Corridors

Register
Sign in
  Back

The Opposite of Friendly  Finished 

This is what made the situation dangerous: the fact that James was so enraged at Max that he didn't notice him pulling out his wand and pointing it straight at James. James was getting tired of punching Max, and he felt that he had gotten quite enough in, but something told him that if he stopped, Max would take that as an opportunity to strike at James. This made James realize that this fight wouldn't go anywhere... anywhere good, at least, because the two would just keep throwing blows at each other. 
James hated this. He honestly, genuinely hated this. He hated himself for fighting, but he also hated Max for being so mean to him. James felt so gross inside, that he was only stopped by two voices behind him that seemed to sound at the same time.
"Excuse me, but do either of you mind if I ask what's going on?"
"Expelliarmus!"
James was about to push away from Max, shoving him against the wall one more time, and also backing away from him at the same time, but he was also aided by whoever had cast the spell, because the magical force surrounding it also seemed to push James outwards and away from Max a little.
So, James staggered backwards and saw his new surroundings, which included a boy he only really recognized from the snowball fight earlier and still didn't really know his name, another Hufflepuff who James recognized as Michelle and he instantly felt embarrassed, and Max who was still there... but who had had his wand pointed at James!

Make a dragon in your mind and then paint it on your shoulder.
~Coming back from long absence...~
Stamina 6, Agility 6, Strength 4, Control 5, Arcane Power 4, Accuracy 5

Reducio
Don't want to make this too crowded, so let me know if you'd rather I back out of the thread!
I won't take offense :happy:

Adam was drawn to the spot by a shout. Multiple shouts, really. He'd been surprised to recognize the voices of two of his friends, especially sounding so distressed. He didn't even think that Anatole and Michelle knew each other. Picking up his pace and jogging around the corner, he skidded to a stop and marveled at whatever was happening in front of him.

There were Anatole and Michelle, as he had suspected. Michelle had her wand out, apparently having just cast a spell, looking frightened for whoever had been attacked. Anatole wore a curious expression, staring forward in question, looking like he'd just stumbled on a particularly confusing conversation. But it was no conversation -- that much was clear. Two boys were standing apart from each other, each breathing hard and covered with bruises, not to mention blood. From Adam's uninformed perspective, it seemed like they had both been part of the fight; this wasn't an unfair battle, which is probably why it had lasted long enough to give both boys their injuries. One of them, a Hufflepuff, judging from his stained scarf, was standing in the middle of the hallway. He looked unbalanced, fresh from the melee. The other boy was a Gryffindor that Adam had never seen before. The Gryffindor boy was just as battered as the Hufflepuff had been, but he looked particularly angrier, and a crazier glint shone in his eye. The Gryffindor had his arm outstretched, properly poised to use a wand, but Adam couldn't tell if Michelle's spell had disarmed him or not.

It reminded him too much of the other fights he'd seen at the school. Adam knew he had to at least try to stop this before it reached an irreversible point. Only half-thinking, Adam summoned up all the authority and power that he had within him, and in a voice frighteningly similar to his own older brother's, shouted, "What the hell is going on?"

Adam Harringtom
STR: 10 AGI: 5 CTRL: 8 STA: 12

Everything seemed to happen at once. Before he really know what was going on, one person had disarmed him, another had laughed, the Hufflepuff had backed off, and a different boy had demanded an explanation. Too many things all at once, and it took Max a second to put everything together through a haze of pain. By the time he realized just how close he'd come to doing something irreversible, he had to bend over to vomit. He spent a second staring at the amount of blood that had just come out of his mouth; that wasn't good. But he didn't have time to worry with all eyes on him and the boy he'd been fighting.

"We argued. We got angry. We fought." Each word was forced out through gritted teeth as he slowly made his way over to his wand, one hand pressed against his abdomen. It seemed to take a painstakingly long time for him to bend over to pick his wand up off the floor, tucking it into his robes to make it clear he wasn't planning on using it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Whether or not he'd done more damage, he'd lost this fight. The second he'd swung his fist, he'd lost. Resorting to physical violence was the utmost sign of weakness.

