Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

Getting There Safely?  PV   Closed 

James and Ebony made their way through the halls and corridors of the Hogwarts castle, heading hopefully towards Professor Lear who could help them with James current problem, which was actually hidden under a towel that was wrapped around his soaking wet body. A trail of water drops followed the duo, sprinkling the floor with the "lake water". James had not really fallen in the lake, but that's what they wanted people to think if anybody asked. It gave James an excuse to have the towel wrapped around him. Really, it was because an accidental effect had come from a not-very-well-prepared-spell that James had cast on himself. It was why the towel was over his head, hiding something that was on top of his head, and why the towel was all around him, hiding something that he was holding up close to his chest under the towel.
James was very self-conscious about this whole situation, and he wanted to get into the safety of Professor Lear’s office as soon as possible. He did not want to be seen by anyone in this state. Well, he had already been seen by Ebony, but she had thought he looked cool with what the accidental spell had done to him. James didn’t quite have the same thoughts as her.
“Almost there.” James said to Ebony quietly. He jinxed it.
James suddenly stopped right in his tracks as he saw someone else come around the corner towards them.
Last edited by Serena Towers on 18th April 2018, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Make a dragon in your mind and then paint it on your shoulder.
~Coming back from long absence...~
Stamina 6, Agility 6, Strength 4, Control 5, Arcane Power 4, Accuracy 5

So far James and Ebony were doing fine. Nothing got in there way. Ebony took this as pure good luck, probably because nothing ever went her way for something as important like this. Well, some things did but most of the time it didn't. So right now James and Ebony were walking through the hallways as fast as they can without James slipping on the water that followed him like a Plague. It was kinda annoying but Ebony couldn't complain. They were almost there anyway. Well, James confirmed that after he quietly told her. Ebony was smiling right in till the point that some student turned the corner. Ebony froze but forced herself to keep moving. This was bad. "Remember the story. We can do this." She held her umbrella in her left hand and it was now held tightly, as if she could use it as a weapon. Which she couldn't, of course. She loosened the grip, calming herself. It wasn't going to be that bad. Just maybe some few weird glances and some questions that they will have vague answers for. So Ebony was calmed down enough. In till she quickly glanced towards James and saw a flicker of recognition on his face. Well,that's fantanstic!

Don't lose hope even when everything is at its lowest.

Max rounded the corner into the corridors with his hands jammed in his pockets, whistling a low, off-key tune. He was in an odd mood. Maybe a... neutral one? No, not quite neutral... he just didn't know how to feel. He'd gotten a single letter from his mother with curt words that left too much up to imagination, but that was the usual. The unusual was a letter from his father. His father couldn't wait to let him know the news apparently - because he'd been sorted into a House that no other Avery had been before, he'd be spending the summer with his Uncle Ivor for 'special training.' Whatever the hell that meant. How exactly was someone supposed to feel with news like that?

He was so troubled by the whole situation that he almost didn't notice the odd spectacle in front of him. Almost. But his senses were always fine-tuned to danger, and so instead of walking past the two Hufflepuffs, he gave them a second glance. And then a third. Oh, of course, he should've known the universe would decide to throw this at him right now. This guy. Flinchy kid, whom he hadn't seen since the incident where they'd both ended up in the hospital wing. No, not flinchy kid; he'd taken the time to learn this guy's name in case they ever met up again.

"Hello, James," he said in a voice like silk, pausing at the end of the hall. He didn't recognize the girl with the boy he'd deemed his enemy, but it didn't really matter. All he could focus on was the weird attire of the dripping boy in front of him. "Why are you dressed like you were pretending to swim but didn't really swim because your short hair would already be dry if you'd walked all the way from the lake?"

