Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Anastasia walked down the corridor, trying to get a handle on the place before classes began. She knew Hogwarts was practically a living place with all of its changing staircases and the like, but she wanted to at least have a general idea of the place so she wouldn’t make a fool of herself being having to ask for help or directions the next day.

She didn’t particularly fancy exploring alone, but she hadn’t really met anyone who she thought she could really be friends with. Her father always said that it was better to travel alone than with inferior company, and her father was right about most things. At least, that was Anastasia’s opinion. Although, she was already starting to discover that he didn’t know everything about everything the way she’d always thought he did. She’d always been told that any house other than Slytherin was ridiculous, and that Gryffindor in particular has no regard for anything of importance, but that hadn’t been true from what she’d seen. And then there was also the whole issue of muggle borns and blood purity. She’d grown up knowing that muggle borns were filthy and she really oughtn’t associate with them, but the ones she’d met so far seemed far better company than half the purebloods she knew. It was all rather confusing, and she didn’t really want to think about it at the moment.

As she rounded a corner, she came upon a boy who looked a bit lost, in every sense of the word. “Hello there,” she said as she approached in an attempt to not startle him too badly.

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Asher had been hoping that things would get better as time passed. That he would figure out how to move around in this new strange world of magic and wizardry. But it hadn't gotten any better, and he was so utterly lost that even if someone had come along to find him, he would have known what questions to ask. Ash usually prided himself in being very well oriented spatially, meaning that he didn't have trouble with maps and finding things. But that inner compass didn't seem to be helping him in this old school. Things were never where he thought they were, staircases moved and doors disappeared. It was all too much for him. He wanted to just get his stuff and leave, but he knew that wouldn't be possible. Not only did he have no idea where he was, he also figured that the school wouldn't just let a student leave without a parent giving permission. He knew that his father Jonas, though sweet and caring wouldn't let him leave under previously explained reasons. It seemed that Jonas wanted Asher to unroot his magical abilities and live as a wizard in a way that he himself didn't. So he couldn't rely on Jonas, and he most certainly couldn't go running to his other father Alex. First of all there was the small problem that Alex didn't know about the wizard world, so Asher would have to lie to him about it. The second problem was that if Asher did somehow convince Alex that he was miserable in "military school" (which was where Alex thought Ash was going) Alex would most likely just tell him he was being a wimp and ignore his complaints. So, he was stuck here and he hated it already.

One of the prefects had given him a map of the school but it was hand-drawn and woefully useless since half the stairs drawn on the map didn't seem to exist. Turning it around in his hands, Asher was so concentrated that he didn't hear the girl coming up behind him. When she said something he spun around nervously, dropping not only the map but also another bundle of papers that explained things about the school. Parchment and supplies went scattering everywhere and Ash immediately dropped to his knees to try and pick up all the stuff. Ink spilled all over the stone floor and onto his fingers and he let out something that sounded almost like a whimper of despair.
"Hi, sorry about this." He replied softly, looking up at the girl with worried eyes. His cheeks burned with embarrassment and he shifted back to sit on his heels as he surveyed the ruined ink covered pages in front of him.
"I-Sorry." He scrubbed a hand through his hair which left ink trails along his flushed skin and in his messy hair. Nothing was working out the way he wanted it to, and now he had just totally embarrassed himself in front of a pretty girl. The situation was so tragic that he was close to tears, which was even more embarrassing.

I've come to accept that everything I do will never be good enough

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Anastasia was glad she had said something when she was still a ways away, because the poor boy was still completely startled by her greeting. His papers and ink flew everywhere, and made an utter mess as they hit the ground. She almost wanted to laugh at the situation, not because she found it particularly funny, but because she felt rather bad for the boy. It was evident that he was not only not a pure blood, he hadn’t grown up in the wizarding world, which was even worse. This was the exact kind of person her parents, more specifically her father, would disapprove of and not even bother speaking to. Anastasia knew he could be right about that, but then again, she’s already spoken to him, and in a way, caused this current mess, so she felt rather obliged to help him out a bit. At his repeated apologies, she shook her head. Her family had taught her many things, some of them more helpful than others, but one thing was never apologize unless you know you’ve hurt someone important, and certainly don’t apologize as a way of introduction. This boy had clearly not grown up like that, and she did genuinely feel bad for him. Enough so that she decided to stick around for a bit and see if he was at all worth while company or a potential project. That was the one instance where her parents condoned associating with inferior blood - if you could make them a loyal follower, then their blood almost didn’t matter. Anastasia wasn’t quite that devious, but it did cross her mind.