"Thanks for stopping it, but you'd better get him to the Hospital Wing. Head injuries are no joke." He straightened up, dropping his hand away as he spun back to face the newcomers, affecting a casual expression with no trace of his earlier anger. He didn't want questions, not when he couldn't think straight enough to come up with the politically correct answer.

"I'm sorry about that, mate," he added to the boy, trying for an expression of genuine regret. He didn't want to be known as the local psychopath; that wouldn't win him any favours in the long run. "But I was having a bad day, and I lost it when you said that stuff about my family. Calling my mother that word so soon after she got over her sickness... it hurt."

M. Avery
STA - 15, AGI - 4, STR - 1, CTL - 15

Michelle sighed in relief as she realized that her spell had worked, she tucked her wand into her robes and approached the boys, to her surprise Adam and another Gryffindor boy was there as well. She looked between them, they both looked in extremely rough shape. She started to walk over to James to see if he was okay when the boy vomited all over the floor, she gasped and jumped back. What had James done to him to hurt him so badly he vomited, she stepped away from James and turned to face the other boy.

The boy picked his wand up, once again moving slow and painfully and she got tense but calmed as he put it back in his robe. He explained the situation, she opened her mouth in surprise as the boy seemed to only be concerned with James' health, despite the fact he had just vomited. Then he told them all what James had said to him and what had started the situation, she was in shock, she thought she had James' character all figured out but it seemed that he was capable of more cruelty and violence than she thought.

Michelle went to the other boy's side handing a small handkerchief to wipe his mouth. "You should get to the Hospital wing, you just vomited! Here let me help you..." she placed a soft hand on his shoulder looking at him with sympathy. She glared at James from beside him, how could he have done this to someone he really disgraced the Hufflepuff name.

"There is very little cherry in this cherry soda and I do not like to be deceived," - M.L
STA: 5, AGL: 4, STR: 4, CTL: 6, AP: 5, ACC: 6

Anatole finally noticed the girl, the whole thing occurring in a frantic blur of colors and sighs. For a good two minutes, Anatole didn't even know Adam had followed him here, until he heard the shout behind him. And to make matters even better, Adam basically repeated what Anatole had said. God, it would be terrible to be associated with this Ravenclaw. They were supposed to be enemies, they had even said it themselves! "Oh, let me be the villain!" "Yes, I'd love that!" The entirety seemed to be void if Anatole pondered upon it enough.

But as for the real villain...

He was on the floor, cringing in pain, grinding his teeth so much they could have shaved themselves off. Luckily, Anatole was able to withstand laughing again. The boy's icy eyes almost seemed to mock Anatole and Adam; their repetition only fueling his fire.

Keep the image up. Adam's here. "Hey, thanks Captain Obvious. Didn't expect you both to get all bloodied by punching a stone wall." Somehow, Anatole felt confident in this, even though it clearly wasn't him. Normal Anatole would have rushed over toward the one hurting, the kind Hufflepuff, and assisted him to stable condition, all while jeering insults at the other Gryffindor. "Now I'm expecting you to get up, like a man." Anatole outstretched a hand toward the fellow lion, considering helping him to standing.

What the heck was his brain letting him do? Help the bully? God, Rosie wouldn't be happy if she saw this, but it was all for the impression, wasn't it?

And now, to make matters more absurd, the young lion began to apologize. Anatole cringed inside, that was another thing he couldn't do. Anatole couldn't be strong, but he couldn't apologize either.

He had obviously stepped down the wrong hallway.

"Dancing with fine women and ruling equally fine castles."
The Lord of Advanced Summoning, Anatole Evans
STA:14 AGI:7 STR:4 CTRL:5

Reducio
Sorry I couldn't help it. I am somehow drawn to drama.. And this seemed a necessary time for a crowd.. Ick

Dorothy skipped through the halls humming the sorting hat song to herself. She was off to the grounds to explore a bit. This whole deal was so exciting! She turned into a corridor and and skidded to a stop. Shouts and yells sounded from somewhere. Dorothy cocked her head and frowned. Well.. She did want to do some exploring.

