Corridors

Register
Sign in

A Floundering Mishap  PV   Closed 

The school, it seemed, had the resolute conviction to keep him in a state of utter confusion for the foreseeable future. He was, by all accounts, lost within the towering walls surrounding him, and the careening staircases that had minds of their own, moving to and fro without warning, at one point even managing to get caught, climbing the steps, when everything jolted in a sudden change of velocity and he couldn't help the yelp escaping his lips, both hands wrapping forlornly around the banister. When it stopped, jutting into place, he saw atop of the staircase a few older students laughing at him, and he quickly scurried away with an embarrassed pit digging in his gut, cheeks aflame. 

Now he wasn't sure where he was. He had Potions next, an interesting subject, at least from what he could surmise, and he was energetic to get started, as he was in contemplation with most of his subjects, except perhaps his ballroom class that was somehow inexplicably appended to his schedule. The more damning problem with his schedule, however, had less to do with the subjects and more to do with its lack of precise expository directions to their locations. He supposed the point of this complication was to push new students into talking to their peers and getting the directions through social contact. This, however, was not a means of which Thomas was going to have any such luck with, as any interaction with any student, for now, was in direct violation of his human rights, or student rights, if he were to put it more aptly. 

Thomas mused on all this in his head, eyes down, focus on his feet rather than his surroundings, when, passing a corner, he sensed a presence close, to his right, and only looked up in time to see a face, shocked, surprised, then slamming into him, the two tumbling to the ground. 

'Knowledge is strength, quite evidenced by my character,' - Thomas Lurking
Stamina: 4 Agility: 6 Strength: 1 Control: 8 ArcPower: 6 AccPower: 5

Despite the architectural beauty that the school possessed, Liz couldn't help but think about how completely idiotic and useless it was for them to include moving staircases and too many hallways. She'd spent the better part of first period trying to find her classroom on her first day, and it wasn't any better now. She now knew, at least, to leave early so as to not be an hour late to any of her courses, hut she still hadn't managed to make a map or find a shortcut.

At the current moment, Liz was desperately trying to figure out which staircase would lead her to Potions class. She was almost sure she was in the right part of the school, but then again, she was no Hufflepuff, so she wasn't particularly good at finding things. She could be right next to the Divination classroom for all she knew. She couldn't help the frustrated sigh that escaped her lips as the staircase she was currently on started moving. She grabbed the banister quickly so as not to fall, and glared at the wall across from her.

As soon as the staircase ceased it's rotation, Elizabeth stomped away from the staircases and down the halls, muttering curses under her breath. She wasn't particularly paying attention to her surroundings as she turned a corner, and soon found herself colliding into a rather solid mass then falling to the ground. She landed rather painfully on her buttocks, and she couldn't help her anger lashing out at whoever it was who bumped into her.

"Watch where you're going, ya bloody wallaper!" She shouted, her Scottish accent becoming more prominent as her anger reared its ugly head. "Haven't ya heard of payin' attention to yer bloody surroundings?" She asked sharply, grabbing her bag from where she'd accidentally dropped it out of shock.

Do not assume that because I am small that I am weak; I have the heart and strength of a lion.

Thomas was resoundingly, at first, completely at odds with this lithe little girl’s Scottish accent, her booming voice smacking him with the force of a fist, two steps back forming his preparatory plan of retreat. He reprimanded his crude, cowardly thoughts, as she, the girl in front of him, was so much smaller than himself, a rather rare event, and innocuous enough, with her intricate braided hair, delicate pale skin, oval shaped face. But, still, he found his mind ebbing with a pulsating alarm at the sight of her clenched teeth, wide eyes, those bushy eyebrows turned into a frown, and the rather curt insult that kept ringing in his head; "Wallaper". He wondered what it meant, but perhaps, now reflecting on the spiteful inflection she had nursed with the word, it was better to keep his ignorance secure. 