No need to apologize, nobody died,” she said warmly as she walked closer to the boy and the mess. “I’m Anastasia, what’s your name?” She knew that was a tad more forward than her parents really thought a proper Beckett girl should be, but she was just trying to be welcoming and decent.

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Still flushing as red as tomato, Asher somehow managed to collect all the papers which were now dripping with ink and shove them back into his satchel. He could practically feel his father rolling his eyes and glared down at him. This was not how a soldier showed themselves to the world. He was supposed to be strong and silent, not a total bumbling rambling fool. The one thing Asher was good at when it came to introductions were handshakes but that wasn't even an option right now. His hands were still stained black from ink and he figured she wouldn't want to shake hands with him, Not that he would blame her, if he had been her he would have just backed away and looked at him like he was a crazy person. That struck him as sort of ironic, him being the crazy one. He seemed to be one of the only kids here who thought that all of this was weird and terrifying.
"I'm Ash, it's a pleasure to meet you." In that moment he took on an oddly militarily measured tone of voice, completely different from the way he had spoken before. These were things he had practiced, polite greetings were in his resume of abilities.

"I'm a little new at... ah, all this. I'm not usually this scatterbrained." He told her, trying in vain to joke a little bit. It was true that he most often wasn't like this. He wasn't exactly totally perfect either but he certainly wasn't this bad. Seeing ghosts flying around and kids bewitching books to float tended to have strange effects on people. Especially people who had been taught the art of science and not to believe in anything else (at least by one side of his family). Slinging his satchel over his shoulder he gave her a practiced smile, sincere but also a little bit distant. He was already practicing for the military, right down to the smile. Without all the distractions of dropping and breaking things, Asher finally got a good look at the girl in front of him. She was pretty, there was no doubt about that. But the first thing that Ash noticed was how confident she seemed. She just radiated confidence in a way he had always wanted to. Fiddling nervously with his wand, he twisted it back and forth in his palm and looked away suddenly, realizing that he had been staring for just a bit too long.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

The mannerisms in his voice and the way he spoke interested her. It reminded her a bit of the way purebloods were all coached to sound, but not quite. While people like her were trained to sound confident and superior, he sound more like he had been trained to be respectful and bit robotic.

She smiled at his attempt at a joke, trying to put him a little more at ease. She knew this was all intimidating and a bit scary for her, who had been preparing and looking forward to this literally her entire life. She couldn’t imagine what it must be like for someone who hadn’t grown up expecting this. She noticed his watching her for just a moment too long and smiled to herself. This had started happening with boys more recently, and she found it odd and rather amusing. It was certainly something she could use to her advantage, especially as she got older. She knew her mother had had a relatively charmed life and not really had to work for much, being a pure blood and considered very beautiful. Anastasia knew she didn’t want that. She wasn’t sure why she didn’t want that, after all, she’s been taught her entire life that her mother was an ideal scenario, but she couldn’t imagine herself ending up like her mother. Back to the boy though. “Oh, I know, I’ve been at this whole magic thing my whole life, so I can’t imagine what it’s like for you,” she winced because it sounded a bit patronizing, which was not at all how she meant it, while at the same time, not at all the Beckett way of saying things. The Beckett way would be to show off your knowledge, not imply that you and the inferior person had any common ground.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Asher relaxed a little bit, realizing that the girl wasn't planning on making fun of him or anything for his horribly embarrassing introduction. He tried in vain to wipe some of the ink off of his hands using a cloth he always kept in his pocket while occasionally glancing back up at Anastasia. Although Asher was not naturally organized he had also learned very quickly how to keep clean from his father. Soldiers kept their stations and clothing organized and clean, therefore that was how Asher was going to live too. At the moment his hair was a complete mess, there were ink stains all over him and his eyes were red-rimmed with worry and exhaustion but it was undeniable that his robes were perfectly ironed and apart from recently acquired dust and ink they had been totally clean. Even in his total panicked state, Asher couldn't possibly forget everything he had been taught at home. Even now, when he wanted nothing more than to lean against the wall and relax a bit he stood with his shoulders back and his stance casual while continuing to maintain a rigid edge to it.