Swish! Her robes fluttered behind her as she half walked, half ran towards the noise. She turned right and..

"Ooooh!" Dorothy let out a gasp at the scene in front of her. A fellow Hufflepuff was bleeding everywhere, and it looked like a bloody Gryffindor had beat him up. Dorothy chocked back nausea at the sight of their wounds. She slowly crept forward, not quite sure what was the best action to take.

She didn't say much as she walked nearer. Some of the other students were shouting. The bloody one bent over and vomited before casually standing up and making a (friendly?) suggestion. He was being tended by another girl, a Hufflepuff who, strangely enough, avoided her own housemate. Dorothy turned to the Hufflepuff boy. Taking a pensive look at her yellow and black striped scarf, she slipped it off her neck and offered it to the boy.

"You should clean them." She said louder than she would have liked, gesturing in the general area of his afflicted face. She turned to leave before stopping and turning to face him, and saying, a bit more softly. "I can take you to the hospital wing.. I know where it is.." Ugh! She sounded so childish, so silly. Aah well. Hufflepuffs where supposed to be friendly anywhere, right?

Stamina: 4 - Agility: 5 - Strength: 7 - Control: 3 - Arcane Power: 6 - Accuracy: 5

Apparently, there were many different ways to handle a situation like this. Adam and his friends took all of them as the two fighters stood back and the situation diffused.

Michelle, true to Hufflepuff nature, offered a caring hand to the Gryffindor boy and somehow producing a handkerchief to let him clean himself up. Adam didn't know how she did it; it must have been some inbred Hufflepuff hospitality that enabled her to get past the blood, the vomit, and the anger to the boy behind it all. She gave him a kind smile and placed a hand on his shoulder. Adam could see Michelle becoming a good nurse or medic some day. What he didn't anticipate was the glare that she shot the other Hufflepuff boy. He had to bite his lip to keep from chuckling; even sweet little Michelle held grudges sometimes, and he had a feeling this boy was going to pay for whatever he had done later.

Anatole, meanwhile, let his Gryffindor colors show. He had adopted the tough-guy persona that Adam had experienced firsthand during their initial run-in in the corridors. He poked fun at the other Gryffindor for a bit, scolding him subtly before offering a hand up. Anatole was good under pressure, it seemed. That was a useful quality at a time like this.

Ironically, they had all slipped into the classic House roles as soon as they had come across the fight. Michelle reacted with compassion, Anatole with bravado, and Adam with cold logic and procedure. Figuring that the Gryffindor had enough help, Adam turned to the other fighter. A second Hufflepuff girl had appeared, and was now tending to him, much to Adam’s surprise. He knelt next to the two of them and looked the boy coldly in the eyes.

“Alright, since my question is still mostly unanswered, and you seem to be in better shape than him — just a little bit, mind you — I’m going to ask again. What. The hell. Happened.”

