Corridors

Register
Sign in

A small run-in  PV Adam Harrington 

It was happening again. Aravis could almost sense everyone near her without looking. They all had that happy positive vibe that she found troublesome. She walked down the corridor mentally noting to write another letter to her mom. She knew she would burn it in the end. She never did anything else with the letters.  It was hard knowing that her mother could never read them. However, a rather odd thing happened to her just as she sat down on a bench to write. An owl flew by dropping a copy of The Daily Prophet beside her. 

She read over the title carefully and her eyes scanned down the page. Nothing interesting. Whoever sent it to her was clearly doing it for laughs or to annoy the black haired girl. She opened it and a small letter flew out of the middle of the folded paper. Aravis picked up the letter out of curiosity. It had neat fancy handwriting and a small rise pinned to the top left corner. 

'Dear Aravis, Don't go about burning letters to someone important. Keep watching the skies. Things are bound to change. Yours Truly, E.E.'

She read over the words more than once. She had no clue who had sent her the letter or the newspaper. It was so bland and had hardly any writing. She assumed it was another prank.

Huffing the black haired girl stood up and began to walk to the library. Maybe there she could find something entertaining. She walked around the corner before running into someone nearly knocking her head on the wall to avoid hitting them. When she realized who it was she laughed. It was Adam, she hadn't been so fond of the boy when they first met but after a while she learned he meant no harm. "What js it with us always nearly running into the other every time we meet?" She said with a smile and a small chuckle.

Reducio
I apologize for any typos. I'm writing from my phone and it lives to autocorrect things.

I will take what is mine with fire and blood.
"It seems to me that a queen who trusts no one is as foolish as a queen who trusts everyone."

Adam was happy to see the Slytherin girl again, and even happier that she seemed to be in a good mood. Their last encounter had been a bit awkward, and he'd been hoping to see her again soon. He wondered if she'd gone through with sending her letter or not. It looked like she had another one in her hand now. That was a good sign, wasn't it? Of course, it could be anything. He really shouldn't worry so much about what she was doing with her correspondence. It was none of Adam's business, after all. Instead, he focused his attention on Aravis herself, instead of the paper in her hands.

"We must be the two clumsiest people in the school!" he joked in answer to her greeting. Last time they'd talked, they'd ended up both crashing to the floor of one of the school corridors, having literally run into each other in his haste to return a letter she'd dropped. "How are you, Aravis?" he asked, adjusting his course so that he could walk with her. "Got another letter written?" Gesturing to the sheet clutched in her hands, he smiled and wondered who she was writing to.

Probably her family, you moron. Adam really should have been sending more messages home, but it seemed like such a hassle to write out what had happened to him at the castle and find a school owl to bring it to Nottingham for him. Besides, letters didn't have any emotion, and stories had a specific way that they had to be told. That just couldn't carry over into written communication. It would be much easier for him to just give one long recount of the highlights of his first year when he got home for the summer. This was all besides the point, anyways. Scolding himself for not paying attention, he refocused on Aravis and hoped that she hadn't answered while he was spacing out.

Adam Harringtom
STR: 10 AGI: 5 CTRL: 8 STA: 12

The black haired Slytherin laughed at the small joke. "Possibly so, although my cousin in Ravenclaw is much clumsier than I." She said with a smile. When he asked about the letter she looked down at it. "I've been doing good. New quidditch tryouts for Slytherin, so I have to retry, hoping I get my position as a chaser back. I'm not sure who lrt the letter really." She said showing him the neat handwriting on the letter. She scanned over it once more befire sighing. 

"They sent it through the daily prophet. It's probably some cruel joke on me. They even had the nerve to sign my mother's initals." She said with a slight frown. She figured if she didn't explain why it upset her then Adam would be confused. "Well, you see, I don't write letters home usually. Only every few months I might send one or two. The letters I write are too my mother but...she died when I was born. That's why I never send them." She wasn't sure if there was much else to explain about it. 

"I've never had a letter written to me before. Well, not one that didn't involve yelling or scolding me, or that my little brother sent written in crayons." She said laughing at the memory of her brothers letters. "Anyways, how have you been?" She said walking along with Adam smiling once more.

"It seems to me that a queen who trusts no one is as foolish as a queen who trusts everyone."

Adam was surprised to hear that Aravis had a relative in his House. Yes, family relations in Hogwarts were not uncommon -- his own brother was still here at the castle with him -- but he didn't recall meeting any other Escanoras in their common room. He would have thought that as prefect, he would've known this person by now; then again, they could have a different last name altogether. None of this really mattered compared to the rest of Aravis' reply, though, so he focused his attention on the more important parts, excited to hear about what the girl had been up to.

