Classroom

Register
Sign in

Deadly, Deranged  Interview   PV Kaegen Deathmote 

@Kaegen Deathmote
June 29th
Late Afternoon
Humid
Nervous was most definitely not a familiar, nor common feeling for a cocky Gryffindor. However, this being her first ever article on the paper and interview, truly anyone would be angsty. Dealing with a deadly, deranged vampire who bombed the bathrooms in which she had to clean up definitely didn't make things better either. Marla paced around the empty classroom, notepad clenched so tight in her sweaty palms that the paper was slightly damp and crinkled, ink smudged into an ugly mess. Thankfully it was still readable, she honestly would have vomited if the situation turned out otherwise.

As much as a nervous wreck she was, one thing she knew was that she sure as hell wasn't going to embarrass herself for her first interviewee. She needed to seem professional, cool. Calm. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. She closed her eyes, placing the notepad on a nearby desk, sitting down on the surface next to it and rubbed her hands on her robes, drying them off. "Stay calm, don't act stupid." She murmured to herself in an angsty, sing-song tone. Hopefully, this Kaegen was nicer than he sounded. The boy couldn't be that bad, right? Rumors didn't mean anything! He wasn't stupid enough to attack someone in broad daylight. At least, she hoped.

Hopping down and grabbing the bunches of papers once more as she heard the creaking of the door open, she walked towards it eagerly. In entered a sickly, short boy, who certainly wasn't as tiny as Marla, but he was close. Greasy, black hair almost completely blocked out the boy's grey-blue eyes. In all honesty, she was wondering how he was able to walk through the hallway without any casualties. He must have been blind with his hair like that. But that certainly wasn't the most unsettling thing about his appearance. His skin was white. Not pale, porcelain, or ivory. Pure white. No pigment whatsoever. It sent several chills down her spine, a feeling of uneasiness making its way up her throat. Bags laid heavily under his dead eyes, questionable gray patches of skin dotting his body.

"Ay, it's- it's nice to meet yah. I'm Marla Quinlan, 'bout to interview ye, obviously. I'm gonna guess you're Kaegen.." She spoke, trying to push through her almost paralyzing amount of fear. Rushing back to the closest tables in the room, she pulled over two chairs, sitting down while the boy sat down across from her. "Let's get started, then," She shakily flipped her notepad until she got to the page with the eight messily scribbled and smudged questions.

"To start off, can ye' explain in yer own words what a Dhampir is?" Marla started, looking up at him, immediately regretting it as sheer horror electrified her body, her legs itching with temptation to sprint out of the room. She glanced at the door, and back at the boy, finally making the decision to just look down at her paper, pencil-drawn, awaiting his response.

"why does everyone i meet have blonde hair"
stamina 6 | evasion 7 | strength 5 | wisdom 5 | arcpower 5 | accuracy 7

Why was he here? That was a good question, that had a bad answer. He was trudging along through life, brimming with hate to keep some sort of internal compass going. If it just pointed towards some twisted emotion, that was enough. But it had to point somewhere. And this paper didn't do anything bad, it just printed what had happened so more people knew. He didnt want to hide anymore, he wanted to be feared, to be known. And so he had come.

The reporter was clearly scared, of course she was scared. Everyone was scared of him because he was something to be scared of. Prey were scared of the predators, scared of those who could snuff their life with a single, well placed bite. That was all she was, to him. Another creature, sure. But a lesser one.

"A Dhampir is someone with a vampire and a human as their parents. They're half predator. But usually that is not enough to have much effect. Other than me, the Dhampirs here are... human."

He had met one, heard of another, or something around those numbers. Pitiful, sad. All they had going for them was a certain edge. A coldness that they tried to use to hide their imbecilic nature, their lack of drive and purpose. They were cogs, normal, ordinary. Dumb.