Adam Harringtom

James had been standing one moment, but then hunched over, hands on his knees the next.
Everything was blurry, and all of the noise around him seemed to be amplified a hundred times over. 
"What the... ...going on!?" That voice sounded vaguely familiar to James, but he couldn't put his finger on it, especially in the dizzy state he was in.
James shut his eyes tight and opened them again, trying to see clearer. He tried to stop swaying, even though he wasn't swaying and his vision was just swimming. In a moment or two, he got his head cleared enough to hear and see what was going on.
Max vomited. James wanted to vomit too, but couldn't. Michelle was there, as well as Anatole, and... Adam, James thought his name was.
"We argued. We got angry. We fought." Max explained to everyone else. James wanted to speak, but he could barely breath. He was too exhausted.
"Thanks for stopping it," Max thanked them, "but you'd better get him to the Hospital Wing. Head injuries are no joke."
James blinked at Max in confusion. Was he concerned about James? Was he actually nice after all? 
"I'm sorry about that, mate,"
Yes! James knew it! James knew there had to be good in everyone! James had hoped that he was wrong about Max, and now he knew that Max was actually good.
"But I was having a bad day, and I lost it when you said that stuff about my family. Calling my mother that word so soon after she got over her sickness... it hurt."
James' happy thoughts crashed instantly.
What? What did I say about his family? About his mother?
James tried hard to think straight.
No. I didn't say anything about his mother. He told me something bout his mom being strict or cruel, and then I told him I was sorry to hear that... that was all! Right? 
James' dizziness and confusion was returning. Michelle walked over to Max, handing him a handkerchief and started reassuring him or something...
"You should... ...Hospital wing... ...just vomited! Here... ...me help you..." James watched through blurred vision as Michelle placed a hand on Max, looking at him with sympathy. But suddenly, she looked over at him and glared. That look she gave him was so piercing, James felt like he had actually gotten stabbed.
I didn't do anything! He thought. I didn't say anything mean about his mother!
But of course, James couldn't say this out loud. He was too exhausted... and that's when James realized that that was why Max was saying and doing all that he was saying and doing. He knew James couldn't speak back to defend himself! So he acted like he was nice, and James was mean, in order to get the sympathy of others! Max wasn't nice! Max was still mean!
"No..." James mumbled out. His vision and hearing were going haywire again... he was losing it.
Anatole stepped up to Maxian too, holding out his hand. What he think of James now? What did Michelle think of James now!?
"Wa...no..." James breathed out. A stranger came up to James. Maybe she wasn't a stranger... maybe James knew her, but was too out of it to recognize her. She handed him something black, yellow and limp, but James couldn't figure out what it was.
"You... them... take... wing... it is..." she said. James couldn't understand her. In a panic, he looked around for someone else.
Adam was in front of him too... James didn't know Adam, but he needed to try to tell someone!
"Adam..." James slurred out.
"Since... question... mostly... you... in... than... bit... ask... the... happened..." he said.
James was losing it. He was going out into black. In one last conscious and desperate attempt, he fell forward onto Adam and whispered with all of the strength he had left.
"Lying..."
Then, James slid off of Adam and collapsed on the floor, completely unconscious.

If he wasn't so messed up from the fight, Max would've shrugged off the girl's hand and told her to go see to James instead. He didn't know her; he had no idea who her - or anyone else's - family here was. Getting caught being helped to the Hospital Wing by a bunch of Mudbloods wasn't high on his list of priorities. Unfortunately, he needed someone on his side and no one else was looking too friendly at the moment. He forced a smile, ever so gratefully accepting the handkerchief and using it to wipe the blood from his mouth and face. "Thank you. I'm sorry for dirtying your handkerchief."

His eyes flicked to the other Gryffindor boy next, narrowing slightly at the tone. "I was only answering the question you asked," he said softly, before lowering his eyes to the ground. "Since you asked, I had to assume you didn't really know." He never said it out loud but the implication was clear in his voice; if this boy had had to ask, he was an idiot.

At the next sentence he looked back up and for a second his eyes were full of murder. Like a man. How many times had he heard that one before? He'd like to see this guy get up on his own after taking a severe beating to the abdomen. Or even just a blow. Ignoring the outstretched hand, he hauled himself to his feet and nearly passed out. He'd been hunched over when he'd taken hits and it had torn a bunch of his muscles up, so using his core strength to stand now stretched every wound twofold.

He felt the colour abruptly leave his face and he shoved his hands deep into his pockets to hide their trembling. Sweat dotted his forehead at the pain but he wasn't about to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing it on his face. You had to look your strongest at your weakest. "I can walk by myself, thanks." He didn't care if the pain killed him; no one was helping him walk.

