Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

History Notes  PV Reid Kovacs   Finished 

After the last class of the day, Dymphna gathered all of her books and supplies into her knapsack. The last lesson hadn't been too challenging but she could already tell that it would be something she would study to perfect. By the time she made it out of the classroom, the corridor wasn't too crowded so she was able to spot the familiar face easily. "Reid," she called out, digging into her bag for the notes as she made her way over to him. "Did you find your last class without any trouble?" 

The school was huge. The staircases liked to change. Without a map, it almost seemed impossible to navigate from one class to the other. She was thankful that her father was able to take her around on a tour a few months prior when he was working on something for the Astronomy professor. Without him, she might have been late to all of her classes. What a horrible thought! 

Finally, she found out the History notes that she promised Reid. "Borrow them for as long as you need. I'm thinking of starting a study group if you'd like to join. It wouldn't hurt to get a head start on our studies." Holding out the History notes to him, she added with a put out expression, "I don't think I'm going to be very good at Potions."
Last edited by Bloom Silverton on 25th February 2018, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague
Str:3; Agi: 15; Con:11; Sta: 6

The Hufflepuff pulled the reading glasses from his face as he made his way down the corridor, carrying only a book and some other essentials. His hair was a little out of place, possibly in a bit of a hurry to get someplace. At this rate he'll get a nickname with how frantic he always seemed to be. He fixed his tie and cardigan before looking up to the person who called his name. It was the student who offered her notes, 'Dymphna'. The boy shot her a crooked smile and met her halfway in stride, "To be honest, sort of. I still forget where to turn to get to the Herbology greenhouse, but I think I'll get it once I start remembering these corridors." 

The sorting hat didn't lie, always trust Ravenclaws to be ahead of things. The glasses previously in his hand were sat back on the bridge of his nose again. "You saved me countless nights of worrying." he awed, taking the notes. He protectively tucked them in a leather folder he used to keep his papers in, before tucking them under his arm. "And you said uh ... study group, I'd be happy to join. I'm not doing any good at potions either, plus I was getting mixed up in charms class the other day." Reid mused. He also moved to the side so he wasn't blocking any of the students tunneling through the corridor.

She seemed like she had a hang of her academics more than she did, maybe she could help. Whoever also comes to the study group could possibly help him. "I couldn't master the unlocking spell ..." What was it again? He glanced up before snapping his finger when it came to him. "Aloe-hammer. It was something of the sort." Maybe by the coming weeks, he'll be able to give others a few pointers.

sic parvis magna.
STA: 3, AGL: 5, STR: 9, CTL: 4, AP: 3, ACC: 6

Dymphna grinned at his reply, handing him the parchment. Her notes were organized, detailed, perhaps too detailed at times and written in her neat handwriting. She was a perfectionist and while it could affect her anxiety, it came in handy in academics. "My friends call me Dymph by the way, like Nymph with a D." She held her hand out for a shake, hoping she wasn't blushing at the thought of holding hands with a boy. They still had cooties, right? 

The Ravenclaw cleared her throat, "It's the classes in the corridors you have to worry about. At least you know Herbology is in the greenhouses. I've gotten lost a time or two, meaning to be on a different floor altogether." She watched as Reid tucked the notes safely away. "It's not a problem," Dymphna didn't mind helping out and hoped that she could make a good impression on her fellow students. She moved to the side of the corridor with him, leaning against the wall as they talked. 

"How do you feel about a weekend study group?" Of course, she would fit in time for exploring and having fun too. It was important to her to have balance -- where she made time for studying and doing things that made her soul happy as well. Oh, the unlocking spell! Dymphna had been forbidden from using spells at home. She may be a Pureblood but her parents believed in hardwork, even if the hardwork meant cleaning the house and other mundane chores without the help from spells. She bit her lip to hide a smile at his mistake, "Alohomora," she corrected gently. It was an easy mistake to make, mispronouncing the words. He would get the hang of it eventually.

"Did you grow up knowing about magic?" She wondered, knowing that many of the students at Hogwarts had one or both muggle parents. "Sorry for prying, not everyone's comfortable talking about life at home." Not everyone had nice, loving parents like she did. A few of her muggle friends at her school before Hogwarts seemed to have a rough home life. It made her sad but she was there to listen and lean on. Plus there seemed to be a prejudice among many Pureblood families that those without pure blood weren't worth anyone's time. The Teague's thought otherwise.

