Classroom

Register
Sign in

Practice Makes Perfect  PV Landon Storm   Closed 

At promptly 4:50 PM, Diane left her cozy perch in the Slytherin common room to make her way towards the row of unused classrooms on the second floor. She and Landon had agreed that morning at breakfast to practice their newly learned spells together in one of the classrooms at 5 PM, which would give them time to rest and relax as well as finish off any homework after classes ended for the day. As she made her way up the stairs from the basements, the air became warmer and dryer, and the overall damp atmosphere improved significantly. Her parents had told her stories about the nobility and greatness of Slytherin house, but they had failed to mention how supremely uncomfortable it was to actually live there. For a brief second, she imaged what it would be like to live high in the airy Ravenclaw tower, surrounded by spectacular views of the Scottish highlands, or in the warm, cozy Hufflepuff dorms, where food was within a minute's walk away. Diane immediately felt guilty for "betraying" her house, and put the thought out of her mind.

At exactly 4:55, Diane reached the second floor and found an empty classroom right by the staircase. She paced back and forth in front of the door as she waited for Landon to show up. What if he didn't come? She'd look like a fool, waiting here for him. Suddenly, Diane began having second thoughts about her new friend. Father had always told her not to trust a muggle born, and here she was disobeying and paying the price! She had half made up her mind to return back to the dormitory when she heard footsteps in the otherwise empty corridor. She glanced up and a flood of relief swept over her as she realized it was Landon.

"Didn't think you were going to come," she half-joked with a wry smile. A quick glance at her watch told her that it was 4:59, and he hadn't even been late. Diane felt like kicking herself for the remark. "But I'm glad you're here," she added quickly, to compensate for her previous comment.

@Landon Storm
Last edited by Arc Perscivious on 2nd August 2019, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Inactive for 1 month

It had been some weeks since the sorting ceremony and Landon was well into his studies at Hogwarts. Between the busy class schedules, frequent trips to the Great Hall to sustain his energy as he dived into his studies, and the endless fleeting faces that pushed and shoved their way past Landon, he barely had any real time to make some genuine connections with his fellow peers. It had made him miss home often, especially his family and friends.

But that had changed that morning when Landon ran into a fellow Slytherin, Diane, at breakfast. They had briefly met the night they both arrived to the school but it seemed that their hectic schedule didn't allow them much time to socialize outside of class. They arranged a time and place for them to meet later in the afternoon to review some new spells and wand maneuvers. Truthfully, Landon was more interested in practicing the latter. He was still reluctant to try any spells outside the direct supervision of a Professor and he wasn't exactly sure if they'd be breaking any specific school rules by doing so.

Either way, five o'clock was fast approaching and Landon pocketed his wand and made his way to the second floor from his dorm. He took a quick glance at his watch and realized how close he was cutting it. The last thing he wanted was to make Diane feel like she had been stood up or tricked into hanging out. He knew how that felt, the embarrassment, was hard to forget. But that was a different life.

The climb from the Slytherin dungeons was a long one and if it were not for the cool air that prevailed it's brick hallways, Landon was sure he'd build up a sweat for how fast he moved. A chamber-like door was opened and he slipped through and made his way through the main hallway, pushing against the usual dinner-time crowd. It had taken some practice since arriving but he had begun to accurately time the grand staircase's mechanics and within minutes, he was speed-walking down a second floor corridor, his footsteps echoing back toward him.

Spotting Diane, he waved at her, a genuine smile spreading across his face. "And miss the future expressions of pure shock and horror when I tell you how Muggles have to deal with spring-time allergies? Never!" He chucked, reminding her of their agreed upon arrangement. Diane would continue to help get Landon accustomed to the world of magic, in ways that their classes couldn't, and he'd answer any and all questions about what it took to be a muggle. He looked around the hallway and then to the empty classroom's door that was left ajar.

Giving Diane a sincere look of worry he noted his concern, "You sure we won't get detention for this?" The last thing he needed was for his parents to get wind that he had landed himself in trouble - a first for the dark-haired boy.

