Corridors

Register
Sign in

Random Wanderings  PV James   Closed 

Today's plans were surprisingly a little unexpected for Serena.  She had gone to visit the Owlery, where she sent her parents their expected messages by writing them a letter.  What she had not anticipated, however, was running into a fellow Hufflepuff.  A young boy by the name of James- wait, James what? Serena actually didn't know his surname.  They had literally just met and he introduced himself as James, just James.  So Just James had strolled into the Owlery whilst out exploring the huge school.  Deciding it was a great time to meet some new people and see more of the school, she accepted his offer to explore with him.

Now, let's just be clear, she had absolutely no idea where they were going.  But that was sort of the whole point!  She figured she was safe whilst she was in the school, right?!  So wandering around aimlessly was actually kind of fun.  Serena walked beside James, taking in the portraits and decorations that lined up the corridors.  They had made their way down a quite a few flights of stairs but she couldn't work out what level she was on now.  Her sense of direction was awful.  It was actually a surprise that she had managed to find the Owlery in the first place but I guess having something so high up - and marked clearly as the "West Tower" certainly helped.  There was little ambiguity as to where it may be.  All of these other classes or rooms that she had to find, however, were beginning to become a pain.  How does "it's on the third floor" help, when you have no idea what floor you're currently on?  Plus, even if you got to the right floor - how would you know what side of the castle it was on?  Each level is massive, what if you take the right when you should have taken a left?  It's just too easy to get lost on in this place...

But enough of that.  We'll save that for another day.  For now, let's just have a look around, shall we?  Shooting a smile over to James, she decided to get to know him a little better, "So what sort of things do you like doing, James?" She asked as she continued to walk beside him, "Any clubs or activities you're thinking about joining?".

[OOC:  Thread for James Lachoneus but other people are also welcome to join us!  They are just exploring the area / chatting].

Serena Towers --> Sta: 3, Agil: 8, Str: 2, Ctrl: 4, AP; 4, Acc: 9

James nodded. He did have hobbies. They all circled around one certain area, but there was a lot of them in that rather large category.
"Actually, it's kinda hard to shorten what I like into one phrase, but I'll try... art and literature?" he tried.
"Here, I'll just give a list...
Violin, piano, reading, writing, singing, dancing, ventriloquism, muggle magic, comedy and all that stuff..."
James realized that wasn't much of a shortening, and that was a lot of a list... he would have to find some small phrase to account for those things he liked to do... but after thinking about it, James figured Art and Literature would be the best way to say it.
____
To be edited or will be deleted
Last edited by James Lachoneus on 16th February 2018, 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Make a dragon in your mind and then paint it on your shoulder.
~Coming back from long absence...~
Stamina 6, Agility 6, Strength 4, Control 5, Arcane Power 4, Accuracy 5

Serena blinked as James responded.  She hadn't expected a list that... well, detailed.  In fact, she's not even sure she would remember half of that.  Arts and literature was definitely a good summary and far easier for her to remember.  Wait- did he say ventriloquism?  Serena tried to process what just happened.  Of all things, she hadn't expected the eleven year old boy to say that.  In fact, did she even know what that was?  She thought she knew but she wasn't sure.  "Ventriloquism? How did you get into that? That's the thing where you make it look like the puppet is talking, right?" She asked, trying to best explain what she thought it was. 

"What's muggle magic?" Serena asked suddenly, as she realised that she didn't know what that entailed either.  She knew of muggles and she knew of magic but she had no idea what the two of them together were.  Surely that would be an oxymoron - or so she thought.  Smiling, she decided to ask him a little more about her hobbies and tried to remember some from the list he had rattled off to her, "You said singing, right? What sort of things do you sing? Can you play an instrument and sing at the same time?" She asked, wondering how talented this kid was. 

Here she was, pretty much useless at most things - and he had just listed off a whole bunch of hobbies and interests!  Wow, does sleeping count as an interest?  Because that was definitely something she had mastered, if it does.

James' face immediately turned a shade of red as he started to blush.
Dang it, James!
James sometimes didn't even know what he was doing until it was too late and he had already embarrassed himself by talking too much and then seeming like a kid who thought he was so great and the best at everything... James didn't like it when others acted like that... and he certainly did not want to be acting like that either...
"Yeah, basically just speak without moving my mouth and I make the puppet look alive... and making it funny or comedic." James admitted, trying not to sound prideful. "It's actually not that hard to get the hang of it... I could show you, if you would like." he offered.
Why would she be interested in that!? We are in a school of MAGIC! That's WAY cooler than anything I've got!
Then, James heard her ask another question.
"What's muggle magic?"
"Oh! Well, it's not real magic, but there are muggle magicians, like me, who do magic tricks as a performance, like, on a stage! It's a bunch of slight-of-hand and other things that make it look believable to muggles! For me, and probably others too, it was something fun to believe in when we didn't have real magic... which was always." he finished.
Before James could think more, Serena asked him one more thing.
"Oh, singing?" James' blush worsened. According to many people in the muggle world, singing was mostly a girl's thing... at least the kind of singing James did.
"Well, it's nothing, really. I sing mostly, um... like, you know,,, uh,,, muggle music?" he tried. He had never heard any music from the wizarding world.
"Well, I do 'a Capella'." he tried again. "It's like singing and making music, but the only sounds are the ones coming from you... usually your mouth and hands. So, beat boxing is a good thing to have."
"I have't tried singing while playing my violin yet... but I could try?" he suggested.
Ugh! Why was this so hard for him!?

