Classroom

Register
Sign in

Current Events  Private   Closed 

PV Leslez Skoris

Why isn't this working? Gareth sat on the floor the empty classroom, observing the smoke coming out from the mangled pile of wires in front of him. The room was a mess; there were scorch marks all over the floor, and he’d had to push away the desks and chairs to prevent them from being damaged as well. Even his rolled up sleeves were singed at the ends. Gareth sighed, tapping his wand against the palm of his hand. He’d been experimenting in here for the past few days but without any success. 

Theoretically, the shock spell should have created a strong enough current to power the light bulb, but the wires keep burning out before it even reaches the bulb itself. By fiddling with the wires, he’d been able to make them last longer before they exploded, but he hasn’t yet managed to make one that actually carried the current to the bulb. He knew this probably wasn’t gonna work; last week he heard someone say that the magic in the castle rendered electricity and muggle technology useless. If that were true, getting a wire to successfully carry a current was impossible. That can’t really be true though, the universe is literally made up of electricity. There must be a solution to this.

Standing up for the first time in hours, Gareth realized he’d been working for longer than he thought. The sun was already high up in the sky, meaning it was around noon or the early afternoon. It also meant that he had missed lunch (and breakfast. Again). Good thing this was a Sunday, or else he’d have missed more than a few classes as well. Turning around, he once again stared at the pile on the ground. Maybe I should be conserving these…  After all, he’d only brought a couple boxes of equipment to tinker with throughout the year, it wouldn’t be wise to waste them all in the first few months. But then again, he’d made more progress this morning than he had all week. He really was onto something here, he was sure of it. I suppose a few more hours wouldn’t hurt.

Hey, life has no meaning, but what else is new?

Leslez walked down the corridor, currently with no goal in mind. He had free time so he decided to memorize the giant castle-school's layout. Already familiar with a few parts of the building, he was much bolder in his exploration this time. Some of the doors he tried to open were locked and that only intrigued him more. It was pretty calm since he had not run into anyone yet. Perhaps they were doing their homework? He wasn't a fan of those so he decided to push it back for later, even if he knew he would probably regret it.

As he was walking on the fifth floor, he had smelled a bit of smoke. A part of him began to overreact, but the other part was calmly curious. Curiosity won over after a small moment of thought and he headed in the direction of the faint smell. It led him to a classroom, which was odd. As he remembered, there wasn't supposed to be anyone here. Not many like to stay in class after it's over and done with.

Quietly, he opened the door. He tried not to make any noise so that he wouldn't disturb anyone inside, an old habit of him to avoid getting caught when he sneaked out to catch insects in the dead of night. He was greeted by a mess of chairs and desks along with the sight of a few boxes filled with something... string and shiny things? Peeking further in with his head in the room, he saw a Ravenclaw student. So far, he hasn't met any of them. "Oh, hello," he said quietly, half-trying not to startle the other seemingly standing still in thought. "Am I disturbing anything?" He caught a clearer glimpse of the boxes and it was actually wires, metal, and a few other parts to tinker with. 'Was he doing something..?'

|| Leslez Skoris ||
Strength 6 - Stamina 5 - Agility 7 - Control 5 - Accuracy 6 - Arcane Power 6

I could always try the explosion spell… it doesn’t matter as long as it’s energy, right? Gareth wasn’t desperate enough to try that one just yet, though. Given the fact that he didn’t even know all that much about technology, the fact that he hadn’t severely injured himself yet was an achievement in itself. What if… He drifted off into his thoughts again, and became so immersed that he didn’t notice someone else had walked into the room.

“Oh, hello.”

He jumped slightly at the voice, and turned around to see a boy around his year standing in the doorway, staring at him. A Hufflepuff. Huh. He hadn’t seen that many Hufflepuffs around yet, but then again, he hadn’t been socialized much either.

“Am I disturbing anything?”

Well, it was only a matter of time before someone happened to come across this classroom, he wasn’t exactly in a secluded part of the castle. He’ll leave sooner or later anyways. People don’t usually stick around for long, especially when they realize he could potentially blow their limbs off. However, he didn’t like to judge people based on the reactions of others. Maybe this one will actually be competent enough to understand what I’m doing.

