Corridors

Register
Sign in

-POOR YOU-  PV James Lachoneus 

PV: James Lachoneus

Dorothy Shafiq stepped quickly down a corridor, fists clenched and mouth set in a firm line.  In her hand was a small written note.  The fresh ink slowly stained her finger-tips grey as she squished it with her hand.  So far, her day had been sub-par.  The little note in her possession was on its way to a Hogwarts teacher.  On it, a tale of her misbehavior showed in black ink.  Dorothy had called someone a name.   As a young girl, Dorothy couldn't help but feel that this was to be expected.  She had known people who used silly insults into their teenage years.   A little verbal battery should be anticipated and ignored by the Prefects and Hogwarts staff.  It was, to an extent.  Why, hadn't Dorothy heard a Gryffindor use the word 'butthead' that very morning?  Unfortunately, in this case, Dorothy had stepped a bit passed the level of juvenile insults. 

Yes, she had called someone a mudblood.  Actually, she had called a whole group of people mudbloods.  That word, so commonly used in her household, was unwelcome within the Hogwarts walls.  Dorothy had been unaware of this.  True, she hadn't heard any of the other purebloods use it, but she didn't fully comprehend the intolerance held at the school.  She wasn't proud of what she had done.  Her tall figure could be seen turning briskly around the corner and down another long hall.  Professor Henley's office was four floors from where she had started.  Another right turn and she would reach the third staircase.  The hall was long and empty.  Almost everyone was still at lunch, either eating or just socializing. 

Dorothy had begun thinking of excuses for her behavior.  Professor Henley was a very sensitive teacher.  The kind of teacher who gave their students candy when they were having difficulties, or offered them support in hard situations.  Perhaps Dorothy could explain the pressure she was receiving from her stepmother.  If she made it sound sad enough, she might even end up with a bit of candy! As exciting as this thought was, Dorothy's face was still fixed in a dreadful scowl.  This new development mixed with the problems from home had her in a dreadful mood. It was as if Hogwarts was attempting to participate in the ruining of her life.  The students certainly were annoying her on purpose.  Why, this whole situation was because of them in the first place!

Here was the right turn.  Dorothy navigated the final corner forcefully, and began her trek up the winding staircase.  A slight, nagging ache occupied her calves as she hiked up the stairs.  Who had planned the architecture of this castle, and why did they like stairs so much?  One thing was certain.  By the end of her time at Hogwarts, she would have wonderful legs.  Dorothy heaved a sigh as she neared the top of the staircase.  The steps beneath her gave a little shudder, and the staircase began to slide left.  "No.  No no no no no!" Dorothy groaned as the stair came to a rumbling stop on the opposite side of the castle.  She would have to take a long route through the many corridors in the castle to successfully reach her destination. 

Bully: a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.  According to this definition, it would be unjust to call Dorothy Shafiq a bully.  She didn't say unkind things to just her inferiors.  She could be seen insulting her peers and superiors alike.  Dorothy could never wrap her head around why it was so easy for her to be unkind.  Sometimes the mean things just came out of her mouth.  She regretted the words when she felt they were undeserved.   In this situation they-

A noise quickly distracted Dorothy from her thoughts.  It was the sound of footsteps coming from around the corner.  They were headed for her.  Dorothy bit her lip viciously and hastened her walk.  She did NOT want to deal with anymore positive, happy, Hufflepu- Oh no.  A figure wearing a yellow and black uniform was rounding the corner, whistling an obnoxiously cheery tune.   Dorothy started, but continued moving, hugging the note to her chest.  She was about to pass him, about to escape another cheerful conversation.  That's when the boy spoke.  
Last edited by Anatole Evans on 16th August 2018, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Changed Topic Type to RPG!

Stamina: 4 - Agility: 5 - Strength: 7 - Control: 3 - Arcane Power: 6 - Accuracy: 5

James was back! He was back at Hogwarts!
James could barely hold in his exhilaration. This place was home. This place was safe. Well, except for all of the fiery encounters he had last year...
James was whistling a strange tune as he walked down the corridors. He didn't know exactly why he was whistling this particular tune, but he was. The theme for the Muggle show America's Got Talent bounced across the walls, light and airy pizzicato. James used to not be able to whistle, but after some dedicated practice, he became the best in his family. His family...
James shook his head and pushed that thought away. He hoped the thought would stay away as long as possible.
James was coming close to a corner, when he heard some footsteps around it. Maybe it was Marissa, or Eri, or someone else he knew! He picked up his pace slightly, because the idea of being around another magical person after a long summer was almost salivating for him to think about. As he rounded the corner, he realized it was possible that the person he heard was Max, and he did NOT want to encounter him or any other possible bully.
The person he saw after rounding the corner was another Hufflepuff! But she... oh no, she had a scowl plastered across her face, and she was holding her arms close to her chest. She looked clearly ticked off at something.
"Oh! Hey there!" James said as their paths crossed. "You okay?"

