Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

Older brothers and younger bothers  Finished 

Kaegen had been walking around, his soft scarf pulled up to his nose, thinking about the weird nature of people, and how to read their actions. How to know what they wanted to do before they did it to you. He really wasn't getting anywhere with it, but it didn't matter. It was an interesting subject, and that meant it was a subject that Kaegen wanted to think about.
He had gotten better, just a little, at walking on the stone floors. His scarf seemed to flow down behind him, like it was woven from the mist itself. Or, more likely, woven from some really soft fur. The boy's footsteps didn't make a sound, neither did his breathing. He could hear someone stepping briskly up the corridor. Stepping with confidence, and maybe a little anger. Or is that a little frustration. The different between the two was always hard for Kaegen to pick out. The footsteps sounded pretty loud, like a light professor or a older student. A second pair of smaller footsteps could also be heard. So two people, one a bit bigger than Kaegen and the other a lot bigger were about to round the corner. The tiny little instinctive voice in Kaegen's head was feeling uneasy, so to calm it down Kaegen reached his hands inside his sleeves, and readied a slingshot. He wouldn't normally do this, but if it was a upset, older student that actually knew spells, and for some reason didn't like Kaegen's face, or the way he walked, he would have to get out of there fast.
And the best way to escape, was to first shoot the guy chasing you with a rock.

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Adam didn't particularly enjoy seeing his brother around the hallways of the castle. Usually the two boys ignored each other just fine, but there was always a sense of uncomfortableness that accompanied running into a sibling at school. Adam lowered his head a bit, hoping Dean wouldn't notice him walking along down the corridor; or at least, hoping that the older boy would be too preoccupied with his own conversation to talk to his brother.

Apparently, Adam would have no such luck. He saw Dean recognize him and excuse himself from his friends, heading over to where Adam had reluctantly slowed. Dean was a popular guy, and because of that, Adam didn't know most of his friends. His brother had been leaning against the wall, talking with some other Gryffindor guys, laughing at a joke his girlfriend had made. Sydney was nice enough. She seemed to like Dean okay, which was a miracle in Adam's book, and she treated the younger boy well too. She was a sixth-year, like Dean, and wore Hufflepuff colors around her neck. As he walked back towards Adam, Dean turned around and bid her goodbye.

"Hey, Syd, meet you for dinner?" She nodded and he smiled brightly at her before turning and clamping a hand down on Adam's shoulder. "Hey, man!" he said happily, seemingly encouraged to see his brother up and moving again. "Don't you clean up nice! Head feeling better?"

Adam shrugged off his brother's hand and gave him an annoyed look. "I'm fine, Dean. You could've stayed with your friends. They just did some procedure I didn't catch and made me wait a few more hours before they let me go. I've been okay for a few days, now, actually. Why are we walking so fast?"

"Don't worry about it. Are you sure you're okay? You looked pretty out of it last time I--"

"Yes, Dean. I'm fine. It was just a rock. He didn't even mean to...." Adam trailed off as he saw Dean lose focus, his attention switching to something else at the end of the corridor. "Hello? Dean? You there?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm listening," his brother replied. Before Adam could go on, though, he continued, "Hey, isn't that the kid with the slingshot? The lunatic?" Adam looked where his brother was pointing and saw a figure walking the same corridor not far ahead of them, scarf trailing down behind him. It was definitely Kaegen. Adam was surprised to see him out in the corridors, though he didn't know why -- it was a normal place to be. Maybe he just wasn't used to Kaegen being in normal places.

"Yeah, that's him. How do you know him?" Adam asked curiously, peering up at his brother with suspicion. He didn't think that the two had ever met before. Maybe Dean had just guessed luckily?

"Doesn't matter. I'll be right back." Lengthening his strides, Dean walked purposefully after Adam's former friend and Adam grew worried. He remembered how Dean had reacted when he had first learned about the incident in the hospital wing. He wasn't sure if he trusted his brother around Kaegen -- or vice versa. Speeding up a little to keep up with his brother, Adam sighed.