He was happy to hear that she was joining the Slytherin Quidditch team. Adam had always thought that Quidditch was an awesome sport -- even if it didn't appeal to him, he couldn't deny that it took lots of daring and dedication. Quidditch players were a very intense breed, but in a good way. He'd be looking forward to cheering on his team as they played the other Houses throughout all seven years. He was a bit confused, though, about the mysterious letter that the Slytherin girl handed him to look over. Adam was pretty sure that students didn't often receive cryptic messages from unknown sources, and he wondered who would go through all the trouble of getting in contact with Aravis at Hogwarts if they were only going to sign their initials.

Then came the surprising news. Aravis brought up her mother unhappily, and before Adam could ask about it, she explained the situation. Caught off-guard, he scrambled for an appropriate answer in his head, coming up mostly blank. "I'm sorry" seemed a little too impersonal, but what else was he supposed to say? What did you say to someone who lost their mother, especially at such a young age? It was likely that Adam was stressing over this way more than necessary, and he realized a little guiltily that Aravis had already moved on to another topic.

"It's been good here, too! I got a fancy new job, Ravenclaw Prefect, and it's a lot of fun, even when it is kind of hard. I think I'm friends with Eris again -- long story -- and it's almost summer, so I'm really excited to get back home and see my parents. I'll miss this place, though. I met so many new people that I almost don't want to leave." Laughing along with Aravis, he lapsed into a happy silence for a moment as they walked before deciding that he really should say something.

"Hey, I'm, uh....I'm sorry about your mom. I can't really imagine what that's like. If you ever want to...talk about it, or....you can just tell me. Oh, god, I'm regretting opening my mouth at all now. You know what, just pretend that was meaningful and well put-together." Shaking his head in self-shame, Adam felt himself blush and bit his lip to stop himself from talking any further. When he finally regained control of his thoughts, he smiled and continued. "That is weird about the letter, huh? I wonder who would send something like that?"

Adam Harringtom

Aravis was happy for Adam, being a prefect sounded fun. "That's so cool! I wanted to be a prefect a while back but I might be a bit too...um...well hardcore for the job." She said not knowing what word to use. "I don't know who Eris is but I'm really happy for you. Friends are great to have." She said with a smile and a slight chuckle. 

The happy pause as they walked was relieving. It was like all the burden had been lifted from her shoulders by smiling and laughing. Or maybe it was just because she finally found someone she enjoyed talking to.

The black haired girl laughed a bit after Adam tried to comfort her in a way. "Thank you Adam, that was actually pretty meaningful to me. It's pretty rough sometimes but I didn't know her so it's not like I'm missing any memories. It's ironic how much I try to be like her but some how my brother is a replica of her according to my dad." Most of the time she was upset when she mentioned her mother. However, this time she actually felt happy. Instead of being cold and distant she was laughing and smiling. It was a warm feeling, Aravis wondered if having friends felt like this. "But yeah the letter is really odd. I guess I'll find out more if I follow it's instructions-depending on what they are of course."

Adam nodded along as Aravis thanked him for the embarrassing attempt he had made in comforting her, and smiled when she spoke once more about the letter. He didn't think that students often received mysterious correspondence from supposedly-dead relatives, and he wasn't exactly prepared to offer any advice. Her plan sounded smart, if risky. He didn't know what the instructions may be; he hadn't seen any listed on the paper she'd handed him to inspect, but maybe more letters were on the way. "Well, instruction-following is usually the smart way to go. As long as you're careful, that is. You'll have to keep me updated on how that goes -- I mean, as long as you want to."

Though he may not have been able to help Aravis with her problem as much as he wanted to, they could still talk about other things. Their first year at the school was coming to a close, and he had only met the Slytherin girl once before this. Now was a good time to talk, get to know more about her, and maybe establish a closer friendship before the summer. He might as well start on the topic of family, as that was what they had started with in the first place.

"What's your brother's name?" Surprisingly, Adam didn't know of a lot of siblings attending their school at the same time. His brother was in his final years in Gryffindor, but he didn't think that any of his friends had brothers or sisters -- at least, not in the castle. "Is he here at Hogwarts?"

Adam Harringtom

Aravis smiled happily at the thought of her brother. "Mhm, he's here, I'm surprised he's not in Ravenclaw honestly, he ended up in the same house as me so I guess I'm lucky. His name's Lucien. I have another brother, Maven who is two years younger than I, who I assume would be in Slytherin once he is old enough to attend. My other family member, frankly I think he would be my step-brother through marriage or something of the sort, was in Ravenclaw. His name was Cal, he graduated last year. My family is annoyingly large. There's too many of us it seems." She said with a slight laugh. There were literally too many people in her family. The black haired girl wouldn't be surprised if her Aunt had sacrificed half of the families offspring, thankful that never happened, but she wouldn't put it past her Aunt to do.

"And I'll be sure to keep you posted on how the letters turn out." She said turning her head slightly to the blonde. "Anyways, do you have any siblings or odd family members?" She said looking forward once more. It was nice to get along with someone. Although she did miss Cal greatly, she didn't want to return home. He would most likely throw a bunch of books at her and tell her to study before the second year.