M. Avery
STA - 15, AGI - 4, STR - 1, CTL - 15

Oh no. It was Max.
"Hello, James." he said in a smooth, but by no means non-threatening voice. "Why are you dressed like you were pretending to swim but didn't really swim because your short hair would already be dry if you'd walked all the way from the lake?"
Dang it, how did he figure that out!? And why did he have to be so darn observant!? And why did he show up at the worst possible time!?
"I didn't swim." James replied. "I fell in. And I don't have time for this. I'm headed somewhere important."
James was still very much bitter about their first encounter, where Max had managed to turn most of the watchers onto his side, if not, all of them including Michelle, who now thought James was a total jerk, and a shame to the Hufflepuff house.
James resisted saying something else about this to Max, but he knew he and Ebony needed to keep moving and get away from him quickly. But he was in their way... and now that James had told Max they were trying to do something important, that might be an invitation for Max to purposefully impede them. James tried to keep his ears and other thing still, seeing as both of them twitched slightly from time to time, as he started down Max.
"Please let us pass."

This kid. This kid. He got on Ebony's nerves. Actually, anybody like him got on her nerves. She didnt even know his name, she just immediately disliked him. People who could get you in trouble while playing the innocent kid, having a freaking Grinch smirk on their face. Short summary ; they were bullies. Ebony, having most of her life being bullied, decided to learn how to know if a person was a bully. By the way this kid spoke and the slight scowl on his face, even though his eyes screamed mischief and happiness, were something Ebony has seen far too much. Let's get this over with. "Excuse me, but we really need to leave. Right now. And, for your information, I was with James when he fell into the pool." She stared him down, her emerald eyes turning slightly evil before turning to James. "Let's go." Then she forcefully elbowed the kid to the right, making way for her and James to pass through. She quickly hoped that kid remembered the rule about boys can't hit girls. The slightly dragged James with her, just to get away from that kid. As she was mentally congratulating the fact that she gathered the courage too push this kid she quickly wondered how he would react. Well, he's not going to go crazy or anything.

Insults were okay. Belittling was okay. Even making him feel like a complete and total idiot was okay, just as long as someone didn't touch him. Grabbing a sleeve would've at least been less contact than elbowing him out of the way, but no - she'd physically shoved him and now his mood darkened substantially. Last time someone had grabbed him with the intent to hurt, he'd put the guy in the hospital, as James well knew. Luckily, he'd seen it coming and had enough presence of mind to reach up a hand, plucking a single strand of hair from her as she passed.

"There's this whole movement for the equality of women," he said softly, wrapping the strand around his finger without looking back at them. "They can work like men, they can earn the same as men, they can vote like men... So that must mean they can take a hit like a man, right? Wouldn't you say?" He had been this close to hitting her. The whole 'don't hit women' rule was never something his mother - the toughest person he'd ever met - had never taught him. But he had been taught that swinging fists was stupid, and two against one wasn't fair.

He took another few steps away from them, with his back still to them. "James, you're going to show me what's under that towel. Not that I care, but I know you do because you're lying about it - a lake and a pool are two different things. And you're going to do it just because I asked, not because I did anything physical."

He finally turned to them, holding up his hand to study the strand of hair wrapped around his finger, showing it off in the light. "Or your girlfriend's going to suddenly show some very bad behaviour. I'm sure you've heard of Polyjuice Potion. I probably can't brew it, but I know some people who can. They won't do anything as childish as getting her expelled. No; I expect that, by the time they're done, she might be looking at... ten?... twenty?... thirty?... years in Azkaban. But on the bright side, everyone will say she was an exceptionally talented witch for her age."

M. Avery

Marissa was walking mindlessly along the corridors when she heard some distant talking. At first, she wanted to walk in the complete opposite direction from where all of the noises was coming from. This thought was instantly gone as she heard a familiar voice. James. Her face brightened and smiled. She knew him from when he fell on top of him from a tree. Clearly, Marissa was very good at introducing herself. She skipped towards the talking before stopping in her tracks. She hid behind a knight statue thing before peeking around. James was hiding under a bunch of towels and was standing next to another girl. Who was she? His girlfriend? Marissa instantly panicked. She did not want to lose a friend, she knew how other girls could be and how touchy they could be if you talked to their boyfriends.