"Dean, please don't cause a scene. I really don't want to have to stop you from doing anything."

"I won't need to be stopped if the lunatic behaves. I'm not stupid, Adam." his brother replied steadily. Looking his younger brother up and down, Dean smirked.

"Besides, it's not like you could."

Adam was about to respond with a snappy retort when the two boys closed in on Kaegen. Nearing the Ravenclaw boy, Dean didn't get quite close enough to touch him, but made sure that he'd be heard. "Hey there," he said dangerously, calling out to Kaegen from behind.

Adam prayed that this time, no one would end up in the hospital wing.

Adam Harringtom
STR: 10 AGI: 5 CTRL: 8 STA: 12

Kaegen had discovered one thing, and that was that people all acted similarly when they were aiming to fight. The walked directly forward, dead set on their target with sort of a grim determination in their eyes. That, and 11 years in the fens gave you instincts. Good ones, too. Good enough to tell that the "Hey, you" from that aggressive older kid meant bad news. If there was one thing Kaegen had learned from the diffindo incident, it was that trying to take someone down usually wasn't smart if they were stronger than you were. If he had learned anything else, it would probably have something to do with the fact that a loaded slingshot beat spells any day. Especially if the person you were fighting didn't have a wand out and was trying to intimidate like a blown up toad. Maybe not the smartest move, especially considering that this boy no doubt had the capabilities to wipe Kaegen off the face of the map with his spells. That was something that Kaegen was not going to let happen. He was going to get out of here, and get out of here unharmed. The empty sleeves were suddenly filled with arms. His hands holding a slingshot level to the older boy's face, right at his nose. He would have pulled back farther, but he didn't have time. Letting the rock fly as he hissed out a warning to the older boy.
"Don't cross my path"
He had meant it to sound more like a please don't, but his adrenaline had shot through his body already, and his voice made it sound threatening, like a wraith's voice coming from some faraway place warning the older boy to avoid him or else. And then Kaegen shot off. He had cut slits into his robe, and it didn't hinder his movement anymore. His grey scarf floated behind the boy as his unnatural smoothness and grace seemed to be taunting, laughing at the older boy's crisp pace. He shot around the corner, out of sight.

Oh, no. Adam knew what was going to happen before it did. The trouble was, he was too far away to stop it. Dean had moved too quickly for Adam to follow, and now he found himself only able to watch unhelpfully as Dean was struck with a rock, right on the bridge of his nose. Adam shook his head, sighing to himself. That boy really was uncontrollable. As Kaegen darted away, out of sight, Dean staggered backwards and clutched his nose.

"[EXPLETIVE]!" the older boy cursed, eyes flaring in rage. He turned to Adam, hand still on his nose, and asked angrily, "Is it bleeding?" Adam nodded slowly, noting the trickle of blood sliding down Dean's face, and his brother swore again under his breath. Keeping one hand pinched over his nose to slow the bleeding, Dean reached down into the folds of his robes and pulled out his wand. "Probably [EXPLETIVE] broken. Of course." Dean raised his wand to his own face and brought it down in a diagonal slash.

"Episkey," he muttered angrily, the spell setting his nose back into place. Dean wiped away the blood and growled when he reached up to touch the spot the rock had made contact, recoiling from the lasting pain. “Alright. That settles it. I’ve got some ass-kicking to do.”

Adam attempted to protest. He really didn’t want to be in another fight with Kaegen, much less have his brother get into one. Adam was afraid for both of them; Kaegen might have had a slingshot and deadly accuracy, but Dean had spent six years dueling, and didn’t look like he was in the mood for holding back. “Come on, Dean, just—“

“What?” the older boy interjected, frustration now turned on Adam. “What, Adam? Just let it go? Is that what you were going to say? No, I don’t think I will. Because you see, it’s one thing to attack my brother, but attack him and then me, and you’re dead. Dead. He paused briefly, seeming to remember something important. “Oh, and another thing. I don’t know if you realized this, but it’s not really a dignity-booster to have dinner with your girlfriend while sporting a giant [EXPLETIVE] bruise from a [EXPLETIVE] eleven year old. So yeah, I’m beyond pissed. Anything else you want to say?”

