Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

Corridor Happenings  Finished 

Muriel was exploring the humongous castle of Hogwarts, trying to create a mental map of the building in hopes of figuring out what paths she could take to her many classes. She’d decided to explore the corridors and see what halls led to what doors, and therefore what doors led to what rooms. However, every few minutes she caught herself zoning out instead of focusing on the task at hand. Come on Muriel! This is no time for daydreaming! You need to do this so you’re prepared to not be late to any of your classes, remember!? But just a few minutes after her mental lecture to herself, she began thinking about each of her classes, wondering which would be difficult, and which would be easy; which would be boring, and which would be fun.

And once again, she’d snapped back to reality when she found herself in a room she hadn’t seen before. It looked like a classroom, with its many desks, books, and a blackboard, but appeared to be empty as for now. Frustrated that her daydreaming had made her wander and get lost again, she cracked open the door and peered back out into the corridors, making sure no teachers were coming by in case she’d get in trouble.
Last edited by Muriel Carroll on 24th July 2018, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stamina: 8; Agility: 8; Strength: 5; Control: 9

Bella had been wandering aimlessly through the corridors, lost in thought about the new book that Felix had sent her. Aforementioned book rested at the bottom of a pile (4 books high) that Bella was carrying with her.

The corridor was empty besides for her so she was shocked to say the least when a door she was about to walk past opened right in front of her. It made her jump only a little but that action alone was enough for her to trip over her own feet as she stepped backwards and send her books flying to the floor. She narrowly avoided smacking her head on a statue behind her but the wall could not be easily dodged, being a rather large, immovable, extremely solid part of the building.

"Oww," Bella groaned as she rubbed the back of her head. Trying to see what had caused the door to open, probably Peeves, she thought angrily, Bella was embarrassed to see a pair of eyes looking out from the door into the corridor beyond.
Great, she thought not only did I just smack my head off a wall and throw my books everywhere. But now somebody has seen he do it as well. Doesn't this day just keep getting better!

Z. Bella Chastain - Always ~ Severus Snape

Muriel froze as something hit the door she’d just opened. A second later, a series of thumps told her that something had fallen to the floor. Opening the door wider and stepping out from the room, she saw that a girl looking no older than herself was on the floor, along with some books, rubbing her head. It didn’t take her long to put two and two together and realize what she’d done.

“I am so, so sorry!” Muriel shakily said with an apologetic, concerned face. She quickly began gathering the books scattered across the floor and stared at the girl once more, wondering how hard she’d fallen. How bad was her head injury? Was it bruised? Scratched? Maybe even broken? Was she mad at her and ready to run off and tell one of the staff members?

All these thoughts whirling around Muriel’s head made her feel even worse until she couldn’t help but ask, “D-Do you need to go to the hospital wing?” Maybe if she went with her, she could explain to the nurse that it was all an accident. But even then, would she still get punished? Would the girl ever forgive her?

Good going Muriel, your daydreaming surely has done it this time, she thought as she internally punished herself and anxiously awaited the girl’s reaction.

Looking up upon hearing a shaky voice, Bella saw the person who had been behind the door. She was apologising and attempting to help Bella pick up her books from the ground. Bella sat on her knees and gathered the last books, her head giving a painful twinge at the movement. The girl didn't appear to be much older than Bella and she could tell, from her robes, that she was a ravenclaw. Although Bella was a little annoyed about the possible concussion she would have now, it was an obvious accident and she knew that being mean or rude about it was only going to lose her a potential friend.

"D-Do you need to go to the hospital wing?" the girl had asked shakily. Bella put her hand to the back of her head again, making sure there was no blood, and shook her head a little.
"No, I'll be fine, hurts a little, but I've done worse," Not wanting the conversation to get awkward or to make the girl feel like Bella was annoyed still she held out her hand; "I'm Bella," she spoke with a warm smile.

Who knew, maybe this could be the start of a friendship, she thought you always seem to meet people in the weirdest situations in this place!