Shade-Beacon, Master of the Castle of Avarice

The only word that could truly describe what she was feeling: regret. There was some aura around this boy, despite looking so frail. An unsettling feeling that he could and would strike any minute lingered throughout the room, keeping her on her feet. But nevertheless, she couldn't blow off the interview. What would the paper think if she did? Especially Alexx, the French kiss ass with her "oui oui love moui" thing going on with literally everyone in the school. She wasn't going to let herself seem incompetent in front of someone so highly... Stupid.

Kaegen didn't make much sense as he answered his questions with a weak, cold voice. He wasn't human, but other Dhampirs were? Was that a figurative thing? She opened her mouth to ask, but pursed her lips instead, clearing her throat. She wasn't going to stay for the interview longer than she needed to, as curious as she was, she'd rather have questions than a funeral. Hastily scribbling down her words, she put some pointers next to them, for a bit more guidance of what to write when she got to work on the final copy of her article.

"What is a positive experience you've had concerning your abilities?" She droned on, tapping the eraser section of her pencil on the crumpled note pad. Once he was done answering, she continued on to the next question. There was no point in waiting. "What about a negative experience?" At this point, Marla's only motive was to get out of the room alive. There was something completely, utterly off about Kaegen Deathmote that she couldn't shake.

"The perspective it can give is pretty positive. Not many abilities come from my blood. Most of this is me."

His blood was an important part of who and what he was, Kaegen understood that. But he also understood that there were several others who shared this blood, although theirs was nowhere near as potent, nowhere near as powerful. He was the one and only Kaegen, and his powers came from no one and nothing but himself. Everything he did, and thought, was because he worked for it. He thought things because he had managed to survive long enough to do so. His blood hadn't done that, he had.

"Harder to blend in. Even if I wanted to be like one of you, I couldn't. If I wanted to hide, that would be a negative."

Of the two people in the room there, one was utterly normal. Talented, sure. Smart, a prefect and part of a newspaper. But normal. She would be able to walk into a crowd and make friends and allies and have fun. Socialize. The other was the complete opposite. Where the girl was alive and thriving, Kaegen appeared sick, weak and dead. A monster and a human, a hogwarts student and something else. It didn't bother him though. As far as he was concerned, friends weren't a thing.

In a way, she thought herself lucky. She assumed that the frail boy would have rejected something as public as an interview that would be seen by the entire school. Especially someone like him, one who seemed to think he was different, better than the rest. He wasn't completely wrong. Kaegen seemed to have a warped perception of life, but he was intelligent. Well, besides the whole blowing up the bathrooms thing.. He was. Well, he was smart enough to create a makeshift bomb. That's something.

"By no abilities from your blood, are you referring to your intelligence? And about your perspective, you mentioned that other Dhampirs besides you are human, would you mind elaborating?" No, this wasn't on the messy, smudged paper that she had hastily written down the questions on.. And while this gremlin was somehow extremely intimidating, she couldn't help but take advantage of this time alone with him. She had questions, and now was the time to get her answers.

Once again, yes, he was creepy. But she couldn't help but feel for the boy when he mentioned not being able to fit in. There were other dhampirs in school. There was one on the paper, one as a prefect... Or at least, that's what she heard from others. She wasn't close to many people, not enough to confirm this information. But they were able to cooperate with others, enough to be recruited for teams on the paper. What was different about him? She bit her tongue, getting back on track, shaking her head lightly. They needed to get this done, and quick.

"Have you ever...Uhm.... lost control of yourself? What happened and what caused you to do so?" She asked rather timidly, her voice evidently quivering. She looked away, a nervous chuckle escaping the fiery redhead's lips. The questions became more personal. Marla hadn't expected him to be this scary, so writing the questions out, she had confidence that it would go smoothly. But something in his eyes told her that he wasn't quite right. What if he snapped right here? Took out his wand and just decided to hurt her? She stiffened up at the thought, and cleared her throat, looking back up at the dhampir.

"And..is it true that Dhampirs cry blood? If so, how does it feel?" Marla added, tapping her foot lightly against the wood floor, anticipating the boy's answers.

"They give in, crawl around, do whatever you humans do. If one were to sit in a crowded room, you would not be able to tell them apart from another student, no matter how hard you tried. They are ordinary, weak. Cattle, fodder, nothing. You are human, and I am nothing like you. Therefore, by simple logic, we know for certain what I am not.