Adam felt guilty speaking up, and a little scared. He’d rarely seen his brother this furious, and he wasn’t sure what he could do to stop it. “Dean, he’s just confused, okay? Cut him some slack. And would you please stop swearing? You’re going to draw attention.”

Dean laughed ruefully. “Oh, is that it? Well, pardon my [EXPLETIVE] French, Adam. No, I will not stop swearing! You want to know why? It’s because I was just shot with a [EXPLETIVE] rock point-blank, and I’m really [EXPLETIVE] ticked off! I don’t care how confused he is, I’m going to teach that son of a [EXPLETIVE] a lesson. Are you going to get in my way, Adam? Or are you going to be sensible?”

When Adam didn’t answer, Dean seemed to relax just a little bit. “That’s what I thought. Now, come on. He’s gotten far enough ahead already.” Stalking down the corridor, Dean muttered to himself in an angry tone, but Adam couldn’t quite make out the words. It was something along the lines of "Damn right I'll cross your [EXPLETIVE] path." He knew he had to follow his brother, if only to stop him before he could actually harm Kaegen in any way. This could go very, very poorly.
Last edited by Adam Harringtom on 10th April 2018, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Harringtom

Ahead, at a fork in the roads, Kaegen stopped, just for a second. The footsteps were coming after him, apparently his slingshot hadn't been enough to deter the boy. But not to worry, he had read about this in a book. Blowing out a torch on the wall, Kaegen whipped out a bizarre looking top half of some creature's skull. Some rodent of unusual size.
Pulling out a red berry, he scrawled out a hasty 'begone, fool' on the wall. Force hadn't worked, asking nicely hadn't worked, maybe creepy skulls and what looked like a blood warning? Psychological warfare, so to speak. Choosing a corridor, Kaegen sprinted down it. The footsteps didn't sound like they were moving fast enough to catch up with the boy, and besides he knew the way outside from here. If he could make it to the lawn, there was probably no way that older boy could catch up, right? Well, that is unless he had some spell that could close the distance, but Kaegen found that unlikely. In case it did happen, he resolved to run in kind of a weaving pattern, he would try and be erratic, hard to hit. He knew how, it would slow him down but in the long run it would be worth it.

Dean barely cast a glance at the frightening message painted onto the castle wall, keeping his focus on the hallway in front of him. However, he did take the time to pull out his wand, flicking it fluidly through the air and harshly dictating the incantation to the Fire-Making Spell. "Incendio." The torch burst back into life, flame roaring high into the air and devouring the skull that had been left in its place. Reaching the split in the corridors, Dean eyed each one in careful consideration. The younger boy could've chosen either one, but he seemed smart. Smart enough to head for open ground, a place where he could escape. Dean had spent the better part of the last five years wandering the halls of this school, and he knew the quickest route to the front lawn. Smiling ruthlessly, Dean strode down the new corridor and listened for his target. He'd be somewhere nearby -- if he was as intelligent as Dean suspected.

When Adam reached the intersection, he stopped and stared at the bloody-looking message on the wall. Adam had been delayed by a sudden swarm of student traffic a few meters back, and when he had been able to clear the tide of travelers, Dean and Kaegen were out of sight. All that remained of them were the defiled wall and the charred skull, crumbling into ash as Adam watched. Fearing for the fate of his fellow Ravenclaw, Adam knew he had to find his brother fast. If he didn't interfere, there was no telling what would happen.