Turning to the rest of the crowd, he watched some girl go to help the Hufflepuff and the other guy question him. The kid was on his last legs now, and anything he said would have to be taken with a grain of salt if he had a head injury like that. He could barely hear whatever the other boy was blabbering on about, but he supposed it didn't really matter.

"Take him quickly," Max urged when the boy passed out. This time the worry wasn't completely feigned. He didn't want to kill anyone, for god's sake. "I can walk but someone, for the love of Merlin, get him some help."

Reducio
Hey guys, six people in one thread is a little much, so what do you say to splitting this up (half of us in one thread in the Hospital Wing, and half of us in another)? It'll be much easier with three people in each thread instead & it'll give us more time to react to what everyone's doing.

M. Avery
STA - 15, AGI - 4, STR - 1, CTL - 15

Reducio
Yeah that sounds good to me, just start the threads and I'll join whichever.

Michelle looked with disgust at her handkerchief and tried her best to smile back at the Gryffindor but it came out as a grimace. She stepped back and let the boy get up by himself, he didn't look like he needed to much help so her eyes wandered over to James. He looked so confused and upset, she didn't know why. Maybe he was upset that his attempt to hurt the boy failed, she frowned at him but shook her head. She didn't know what actually happened and she shouldn't be picking sides but if James had said something about this boys mother she didn't care for him anymore, attacking someone's family was a low blow and she despised it.

The boy stood and the color of his face drained, she looked at him with concern but didn't move from her spot he didn't seem to like contact. He insisted he could walk alone but Michelle was extremely skeptical. "I won't help you but is it cool if I walk with?" she didn't want him to pass out somewhere on the stairs and die or something.

Michelle began walking a little until she saw James go slack and collapse on the floor, she hoped he didn't hit his head because he already had a head injury. "Oh god, James? Is someone strong enough to carry him?" She looked around at the group eyes wide, only now noticing that another girl had joined them, he needed to get to the hospital wing, "Maybe we can cradle him or... one person grabs feet and another grabs hands?" she frantically motioned for someone to help her.

"There is very little cherry in this cherry soda and I do not like to be deceived," - M.L
STA: 5, AGL: 4, STR: 4, CTL: 6, AP: 5, ACC: 6

Reducio
I agree with the splitting up. Since it's six, half and half could be even. Anatole would most likely go with Max in this situation.

Anatole glared toward the girl, a surprisingly pleasant smile on his face. The least he could do was form a smile in a stressful situation.

Once again, first impressions counted almost twice as much to Anatole as they did a normal person, since he had screwed up his very first impression at the Sorting Ceremony. After that, he had been trying on and off to sew his robes up an inch or two, afraid he would trip on them once more. It hadn’t happened all too recently, but Anatole was naturally clumsy. Wouldn’t make a great prince unless he got his form fixed, eh?

Thankfully, he did not trip onto the new Gryffindor. The boy appeared ticked off and injured already, so that would’ve been a severe downside to it all. Anatole, wiping the sweat from his brow with his robe, leaned over toward the Hufflepuff girl, remarking, ”Formal introductions will happen in the wing. Anatole, let’s get this settled.”

His grin formed into a smirk, his attention snapping back to the injured lion. ”Understood, mate.” For a moment, Anatole’s arm just hovered there, waiting for the boy to grab his hand and pull him up. ”I had a little bit of knowledge by the information here, but you never know for sure.” He was clearly angered, even more fun to play off of. God, the inner him wanted to burst out, apologize for all he had said, but Anatole knew he couldn’t. Not after Claryssa’s whipping. He had delved too deep into the situation in this persona anyways. There was no escaping.

The boy got up, shaky and clearly weak. It was almost a mental signal, screaming that he didn’t need Anatole. At first, Anatole considered this boy to be like Kaegen, bundled up, all mental inside, speaking like every word could be someone’s last breath. It was challenging to imagine a single smidge of humour in him, and like Marissa with her voice, it could be Anatole’s job to drag it out of him. ”More than welcome, tough guy.” God, his lips were too loose.

