Corridors

Register
Sign in

Someone Familiar  PV Odette Haven   Finished 

Aravis had her raven black hair in a elegant flower bun with a silver and blue snowflake brooch holding it up.  It was something blue, something borrowed, and something old. It was once her mothers. Her mother had wore it on her wedding day. Aravis liked to wear it everywhere she went to give her good luck. She fiddled with her ring as she walked through the corridors. She wondered if her mother would be proud of her. She had so much pressure to become a dark lord by her Aunt and Uncle while her Father wanted her to be a well known heroine. 

Taking a walk didn't help her get that off her mind. She was beginning to wonder how she was going to succeed in life with opposite pressures from her family. Just then someone bumped into her. It knocked Aravis onto the group and out of her thoughts. She was prepared to yell at who ever interrupted her until she realized who it was. "Odette! I haven't seen you since the sorting ceremony! How are you? How's Ravenclaw for a house? Are you ok?" Aravis was normally silent but when she saw her cousin her mouth ran a mile a minute. She helped her clumsy cousin back up and gave her a hug.
Last edited by Aravis Escanora on 25th April 2018, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

I will take what is mine with fire and blood.
"It seems to me that a queen who trusts no one is as foolish as a queen who trusts everyone."

Odette was late. Well not really late to a class or anything but she wanted to get to the Library at exactly 2:00 pm. Of course, being clumsy, she's already ran into a doorway, stubbed her toe, lost her shoe, got her hair caught in her bracelet, and tripped over someone else's book that was on the floor. Huffing, she quickly ties her hair up in a ponytail with a ribbon to get her dark hair out of her face.

Getting lost in her thoughts, she can't help but wonder what her birth parents would think if her. Would they be happy that she's in the Ravenclaw house? She's been too afraid to tell her parents--Arthur and Farrah--that she isn't in Slytherin. She hasn't really made any friends yet either. She thinks she's actually only talked to one boy since she's gotten here.

Apparently she was too lost in her thoughts again because the next thing she knows she's bumped into someone and she's sitting on the ground. Well, she definitely won't be joining dance anytime soon. Looking up, she notices that she bumped into Aravis Escanora. Her cousin. She grins as Aravis helps her up and then hugs her. "I'm doing okay, Aravis. Ravenclaw is really exciting but I haven't really met anyone in my dorm yet. I've mostly been too nervous to really talk to anyone yet. And yeah, I'm fine. Just being really clumsy, as always. I've already bumped, tripped, and ran into so many things today," she laughs. "How are you doing? How's Slytherin? Have you talked to Uncle since you got here? How are Lucien and Maven?"

Odette didn't normally talk very much either. But she does talk to Aravis when she can.

"We should love, not fall in love, because everything that falls gets broken."
- Is in love with Fictional Characters -

Aravis laughed a bit as her cousin tried to answer all her questions. "You're such a klutz. I'm doing quite well actually! I've made a few friends not many but a few! Slytherin is great! I fit in perfectly actually. I managed to make the Quidditch team! Not a seeker like mother but I'm a chaser. Lu and Mavey are doing great. I owl them every few days. And Uncle Arthur and Aunt Farrah LOVE to ruin my moenings by sending Howlers!" Ever word was filled with excitement. She was so happy to see her cousin. Even though Aravis lived in the same house as her she had became so shut in that she never talked to Odette hardly. 

She was happy to talk to her. Her eyes seem to reflect happy memories of their childhood. "Oh also, almost all of my grades are O's! I got one A and one E I believe. I'm quite happy even though other assignments I need to catch up on. And the first person who got straight O's was a Slytherin. Not even a Ravenclaw! Looks like our house is truly the smart house!"  She wasn't trying to sound rude, it was just how happy she was that Slytherin beat everyone else at it.

"It seems to me that a queen who trusts no one is as foolish as a queen who trusts everyone."

Odette grinned almost the whole time her cousin was speaking. She only grimaced slightly when she bragged about Slytherin but she wasn't too offended because she knows that most Slytherins are like that. At least the ones in her family are. "I haven't even talked to Mom and Dad yet. They don't know I got Ravenclaw. I think you're the only one in the family that knows so far," Odette says as she rubs the back of her neck, looking down at the floor. "I'm kind of afraid of what they'll say. I mean, I know that they're not as mean to me as they are to you but they've had their hearts stuck on me being in Slytherin but I'm just not like that you know? I want them to be happy but I just-gah! I don't know. And I'm glad you're getting good grades." Odette smiles slyly, "I knew there was a smart part in that bratty stubborn brain of yours," she jokes. Widening her eyes slightly, she realizes that that could have sounded rude. "I hope that didn't sound mean. I was only joking. I'm sorry if it came out wrong," Odette says, frowning. "I don't like being mean, but I guess it might come out sometimes," she says sadly.