Adam Harringtom

Kaegen could hear the older boy follow, but at this point it didn't matter. He made it to the open, and was running. Running quickly, but awkwardly across the stone floor. The door, the door to the open, where was it? Kaegen could hear the older boy start to catch up, the longer legs eating up the ground faster than the little 11 year old could hope to move on this kind of ground. The forest, he would make it to the forest. Glancing to the side, Kaegen spotted a window. A grin spread across his face and the plan formed. The window was open, and there was no way that boy would be expecting this. Swinging out of the window, Kaegen used his sleeves as a sort of protection and sound dampener, using the crack in the stone to slow down his descent as he slipped down the side, probably too quickly for comfort. Using all the force he could muster, he leaped off the wall when he was about halfway down, landed softly on the grass hands-first and rolled into a bush. Hiding in the bush, Kaegen pulled his slingshot. If he was right, and the footsteps following him did belong to the older boy, he was in for a world of hurt in the shape of a messed up ear as he passed the window.

Dean had gone quiet, not wanting to alert his younger target to his presence in the corridor. Looking ahead, he couldn't see Kaegen anywhere, but he knew that the boy had to be somewhere in this hallway. Dean hadn't been far behind him, and he was confident that this was the direction Kaegen had come. He must have disappeared into one of the rooms branching off of the hall. Smiling to himself, Dean advanced quietly. This was where it all came to an end.

Gripping his wand firmly in his right hand, the older boy narrowed his eyes and got into his Dueling mindset. This wasn't a standard duel, not exactly, but most of the same rules applied. The only major difference was that an attack could come from any direction -- oh, and the fact that if he got caught, he would likely be expelled. Dean was running through his knowledge of offensive spells, trying to decide which one would best fit the situation at hand, when he noted the open window close by. Could it mean.....would the lunatic go so far as to climb down the castle walls? Dean didn't think so, but he also didn't think that hunting weapons were permitted inside of the school. He'd been wrong before. Interest piqued, Dean took one more cautious step to the window. Raising his wand towards the glass, he began to mutter an incantation when a voice from behind him rang out through the hallway.

"Dean!"Adam yelled, furious and confused. What were the two of them thinking? This was a school, not a battlefield. Lowering his voice so only his brother could hear, he closed the distance to the older boy. "What the hell are you doing?" Blinking in confusion, Dean gave him an unsettled smile and replied, "Oh, uh.....hey, Adam." Out of the corner of his eye, Adam saw his brother angle his wand to Adam's own ankles, and looked up just in time to catch Dean mouthing a word. Incarcerous. Before the older boy could finish, however, Adam's glare darkened and he growled, "I know you're not trying to cast a spell on me."

Dean lowered his arm and slid his wand back into the folds of his robes, but looked into Adam's eyes just as angrily. "Well, what else do you want me to do, huh? I'm not going to let it go. You know me. So get out of my way, or--"

"No." Adam didn't know where this new confidence came from, but he was suspected it was from his growing annoyance at all the fighting that seemed to follow him around. He didn't need Kaegen taking down any more members of his family with that stupid slingshot. He didn't need Dean ruining both of their lives by getting into a blood feud with a first year. Keeping his voice steady, he continued, "What's wrong with you, Dean? Getting in fights with eleven-year-olds? Blatantly ignoring school rules? You're smarter than that. What were you going to do if you caught up with him, huh? Kill him? Cut him? I don't need you getting revenge for me, okay? Just don't be so stupid."

Dean looked surprised, but he was quick to restore his guard and his furious demeanor. "Let's get one thing straight, Adam. You don't tell me what to do. Got that? I'm doing what's best for both of us."

"You're doing something that doesn't need to be done," Adam stressed. In one last attempt to talk his brother down, he forged on. "Go meet up with Sydney. Apologize for abandoning her. And save the battle magic for Dueling Club."