“Technically, yes, but it doesn’t really matter.” At that moment, Gareth realized how weird this situation seemed out of context. Hopefully the boy wouldn’t report him for this, he didn’t want to lose any house points so early in the year. But still… This was a good opportunity to “make friends”, as his mother would say. And besides, it’d be rude to turn him away at this point. So he looked at the boy who had yet to move from his position in the doorway, stepped back slightly and offered him a tentative smile.

“Well you can come in, if you like.” After a moment of hesitation, he added, “It’s not dangerous, I promise.”

When the Ravenclaw noticed him, Leslez was a little nervous. He gave off the air of someone judgemental. He couldn't help but twitch a bit more frequent. He hasn't noticed it though. Silver eyes scanned the room, avoiding the other's gaze. Slowly, the twitching starts to calm.

“Technically, yes, but it doesn’t really matter.”

Leslez muttered a quiet apology under his breath, although he managed to maintain eye contact for a bit before staring at the ground, no guilt apparent on his face, even if he felt it. He was thinking of turning around and leaving his sight once and for all when the Ravenclaw invited him in and assured him that it wasn't dangerous. Should he? Leslez looked at the boy with a bit of curiosity. He wasn't afraid of dangerous experiments, just the people- or in this case person- in the room.

He considered it for a moment before walking in "I hope you won't mind too much then, thank you." he replied blankly. Quietly, he lifted a chair and brought it over, setting it down carefully, not too close but not too far either. It seems like a contraption was being made. He knew he would probably need space.

He observed... whatever was on the table. Something looked off. He worked with machines quite a bit, so he knew if something seems wrong... wire placement and the materials... perhaps? He was 70% sure. However, he was self-taught and worked with mostly his gut feelings so he wouldn't say his thoughts are absolute. He wondered if he should say it aloud though. Maybe he should wait until he's asked- or never. He won't mind. Just watching is ok, less trouble.

|| Leslez Skoris ||

“I hope you won’t mind too much then, thank you.”

Gareth watched as the boy walked in, pulled up a chair, and sat down about two meters away from his workspace. Yeah, that’s probably smart. Even that was a pretty brave move, considering the fact that there were literal scorch marks all over the floor. Making a mental note to clean it up later, he turned to face the Hufflepuff sitting in front of him.

“You don’t happen to know anything about electrical engineering, do you?” There were no obvious signs on the boy to show whether or not he was a muggle-born, so Gareth wasn’t gonna risk making any assumptions. Purebloods sometimes got offended when they’re mistaken for a muggle-born, which was something he’d learnt the hard way a few weeks back.

“That’s what I’m trying to do here, by the way, if you couldn’t tell by this mess here.” He gestured vaguely towards the contents of the table. Technically this wouldn’t even count as engineering, he was just blasting wires open with spells in an empty classroom. That’s actually kind of depressing. Really, he was no expert in this field either. Walking into the classroom, one might think that this was something he did on a regular basis, but they couldn’t be more wrong. The entire experiment started off as a fleeting moment of curiosity when he saw a lightbulb in one of his boxes. It’s been a week since then, and he still came into this room to do pretty much the same thing every morning. I need to stop focusing so much on one thing at a time.

Taking a good look at the boy in the chair, Gareth noticed that the boy seemed timid, in a way that he was all too familiar with from past experiences. Then he realised that maybe it was because he hadn’t even introduced himself yet.

“I’m Gareth, in case you were wondering,” Opting out of a handshake, he waved his hand slightly at the boy. “Nice to meet you.”

"Leslez, Lex for short." He introduced himself as well, not waving back but nodding instead. He didn't really want to show his currently shaking hands. Sometimes he hated his tendency to constantly twitch. He placed his hands on his lap, clenching them into fists to stop the shaking, hopefully. Reminds him of back home, when his 'parents' would send over an old therapist who tried to help with his 'condition'. He liked her, but the sessions with her...
They were so boring, and not helping. After his sixth birthday, his parents finally stopped nagging him with the therapist. Wonder what happened to her...
Wait, was he getting off track again? Yes, he was. Darn. Back to the present then. Not a second has passed while he was in his head. That was quick.