Relief flooded over Muriel as she watched the girl move around and seem not too angry at her; she even smiled! Handing her the few books she gathered, she timidly smiled back at her. “I’m Muriel, you’re from Gryffindor right?” She asked while helping her up, now noticing the scarlet and gold she was wearing. She hadn’t had much time to actually meet people from the other houses, let alone have the courage to even approach them. But Bella seemed rather nice, considering she’d just taken a nasty fall because of her. 

Guilt still rushed through her as she thought about the whole thing. “A-Are you sure you’re okay? I could ask the nurse if she has any Bruise Removal Paste... or maybe Burning Bitterroot Balm... wait, maybe Chelidonium Miniscula... no Dr. Ubbly’s Oblivious Unction would be better...” She began to ramble on and on, trying to figure out what potion would be best, but then stopped herself and froze awkwardly. She didn’t want to sound crazy or annoying, that would be a horrible first impression. But would if she already doesn’t like me? Would if she’s just politely tolerating me and waiting to get away? She shook her head, washing out the thoughts before starting again. “I don’t want something even worse to happen to you because of something I did.” Hopefully that came out right.

Bella giggled silently to herself as Muriel started to ramble on about all of the potions she could take to make sure she was ok. Normally it was Bella that was doing the rambling and talking far too much when feeling awkward or shy. But she didn't want this girl too feel awkward, what kind of friendship would that be.

"Yeh, I'm in Gryffindor ..." Bella was going to say more on the subject but didn't feel like spilling her family history to a girl she had just me. "And honestly, I'm ok. I've had worse bumps from falling out of bed, which is something that happens more frequently than I would truthfully care to admit," Bella laughed broadly at her own misfortune and hoped that it would lighten the mood and encourage Muriel not to be shy around her.

At the beginning Bella was far too shy to speak to anybody but now after a few good encounters, and some not so good ones but she wasn't going to go into that right now either, she felt like the people in this school that she would be with for the next 7 years were not people to be scared of talking to.

Muriel couldn’t help but laugh at loud at Bella’s next statement. She laughed for a solid minute before forcing herself to stop due to the pain forming in her abs. “I’m sorry, I’m laughing with you, not at you. I too have had embarrassing moments happen to me... like falling into a river.” She said, glad to have something in common with the Gryffindor girl, along with her seeming truly fine. 

To be honest, Muriel would’ve never imagined that she’d make her first friend by causing them to trip and fall, but looking at the other options, this one seemed pretty good. She'd always been the shy type - the type that refused to speak unless spoken to - so unless a person had chosen to approach her, she wouldn't of gotten really far when it came to socializing. But it seemed that Bella was kind of the same way, maybe

Not wanting to let the conversation die, she continued with a question of her own. "...Have you been to any classes yet? If so, which ones did you like?" Her voice had shifted from shaky and fearful to more of a curious tone, genuinely wondering what the schooling-system was like at Hogwarts. Hopefully that didn't sound so random...

Muriel had been laughing uncontrollably at Bella's previous statement, and Bella couldn't help but laugh along too. She laughed even more when Muriel said that she had fallen into a river. They seemed to be getting along very well and Bella was surprised that she would feel so comfortable with somebody that she had just met.

Once the laughter had died down, Muriel had asked "Have you been to any classes yet, if so which ones do you like?" Bella thought about it for a moment or two before answering.
"Well I really enjoy charms, I got an O on the first homework which was awesome, and the same for potions. But I think my all time favourite would have to be defense against the dark arts. I feel like it would be the most useful for real life ya'know?" Bella was interested to know the same of Muriel but realised that they were still stood in the middle of the corridor and should probably move before someone, especially a professor, came through here.

"We should probably keep walking, we're probably not supposed to be here at this time and I don't really fancy going to a detention" as they began walking she added "Which lesson is your favourite?"