Giving her a much less practiced looking smile he chuckled slightly.
"It must be nice. Knowing about all this, are your parents wizards?" He asked with a wistful look on his face. He didn't want parents who were both wizards for the simple reason that he loved both his parents even if only one was a wizard. What he did wish was that he had learned that he was a wizard soon rather than so late. Of course it was no one's fault that it had taken so long for his father Jonas to realize because no one had thought their adopted child was going to be a wizard. But surprise surprise, he was! And now he was here at this amazing, magical, grand school and wishing he was anywhere else.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

"It must be nice. Knowing about all this, are your parents wizards?"
She nodded at the boy's question, her smile becoming a bit warmer than her normal rehearsed, polite one. And my cousins, and my grandparents, and literally all my relatives, she added mentally. The idea amused her for some reason - a girl whose relatives were all wizards and knew nothing outside of the Wizarding World, and a boy who knew nothing of the Wizarding World. "I take it yours aren't?" Watching him trying to clean his clothes reminded her of when she was younger and what a mess she had been, which reminded her of a spell her mother had taught her for if she ever did something along these lines. She motioned to the mess with one hand and pulled out her wand with the other. "Do you mind?" She knew he probably didn’t, but boys and their pride were always a touchy subject, and most of the pureblood boys she knew would be offended by her offer. Pureblood boys rather irritated her. They knew that pureblooded wizards were better than anything else, but they constantly talked about it, which rather irked her. She’d seen a quote somewhere that she thought applied to the situation - Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people, you aren’t. Although, there was a difference in a properly brought up boy and a properly brought up girl. Even now, a proper pureblood girl was generally expected to sit still and look pretty while a boy was expected to do all the interesting things.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Asher paused hesitantly at her question. The question of his heritage was a little bit more complicated than most. But regarding both his biological and non-biological parents, he had one wizard parent.
"No, one of my parents is a wizard. But I didn't know until a few days ago." He responded shortly. To say that he wasn't the slightest bit angry at his father for not revealing his magics abilities would be a lie. Truth was important to Ash, and knowing that his father had lied to his husband grated on his nerves. Even worse, he too was now lying.

When she pulled out her wand he couldn't help but shy away from it. He knew that it was stupid to fear a tiny little stick, but he had already seen some older kids playing around with their wands and he really didn't want to be turned into a frog. When he realized that she wanted to help him with the ink stains all over he offered her a soft smile.
"Oh, that would be great." He breathed out gratefully.

He didn't know what to say to her, but he knew that she didn't want her to go away. She was the only person who had actively decided to talk to him, and having some friends around would be good. Even if she decided not to be friends with him later, it would be nice to have someone who understood everything just for the first few weeks. Searching his mine desperately for a topic of conversation he settled back on the information that both her parents were wizards.
"So does that mean you've never been to the... Muggle... World?" The word muggle stuck in his throat like a strange taste. As far as he was concerned he had spent his entire life as a muggle, and now he was talking as though they were a whole different species. It freaked him out a little bit, although everything here seemed to feel him out.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Anastasia nodded at his reply. Her parents thought that wizards who not only chose to have a child with a muggle, but then raise the child like they were a muggle was nearly as bad as just being a muggleborn. While Anastasia didn't quite know whether she agreed about their vast inferiority, she thought it was rather inconsiderate of the magical parent to do that to their child. That would be like if her parents suddenly forced her into a muggle school. No, she corrected herself, this was probably worse. She knew enough about the Muggle world that she could probably pass for a Muggle if she really tried. For someone like Asher, he had grown up being told that magic wasn't real, and then he was thrown into the Magical World with no connections and very little knowledge about how things worked. His reaction to her pulling out her wand showed that.

When he accepted her offer of help, she grinned, pleased with the chance to show off a bit. Since classes started tomorrow, she was technically ahead a bit, which was always a good thing. "Tergeo," she said, her wand twisting sharply as she said the word. It was a fairly simple charm, but a highly useful one for cleaning up spills and smudges. The spell worked perfectly, siphoning off the messy ink from his robes and papers. His hands were still a bit stained, but no longer dripping. This delighted her since this was the first time she had tried magic at Hogwarts. She put her wand away before looking back at the boy.
So does that mean you've never been to the... Muggle... World?
"Never," she confirmed. "My mother goes out there occasionally for some shopping, but my father's never been and he says he'd rather not have me there just yet." That wasn't exactly what her father had said about the Muggle World, but she couldn't well tell him what her father had said without probably offending him. Her father's exact words on the Muggle World were "Athena, I can't believe you admire the muggle fashions. I would never defile myself by going out into that inferior place, and I certainly hope you'll at least be sensible enough not to bring our daughter." So, not exactly something she wanted to talk about to this boy who had come straight from the Muggle World.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