Neither brother seemed to be backing down. At least, not at first. After a moment, Dean's stoic expression cracked and shook his head, smiling despite himself. "Fine. Fine. I think you're stupid, but......you're right." He tried to rub his hand through Adam's hair again, and when Adam smoothly stepped out of the way, it made Dean laugh even more. "Guess we raised you right, kid," he finished, before walking off like he had forgotten about the entire thing. He hadn't, of course -- there was no one that could hold a grudge like Dean. But at least for now, Adam had prevented war. Sighing, Adam checked for the time and realized that he was going to be late for class if he didn't hurry. He didn't have a guess as to where Kaegen had gone, but for now, it didn't matter. He'd reappear in time.

Adam Harringtom

Kaegen was waiting in the bush. He had hear the footsteps, that older boy was coming. He just had to wait a while. He was patient, he had waited days before, and could do it again. It crossed his mind that all the older boy had to do was lay in wait by Kaegen's classroom and wait for the younger ravenclaw to show up. To not show up would be unacceptable, he had to learn. Some of the classes had windows he could use, and the 6th year had classes too, after all. He probably wouldn't skip one just to track him down, would he? As soon as he thought that, Kaegen knew the answer. That boy was a predator. He had seen it in his eyes as the slingshot hit. A predator with a wounded pride. But not too wounded. Kaegen wasn't one to hold a grudge, maybe the other boy wouldn't either? But Kaegen's eyes didn't look like that. He had checked in the mirror several times as a young boy to see if he had killer eyes. But hadn't found anything especially dark or menacing there. All of these thoughts swirled around in the boy's mind. As he sat in the bush with a slingshot. And waited. And waited. And waited.......

It was hours before someone returned to the window, but finally, two shapes stumbled into view. Dean pulled his girlfriend down the hallway, both of them laughing as he led her to the alcove where Kaegen had disappeared earlier that day. He stopped abruptly when they reached the window, turning to catch Sydney as she crashed into his chest and glared up at him jokingly. "How about a little warning next time, huh?" she teased, and he smiled, leaning down to kiss her quickly before she pulled back. "Oh no, it's not going to be that easy to distract me. Why are we here, Dean?"

The Gryffindor boy raised an eyebrow and smirked. "What, I can't be romantic?" he asked. Sydney gave him a look, the kind that asked, you can't be serious, and he sighed. "Okay, fine, I just needed to see if that kid was still back here." When Sydney started to protest, he quickly finished, "Come on, Syd, there's no way he just disappeared! I needed to make sure--"

"But why, Dean? Why? It's just a kid, an eleven-year-old. You're above this. It shouldn't be torturing you so much."

"I know, it's just...."

Sydney waited for a moment before smiling. "That's what I thought." She leaned in and gave Dean another kiss, this one lasting. Standing in the light of the window, they stood close and kissed each other, oblivious to the world outside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam had finished dinner and decided to go for a walk, while it was still light enough to see. It was nice to get outside for a while and clear his head. Plus, Adam knew that Dean at least suspected that Kaegen had fled outside. It was hard to explain, as was becoming clearer every time Adam thought about it, but he knew he had to at least check. Striding past the Great Lake, taking in the ever-awe-inspiring sights of the castle in the evening, Adam made his way across the grounds until he reached the spot where the window should have been. Yep, there it is. He didn't pay much attention to the window itself, instead focusing on the bushes that surrounded the area. He didn't think it was likely that the other boy was there, but he had to check. Creeping closer, he whispered,

"Kaegen?"