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague

There wasn't hesitation in shaking her hand, but he was mindful of how he shook her hand. It was the little things that he tended to forget, that sometimes landed up in odd situations. If he didn't remember he was at school and not with his dad, he would've shaken her hand in the same manner his dad did. All her friends called her 'Dymph'? He wondered if that meant he was or could become one of her friends? It was a little ridiculous how it seemed like he's never interacted with other people before. But didn't make a comment to it, just to spare her the embarrassment just in case.  

He wasn't about to give his academic savior a red hand from his grip. His hand slipped back down to his side and nodded along as she spoke. "How do you feel about a weekend study group?" The weekend sounded more than perfect, he didn't know anyone much to be invited anywhere else. Plus, what better way to spend it than to get ahead? At least he wouldn't have to worry about it later. The young wizard made an 'OK' hand gesture, "Weekends are absolutely perfect for me. Also, I'm really glad you said your name before I got the chance to butcher it."

Her correction of his spell brought a faint smile to Reid's features, that's right. He glanced briefly to the other students moving about the halls before turning back to her question. "Well ..." He didn't seem particularly uncomfortable with the question, he seemed as if he was trying to give her the best answer he could. "Not at all." he said bluntly. "It wasn't that my parents went about it badly, I suppose they weren't sure whether it would be best for me."

Reid scratched his cheek with a finger, "I really didn't learn about magic till a little less than a year ago." He felt a little silly for being so 'new' to all of this, especially to a Ravenclaw. After all, the house valued intelligence highly and his ignorance made the tips of his ears a little pink. At least he didn't act like an oaf. "I'm still learning about the magical world, so prepare for me to be genuinely amazed every time you or someone makes a feather float." he meekly joked.

sic parvis magna.

The Ravenclaw was quick to pull her hand away, now that proper introductions were out of the way. She wouldn't have been offended if he had butchered her name, as many others had in the past but the nickname did made it a little easier, or so she thought. "Saturday at three? That way we can have it between lunch and supper." She would have to invite a few others, perhaps post it up in the bulletin board and see who would show up. Hopefully there were others like them who would want to get a head start on their education.

"Is Reid a Scottish name?" Dymphna asked, unsure if it was true by his looks. He didn't look like a stereotypical Scot but she supposed she didn't look like the stereotypical Irish lass either, not with her mother's Veela genes. She sure sounded Irish though, much to her dismay but he sounded like a typical English gent in her opinion. It was refreshing. No matter how much she loved her small Irish town and the folks that lived there, she felt very cultured going to a school with such a diverse group. 

It was something that she wondered, what it was like to adjust coming from a muggle home to Hogwarts. She noticed that he seemed a bit embarrassed but didn't dare comment on it, knowing that she wouldn't want someone making a big deal out of her own embarrassment. A smile spread across her face, "That's alright. I'm not new to the magical world but I'm learning just as you are. Still, if you have any questions, I don't mind answering them for you. I went to a muggle school before coming here." Which didn't seem to be the norm when it came to most Pureblood families. She knew many who had governesses' that taught them from home. Thankfully, her family seemed to value socializing within an academic setting.

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague

A part of him was aware that she could tell his discomfort and it made him respect the students here a little more than the ones back in Derby. Back at the academy, it seemed like a spitfire roast if you didn't know something. Yet people here so far seemed to have a little more patience and humility than most, it made him ease around Dymphna and most likely will ease him later on. His posture relaxed, shoulders sagging as he also leaned against the wall next to her.

He hasn't listened to Irish folk a lot in the past, so the Hufflepuff seemed to pay close attention to what she was saying. It would be easy to miss something if he didn't. He'd nod his head as she spoke, "Saturday at three it is, I'll be there sharp with your notes in hand. Also, Reid is a Scottish name, I think I'm named after my great great grandfather Reid Bolton." Part of him liked his mother's maiden name more, sometimes it was odd in how his last name was pronounced. It was usually pronounced 'Co-vak-s', yet he was always question for his honesty when he would pronounce it 'Co-va-ch'. 