Asher forced himself not freak out and flinch away from her wand when she pointed it at him. Bravery, bravery, bravery. A soldier doesn't flinch. A solder doesn't show fear. A soldier can't be scared when everyone else is Grimacing Asher let those words ring out in his mind. He hadn't been brave since he he had gotten here and he hadn't followed any of the rules his father had set in their household, emotional or otherwise. A familiar wave of shame swept through him as it always did when he realized that he was never going to be good enough for his father. He was never going to be the perfect little hero. But even though he had accepted that fact, he always kept trying anyways. So, no matter how much he wanted to flinch away, he didn't and later laughed silently at himself for how nervous he had been. All of a sudden the only remaining evidence of his embarrassing accident were a few faint stains on his hands.
"Woah." He murmured in amazement, inspecting his robe and hands with wide eyes. Ash had naturally wide eyes, making him pretty much always have the look of an innocent lamb, which further seen when he was curious or amazed. He hated that about him, that he was sort of... adorable. No one had ever really told him, but he knew by the way adults looked at him that he was cute, or sweet. He didn't believe that he would ever be handsome, just cute. Soldiers were not supposed to be cute.

"I can't believe you've never been to my world." He smiled at her with a spark of curiosity in his eyes. An idea was beginning to form in his mind. An idea that could maybe convince this wizard girl to stay friends with him.
"I have a proposition. What if you help me get used to all this and I show you some cool stuff from the muggle world?" He raised an eyebrow at her and smiled again. He figured if she hadn't been to the muggle world she didn't know about super awesome things like video games, or robotic stuff or things like that. He thought it would be sort of cool to be able to introduce someone to all of those amazing modern things. He had been a little bit taken back by the lack of technology at Hogwarts, although he figured they didn't need any of it. After all, they had magic instead.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

His reaction to the magic was frankly adorable, but Anastasia resisted the urge to tell him that. She somehow knew that he wouldn’t appreciate a girl that he’d just met telling him he was adorable. She could hardly stand it when adults told her that, and she would probably hex another first year for saying that. Anyway, boys were odd about their pride and such. She’d once used that spell to clean up a mess her cousin had made to keep them both out of trouble, and he’d been surprisingly angry about it.

She could picture her father’s face when the boy said he couldn’t believe she’d never been to his world. He would have been so offended at the idea that the boy was implying his daughter was missing out on something while at the same time being equally offended that someone who associated with muggles on purpose even speaking to his daughter, which would probably result in him turning bright red and making everyone leave. It was amusing to her now when he wasn’t here, but when situations like that actually happened, it was more serious. Her father had a fierce temper, and while he’d never hurt Anastasia or her mother at least as far as she knew, he took it out on their house elf and by throwing things at the wall, which always scared her.
"I have a proposition. What if you help me get used to all this and I show you some cool stuff from the muggle world?"
He was speaking her language. While she was interested in making actual friends, it was completely foreign to her and she wasn’t entirely certain how to go about it, this was totally familiar to her. Making sure that each person was clear on the terms of their association was something her father would very much approve of. She also liked his use of the word proposition. She had a rather large vocabulary, but she had gotten some strange looks from other first years at some of the words she’d used, one of them being proposition. “I think that sounds rather intriguing,” she replied, smiling and holding out her hand to shake.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

On the outside, Ash looked totally calm. On the inside he was going something like this "REALLY???? Yes, you did it Asher! I can't believe this. She said it sounded intriguing. Intriguing!!!! While it might not have seemed like a big deal to anyone else, it was a huge deal to Asher. The fact that he now had an ally (he wasn't sure he could call her a friend yet) meant that he wasn't going to have to face all of this alone. He hated doing things alone, feared it in fact, which was not a good thing considering his house. It hadn't taken him long to realize that while studious and creative, Ravenclaw kids didn't make good friends for the most part. The dorms were quiet and most people seemed to have their most loving relationships with their books. Not that Ash minded, he thought it was great that there were other kids so invested in success through knowledge, but he did feel a little bit out of place. Quiet but social, Asher enjoyed the company of others more than anything, even if he had nothing to say.