As the boy walked towards the other half of the crowd, Anatole followed, a little shorter but still trying to play on this guy’s level. It was challenging. ”Hold up,” Anatole began, stepping in front of his fellow housemate, ”I’m not trusting you fully yet. Not a single way I’ll leave you alone.”

With a glistening smirk, Anatole crossed his arms, not worrying about the fear of getting punched.

Now that he considered it, he should be panicking.
Last edited by Anatole Evans on 10th April 2018, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Dancing with fine women and ruling equally fine castles."
The Lord of Advanced Summoning, Anatole Evans
STA:14 AGI:7 STR:4 CTRL:5

Reducio
Splitting ups cool. If we go three and three then I guess...

Dorothy watched numbly as her fellow puff slid to the floor in a faint. She stared at him for a moment, before shuffling forward and kneeling down by him. Visions of her nurse mother with patients flooded her mind. The words spoken in the hospital echoed in her head.

Most likely a concussion. Worst case in area, brain damage. Check pulse, stop the bleeding. Remove restrictive clothing. Stay calm.

Slowly and shakily, Dorothy removed his yellow and white tie. She placed her trembling fingers to where she thought the pulse was. Nothing. She tried again. There it was, a little slow but there. She felt a tear rolling down her cheek. Why was she crying? She didn't even know this kid! Brushing the stupid thing off, she turned to the others. Two were with the Gryffindor, who was already standing and despite looking a bit pale, was holding a conversation. So he was fine. Or close to it. She turned back to the unconscious Hufflepuff. He was lying by the Ravenclaw kid who had spoken up sharply before.
“Alright, since my question is still mostly unanswered, and you seem to be in better shape than him — just a little bit, mind you — I’m going to ask again. What. The hell. Happened.”
"Umm. Could be just me, but I don't think he is in better shape... They're with him(nodding towards Max) so could you please help me get this guy to the hospital wing. Adam? Is that what he called you? He probably has a concussion, and brain damage is possible. I would levitate him but I'm not.. Erm.. Quite sure that would be the safest option. Could we use your robe as a sort of sling?"

Being a girl, Dorothy, whether she would admit it or not, wasn't thrilled with the idea of her robes getting sweaty and bloody.. But if Adam (?) wouldn't, she would. But she would avoid it if possible. She turned back to Hufflepuff boy. They needed to get him to the hospital wing. Fast.

Stamina: 4 - Agility: 5 - Strength: 7 - Control: 3 - Arcane Power: 6 - Accuracy: 5

Reducio
I think that's the best way to go. Right now, it's looking like it could go Dorothy/Michelle/James and Anatole/Max/Adam, but I'm open to whatever! I definitely don't want to force anything. This'll probably be my last post here before we split off.

Well, Adam supposed he wouldn't be getting any answers now. He looked down surprised as James lunged forward at him, mumbling one word and then falling unconscious. Lying? What did that mean? The two other Hufflepuffs of their group went into full-on medic mode when James hit the floor, both girls trying to formulate a plan to get the fallen boy to the hospital as fast as they could. When the blonde girl, Not-Michelle, asked for Adam's robes, he slipped them off wordlessly and handed them to her. He trusted that she could construct a sling for James -- that must have been his name, he had heard Michelle call it out -- and he felt that he was starting to get in the way of the much more able girls. He moved aside from James and let the other two tend to him, sliding over to Anatole and Max.

"Well, I'm not much use any more over there. We'd better get you to the hospital too, huh?" he asked the beat-up Gryffindor. With all of the craziness surrounding James and his collapse, Adam had kind of forgotten about the boy on the other side of the fight. Now, he returned his attention to the other two members of the group. "I'm Adam, by the way."

Adam Harringtom

Reducio
Alright, sounds good. Max/Anatole/Adam can go together, and Michelle/Dorothy/James can go with each other. Max, can I leave it to you to close this thread on your next post? Or should I? Okay, how about this...

Thread Closed, unless Max Avery says otherwise.

Back