Muriel had listened intently to Bella's answer as she followed her down the hall, shocked at how similar it was to her own opinion. "Wow, really!? I highly enjoy Charms and Potions too! Though the professors haven't graded my homework yet, so I'm not sure how good I'm at them yet." She answered back. "Those are the only two classes I've had so far, but Defense Against the Dark Arts does sound practical. ...I bet there are really good jobs for people who are good at it too." She added, remembering how her mother had told her about the many careers available once she would graduate.

As they continued down the hall, Bella had asked the same question to her, so Muriel took a minute to think, trying to figure out the best words. "Well... I know I haven't taken it yet, but I'm really looking forward to Herbology as my favourite lesson. Though 'favourite' might not be exactly accurate yet... but I want it to be my favourite! I used to help my father care for his greenhouse, so I know about some plants already, and really want to learn about more of them, especially magical ones!" She finally said, hoping her answer didn't sound as strange as she thought.

Reducio
OOC: I'm going to be really busy for the next two days, so I might not be able to get on during that time. Sorry in advance!  :sweatingbullets:  

Reducio
That's ok :)

The two girls had similar interests, it would seem, and Bella was grateful for it. She even thought that the two could very well become good friends. In response to the first thing that Muriel had said, Bella replied;
"There are tons of jobs for people after we graduate anyway but if you're good at things like defense against the dark arts it really opens it up. My brother Felix was telling me that he even needed to use it sometimes, and he works in the department of regulation of magical creatures! But I suppose they are all useful. Like, you would need potions if you wanted to become an auror,"

Continuing, Bella thought about Herbology. It would seem that not all of their opinions would match. But that was a good thing she supposed; a friendship would be boring if you agreed all of the time.
"I'm not a fan of Herbology. I just think it's a little boring. Plants have never really interested me, normal or magical. But I guess it has it's uses," She smiled thoughtfully at Muriel, unsure of where to take the conversation now, but not wanting it to end.

"This place is weird, huh? Everything moves and it's almost like the castle is alive or that it can hear you. It's strange because I was thinking to myself earlier that I should get out there and start making more friends, and then you opened that door onto my face" Bella giggled at that, despite the dull thud she could still feel "And now here we are,"

Muriel listened to Bella talk about different jobs and became absorbed in her short story about her brother. "That's so cool that you have a brother that works for the Ministry of Magic! I bet his life must be really exciting!" She exclaimed with a spark in her eyes, along with her mind running wild on all the possible adventures a ministry employee might encounter. As for her opinion on Herbology, Muriel simply shrugged; it was true that the topic could get a bit tedious, but she still enjoyed it nevertheless. 

"Mhm, the moving pictures especially freaked me out when I first got here, but it turns out most of them were probably mixed with a potion called a 'Developing Solution' I read about in one of my textbooks." She replied, following Bella's change of subject. As for her comment about the door incident, Muriel laughed nervously with her. "Ya... I still feel really bad for doing that, but it must've been fate or something, because one of my main goals coming here was to make a friend too, and then you came along." She answered back with a genuine and warmer smile on her face. 

Muriel was in fact very happy to be having a good conversation, let alone actually talking, with a new face. Sure, the small town she grew up in had nice neighbors, but for a long time there was never anyone her age to hang out with. Along with all the misadventures she'd had, her parents even persuaded her to stay near home, which caused her to stay in her shell and never get out. But now, perhaps things could change for the better.

"I wonder what other secrets this castle is hiding... there must be so many considering its size and history. Maybe we could stumble onto something one of these days! Like a new secret passage or room! Or maybe..." She continued rambling about the subject until she suddenly gasped aloud and got the same spark in her eye again. "Have you ever wondered what's in the Forbidden Forest?" She asked curiously.  