Serena continued to walk down the corridor with James, looking around for anything of interest to stop and look at.  She noticed a few portraits as they walked past, they were moving around and talking.  It brought a smile to her face, thinking about how amazing everything was here.  The young boy beside her spoke about his hobbies with such passion that it made her happy.  She would love to be that passionate about something.  Though, besides sleeping, she wasn't sure what she enjoyed as much as he seemed to enjoy these things.  Grinning over at James, she nodded, "Sure, I'd love to see it." She replied positively.  She hadn't ever seen a ventriloquist before, especially not in person so thought she'd like to see what it was like.  Serena was always open to learning about things she didn't know or trying out new things.  In fact, as long as it wasn't class and homework, she was happy to learn!

"... So... muggles do magic tricks to make other muggles think they can do magic... when in fact, neither of them can do magic...?" She asked curiously, "Huh..." That sort of made sense.  There was a desire to be able to do something you can't currently do.  If muggles don't know about magic, they want to try and emulate it. "Do you know any of these tricks?" She asked, wondering if he'd be willing to show her that too.

"I'd like to hear you sing," Serena said softly as she shot a smile over to him. He seemed a bit awkward about it but she thought it was sweet.  Hopefully her smile would comfort him a little.  She did actually listen to muggle music before coming to Hogwarts but she hadn't heard anyone sing in person.  Well... sing well.  She heard people sing awfully but that didn't count, in her opinion.

James continued to blush the more Serena talked, seeming interested in what he could do. Maybe she actually was... James thought that nobody here would be interested in anything so... muggle-like, in contrast to all the magic that surrounded them.
"Do you know any of these tricks?" she asked, referring to the muggle magic tricks he had told her about.
James nodded.
"Yeah, um, let me see..." James started searching through his pockets for a coin to demonstrate with. As he searched, he continued to explain to Serena more about what muggle magic was.
"So, these tricks actually do look like real magic, so for other wizards and witches, I imagine seeing these things would confuse them too, because it's not like the kind of magic in the wizarding world..."
James finally managed to bring out a silver sickle from his pockets and held it up triumphantly.
"Alright, watch this." James instructed.
James placed the coin in his right hand and held it up for Serena to see it clearly. Then, he dropped the coin into his other hand and closed his left hand around the coin. He shook his clenched fist for a moment, and then opened it, to show nothing inside. Then, James reached forward and from Serena's ear came the exact same coin.
"Ta-da!" James said, waiting for her reaction.
"You also said you wanted to see ventriloquism and singing?" James asked.

Serena watched with interest as the blond haired boy demonstrated one of his tricks.  Her eyes fell onto the coin that he showed her, wondering what he was going to do with it.  She followed the coin, which went into his hand and then suddenly disappeared.  James then reached over to her ear, causing her to blink in confusion.  As he drew his hand back, she noticed the coin in it. "Wha- Woah!"  Grinning as she spotted the coin, she realised what he meant by magic.  "Wait- you did that without using magic?" She asked, kind of confused.  If he had used magic, she would have understood that he could have used various spells to make something invisible or reduce the size before enlarging it again or transporting it.  Of course, she didn't know the spells for any of these things but she imagined they were all possible. 

How he did it without the use of magic baffled her.  "That's pretty cool," She continued, still grinning like an idiot.  She was impressed - and definitely saw the entertainment that muggles would get from it.  She wasn't sure she believed he did it without the use of magic yet though but if he did, that was super cool.

"Yeah!" She exclaimed, wondering if they'd be as interesting as these things.  It was definitely pretty exciting to learn about the ways of muggles, something she had never really grown up around.  She knew of muggles and knew a few of them.  In fact, she had some muggle friends, unknown to her family.  However, she didn't know much about it.  All her life, she grew up mostly around other wizards and witches.  Children of other pure-blood families.

"Wha- Woah!" Serena exclaimed, "Wait- you did that without using magic?"
James blushed a little more. He had not expected her to be so surprised or interested in what he did. Was it really that cool to do something that looked like magic when it wasn't?
"Um... yeah. I did." James answered. He took a deep breath, trying to refocus himself,.
Okay, James.... get your magician act on.
James looked back at Serena as he slipped the coin into his pocket.
"That's pretty cool." she said, grinning.
James grinned back and started pulling out a small deck of muggle playing cards.
“Okay, I’m going to show you one or two more tricks, and then I’ll show you how ventriloquism works. Sounds good?” James said, sounding more and more like a professional magician the more comfortable he got.
James proceeded to take the cards out of the small cardboard box. After thinking about it for a moment, James realized he didn’t know if the magic world had playing cards, and if they were even the same as muggle playing cards… probably not, he thought.
“Alright,” he started, “This is a muggle deck of playing cards. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen one, but I’m going to quickly explain the cards.” James started pulling out cards and showing them to Serena one-by-one. He wasn’t going to show her every card, but he showed he a few to get her familiar with the suits (Spades, Clubs, Diamonds, and Hearts) and the face values (Ace, 2, 3, 4… 10, Jack, Queen, and King). James took a deep breath after explaining it all.
“Okay! Now, I’m going to fan out these cards,” James did so, “And I’m going to have you take out one card. Any card. But don’t show me which card you’ve picked.” James waited, hands outstretched, for Serena to pick a card.