"I do know some things about engineering, but it's mostly what I taught myself. I can... give you some advice, but I'm not too sure." he paused a little, looking around the classroom as he avoided looking at the Ravenclaw. "What are you trying to do?" He asked, feeling the question sounded a bit rude, even in his soft voice. He thought about muttering a quick 'sorry' when he decided against it. He took a few breaths since his hands were shaking. Folding his arms, he leaned a little closer to inspect the mess on the table. Leslez thought Ravenclaws were good at everything, since they were the smart ones, at least that was what he heard. 'Never judge a book by its cover then.' he hummed in his head.

|| Leslez Skoris ||

So the boy wasn’t completely ignorant after all. Good. He almost never came across someone with more interest in STEM than just ‘arithmancy’, whatever that was.

“What are you trying to do?”

Oh, that was a good question. What was he trying to do? Gareth would never say this aloud, but in truth, he wasn’t so sure either. It had started out as a curious experiment during lunch, but it had since evolved into… whatever this was.

“Well, a while back I heard someone say that muggle technology didn’t work inside of Hogwarts, so I wanted to try it out for myself.”

After a moment of hesitation, he added dryly:

“You can see how well that turned out.”

His eyes trailed back to the lump of wires on the table. He hadn’t expected something like this to be so dangerous; some of his fingers were still bandaged from when he burned himself a several days ago. That was completely your fault though, he reminded himself. He’d made the mistake of touching the wires before they cooled, and the burns were severe enough that they still hadn’t healed much after almost a week. Yeah, I should have gotten that checked out. He knew that he would have gotten it instantly healed at the hospital wing, but then he’d have to tell them how he got those burns, and he wasn’t sure if his experiments were even allowed in the school.

It was a small price to pay, though. Science played a huge part in his sanity, which was why he was reluctant to attend Hogwarts, at first. But, he also wanted to explore the wizarding world and the boundaries of magic, so here he was. And this world has yet to disappoint me.

Glancing back briefly at the hufflepuff beside him, he noticed that the boy was staring intently at the experiment in front of them. He suddenly became aware that maybe this wouldn’t be the best first impression, especially with someone he'd definitely be sharing classes with in the future. Then he promptly decided that he didn’t care -It's not like I have that much of a reputation anyways.

“Really, I’ve just been blasting it with shocking spells, but they always burn out too quickly.”

He turned and looked at the boy.

“You got any ideas?”

“Well, a while back I heard someone say that muggle technology didn’t work inside of Hogwarts, so I wanted to try it out for myself.”

Muggle eh? That was curious. Then again, all he built so far are small wooden contraptions that work by physics and not electricity. He didn't have anything to build with so he used sticks and stones- as irnoic as they were- to contruct a few thigs in his spare time. Like a catapult and an odd horse that runs on its own.

Alright then. Looks like he'll have to make do with what's in his head. Some ideas ran through his mind, but they weren't good enough to him. without sufficient information on the magic being used, he couldn't really make an exact prediction of what's going to happen if he did this or that. He would have to estimate and take the risk himself to find out he supposed. Isn't that lovely?

Leslez looked at the strange bundle on the table, just sitting there. The area around it was burnt it seemed. Maybe it was an amplifier? He stepped forward to look in the box, assuming he's allowed for now. He needs to know what he has to help anyway. More wires- some metal, a couple basic devices for a circuit and... Ah. Maybe that will work? Needs to be heat resistant pobably.

"How strong is the spell?" he asked, humming as he dug through the box. If he could get an estimate, maybe he could try contructig something heat resistant but a sort of amplifier- or dampener. There are a lot of things to choose from really, but maybe... an amplifier that absorbs shocks and transforms them into energy? The shocks could be used, but the magic is unpredictable in this case. Leslez felt excited- a project after weeks of doing nothing productive- to him at least. It was just homework and lessons most of time, and a bit of puzzles when he could get his twitchy hands on one.

He lifted up things he found interesting and decided to order them so they'd be easy to find. He hoped he can still make something, because it's been a while. He used to make things everyday and thanks to his wealth, anything he needed would be provided easily.

|| Leslez Skoris ||

Well, a while back I heard someone say that muggle technology didn’t work inside of Hogwarts, so I wanted to try it out for myself.”