Not only that, he was an English lad with a Scottish first name and a Slavic last name. "Is your family uh ..." What was the term that students use? Full blood? Something blood, he needed to pay attention more. He tended to be animated with how he spoke, causing him to roll his hand a little. "Are your family all purebloods, Dymph?" He quickly added, "If you don't mind me asking that is." He would hear mixed reactions about purebloods, he wasn't always sure who or what to believe.

sic parvis magna.

Being one-eighth Veela certainly hadn't helped her relationship with a few of the students back at her old school but at least at Hogwarts, it was much easier to understand. There wasn't too much to being a Veela, not so far down the line but she had witnessed her grandmother get angry a time or two, easily showing off the features that she was glad not to have inherited. Even her mother didn't seem to have too much trouble with her job, only having a patient claim love once a year or so. She didn't see how her grandmother dealt with it or her great-grandmother before her. She wished that she was still around to ask. It seemed a tricky topic to talk about to just anyone.

"There's no rush. I'd like to study them on Saturday but if you need to borrow them again afterwards, it won't be a problem," Dymphna shrugged, clearly not bothered or in any hurry to have the notes back. There were many subjects she could study for until then. "Sorry if it was a bit strange to ask. My granny's a genealogist." As if that explained everything. Really, she was just too curious for her own good.

Waiting patiently for Reid to find the words, she was quite sure that she knew what he was going to ask. She grinned at the use of her nickname. Oh, thank Heavens it seemed to have stuck! "It's alright. I don't mind. We are. Uh, I am." There had been talk that they hadn't always been so accepting but for as long as Dymphna could remember, her family had been accepting of all blood status'. She wondered how much her new acquaintance knew about it all. Not much, she guessed. "Not all Pureblood families are nice," she frowned, hoping that he hadn't faced discrimination already because of it.

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague

She was truly a patient soul, he was silently grateful for that. A part of him was concerned that he wouldn't finish by Saturday, but it was good to know he could possibly borrow it for later. Her grandmother was a genealogist? She'd probably question him if he told her his last name then. But the question of blood heritage was what he was more interested in. The talk of Pureblood status seemed to carry its own stigma just like his own 'muggle-born' status. It wasn't too big of a surprise to learn she was of Pureblood status, he had begun to guesstimate who was who.

There were evenings where he spent his free time people watching, listening to the conversations while he worked on homework or studied. Maybe that's why he was falling behind on studies sometimes! A soft chuckle escaped the young wizard's lips, "That's what I've been hearing too from other students. It's really nice to know you're not like that." It was a genuine statement of his, one of his fears was facing some backlash after he learned the muggle-born - Pureblood dynamic.

So to run into someone as nice as Dymphna was something he wasn't expecting till later. In some ways, he was a little discriminating of the Purebloods too. He should be wary. "When is your next class? I don't want to make you late if I'm holding you up." he asked with a weary smile. These students weren't just rushing for no reason, he'd hate to keep her from getting to her next class. He had nowhere to be anytime soon, it was all a matter of simply biding his time.

sic parvis magna.

Dymphna was already planning the order in which to study for classes. It seemed best to start with the hardest subject first. Potions would be the death of her. No wonder she wasn't any good at cooking either. Unfortunately, she would need a N.E.W.T. level Potions to pursue a career as a Healer. With a sigh, she decided it best to start with Potions, even if it would drive her mad to not go in order of the schedule. Ah well, there was always Saturday to brush up on anything she didn't feel confident in.

At his compliment, she gave him a small smile, "Well, if anyone bullies you about it, tell someone." Surely they would at least get a detention for being mean. She hated the thought that a potential friend would be picked on for something that he couldn't control. Hm, friend? Maybe. There was definitely potential. He was kind and funny, and seemed to want to get ahead on his academics. Maybe they could grow closer through study group.

The mention of classes startled her a bit but she gave a nervous laugh when she remembered. "It's alright. I don't have another class until tomorrow morning. Though I think it'll be time for supper in another hour." She glanced around the corridors, noticing that some of the other students seemed to be in a hurry. Just because she didn't have anywhere she needed to be didn't mean that he didn't need to go, "Do you have somewhere you need to be? I don't want you to be late because of me."