He assumed that answer should have been obvious, but there was a reason why she was coming to him for answers. She obviously didn't have any of her own, and needed everything spelled out for her. That was alright, he had dealt with the paper before, even worked with it. Not much special there, not much to worry about. He didn't care if this information went school-wide, because he was going to make sure it didn't contain anything he regarded as secret. That simple.

"I don't lose control. When I choose to destroy I will, but it will have been a choice, and I will have meant it. If someone challenges me for something I did while presumably "out of my own control" I want them to know that no. Not only did I mean it, but it was probably premeditated."

Kaegen took a quiet step back, more to balance himself than anything else. Standing still didn't suit him, he preferred to shift about, keep moving. Be a harder target.

"Yes. We do, on occasion, cry blood. It feels weak, like you're melting out of your eyes into a puddle at your feet. And no, that is not a weakness.

A scowl threatened to form across her face as an answer came from the boy's lips. They were cattle? His words were offputting. Even after his answer, she still couldn't comprehend how he was different. She held back the urge to say more about the subject, and decided not to write down his answer to her unplanned question. His response, while intriguing, put a chill down her spine and didn't want to document it.

She narrowed her eyes at the dhampir's statement that he never lost control. Not even once? Marla had her doubts. He could have had at least one close call, the wafting smell of blood being ever so tempting for his species. And with people filled with the substance co-living with him nearly every year until they graduate? She clicked her tongue and scribbled down his answer, shifting around in her seat.

It seemed that she wasn't the only anxious one, because Kaegen began to move around a bit himself. She subtly scooted her chair back as well, nervous that the boy would try to hurt her. It was irrational, for what could he do, being as frail and weak seeming as he was? But the underestimated people are usually the most dangerous. And she was not going to be fooled for a second.

"Do others treat you differently due to your race?" This one, she knew was probably a yes. Although she herself wasn't, many people are discriminative against half-breeds and Kaegan is no exception. In fact, he may be worse, considering the things that he pulled in the abandoned bathrooms. It's no wonder that everyone is freaked out by him. But even though it was obvious that people treated him differently, hell, even Marla was cautious around him, it would be interesting to hear it from his point of view. "And lastly, what is a little known fact about yourself?" While this one was the most off-topic question relating to the article, it was the one that she was most looking forward to. Kaegen had a different mind. A contorted one it seemed, but still, different. New. Something she had never seen, and she wanted an inside look to what it was like.

But soon, to her relief, the interview was over. As soon as he was done answering all the questions, Marla shot up out of her seat, holding the notepad close to her chest. "Really, thank you for your answers. I hope to be able to work with you sometime soon," That was a lie. He was terrifying. "Have a nice day!" She gave him an artificial smile and a small wave before shoving herself out the door as quickly as possible, a wave of safety washing over her as soon as she stepped through the door frame. She looked back at the classroom, rubbing away the goosebumps forming on her arms. She was secure again at last, and scurried down the hallway to begin writing the final article immediately.
Marla Quinlan has left the thread.

"I'm being interviewed based on my race. Based on that information, do you think that I am treated differently? How is that even a question you're asking, who screens these? And a little known fact about myself is that I hardly ever sleep."

Was this fact actually hardly known? No, it was pretty obvious. But Kaegen thought himself pretty subtle, so he imagined that this was probably a pretty unknown fact. It wasn't like he made a practice out of looking at himself in a mirror or anything. Mirrors were useful for spying on people, but they made him nervous, and he didn't like to feel that.

He didn't acknowledge her thanks, rather he just nodded. Of course she thanked him, he was donating his time to answer some dumb questions. Sure it might end up helping him by furthering a reputation that would strengthen his walls and barriers, isolating himself much more effectively, which was required, considering recent events that included people breaching his castle. As soon as the girl left, he did as well, however instead of leaving out the same door he retreated further into the library, finding a quiet corner, and a book. He had to learn, after all. This was still some sort of a school.