She peeked around the corner again before seeing another boy. She looked surprised as he plucked a strand of hair out of the girl's head. Then he started to threaten them both. Why did he want to see what James looked like under the towels? She went red instantly at the thought but shook it away. Any friend of James was a friend to Marissa. So clearly, this boy was not a friend. A pro to being is extremely quiet is that you can be extremely sneaky. With that advantage, Marissa slowly sneaked up to the boy who was threatening James and the girl.

Mari instantly grabbed hold his finger and unravelled the piece of hair from it. As soon as she had it firmly in her hand, she ran over to James and the girl and hid behind them. She was shaking slightly, not really knowing what the boy could do to them. One thing she knew was that, the piece of hair was firmly in her grip and she was not going to let go willingly.

M. North

Ebony was scared. She didnt show it, but she was. From the second that he plucked a strand of her hair, she was scared. In a normal school, they might have done it on accident, it just to annoy her, but this was not a normal school. One of the common ingredients for spells was a strand of a person's hair, specifically if that spell is directed towards them. So Ebony stopped in her tracks. She tensed as that kid started talking about the equality of women. And at the end....was that a threat? She would have gave this kid a piece of her mind, and possibly might have attacked him. But he had her hair so she stood still waiting for a chance to grab it and go. She almost lost it when he threatened James, telling him to show him what was under the towel. And when he started talking about brewing the polyjuice potion, hair or not, Ebony was going to attack him. Also, why does he refer to me as 'girlfriend'?Well, she was going to attack but a girl intervened. She was slightly impressed with the girls ability to go unnoticed. The girl took her hair Thank God and hid behind her and James. Now he has no bargain chip.. "Was that a threat? 'A woman could take a hit like a man, don't you think?' Stop with your empty threats. You don't scare me." Truthfully, he did scare her but he didn't need to know that. "Im done with this. I'm done with you. You need to get out of our business. Also, very original, playing the 'I'm a big bully' type. It's not like thousands of other people act just like that. I hope you do something with your life." Ebony finished her statement by putting both hands on his chest and pushing him backwards, a snarl on her face. Before turning around to get away from this boy she quickly mumbled a 'thank you' to the girl. Then tilting her head ever so slightly towards James she softly whispered "We should run. Now."