Muggle eh? That was curious. Then again, all he built so far are small wooden contraptions that work by physics and not electricity. He didn't have anything to build with so he used sticks and stones- as ironic as they were- to construct a few things in his spare time. Like a catapult and an odd horse that runs on its own.

Alright then. Looks like he'll have to make do with what's in his head. Some ideas ran through his mind, but they weren't good enough for him. without sufficient information on the magic being used, he couldn't really make an exact prediction of what's going to happen if he did this or that. He would have to estimate and take the risk himself to find out he supposed. Isn't that lovely?

Leslez looked at the strange bundle on the table, just sitting there. The area around it was burnt it seemed. Maybe it was an amplifier? He stepped forward to look in the box, assuming he's allowed for now. He needs to know what he has to help anyway. More wires- some metal, a couple basic devices for a circuit and... Ah. Maybe that will work? Needs to be heat resistant probably.

"How strong is the spell?" he asked, humming as he dug through the box. If he could get an estimate, maybe he could try constructing something heat resistant but a sort of amplifier- or dampener. There are a lot of things to choose from really, but maybe... an amplifier that absorbs shocks and transforms them into energy? The shocks could be used, but the magic is unpredictable in this case. Leslez felt excited- a project after weeks of doing nothing productive- to him at least. It was just homework and lessons most of the time, and a bit of puzzle when he could get his twitchy hands on one.

He lifted up things he found interesting and decided to order them so they'd be easy to find. He hoped he can still make something because it's been a while. He used to make things every day and thanks to his wealth, anything he needed would be provided easily.

|| Leslez Skoris ||

“How strong is the spell?”

Gareth furrowed his brows. He hadn’t thought of that. The shocking spell was really one of the only spells he knew, and he hadn’t bothered to do any research on it at all.

“Well, to be honest, I don’t really know? It can give you quite a shock though.”

While the other boy was messing around with the wires, he reached down to his satchel and rummaged through the contents of his box. He pulled out two lightbulbs, a voltmeter and a switch, and set them on the table.

“These will be useful for building the circuit. I have a theory that the spell’s just too strong for one wire.”

After saying that, he used some spare wires to make a simple circuit out of the parts on the table. The switch should stay open, just in case. Finally, he clipped the voltmeter on the first wire. That way, they could measure how strong the spell really was. Of course, there was a chance that it’d destroy one of the only voltmeters he brought with him, but it was worth a try.

Gareth looked down at the circuit. With a normal battery, it would’ve been perfectly functional, but with this, he wasn't so sure. Results or not, he figured it was still worth a try. He turned around to ask his hufflepuff friend to do the honours, when he came to a sudden realization.

“Wait… why are you here?” realizing that sounded a bit rude, he rephrased, “I mean, um, how did you find me?”

Not many people would be wandering around inside the castle on a sunday afternoon; they were almost always out somewhere, or at least doing their homework. So if Leslez wasn’t up to anything suspicious (though there was a high chance that he was), Gareth would have been curious as to what he was doing outside an empty classroom on the fifth floor.

Reducio
Revamped leslez, may act a bit different but overall, the same.

The Hufflepuff took a few items from the box full of scraps and spares, placing them near the Ravenclaw as if he suggested him to use said items if he wanted to. He hummed his response to the boy's answers: one in acknowledgement and the other in agreement. Leslez took a few moments to watch him build the simple circuit of interest. He remembered the time when he blew up a weak bulb with 12 batteries to prove to his uncle he shouldn't try to 'upgrade' things that are already meant for the dump anyway. Sure they could be reused, but plugging them in and overpowering them will most likely result in a house fire instead. He pulled himself back to the present, taking a few steps back so the Ravenclaw can move freely if he needed to- oh was that a voltmeter? He didn't know if it would work or not since... magic and all. He let that be though, assuming the Ravenclaw knew.

Leslez perked up when Gareth turned around, seemingly expectant before his expression changed. Did he do something wrong?

"How did you find me?"

Well. He wasn't expecting that. Honestly, even if he didn't lie it would seem suspicious, right? He tried to give it a go anyway. He gave a small sigh before shrugging and giving his answer "I was only walking around- everyone else was busy so I didn't really have a point in mind, and then I saw the smoke. Can't blame my curiosity right?" his expression remained blank.

|| Leslez Skoris ||

“Okay, that’s fair.”