Standing, still staring at the girl, he went to speak, but, ultimately, found his throat tightly wound, the adrenaline surging through his small body perhaps doing more than its share to develop this sudden impediment to talk. Thomas realised, then, that he'd not talked to anyone at the school just yet -- not directly anyway -- and that these first words were going to be the first impressions he would leave on a student with conscious purpose. It was strangely daunting, and did little to alleviate the nervous energy carousing inside his stomach, but finally he managed, after dutiful awareness of her piercing grey eyes that were growing with impatience by the second, to open his mouth, raising his voice, finding his tongue stretch and flick at the word, 

'Waaat?'

Perfect. He mused, observing her bewildered expression, his spirits deflating. Just perfect. 

The boy who stood in front of her seemed to be at a loss for words after she spoke harshly to him, and the time he took to respond only made her grow more frustrated. He had bumped her he should’ve started attempting to apologize, but instead just stood there with a shocked look on his face. Liz took a glance at his tie, and took into account that he was a Ravenclaw. Honestly. She thought as she watched him struggle for words. Aren’t they supposed to be the brainiacs? Has he got a speech impediment or something? She wondered as she watched his mouth close and open before speaking finally.

“Waaat.”

Liz looked at him, bewildered and confused at what he had just said. Waaat? She shook away the shock and grew angry again. “Are you daft? You bumped me, and yer not even going to apologize?” She scoffed, glaring up at the boy who was unfortunately taller than her, though most people were. "I thought Ravenclaw's would at least have the sense to make an actual sentence rather than lookin' like a bloody fish" She said with an eye roll, having no patience left and not holding back any comments anymore.

Do not assume that because I am small that I am weak; I have the heart and strength of a lion.

Alarmingly, he started to find himself angry, strangely enough; not at himself, mind you, as was the case most times when it came to people and his ineptitude to socialize, but at this girl, who seemingly thought it was all his fault for this clashing of physical moulds.  Sure, perhaps he shouldn't have been daydreaming, staring at his feet, thinking of other things, but it takes two to cause a mess such as this. He found his voice coming back, the notes of anger whipping in him a torrent of possible retorts and blandishing insults. 

Thomas decided to go with, 'I would have formed a sentence if I had thought you intelligent enough to comprehend it. But, it would seem, that you are ill-refined in terms of your mental capacity, this adequately evidenced by your obviously inept delineation of the matter at hand, as you have quite wrongly accused me as the causal determinant of this little commotion, and I have to say the blame must be forwarded over to you in all respects.' He took a breath, thinking he was done, but another insult popped into mind, and before he could think on it, it was out his mouth in a flurry. 'Perhaps if you weren't so small I would have seen you, and as such none of this would have happened.'

Elizabeth's eyes widened as the boy seemed to find his voice, and quickly started insulting her with vocabulary usually used among adults. She glared at him harshly as he spoke, but listened to him as he had listened to her. She was angry, but she wasn't going interrupt the boy. That was, until he insulted her height. 
There are two things you should know about miss Elizabeth Summers. One, she absolutely loathes pity;two, her height is not to be mentioned, especially to make jokes of. She was rather sensitive over how short she was, considering most assumed that because of this she was weak or incompetent, which she wasn't. Her anger flared even stronger when the obnoxious boy mentioned her height.
"Alrighty, you listen here, ya scunner," she started angrily, poking him in the chest harshly. "If youda opened yer bloody eyes and not been an absolute numpty, ya wouldn't have run into me." Her accent was all the more clearer as she got angrier. "I was just mindin' me own business when you ran into me like a bloody savage." She finished, pushing him back with a light shove, not hard enough to make him fall, but enough to get her point across to him.

Reeling back a little, the force not enough to do anything besides expand the space between them, a chasm of insults bridging the middle, he, as a boy who didn't often find himself in physical altercations, wondered vainly what to do. He may have, at a time before, not been afraid of this girl, but that had changed as, suddenly, she was transformed, the caricature of a raging demon monkey in her place, shouting, arms flailing, her vernacular stressed, distant, far too foreign for him to decipher. He hated to admit the fear at her bulging eyeballs, clenched tiny fists, squashed face of a contemptuous contortion, but it was there, nonetheless, building in his gut, a structure of unfastened debility. The clear option to run, sprint away, was of obvious note in his mind, but he stayed firm, hearing her insults, blasted by their interwoven meanings of which he was utterly deaf to. Besides "savage", of course, understanding the Oxford definition, but his mind also picking at its recent appropriation by the World Wide Web and all its social media outlets, although he doubted that meaning was being implied here. Unless it was, in which case he most certainly would run away, unable to deal with someone of such mitigated sagacity. 