James’ heart was beating a million miles per hour.
"Excuse me, but we really need to leave. Right now. And, for your information, I was with James when he fell into the pool." Ebony said. "Let's go." she said to James.
James was about to gratefully oblige, but then, Ebony pushed Max. Oh, no, James thought. As Ebony passed Max, James was afraid he would hit her or something… but he wouldn’t hit a girl, would he? He didn’t, but that didn’t mean they were safe. Max reached out and plucked a hair from Ebony’s head.
"There's this whole movement for the equality of women," he said in his sinister calm voice James knew too well already, wrapping the strand of hair around his finger without looking at them. "They can work like men, they can earn the same as men, they can vote like men... So that must mean they can take a hit like a man, right? Wouldn't you say?"
James didn’t know if he could ever stop hating Max. What did he want!?
"James, you're going to show me what's under that towel. Not that I care, but I know you do because you're lying about it - a lake and a pool are two different things. And you're going to do it just because I asked, not because I did anything physical."
James winced at the realization that he and Ebony had said two different things. And then he internally winced at the fact that he had winced in the first place, because that contributed to Max’s nickname for him: Flinchy. But then, Max continued.
"Or your girlfriend's going to suddenly show some very bad behaviour. I'm sure you've heard of Polyjuice Potion. I probably can't brew it, but I know some people who can. They won't do anything as childish as getting her expelled. No; I expect that, by the time they're done, she might be looking at... ten?... twenty?... thirty?... years in Azkaban. But on the bright side, everyone will say she was an exceptionally talented witch for her age."
Max had done enough already. Max had taken away Michelle from him, because she hated James now, and that was all Max’s doing. Michelle had been James’ friend, but not anymore because Max lied to her, and made James look like a terrible person. James wasn’t going to let him take away Ebony or anyone else.
James was about to agree to Max’s terms, but suddenly, the “anyone else” came into play. Behind Max, James caught sight of another person in the corridor. It was Marissa!!! James was happy to see her, but after a moment of internal beaming, he realized that it might not have been so good that she was here. Now, she was just another target for Max. Another person James cared about that Max could find a way to take away from him. James tried not to draw attention to Marissa, keeping his eyes trained on Max, but suddenly, with her very quiet self, she managed to break away with Ebony’s strand of hair.
Thank goodness! James thought. But then, he realized as Marissa dodged to hide behind James and Ebony, that Marissa must have heard what Max had threatened them with. So, Marissa must have heard Max call Ebony James’ girlfriend! OH gosh, then that brought on a whole nother barrage of thoughts flying around James’ head. Here next to him, were the two girls he had a crush on, and all three of them were in danger of Max, who would probably do something scary any second now.
"Was that a threat? 'A woman could take a hit like a man, don't you think?' Stop with your empty threats. You don't scare me." Ebony said, rather bravely. "Im done with this. I'm done with you. You need to get out of our business. Also, very original, playing the 'I'm a big bully' type. It's not like thousands of other people act just like that. I hope you do something with your life."
James knew this wasn’t going to go over well, and he had to fight to not wince. A return blow from Max was sure to come at any moment. He was honestly scared for Ebony and Marissa, because this was obviously their first encounter with Max, and just like them, James had started out standing up to him… but that hadn’t ended well at all.
"We should run. Now." Ebony whispered. James nodded. “Agreed.” James broke his gaze that had been focused on Max, and turned around to start off, but wished he hadn’t, because Max was still very much in arm’s reach of him, and was sure to grab his arm and stop him, or worse… grab the towel and pull it off.

Three against one wasn't fair odds. Sure, it wasn't anything like the 1:21 odds King Leonidas and his army of 300 had faced, but then, they'd all been killed in the end of that battle. Max knew he'd seized the upper hand with James and the girl the moment he saw the realization on their faces, but his triumph was extinguished when a third girl joined them and took away his only piece of collateral. Great. Now he was facing damning odds without a single person to back him up. He could use magic - he wouldn't have the upper hand indefinitely but he could even the odds if he surprised them. He could use the environment, too - one girl could get tangled in a suit of armour if he shoved her, another could fall and conk her head if he swept her legs out from under her, and James should be able to be put down with a few solid punches. But then? Either he'd win and get in trouble, or he'd lose. That was no way to fight a battle.

His eyes went dead when he was shoved, and he 'stumbled' back far enough away to size up the surroundings. "Empty," he repeated vaguely, a strangled laugh making its way past his lips for a second. Empty threats? This girl had a lot to learn about what it meant to be a pure-blood. The only wise thing she did was spin back around and act like she was about to run. It was sort of funny, in a way, that three people were running away from one. They must've heard the old adage that a cornered animal was the most dangerous.

When they all turned to go, there was a split second where Max had the chance to act. Maybe he should've just let it all go, but the thought of his threats being called empty drove to him step forward and flick the towel from James's head in one neat motion.

He danced back a few feet without looking up, content with the fact that he'd be able to see whenever he wanted to. Instead, he focused on the towel and tore a long strip off, turning it on itself to make a short thirteen coil running knot. He tossed it at James's feet, a loud wet slap echoing through the hall. "Your reputation." He tore off another strip and concentrated on the knot, quick loops with easy accuracy, before tossing that one as well. "Your friends." The third and final noose took no time at all, and it hit the others with a sound like raw meat. "Your family. By the time we're finished at Hogwarts, those three things will have strangled the lot of you. You've already put the nooses around your necks. I hope you enjoy the way they tighten over the next seven years."