"I'm glad your intrigued." He answered, showing his excitement only through another small, polite smile. Finally with no ink dripping off of his hands he could finally lean forward and take her offered hand for a handshake. For a slim boy he had a strong handshake that radiated confidence. Confidence he definitely didn't actually have.
"I would guess what house you're in, but I don't know nearly enough about them so you might just have to tell me." He knew that many students wore their house colours on their ties, but it was before classes were starting so many kids weren't wearing their robes. Plus, Ash hadn't figured out how first years were supposed to get the specifically coloured clothing. He was glad that eventually students would start wearing their colours though because he hated guessing what houses people were in by personality. He was actually right most of the time but he didn't like judging people's personalities and then just shoving them into a house category in his mind. Plus, he still didn't believe that the hat was always right. He was sure that he belonged in Hufflepuff, if he belonged anywhere at all. Most of the time he felt like he wouldn't fit into any of the houses. Really he just wanted to go home back when he didn't have to be intelligent or brave or loyal or ambitious. Of course, he did actually have to be all those things when he was at home with his father Alex, but he just didn't realize it.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

He had a surprisingly strong handshake, considering what she knew of him and his demeanor. She had a decent handshake, but not a particularly strong one, as her mother thought it was not at all lady like.
"I would guess what house you're in, but I don't know nearly enough about them so you might just have to tell me.”
That was smart of him to ask rathe than guess because people could be very touchy about that. For instance, most of the people she knew would horribly offended if you suggested anything other than Slytherin, especially Hufflepuff. They hated Gryffindor with a passion, because it was “the muggle loving house”, and ending up there usually made them think that you were a rebel, but ending up in Hufflepuff made them think that you were an utter failure. Ravenclaw was alright, but Slytherin was really the only house for a proper pureblood. According to her parents and their friends at least. She had always just agreed without putting much thought into it, but so far, she had seen absolutely nothing to confirm their ideas. “I’m in Gryffindor. What about you?” she replied. She still didn’t feel as though Gryffindor fit her right, but for now at least, she was open to learn new things and have her opinions about the houses changed.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

"Ravenclaw. Not sure why honestly." He admitted, resisting the urge to shrug. His father had always told him that shrugging was unprofessional and too casual. He raked through his tired brain to try and remember a little bit about her house. He remembered vaguely that they were the brave ones. Confident, competitive and noble. At least that's what he had seen so far from the other kids and the sorting hat explanation. That was the dream house for Ash. He knew that had his father been a wizard, he definitely would have been in Gryffindor. Any good soldier would have been in that house, right? That only further made Asher wish he was anything other than a Ravenclaw. It sounded like even the Slytherin house would be better for a soldier. No soldier got to be a hero by reading books (or at least that's what he thought). Even though he felt out of place in his house, he thought that Anastasia was perfect for her house. She radiated an aura of confidence and surety that could only be found in students of a house that represented those exact traits.

"If you don't mine me asking. You most obviously weren't lost, so were you just exploring?" He asked curiously, trying to get to know her a little bit better. His father had always taught him to learn as much as he possibly could about his friends, and his enemies. The habit was totally unconscious and it meant he usually ended up asking a lot of questions. Again he wanted to make sure that Anastasia was actually a good person though before considering her a friend.

Lost  PV   Asher Owens 

She nodded again at his house. She had thought he was either that or a Hufflepuff. She knew he wasn't a Gryffindor since she would have remember his face a bit better. He probably wouldn't have been a Slytherin, since he wasn't a Pureblood, although this year, the bloody Hat had put severl Muggle Borns in Slytherin, so it wasn't impossible, but he didn't seem like the type. She could also tell that he, like her, wasn't entirely pleased about his placement. "Nobody understands the Hat's decisions expect maybe the Hat, and I'm not completely certain about that," she said, only half joking. The stupid thing had been so argumentative and she was fairly certain it had placed her in Gryffindor just to spite her for her insistence on Slytherin and possibly her mental cussing it out. Alright, that second one was extremely Gryffindor of her, but still.
"If you don't mine me asking. You most obviously weren't lost, so were you just exploring?"
"Not at all," she said, smiling warmly. She could tell he was trying to get a bit more information about her, which she found interesting. She herself did the exact same thing, but most of the people her age didn't. "I was trying to get a bearings so I don't get too lost tomorrow. Not that it'll actually help that much." She laughed a bit at her last words, since everyone knew them to be true. The stupid castle would change itself constantly and it often didn't even make sense how, even to someone who had grown up with magic.

Back