He realised then, having been lost in thought, that the girl was staring at him now, hands on her hips, head tilted to one side, waiting for some type of response. I should apologize. That would be the right thing to do. And if not the right thing, he mused, at least it would get me out of this bloody mess. 

But, for some reason, unbeknownst to him, a very different set of words, uncommon to an apology, came out in quick succession. 

'I really just can't understand how you don't see your own fault in this matter. I suppose your bellicosity is quite illuminating to the wit you might have in any individual situation, as you seem to be only able to use your physical touch to elicit a counter-point. If you could put forward an actual contention that proves my negligence then I might be able to understand your perspective, but so far all I've heard is grumbling of an almost animalistic kind that does little to help your case. You do know how to speak English, right? Because so far evidence has pointed to its complete opposing conclusion.' 

It seemed that this obnoxious tosser of a boy was hellbent on making her angry. Not only had he bumped her and made her drop her things, but now he was insulting her vocabulary and her mannerisms, and she was on the brink of showing him how they dealt with twits like him down in Edinburgh. Instead, she took a deep breath and smiled patronizingly at him. "Here, let me translate my words into a language you'll understand." She said slowly, before clearing her throat and standing up straight.

"You, a young male, have hit into myself, a young female, in the middle of this spacious corridor, upon turning around the corner. I was merely promenading to my Potions lecture room, minding my own business, when you rather harshly ran into me." She said, mocking his British accent as she spoke. "Now stop being a wee little knobdobber and apologize before I show ya how we get people to apologize down in Auld Reekie." She said in her regular Scottish accent, staring at the boy harshly. At some point during their encounter, some of her hair had fallen out of her braid, and she now looked a lot messier than her usual presentable self, but she couldn't be bothered to fix it at the moment.

Reducio
Aud Reekie is another name for Edinburgh, used by locals

Promenading? Who in their right mind would use such a word, especially in that sentence of speech? He didn't let known his abrasive contrition's of thought, instead, unlike he'd done before, keeping them to himself. Tom gave her points however for at least knowing of the word. But for now he had other pressing matters to attend to than the simple game of criticizing a person's vernacular, no matter even if it was a fun exercise of testing verbiage congruity. His problem, a problem he wasn't normally accustomed to, was to unravel this chaotic mess of a conversation and get it over and done with this -- he spied her robes for a second, finding the sigil -- this Gryffindor. It was unbecoming of a Gryffindor, wasn't it, to be this abstruse and loud? Although he didn't know much about the inhabitants of all four of the Hogwart houses, so he couldn't plainly described the inherent characteristics that made them up. Perhaps all Gryffindorians -- was that a word? -- were like this, and he just hadn't had the pleasure of realizing that fact until now. 

However to get out of this said mess he would have to keep all these thoughts fitted firmly inside his head, and not allow his faculty of speech to get in the way of a resolution. So, she wanted an apology. He didn't think she rightfully deserved it, as she seemed rightfully incredulous to her own rudeness, but he wouldn't be able to leave without intimating one from whatever hidden depth of compassion he might have in him. 

So, with great restraint in voice, tense expressions of tongue, a fist clenched, he said, 
'I am sorry...' For a moment he thought that was all, that he'd done it, taken control of his prevailing tumultuous elements of character, had, to an extent, beaten his egoic tendencies and turned a new leaf. Until, of course, the next half of the sentence came spilling out. '...that you will believe you deserve an apology. It was, however, very nice meeting you, and I hope you're able to, at some point in your life, come to terms with your impediment to understand and speak your native language as I can only imagine whatever friends you end up gaining at some point in your possibly long life will find it both beguiling and annoying. Good day, madam.' And thenceforth he turned, bookbag over one shoulder, aiming for any distance away from this calamitous area of immense confounding social deviation.