Aravis was happy to talk to her cousin. At least until her cousin made the 'bratty' joke. Aravis had never learned to control her anger and would lash out at everyone. She ignored the last bit of her cousin apologizing. Her Aunt and Uncle had always seen Odette as a precious angel while Aravis was taught to never accept someone's apology or show too much emotion. After all emotion was weakness. 

"Bratty? Bratty?! No, no bratty is used to define a badly behaved spoiled child. I may not behave the best but I am NOT spoiled. All of my stuff I had to work for unless it was passed down from my mother." Aravis was beyond the point of calming down. It was the one side of her Lucien had always feared. Her eyes darkened with anger and wrath. "I spent most of my time locked in my room because of your parents considering that I was too weak by showing feelings. Do you even know how many essays I had to write for them? Just not like that no? Is being a Slytherin a bad thing? Oh please your parents would be happy with you if you married a mudblood for Merlin's sake!" Aravis felt herself getting madder by the minute. She wished Maven or Lucien was there to calm her down.

Tears filled Odette's eyes but she decided that she wouldn't back down and let Aravis yell at her. She knew she shouldn't have made that joke and she apologized for it. But it didn't give Aravis an excuse to yell and scream at her. "I said I was sorry! And if you want to be stating facts, they're not my parents! I'm sorry I made that joke, it wasn't nice. But I will not let you yell at me like I'm dirt on your shoes. If you're not bratty, stop throwing a tantrum. I'm sorry Farrah and Arthur treat you like dirt. But I don't and I never have. They're not even my parents so don't act like I want to be a perfect angel to them. Don't you think I've tried to get them mad at me? They act like I'm a precious baby and I hate it! But you also need to get over yourself! I know you think emotion is weakness. But what do you call anger? Anger is emotion and you need to learn to calm down! People aren't always going to be there to get you to chill out. I love you and you know me. Why would I ever want to treat you badly when you know that's the thing I always try to avoid?!"

Aravis immediately went from pure rage to calm. Within  a second she had a complete mood hange. No wonder Aunt Farrah called her bi-polar. "Sorry Odette- I didn't mean- You know what no. I may have over reacted but I will certainly not listen to someone who tells me to get over myself. You take everything you have for granted. You don't know what it's like to live how I do." Aravis was right about one bit. Odette didn't know all the pain her adopted parents had caused Ara and Maven. She suddenly remembered why she stayed away from people, why her Aunt and Uncle kept her locked in her room when she went to make friends. She couldn't be around people that weren't like herself.

"You can say you don't all you want. I don't know why you would even try to make them mad if you've seen what I've seen. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get to the common room. And just so you know anger was the only emotion I was allowed to show." Aravis took her curly hair out of the flower bun it had been in. She held the snowflake brooch close to her heart as she walked away. Perhaps she had been to harsh on Odette, but she was already under so much pressure from her family and all the rumors floating around about her, that she snapped at everyone and anyone who crossed her path.

She had noted that Odette slightly grimaced when Aravis had talked about her house beating everyone to the punch. She knew her cousin was most likely stereotyping Slytherins to always brag and be overly proud. However, Aravis was happy for her house because for once, they had managed to look like they weren't as evil as the other houses made them out to be. As she walked away further she wondered if her mother would be disappointed in her.

As Aravis walked away, the fight left Odette. She loved her cousin so much but if Aravis thinks she's never had to work for anything, she's wrong. "You know I hate fighting. And if you think that I never have to work for anything then you really don't know me at all. If you've forgotten, I stayed in my room all the time too. Maybe you were yelled at and punished by Farrah and Arthur and I wasn't. But don't you dare act like I have never struggled before." Odette's fists tightened as she remembered the punches and the kicks and the cruel words from other students. How the teachers would just stand by and let it happen. "I was adopted, Aravis. And for some reason that seemed like an awesome reason to pick on the young girl who was clumsy and all in all just wanted someone to talk to. Someone to understand her. I know you think about your mom. How you wonder if she would be proud of you. Don't you think I do that too? I don't have either of my parents. None that really count. Just because I have things doesn't mean I'm happy. Farrah and Arthur think buying me things is going to make me happy. They don't hug me or kiss me or tell me how proud they are of me. They just buy me something they think I'll like. I don't take it for granted. Most of the stuff they give me? I give it to people who will need it more than I do. So don't act like you have me all figured out. Because you don't."