So Leslez wasn’t up to anything suspicious. That was a relief. He did give off a sort of curious vibe (which is basically necessary when it comes to science), so that was good. He also knew actual stuff about electricity, though Gareth wasn’t so sure if he was muggleborn or not. He didn't seem very threatening either. Alright, this dude’s officially not-sketchy.

That added one person to his list of potential people to go to when he wanted to experiment in the middle of the night. Or blow something up. Granted, Leslez was the only person on that list right now, as he barely knew anybody in his year. However, there were still a whole 7 years before him, so anything could happen.

But right now, he had to focus on the project before him.

“Alright,” he sighed, absentmindedly scanning his eyes over the circuit. “If you wanna-

“Wait.”

He stopped mid-sentence, reaching down to the voltmeter and un-clipping it. He'd forgotten to connect it parallel to the circuit, which was stupid. Cringing slightly, he quickly attached it back over the dead battery, this time in the correct place. Well that was embarrassing. Of course, he had to make a mistake when another student was here to witness it.

After giving the connecting wires one final tweak, Gareth flipped the switch, and gestured to the circuit. 

“Do you wanna cast the spell?”

Leslez felt as if something was wrong with the circuit, but it seems Gar spotted it before him. The voltmeter! How could he not notice such a big switch up? The Ravenclaw seemed to be embarrassed. "No need to apologize. I don't think I noticed it either." He shook his head, ashamed himself. If his uncle was here, he'd probably smirk at him. If he had a voice he would've been snickering at his mistake but refuse to tell him.

Despite that... Leslez missed their times together... He hoped he can see him again soon.

Back to the project now. Garreth offered him a chance to use the spell, which was a really appealing idea and all but:

1. He has no idea what spell it was.
2. He'd rather not blow them both up.
3. ...wait a second!

"I don't think this is such a good idea." He told him. He finally remembered was he had been meaning to remember! "Technology from non-magic users will not work well with magic. We'll probably not get anywhere with this. Besides, we'll waste a good voltmeter." He shrugged. "I suggest we try other things with magic, but technology doesn't seem like the best idea." One of the Hufflepost's latest news was of a campout gone wrong, and from what he heard, it's because of technology.

"Maybe we should make something else instead, without tech?" he suggested. Though is Gar was adamant in his ideas, he suppose he'l hide behind a table or something.

|| Leslez Skoris ||

“Maybe we should make something else instead, without tech?”

Gareth frowned. Are you kidding me?

“Don’t be silly, the effects won’t be THAT bad, I only-”

He froze, eyes racing over the circuit in front of him. Now that he thought about it…

Of course, with a regular battery, the added wires would make the circuit less powerful, and therefore leave it less likely to blow up. However, with a magical spell, there was no way of telling if the spell would behave as electricity normally would.

Throughout this entire time, Gareth was counting on the fact that shocking spells would administer the same amount of volts with each try. They don’t, which is a fact that he foolishly forgot until now. Still, he wasn’t able to realise it earlier, as all the simple circuits exploded anyway, so there was no way of telling how powerful the spell was.

There’s a very low possibility that the spell will stay the same with extra light bulbs and wires. It will probably become more powerful as more resistance is added, which means-

“...Oh.”

Which means that the circuit will likely explode, and probably cause serious damage.

Gareth sat back in his chair. Leslez was right; there would probably be a serious health risk if they proceeded with their current plan. But there was no other way to complete the experiment. He needed to do this. If he were perfectly honest with himself, he’d be fine with taking the risk of explosion if he were by himself.

Except he wasn’t by himself. This time, there was another person with him, and an innocent one at that. And unlike his many previous experiments, he was inside, in a classroom that would probably be in use the next term. How could he risk destroying the room, especially when there was another innocent student beside him?

This is why I work alone.

Looking up at his surroundings for the first time in hours, Gareth noticed the disheveled state the room was in. It looked like someone had been dueling exclusively with firearms. Mulling over the events of the past week, he suddenly wondered if there was a point to all this. What was he trying to accomplish again?

There really is no point, is there?

Without any explanation, he stood up and started disconnecting the circuit, and putting the pieces back into his rumpled satchel.