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague

A brief smile flashed across the first year's features, so they seemed to be in similar situations. Reid shakes his head to answer her question, "Like you, I have no place to be any time soon. You're stuck with me for a little bit more." The Hufflepuff pulls his glasses off, folding them to hang them off the collar of his cardigan. Since she mentioned supper wouldn't until be in another hour, he hoped she wouldn't mind hanging out with him still. If she did, he assumed she'd be the type of person to say otherwise. He usually parted with most of the people he's met during supper, everyone had their house table to sit in. If she did decide to go, at least he might be able to get to know her more during the study group.

"I think my Defense Against the Dark Arts class is tomorrow, right now I'm really just exploring parts of the school. Well, I'm exploring the ones I'm allowed to." he said with a coy grin. He was also interested in some other extra-curricular things the school offered. There was some papers mentioning a dueling club, but he was a little intimidated by it. He still needed to get a hang of spells, he was starting to feel more at home in this world.

"I'm interested in the clubs and sports too actually, people were telling me all about Quidditch. It looks fantastic, a little dangerous though I would say." he chuckled. The boy tilted his head slightly, leaning it against the wall as he talked to Dymphna. Maybe she was interested in something outside of the academics? "Are you interested in any of the clubs? The only one I know of is the dueling one on the fourth floor."

sic parvis magna.

Dymphna didn't feel at all stuck. It was refreshing to spend time with someone one on one. Not that she didn't enjoy chatting with the girls in her common room but it was easy to talk over one another and start gossip instead of talking about things that really mattered. Academics mattered. Making friends mattered. Gossip about which professors would make a good relationship just didn't interest her. At this point in her life, relationships weren't even on her radar. She was much too young to feel much of anything about boys other than embarrassment (for which she had a hard time figuring out why) and how they still probably had cooties.

They had History of Magic together and she wondered if they would end up having more than that. It seemed that whoever came up with their schedules liked to pair Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff houses specifically for classes. "Exploring sounds fun. I haven't done too much of that yet. Have you found anything interesting?" She thought that a lot around the castle was fascinating but she had only read about most of it -- besides the staircases changing, she experienced that herself already. 

Quidditch seemed too dangerous for her but Dymphna had no problem going to matches to support her house and friends. "Are you thinking about trying for Quidditch next year?" She wasn't too interested in sports in general or being on a broom for that matter. "I've heard about the Dueling club. It would be useful to practice spells." Maybe they could practice together sometime. "I'm thinking of joining the Astronomy and Book clubs." She loved both too much to pick one over the other but she hadn't even thought of looking into music or choir yet.

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague

It was a good question, but he wasn't so sure of his abilities just yet. Flying class went smoothly, but that didn't mean he would be able to fathom being thousands of feet in the air. Not only that, depending on what position he was in - he could be dealing with quite an aggressive flying ball. Reid nodded at the mention of a book club, he expected that in some ways. Reid flashed a small smile, "Book club and Astronomy sound wonderfully safe, you won't get knocked around by a ball or knocked unconscious by a spell."

His parents surely would have rather he do something akin to Astronomy and embrace academic clubs, yet he was inclined to do the opposite. There was a good chance that it was out of his lack of thrill so far, this seemed like the best way to achieve it. "I might try out for Quidditch next year. But should I? I don't even know what they're looking for in players." he nervously chuckled.

On top of that, would he even deliver or contribute. Reid supposed there was always his third and other oncoming years to try out then. Besides, he wasn't exactly in any rush right now. What was he out to prove? The young boy was just focused on representing his house well, yet Quidditch could easily be that added representation.

"But before I start getting over my head, I suppose I better focus on my classes first. I'm a day or so behind on some work because I've been trying to finish a letter for back home." He clicked his tongue as he shook his head, remembering the hours he spent scribbling on paper. "I have this terrible pile of crumpled paper in the boy's dormitory and I'm pretty sure my dorm mates are annoyed with it." he sighed amusingly. 

He wondered if she's written to her folks yet, some took straight to the paper after they were sorted. It took him a while to figure out what to actually say to them, but he doubt if would contain anything other than good news. This was good news right here, finding someone to help him and possibly befriending someone in the process. In the near future however, he hoped he could do the same with Dymphna somehow.

sic parvis magna.