Adam Harringtom

He had no reason to hit the girl, no reason to hurt her. But she was treading on thin ice right now. That older boy was far too dangerous to go messing around with, didn't she know better? And what on earth was she doing with her mouth? Did he have some candy in his that she was trying to eat? Why didn't he just hand it over to her if she was that desperate to get it? It seemed pretty weird. But they seemed to enjoy it. Probably because the candy was so good.
Kaegen was trying to decide if he wanted to shoot dean, and risk hitting the girl, or worse, appear like an enemy, when he heard someone getting closer. A student, but who it was was anyone's guess. And then came the voice. It just said his name, but questioning, asking if he was there or not. In a heartbeat, the slingshot was aimed at the boy, pulled back far, much farther than it had been the last time he had shot the boy between the eyes and given him a concussion. That time he hadn't been given the chance to pull back. This time was different.
"If you speak above a whisper, you will die with me."
It was a clear threat, there was no way around that. But his voice was exactly the same, betraying no emotion at all. It was like a breeze rustling through a few leaves. A faraway whisper, that never seemed to come from where the boy was. If Appy was loud, if Appy doomed him, then the stone would be going through his skull. Kaegen had no desire to bring someone down with him, but he would follow through with his threat. And his threat was very necessary. If that older boy ever got a bead on him, he was pretty much over.

Alright. That was it. He couldn't stand any more of Kaegen and his Fens-hunter ways anymore. Adam glared into the darkness, where he knew the other Ravenclaw boy lurked. His threatening reply and the tell-tale sounds of the hunting slingshot that Kaegen always carried with him let Adam determine roughly where he was positioned in the bushes, and that's where Adam looked. Speaking through gritted teeth, hands slowly clenching into fists, Adam let out an exasperated sigh before answering.

"I don't plan on getting either of us caught," he said, making sure to keep his voice quiet as the other boy had so politely requested. "But the wild-animal act is getting real old, real fast. Understand, Kaegen? I don't know what you're still doing down here, and I don't know why you and Dean are so obsessed over each other, but it's not helping anyone. So it's going to stop." Adam sensed that he wouldn't get much of a reaction from the boy if he stopped there. It was a good thing that he was feeling particularly angry. He felt the frustrations of the past few weeks rearing their heads once again and let himself be taken over, finally confronted with the person who had started it all.

"You like hitting people with that thing, don't you?" he asked, nodding towards where the slingshot had sounded like it had been. Adam couldn't see very well in the fading light, which made this whole thing a bit less intimidating than he had hoped. "Does it make you feel honorable? Like you're defending something? What do you have to defend, Kaegen? Friends? Not the last time I checked. I talked to Eris just a few days ago -- want to know what she said? Want to know why she hangs around you? It's because she feels bad for you, Kaegen. That's what she said. She feels bad for you, and I do too, because apparently the only conversations you can have take place while armed. You don't fit in here, and you make no effort to, either."

Adam didn't know what he was trying to accomplish, yelling at his once-friend in the quietest tone of voice, but it felt good nonetheless. He had just come out here to check up on the boy. Adam hadn't wanted anything else to happen to Kaegen, had been on his side when Dean went after him. But that was before he started acting stupid and fell back on his weapons yet again. Now, Adam was all anger, no thought. He hadn't had the chance to do this before, and he knew he'd probably regret it as soon as the next morning. None of those thoughts crossed his mind now, though, and he kept on with his rant mindlessly. "I bet it feels good, looking at all of us and knowing that our bruises come from you. At least I hope it does. Because I can't think of any possible reason that you'd keep on shooting the people that are trying to help you. You're not dying, Kaegen. Neither am I. We're both going to live with what happened. So I suggest you move on, get your head in order, and for God's sake, learn to apologize once in a while." Glaring intently into the bushes, Adam stood and waited for his classmate's reply. He really hoped it wasn't another rock.

He wasn't sure if he could dodge one of those.

Reducio
Wow. That was a lot of anger, but I swear all of it was IC. I've got nothing against you, OOC Kaegen! Guess I was just feeling motivated. Hope this satisfies you ;) !"