Aravis stopped to listen. She dind't like her mother being mentioned by anyone that was for sure. "Do not speak of my mother. I don't care if you're my cousin, I will not allow people to speak of her death or how she is no longer here. Arthur and Farrah always tell Lucien, Maven, and I how proud they are of you. They always plan events for you, always get mad at me for not being as great as you. I know you've suffered but at least you aren't always compared to someone who isn't even your family. I know I don't have you all figured out, because I don't want to figure you out. It doesn't benefit for me to unlock your secrets so why should I try?" 

Aravis was beginning to walk away again. She couldn't stand to listen to people who didn't understand how she was breaking on the inside. Her mind was always closed off to anyone who cared. She didn't want to talk to someone. She wanted to be left alone. 'Actually no, I just want Lyssolin back. I could have talked to my snake had Aunt Farrah and Uncle Arthur not taken her. I don't want to be alone. I just want someone who understands.' She decided to push the thought of her beloved snake into the back of her mind. She didn't want another mental breakdown.

Odette couldn't even hold in her tears this time. "So now I'm not even your family?" A sob escaped her mouth. "You're just like the rest of them (them as in bullies). You don't want to be judged by other people but it's okay for you to judge others? Now I'm not your family? Then I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you were compared to someone who shouldn't even exist to you, right?" Odette shakes her head. "Maybe they told you how proud they were but they never told me. I've never belonged in your family so I guess it's right that-that..." Another cry escapes the young girl's lips. It feels as though she's been stabbed in the heart. All of her insecurities come running back through her head. 'You'll never belong.' 'Why don't you go back to the orphanage you came from.' 'You're just a fake girl trying to fit in a puzzle where you don't fit.' 'At least you aren't always compared to someone who isn't even your family'

Odette stumbles back not able to get the voices running through her head out. She turns and quickly walks away, silently wishing that she had just died along with her mother. If her own 'cousin' resented her and didn't consider her family, maybe it would be best if she never existed in the first place.

A few people in the corridors tried their best to stay out of the conflict while others watched. Aravis realized she had worded it wrong. "No, no I didn't mean that you weren't my family. I get compared to everyone we see on the streets, I meant in general. I judge people because that's all I know how to do from being judged. Stop making it all about you, other people have problems. You aren't the only one with voices in your head you know!"  Aravis shouted after her cousin. Frankly she didn't care if Odette even heard her. When Aravis was younger she always tried to help people with their problems, however no matter who it was she was always pushed away and shut out. Aravis was taught that other people's problems were other people's downfalls and that helping them would lower her guard and could cause her downfall as well. 

It wasn't that Aravis was mean, she was actually a really kind girl. It's just that she was always misunderstood. She was never close with people other than when she was 5. Aravis had another memory run through her head. She had another uncle that Odette didn't even know. His voice often ran through her head. He was a dark lord and her Aunt Farrah and Uncle Arthur wanted her to follow in his foot steps. It was quite funny however, it was almost like they wanted Odette to be the one that would destroy her in the future. 

Aravis wouldn't be surprised if Odette did follow that legacy. She knew Aravis had a short temper due to everything she had been through, she knew Ara was bi-polar and like a bomb she could explode at the slightest touch. However, her cousin didn't even bother to stop her 'joke' before she said it. Aravis looked at the silver and blue hair piece in her hand. She missed her mother, her snake, her brothers. She wished Lucien would have came to Hogwarts with her to help her through the pain. 

Odette turned around one last time, tears still streaming down her face. "I'm- I'm the one making it about me? Seriously? And if you are still thinking about that stupid joke that I made. That I apologized for instantly after I said it, then whatever. Think what you want to think. Let Farrah and Arthur win by doing exactly what they want you to do. Go ahead. But I'm not going to stop trying to help. You want someone there for you? Then stop pushing them away. Stop pushing me away!" Odette wanted to be there for Ara. She wanted to be the person she leaned on because she understood the feeling of having no one. It's as if Aravis almost expects her to be perfect as well. As if Aravis herself has never made a mean joke or yelled at them for something they didn't mean to do.

Odette was just tired. Tired of everything. Tired of Farrah and Arthur. Tired of getting caught up in emotions that always seem to cause her problems. Tired of Aravis, Lucien, and Maven being upset with her because she doesn't get treated the same as they do. Odette felt defeated. She felt empathy for her cousin. She felt everything. Took everything on her shoulders when she didn't have to.

Turning around, Odette walks towards the direction of the library, hoping one day, one day, that Aravis would let her in or anyone in.