Flying was not at all something Dymphna was good at. She had been on a broom before Hogwarts with help from her parents but it had been a struggle then and she continued to struggle during class. Quidditch didn't seem to be something she could do even if she wanted to. "Safe, huh?" Maybe she was playing it too safe. Not that being in danger was fun but shouldn't she step out of her comfort zone sometimes? "If I can fit Dueling club into my schedule, I might join." She could learn a thing or two about using spells with others rather than on objects, as class was currently teaching. "Maybe we'll see each other in clubs too."

Dymphna shrugged, "I don't see why not. Until then, you could study up on the rules and attend matches. There's professional Quidditch teams, you know?" They were young. She didn't think that they needed to know what careers they were going for but then again, she looked up to her mom and thought about becoming a Healer once she graduated. It wasn't set in stone and she didn't think about it too much, focusing more on the present than the future. "Uh oh. Whatever you don't finish, bring to study group. I'll try to help you." She was all caught up on her work, besides one paper that she was writing for a homework assignment.

Her parents had already been informed of her sorting, her mom's alumni house and she was awaiting a reply from them. Maybe she could write again before they responded, asking their opinions on what clubs she should join, or what made them decide to join the clubs that they did. She knew that her dad had only joined Astronomy club but she couldn't remember what her mom had told her, since she had joined so many. Probably too many seeing as there were so many hours in the day. "What do your parents do?" It seemed that adults cared a lot about the question as it was one of the first ones she was asked by strangers.

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague

Now that was something he wanted to see, Dymphna in the Dueling Club. His assumption is that she'd be pretty good at it, someone who could get a hang of stuns and jinxes. Maybe he'd ask her to practice some of that at their study group. For a boy his age, he had a strong affinity for doing dangerous things when he had the chance. But he tried to listen to his mother's voice of reason every now and then.

"My dad is a chef at a restaurant and my mum is a schoolteacher actually." he smiled. He actually learned how to cook a little from his dad, he just wished he had the academic gusto his mum had. What about her parents? What did pureblood parents do for a living? He was suddenly fascinated by the professions of witches and wizards in this magical world. He quickly asked, "What do your parents do?"

Maybe they were high elite wizards? His imagination went a little rampant with the thought, but it was worse earlier. His hand came up to scratch his arm, nearly dropping his folder and book. Reid quickly caught it and flashed a slight smile as he readjusted himself against the wall. Deciding to take advantage of their time, he wanted to ask Dymphna about the wizarding world a bit more.

"What kind of jobs do you get after Hogwarts? Like do you get jobs that muggles don't normally get?"
He knew his mother's family worked in a place called the Ministry of Magic, but he doubt that was the only job you could get. The Aurors of his family interested him heavily, but he was told of how brilliant and elite they were as wizards and witches. Could he ever be someone like that? Possibly. With the help of people like Dymphna, maybe.

sic parvis magna.

Reid talking about his parents made her think of her own family. What were they doing without her there? Her mom was probably working as much as possible. She loved her work and seemed to throw herself into it whenever stressed -- and sending their only child off to school far away seemed stressful. If she ever had kids, would she miss her kids as much as she missed her family right now? 

"Two of my favorite things: food and learning." Dymphna joked but it was truthful too. She loved food but was terrible at cooking. It seemed too personal to ask him if they were around a lot so she didn't. At least his mom would have summers off, she assumed. "Mom's a Healer," she stated proudly. "It's like the muggle Doctors I've seen on television. She heals people." As if it wasn't obvious by the title. 

She wondered if he would be surprised by her knowledge of the muggle world. She didn't know much as muggles did but she did watch a few muggle shows. "Dad works at a museum but he's writing a book about space too." She was excited for when his book would be published but also for when she would be old enough to read and actually understand it.

There were so many careers that he probably didn't know about! "Well, like we talked about earlier, there's professional Quidditch players." She knew that muggles had their own professional players for sports. "Professors for magical subjects like the professors here at Hogwarts. Did you know that there's more than just Hogwarts? There's Wizard schools all over the world." She thought for a moment, wondering what sort of jobs he would find interesting. "There's Magizoologists that study magical creatures and Dragonzoologists too." Did he know that dragons existed?

☆ Dymphna Méabh Teague
  Back