Adam Harringtom

Well, he wasn't sure what to think. He knew one thing. Once things got angry, they reveal more of themselves than they ever meant to. Things rarely lied when angry. If a creature was angry, it would snarl at you, or at your enemy. That was how things worked. A angered fox is a trustworthy fox, it's when they're calm that you should beware. And Appy was certainly not calm. Which was good. He had learned something. Learned that he had been fooled. He felt stupid, but a little bit thankful. Something good had come out of his apparent friendship with the red head. He had learned that no matter how happy something makes you, it doesn't make it real. She wasn't his friend any more, he didn't need pity. Had no use for it. Pity was something you gave to babies, things that had to have help to survive. The ravenclaw boy was 11, that was more than enough to be treated as a predator. Not this nonsense with pity. She could keep the knife, although he would change it's name. It was first-knife, the one who is to be given to the first friend. Now it would be first-knife the tricked. Names meant a lot to Kaegen. They symbolized what he thought of things, they were his labels. The knife had been tricked from him by someone masquerading as a friend by using pity. It was unexpected. He wasn't sure how he would deal with her from now on. Her name was still on his scarf, what was he supposed to do about that? He couldn't rescind his protection, could he? He had followed his grandfather's instructions on how to use the quill. Written her name down certain at the time that she was his friend, that he would never leave her side. He had swore to himself to protect her, come what may, he had given her a name and vouched for it with his own. There was a way to take it back, but it would hurt his reputation a lot. Grandfather would not be happy. He would find a way into the school and beat the boy, more than likely. But there was no way around it. He couldn't proclaim himself the protector of a friend that wasn't his friend, could he?
He had thought her his friend, then not her friend, then her friend again. This would just keep going endlessly unless he put a stop to her. Why would she even do this? Her pity hurt more than indifference would have. He wouldn't hold a grudge, he would accept the world for how it was. And if he was destined to be friendless, then so it would be. He still had access to silens fax, they would serve as protection, at least. Protection was close enough.
Now to address the rest of what the boy said. What act was he even talking about? He wasn't obsessed over the older boy, he just didn't want to be hit by a spell. This boy was amazing, he spoke his opinions so frankly, he had told Kaegen how the world worked and most importantly, he had let the boy know that people were horrible, horrible creatures. Horrible creatures Kaegen would work with, he would talk with them, interact with them. It changed nothing but his perception of them.
The scenario was so enlightening, so obvious that Kaegen laughed. Who cared if the older boy found him? If the older boy fired off a spell, then what was the worst thing that could happen? Nothing at all. There were two witnesses, and one of them had been talking about how bad it was for the older boy to be obsessing over Kaegen. People covered themselves, there was nothing that boy could do. And even if he did shoot a spell at Kaegen, he would get a stone in the face. No one could fire off two spells fast enough to spot his rock, it just wouldn't happen. Worst case scenario, Kaegen died. Right now, it was worth it. He could die here, and be happy with everything he had done. It would save him the pain of what was to come, anyway. Kaegen's life was empty, like a emotionless breeze rusting a large pile of leaves. It was unnerving, lacking joy, and life and fond memories. It was just a husk. Dead leaves and wind. Kaegen stood up, and walked out of the bush. He nodded at the girl in the window. He would ask her later what kind of candy it was, and then he headed in the direction of the lake. He would revoke his authority there, and await an angered grandfather.

"What, you're not even going to say anything?" Adam asked, angrily, completely forgetting to keep his voice down as the other boy stood up from his place in the bushes. He didn't think it mattered much, anymore. Kaegen seemed to have forgotten that he was there completely. This wasn't the reaction he had expected. In fact, he didn't quite know what to do with this quiet, unresponsive Kaegen. His anger was slowing, no longer fueled by the actions of his fellow Ravenclaw. "Kaegen?" he repeated, confused. Why wasn't anything happening? Something should've been happening.

Watching him start to move towards the Great Lake, Adam instantly felt guilt crash down upon his conscience and tried to take back what he had said. "Wait, Kaegen, I didn't mean that, that's not what she said. We're both glad to have you around. You ground us." It didn't seem to work. Adam knew he'd need more than just that. From what he had seen, not much could stop the other Ravenclaw from doing something he was intent on doing. "Come on, Kaegen, we've known you since the train. We were right with you up until the chase, and I know we abandoned you, and I don't really have a reason for that. But that doesn't mean you should abandon us, right? Right?"