Make a dragon in your mind and then paint it on your shoulder.
~Coming back from long absence...~
Stamina 6, Agility 6, Strength 4, Control 5, Arcane Power 4, Accuracy 5

The boy looked happy.  Annoyingly, innocently, and completely happy.  Dorothy frowned as he spoke.  "Oh! Hey there! You ok?"  Was she ok? WAS SHE OK?! Dorothy stopped dead in her tracks and turned towards him, eyes flashing.  "I am totally, comprehensively, wholly, predominantly, and  exhaustively happy! And even if I wasn't, it isn't any of your  business.  Leave me be."  Dorothy practically spat out the last words.  Who was this? Who was he to question her well-being?  Was he looking for a weakness? A place in which he could stick his grimy little fingers and pry her open?  Dorothy couldn't help but remain guarded around this boy.  She was already confused enough.

All her life, Dorothy had been taught that she was special.  That she was different from some because of her blood.  There were others like her, of course, but compared to the half-bloods and muggle borns she was something special.  This belief had always fueled her contempt at others.  Her stepmother would praise her for harsh words or bigoted remarks, and now she was getting punished for it.  This whole situation was far too complicated for a twelve year old girl.  While other children were worried about their grades, or their friends, or even their own happiness, Dorothy had to worry about her beliefs.  About who she would be.  

Dorothy turned away from the boy with a exhausted look on her face.  That's when something on the wall caught her eye.  It was a lone bit of parchment, smeared with dirt and stuck sloppily to the wall with a bent nail.  On it was a crest of some sort, with an ink depiction of a thestral.  Dorothy, without really thinking, hurriedly rushed over and began ripping it off the wall.  "I'm actually, just-just patrolling the corridors.  Yeah.  Pulling things like this off the wall is like, a special job of mine.  So get lost!"  She took another look at the strange drawing before stuffing it into her robe pocket.  The note was still held in her left hand.  

Maybe that was something the prefects did.  Look around for papers cluttering the walls.  Dorothy always wanted to be a prefect.  To have that level of power over others would be most fitting for a girl of her status. Often, she considered applying for such a position.  Then again, things like the Hufflepuff table fight all but destroyed her chances of actually getting such authority.  Perhaps someday, people wouldn't think of her as they did now.  Maybe they could think of her more like they did Serena.  Serena Towers was a name that often entered the conversations of occupants in the famous Shafiq Estates. Madam Shafiq qould talk of how polite she was, how well-behaved and pleasant.  Things like, "Did you hear Serena is head girl?" or "Serena Towers would never speak to her mother like that" offered Dorothy nothing but frustration and envy.  Still, it was hard not to like the girl.  Even if she was sending you to a teachers office. 

Dorothy turned once more back to the boy.  "If there's nothing I can help you with, you'd better get going.  I don't want to be caught in the hall with your type."  

Stamina: 4 - Agility: 5 - Strength: 7 - Control: 3 - Arcane Power: 6 - Accuracy: 5