He finally looked up, this time with no smirk or fake grins. Oh. Oh. This was why James had been covering his head. How rich. He was already near the end of his rope on the reputation department if this got out; Max would barely have to do a thing.

M. Avery

James had only turned around for a split second, before, as he feared, the towel was ripped off of him. He tried to grab at it, but both his hands and the towel were wet and slippery.  James reflexively put his hands on top of his head, trying to hide what was there, but he knew it was no use. The thing James had been holding underneath the towel also fell down and hung freely.
James spun around to face Max, and saw him not even looking up, but rather at the towel. One by one, he ripped strips of the towel off, and tied them into heavy, wet knots.
"Your reputation." Splat "Your friends." Splat "Your family."
"By the time we're finished at Hogwarts, those three things will have strangled the lot of you. You've already put the nooses around your necks. I hope you enjoy the way they tighten over the next seven years."
James recognized the shapes of the strips of his previously existent shelter. They were, as Max had said, nooses. Evil. That's what Max was. And he was very good at it. So good, that he had made James' heart feel like it was being squeezed and choked with horror. And it didn't get any better as Max looked up.
Poking out from James' head were two furry fox ears, and hanging behind him, hanging out of his wet clothes, was an orange, bushy fox tail.
James' face heated up instantly, turning a bright red. He became conscious of everything. Himself, his fox ears that had replaced his human ones, his very noticeable tail, Max looking at him, Marissa who was still behind him, and probably staring at him too. James' whole face and parts of his neck were scarlet from embarrassment. All because of a careless attempt at a play pretend spell...

They could have made it. If Ebony was smarter. Or faster. Or better they could have made it. Away from this bully and to safety. But no. They failed. She failed. Maybe if Ebony didn't talk to James in the first place and stuck to the role of the lonely, odd, peculiar girl maybe James wouldnt be in this giant mess at all. What was she thinking? Of course it was her fault, if James didnt met her than he wouldn't be here right now, in this situation. That kid grabbed James' towel and tore of strips of it, tossing them to the floor. Ebony was froze in her place, a deer in headlights. She hated herself right now. She was as useful as a tree stump right now, and all she could do was watch as this kid unfolded thier plan with ease. At the last couple of seconds he spoke about James will suffer, his family, friends, and his reputation breaking apart. When Max looked up and saw James, fox ears and all, his face didn't have scowl or grin. Just a blank expression which quickly changed into something else. She didnt care about what Max or the other girl thought. She just hoped James didnt loathe her for messing up. She also was furious at the kid, and clenching her fist, she looked up towards the kid and spoke in a loud, clear voice. "I hate you. And I would be disgusted if if you were my son." Her words turned cold and the end of her statement. Then she laid her hand on James shoulder, as if to say 'I'm sorry I ruined everything '.

Marissa continued to hide behind the two, it was easy due to them being taller than her. She glanced between James and the girl, wondering if they were actually going out. After realising she was staring, she blinked and look to the boy who tried to threaten them. He looked defeated for a moment which made Marissa feel slightly more better. But then that all came crashing down.

The boy who Marissa labelled as 'bully' pulled off James' towels. What she saw was one hundred percent not what she expected. Fox ears and a tail. She blinked instantly and titled her head as she inspected them. Mari saw James' face turn bright red, just like whenever she got embarrassed. She looked surprised as she went to go touch the ears but decided it was better not to. Marissa finally turned her attention to the bully.

She stepped forward, in front of James and his 'girlfriend'. She had a frown on her face as she crossed her arms, looking up to the boy. "S-Stay.. a-a-way.. f-f-from m-my f-f-f-friends!" She went a bit red as she completely failed at trying to act scary or at least confident. She huffed, angry with herself that she could not do this. Marissa turned back to James with a slight smile. "C-c-cute ears." She gave her trade-mark goofy grin before turning back to the bully.

