casual and most improper for a well bred girl to do, but she had picked it up in her first few days at school. That wouldn't do. She wasn't even a week into school and she was already starting vices her mother had forbidden since childhood. "Nobody knows quite how he died, although there's stories. And I really don't know how we ended up with a living teacher, but I know that I for one, am quite glad that we did,” Anastasia replied. They were nearing the classroom, but were on the earlier side, so they had a bit more time to talk. She wanted to find out a bit more about this girl before she made up her mind about her, so she decided to start probing a bit. 

"So, what's your family like?" she asked the other girl casually. That was a rather open ended question that should get the other girl talking. From what Anastasia could tell so far, she liked to talk and didn't have the same issues with revealing information that Anastasia did. It also said quite a bit the girl based on exactly what she started to say. 

Katherine was starting to like Ana more and more. She was nice even if she did do some weird things once in a while as if correcting herself. Katherine thought that was strange. But when she asked Katherine about her family Katherine had to try hard not to freeze up and not answer.
"My mom's nice, I guess." That was all she said. she didn't really want to talk about her absent father any more than she wanted to talk about how rude she was, but at least being rude could be corrected. Not being there for your child when they had the biggest accident of their life is neither forgivable or could ever be made up. Katherine tried not to react poorly to the question but she couldn't stop herself before asking a question she knew would be considered rude in her mother's eyes.
"Why do you keep correcting yourself all the time. When you were asking if I was muggle-born. And you did it when you were answering my question about the ghost teacher. Do you have tics or something?" Katherine bit her lip the moment she said it. Her anger was very evident in the question and she had a feeling that the girl would be offended by the question. Why did she have to be so rude? This had nothing to do with impaired memory at all and her mother would have grounded her for weeks if she had heard Katherine say it. She felt a tear slide down her freckled cheek. From the weight of the question Ana had asked her or from the guilt of her own she had no idea.

Anastasia made a mental not of the girl's short and seemingly rather forced answer. If she said that er mother was nice, that meant that either her father was simply awful, or not even in the picture. Anastasia rather wanted to ask, but decided against it. How could she ask a girl she had literally met minutes ago about a topic that was clearly sensitive? She'd figure out a bit more, and fill in any blanks herself. 

Anastasia was about to ask another question when Katherine asked another question herself. Anastasia's cheeks flushed when the other girl finished. How was she supposed to answer that question? If she decided not to answer altogether like she wanted to, then it would be clear that the correcting herself was a part of something bigger. The truth wasn't all that appealing either, but if she lied, the other girl might be able to tell. Generally, Anastasia was a quite good liar, but she would rather not lie to a girl she'd just met. That wasn't exactly to foundation you wanted for any sort of relationship. Then, she remembered the last bit of the girl's question. Anastasia knew exactly what tics were, but most wizards didn't so she could just act like she thought Katherine was talking about the other kind of ticks, the nasty little bug kind. "Um, no. I don't have ticks," she said slowly. "Wizards don't get ticks. There's magic to prevent them."

"Sorry," Katherine muttered. She told herself not to be so rude. She decided to go with a safer question.
"Um, where are you from?"
Personally, Katherine hated this particular question. She didn't know where she was from and her mother said it wasn't important. She always just told people she was from America and left it to that. She knew she had lived there at one point, so it was the closest one to the truth in Katherine's opinion.
Katherine's mother had always supported her, but when she said that Katherine didn't need to know where she was from, she felt a bit betrayed. Her mother was hiding things from her that Katherine never understood, but she learned to be used to the strange behavior.
"I'm from America. I moved here a few years ago. My mom wanted to move to the U.K. and I had always wanted to live in Europe so it worked out. I think I like it here better than I could ever like an American wizarding school anyway. The famous Hogwarts and me, the forgetful American girl gets to go here for school. It's so cool don't you think."
'Stop acting like a kid, Katherine. You sound like an idiot,' she told herself. She hated that she wanted to be normal. Her mother had always told her to be as weird as you want to be and never let someone strike you down for it.
Katherine smiled kindly at Ana.

"I'm from London," Anastasia told the girl. She noted the change of subject. That was certainly understandable, given the girl's misstep. She decided to roll with it. She could try to find out more about the girl's family life later. She listened to the other girl's statement about being from America. She was about to reply when something struck her as odd about the girl's choice of words. It was rather strange that she identified herself as "forgetful". She wondered if there was a story behind that. After all, using forgetful as a key trait when describing yourself to a near stranger was rather odd. She didn't say anything else, since the girl would either choose to tell her more about that or she wouldn't, and Anastasia pressing her about it wouldn't make her want to tell her anything. 

"Hogwarts is certainly one of the best. My mother rather wanted to send me to Beaubatons, but my father really wanted me here. I'm glad about that so far," Anastasia told her. That was revealing a bit more than she wanted, but it didn't say that much. The only thing it really revealed was that her parents wanted to shelter her, which was something that the other girl would have figured out fairly shortly.

Back