As soon as James said "You ok?" he regretted it. Not because of any sort of reaction the girl gave, but because even to him, it sounded WAY out of place. That's not necessarily something you say the moment you meet someone. He didn't even know her name.
But, her reaction still made him regret it.
The girl looked at him with a look the screamed 'not-okay-ness'. "I am totally, comprehensively, wholly, predominantly, and  exhaustively happy!" she said, all at once, "And even if I wasn't, it isn't any of your  business.  Leave me be." she said brutally.
The girl turned away from James, looking wiped out from her reply, but James saw something catch her attention. The girl reached forward and snagged a piece of paper off of the wall. 
"I'm actually, just-just patrolling the corridors.  Yeah." she said, "Pulling things like this off the wall is like, a special job of mine.  So get lost!"
James had barely a second to see what she had taken off of the wall. It looked like some kind of drawing, but James hadn't seen what it was before she had stuffed it in her pocket.
"If there's nothing I can help you with, you'd better get going.  I don't want to be caught in the hall with your type."
James was taken aback. His type?
"My- my type?" James asked, sounding offended and confused.
HOLD UP! A voice in James' head interrupted, Let's not have any more "Max-like" encounters...
James knew he didn't want anything like that, especially not as soon as he was back at Hogwarts.
"What is my type?" he asked, countering calmly, folding his arms, but not with too much attitude. Maybe the girl would respect him for his assertiveness. Max certainly didn't. He called James... "flinchy".
Then, James got an idea. 
"Actually, yes. I think you can help me. I'm looking for some help with... a bully." he said. "I'm trying to figure out how to deal with him. If you have a special job, then you must be like a prefect or something." James knew she couldn't be, because he knew who the Hufflepuff prefects were. "So, who better to help me than someone like you?" he said.
Someone like her, he thought, that could refer to her 'special job status' or her own 'somewhat bully-like' demeanor.

I may look calm, but in my head I have killed you three times.

Dorothy paused for only a moment.  This kid knew stuff, maybe about her.  Then again, he could just be trying to impress her.  Trying to look big.  Dorothy had seen this tactic used by other purebloods, puffing themselves up like some pathetic peacock and staring people down.  He was doing it well, really.  Almost well enough to be believable.  Almost.  Dorothy drew herself to her full height, an impressive 5'1''.  Lately, it seemed as if she was growing taller every day.  Strange new pains were also emerging after her twelfth birthday.  So, standing tall and looking frightful, Dorothy spoke to the short, pudgy boy.    "Look.  I don't know who you are, or why you are so set on bothering the daylights out of me, but I would really like to get going.  I have an important meeting with Professor Violet that I really must attend to.  I'm trying to be civil here, but you're really making it... Difficult."  

She paused, eyeing him critically.  He was short and blonde, lacking the features of an older boy and reminding Dorothy of the children she'd just escaped.  First years.  He had to be one too.  Only first years could be so annoying, so innocent, so...  Was he speaking to her again?? Who did this kid think he was?  Why couldn't he just-Crap.  
"Actually, yes. I think you can help me. I'm looking for some help with... a bully."
A bully?  That certainly wasn't something Dorothy would know about.  She wasn't a bully.  A bully is someone who picks on the weak.  Ok, so this boy was weak, but he flipping started it.  Dorothy bit her lip and tensed slightly before turning back to him.  "I'm sorry.  I don't think I'm the right person to help you with that."   She stepped forward to leave.  

Sometimes Dorothy got strange thoughts about people she didn't know.  Now, she was at it again.  Who was this boy?  What was his life like?  Why was he so annoying? Was this empathy she was feeling, or just more annoyance?  No more questions.  Dorothy was sick and tired of questions.  Her return to Hogwarts was shaking her beliefs in a way she didn't think possible.  It was easier to assume a lie than accept the truth.   Dorothy stopped a moment, and turned once more to the boy.  "You don't know... Who it is you're talking to.  Please stop.  Don't say anything else to me.  If I break, you'll be cut badly."  How silly this was.  Two twelve year olds bumping into each other, and then one threatening the other with words that were far too mature.  Dorothy was being serious.  Too serious for a twelve year old girl.  Yet, she was careful in the way she spoke.  Perhaps because she was trying to be polite, or because of a far more selfish reason. 

Dorothy knew a real prefect wasn't far behind. 

Wow. This girl was definitely not a prefect. James could tell that much. She probably thought of him as some annoying little kid... even though he was second year, like her, it seemed. He was annoyed at how young he looked sometimes.
Even though she was threatening him scarily, James risked one last thing to say.
"Find me in the library when you can."
Then, James did what she had probably been waiting to do. He walked away. He knew it was dangerous, what with his experience with Max, but he figured he might as well step up his game. He didn't want an enemy of this girl, but he wasn't just going to let this go. He was on a mission. A silly one, but a mission, nonetheless.
Oh gosh, help me, he thought. As he continued walking down the corridor away from her, his thoughts wandered. Is she following me? Would she? What if I'm not in the library when she goes there? If she goes there? Gosh, what was I even saying? Well, at least I planted a seed. I bet she'll be so caught up in curiosity that she'll come anyway. Let's hope that she does... and also that I don't get killed.