"That's so cool that you have a brother that works for the Ministry of Magic!" Bella nodded in agreement, it was rather exciting.
"Most of my family work there. One of my other brothers works as an auror and my sister is in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement," Bella spoke fondly about her siblings. She added as an after thought "I've got quite a lot of siblings,"

Bella had also read that pictures came alive through developing solution while studying for potions homework. It was crazy how things like that worked and that muggles have absolutely no idea about it either. When Muriel mentioned feeling guilty about the door incident Bella gave a small laugh and brushed it off. It really wasn't a big deal for her. She had received worse injuries walking down these moving staircases. How has nobody died on those yet. And who would the family sue if they did? Bella shook her head at the pointless thought track she had gone down and returned to the conversation.

"Have you ever wondered what's in the Forbidden Forrest?" Muriel had asked, gleaming with curiosity. Bella had only given brief thought to the Forbidden Forrest so far, having so many things still in the castle and the grounds they were allowed to be on to explore. But when she did think about it, it was very interesting.
"I'm not sure. I've heard a lot of stories but you can never know which ones are true. I know its all 'forbidden' and everything but I would love to explore it one day. Apparently there's supposed to be Centaurs in there,"

"They all sound really successful. It must be nice having siblings to look up to like that..." Muriel had commented before trailing off. Unfortunately, she didn't have many well-known relatives, let alone ones that she knew had anything interesting about them. Not wanting to ruin the mood however, she took interest in Bella's answer about the forest.

"Centaurs...?" She repeated mostly to herself, trying to recall anything she knew about the creatures. "They're very respectable creatures right? I've read that they're skilled in healing, divination, and astronomy. And they live in forest? That's amazing!"  She answered back, her mind racing even faster now. They could teach us so much! If only the Forbidden Forest wasn't forbidden!

"...Are you going to work for the Ministry of Magic too when you graduate?" Muriel blurted suddenly, still wondering about Bella's previous statement. She wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't sure yet as they were both still only First Years, but she couldn't help but ask anyway. She was also somewhat interested in all the different departments mentioned by Bella; she never knew the ministry was divided into sections like that. Maybe that's how they handle all the work that comes their way. 

Bella felt slightly awkward when Muriel trailed off but the sheer curiosity and excitement that bounced off her in waves when she spoke about the centaurs suitably distracted her.
"Yeah. Well that's what I've heard anyway. I've obviously not been in there yet, though I would like too," The Forbidden Forrest seemed to be quite a big deal amongst the older years and Bella was sure that it would be the kind of fun that would suit her perfectly. So much to explore and so many potential adventures she wouldn't want to miss. She made it her mission that she would go there one day.

"Are you going to work for the Ministry of Magic too when you graduate?" Bella thought about the question. Truthfully she wasn't sure what she wanted to do. She had thought about it but never anything serious and, being so young still, she wasn't really sure what she was truly good at yet when it came to magic.
"I don't know. Maybe. I mean there is so much to do there, there are so many options. I reckon that anyone would be able to find something in that place that interests them. But I don't think I will ever really be sure what I want to do when I graduate until I get out there and experience it ya know? What about you anyway? What do you want to do when you're older?"

"Me too! I hope what you heard was right, it'd be really interesting to meet a Centaur one day, or any magical creature in that matter! Though I'd still be a bit cautious in case the forest has any other creatures that are aggressive towards humans." Muriel added briefly while waiting for her to answer her other question. As predicted, Bella wasn't sure what she was going to do, but her answer did make her think of hew own when the question was thrown back at her.

"Well, I was thinking to go into healing once I graduate. My mother is a Healer at St. Mungo's, and I was thinking to follow in her footsteps since I do like the idea of helping those who are hurt. But I haven't even taken my first Herbology lesson yet, let alone all the other classes needed to become one, so I'm not even sure if I'll be good at healing. Maybe I'll just take it slow for now until I know my strengths and then choose for sure later." She said, realizing how much of a better of a plan that was once she thought about it.

Perhaps Muriel was thinking too much about the future; Hogwarts was supposed to be a place for learning. And now the talk she was having with Bella seemed to lift off a ton of stress she didn't even know she was carrying. "For now, I guess the fun is figuring out what we're truly good at!" She concluded as she did a quick twirl of happiness.

Back