In an instant, Marissa was not even thinking at that time. All the anger pent up for the past years of her life, making her selectively mute made her do this.. She punched Max straight in the cheek. Marissa stiffled a yelp instantly. She clutched the hand that she punched with and walked back to James. She took a deep breath and tried not to cry. She just PUNCHED a person. Marissa was completely freaking out inside.

M. North

It was honestly hard not to laugh at the site of whatever spell James had tried gone wrong, especially when the boy went red enough that a yellower tint would have him matching the colour of his tail. He distinctly remembered the professor saying not to try messing with transfiguration spells, but James must not have listened - lucky for Max, because the sight truly made his day. He could leave them happily now, content to know that misfortune had fallen on his enemy.

He was actually planning to turn and leave when the dark-haired girl suddenly spoke up, making him pause with a long, internal sigh. "Thanks. Hate is a passionate emotion. And no. If you were my mother, you'd probably be near tears with pride." It was partly a lie since his mother was never 'near tears' about anything, but the sentiment was close enough. The comment had been so far off the mark that he couldn't bring himself to feel even the slightest bit of true provocation, so the plan was still to leave.

Until the final girl - the stammering, useless-looking one whom he'd really thought would stay in her own lane - punched him in the face. It took him a second to realize it, his head snapping to one side as the sudden pain radiated through his cheekbone. Ah. Of course. It had been a while, but the feeling was still as familiar as an old, unwelcome acquaintance turning up at your door to ask for a favor. The surface pain of skin being bruised, the closer pain of the inside of your cheek being cut up by your teeth, and a feeling throughout your head that could only be described as similar to the taste of copper. This was going to leave a bloody mark.

As Stammering Girl starting walking back, Max dropped the shredded remains of the towel he'd been holding and reached up to ghost his fingers over where the bruise would rapidly form. It hurt. He dropped his hand and finally tilted his head to stare at the three kids who'd just made the biggest mistake of their lives. Without hesitation, he turned his back on them and marched up to one of the suits of armour, feeling like he wasn't really in control of his own body anymore. His hand darted out and snatched the helmet off one of the suits, making it look for one garish moment like he'd decapitated a soldier. Before he himself knew what he was really going to do, he'd spun around with his whole weight and hurled the helmet at the three behind him. He didn't really care who he hit - or even if he hit anyone - he just wanted something destroyed.

M. Avery

The girl in the background. The one that looks like nobody would ever take a second glance at because she looked so normal. As if she was just another person on earth, nobody special. Thats what Ebony thought at least. That rhis girl couldnt harm a fly,even if her life depended on it. Butshe was wrong, because the girl pulled back her arm and punched that bully in the face. That girl had guts. Ebony didn't expect it at all. Ebony shoved him but she punched him. For a second she mentally congratulated the girl for standing up to James and wondered if that girl could be her friend in the future. Maybe. She stopped going down that train of thought and got back to the present. Which was this bully. He might have left them alone earlier, but after that punch that idea was no way possible. Ebony started to think about any way to get out this situation but stopped when she saw the kid march away from them and take a helmet from one of the suits of armor. Ebony was scared for her safety at this point. You have a mentally unstable kid who is really mad, grabbing a metal helmet. How can you not be scared? She thought he wouldn't hit them, he would get in bounds of trouble after all. But when he threw the helmet at them, she couldn't say she wasn't surprised. Too bad it was coming straight for her. She was frozen like a deer in headlights, just watching the helmet come towards her in slow motion before it connected with her stomach. Pain was the only thing she could feel as the fell , more like flew, backwards and landed on the floor. She couldn't speak or move, she was in too much pain. She wouldnt cry though, she would not give him the satisfaction of crying. She was so preoccupied in not crying she didn't notice blood slowly seeping through her clothes.

Back