This wasn't going to work out. What was up with Adam tonight? He was all over the place, a feeling that seemed to be coming more and more often during his time at the school. First he had been mad, then apologetic, and now he felt anger building up inside of himself again. "You know, why do we even bother with you? You clearly don't care about the friends you had. When you're ready -- no, no, if you're ever ready to be a part of society, go see Eris, okay? She still kind of needs you. And if you come after me, Dean, or anyone I know with that slingshot again, it won't just be him you'll need to run from, understand?" Adam had never really threatened anyone before, either, at least not someone that wasn't his brother. He'd never been serious. He was now.

He didn't wait for an answer. "Good. So, got anything to say for yourself?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up in the corridor overlooking the place where Kaegen and Adam stood, Sydney broke away from her boyfriend and stared intently out the window. "Syd?" Dean asked, confused as to why she had turned from him. "What is it?" Sydney didn't answer for a moment, staring down onto the grounds. Finally, as if confirming something she hadn't wanted to see, Sydney sighed and whispered, "You've got to be [EXPLETIVE] kidding me."

Dean was surprised. He wasn't used to his girlfriend swearing. She tended to be against it, which concerned him even more. Asking again, trying not to sound too worried, Dean replied, "Syd? Something wrong?" She shook her head, turning back to him.

"You were right. The kid's down there. Let's go."

Adam Harringtom

He was king of pretty much everything right now. He could hear the two older students up above, they had noticed him but he didn't care. Adam was acting so pathetic, this world was pathetic. They couldn't touch him, there was simply nothing they could do about any of this. You couldn't change the universe, could you? He had no reason to shoot at Adam, but he had a tiny, tiny cocky streak that wanted to make sure the other boy knew that Kaegen was not scared. He was scared of the unknown, or something that could defeat him. And even then he had a firm belief in his own powers. And so he smoothly, with perfect fluidity, turned and shot a rock less than an inch from Adam's ear. And then he took off. He was on the ground, on the grass and the dirt and it was amazing. The boy seemed to fly, his scarf pluming out behind him. He wasn't the best at classes, but there was nothing here that could stand in his way, this was the outdoors. He changed his plans slightly. By the time the older students had made it down the stairs, Kaegen would be long, long gone. He would no longer be anywhere close to here. But, there had been something interesting. Something he wanted to learn about, something he did not know. And so, as soon as he passed behind a little rise, out of eyesight, he slipped around to the lake bed. And slipped around the edge, back towards hogwarts. This was what he was meant to do. Sneak, hide and mess about. The only thing that could find him now would be the human seeking spell, but that would more likely than not just find adam. Or any of the other children at play. The other students acted as his protection, his shield. And his unpredictable actions were his cloak. Why would he go back to hogwarts? He was at a disadvantage there, easily picked off. The answer to that was simple. He had to talk to the older girl. Find out what they were doing. It was something that he wasn't going to let go of so easily. He ran it through in his mind. The older boy would bank on his faster legs, and Appy's stories. Heading out towards the forest or the lake. He would tell the girl to stay, wishing to protect her from sling stones. Then he would go up, and talk to her.
As he moved, he thought about eris, and why she was doing what she did. And then he started to remember more. How her eyes looked, they had looked horrible, dead. Adam's had been fine, just fevered. But hers, hers had been ghastly. A sick thing. When he was younger, he had seen a weak, sick little kitten that lashed out with sharp claws in anguish. And yet it pitied the large beast that had a cut, licking the minor wound clean. So that was it, she pitied him even as she was in agony? At least he knew what to do here. He had seen the beast take the little kitten under it's wing. Take care of it. If eris didn't want to be his friend, that was alright. He would be hers.
For now, he just had to wait to speak with the older girl. That wouldn't be too hard.

Back