Tag: @Diane Wright

A Seer and a Perfectionist
Stamina 7 | Evasion 4 | Strength 1 | Wisdom 6 | Arcane 9 | Accuracy 8

Diane chuckled uncertainly. "Allergies...?" she began, but trailed off. Wizards get them too. We're still humans, even though we may not always act it," she joked. It was true that allergies were hardly an inconvenience for wizards; her mother had them and she would always just magic them away. She realized that muggles didn't have that luxury, and her face became one of shock and horror, as Landon had predicted. She couldn't imagine getting anything done with the perpetual sniffing, coughing, and sneezing that spring-time allergies brought, and she shuddered at the very thought. Diane's first lesson in Muggle life was already proving to be much more jarring than she had expected.

Landon's question brought her back to reality. "I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with a few motivated, dedicated students practicing spells outside of class," she replied confidently. "And if anyone says anything to us, my father will be the first to know, and he'll get us out of trouble in an instant." It was true. Members of the school board had been coming to the Wright manor in London for various dinners and events for as long as Diane could remember. "And besides, my parents went to school at the same time as that Harry Potter, and they told me he and his little friends probably broke every school rule there is here, and they were still the headmaster's favorites. It's not about what you do, it's about who you know," she added, trying to be reassuring.

Diane entered the classroom and turned back around to face Landon. "So. What should lesson number one of 'Wizard Life 101' be? Anything you're dying to know?," she inquired. Before he could answer, she continued, "I also have a spell in mind for us to practice. That Levitating charm took me a few tries to perfect, and I think a little bit of work on that wouldn't hurt, for me at least. Anything you want to do"

@Landon Storm

Landon waited for the realization to set in for Diane. He knew allergies were a full blown worldly epidemic but many of those individuals didn’t grow up with a magical solution to the unbearable uncomfortableness that came with allergy symptoms. When her facial expression completely twisted in horror, Landon couldn’t hold back the laughter that erupted from within. Even seconds after, he was still doubled over and holding his stomach as the convulsions of laughter continued to come.

“I wish I had my iPhone to capture the look on your face.” He was able to say in between lingering chuckles. Straightening himself, Landon was finally able to subdue his laughter long enough to catch the seriousness in Diane’s voice about her father’s influence and ability to get them out of any trouble.

Was that what privilege awarded people?

It was a fleeting thought and he felt guilty for thinking it as soon as the assumption formed in his head. It was unfair to judge her by it. It was an innocent comment, used to relieve his paranoia about getting reprimanded by staff.

When Diane slipped through the open door, Landon followed behind. The room was still well lit with the sun’s soft rays penetrating through the gothic-like windows, creating a prism of colors that danced along the unadorned walls. Tables were organized in neat rows with a good portion of the front room free of any desk, save for a podium. It was clear that it must of been used as a lecture hall with enough maneuvering room in the front for demonstrations. He hadn’t had any classes in this specific space but he was familiar with the room’s setup.

Looking back at Diane, he heard a familiar name that he had recalled reading about in one of his books or perhaps in a checked out text. “Harry Potter. I remember reading about him. He’s famous. Survived death a couple of times, too.” There was no envy in his tone. The last thing he needed was to get some kind of romanticized notion about being a rule breaker or some kind of hero. His parents made it clear to him before he boarded the train: one slip up and he was out. There was no room to negotiate.

When Diane asked if he had any inquiries about the wizardry world, Landon couldn’t help but take the opportunity to ask a pressing question. It was one he was embarrassed to ask anyone else - even any of his professors due to its personal nature. “Well, since you asked ... Is it possible that there is someone in my family that might of been a witch or wizard? Like - is there a ‘magical yellow pages’ for wizards and witches?” Landon hoped Diane understood the muggle-reference. Ever since she had told him about her pure blooded lineage and the difference between the two of them, he wondered if there was someone in his family that could actually perform magic. He was growing more and more suspicious when he thought back on all those occasions his parents were ambiguous about any other family he might of had in London. And his curiosity only grew.

On the topic of practicing spells, he hesitated removing his wand but nodded at the thought of practicing the levitation-spell. It was harmless enough and his wrist work could use some refining. He had reached into his pocket, rummaging through the robe until his fingers wrapped around his wand’s etched handle before taking it out and letting the magical item hang innocently at his side. He was wary of pointing it at any one direction - the memory of what occurred in Olivander’s still fresh in his mind despite the weeks that had passed since then.

This time, Landon had really stumped her. "Your iPhone? What's that?" she began, but then stopped herself. "Actually, I'm not sure I want to know. I might have had enough of Muggles 101 for today," she joked. Whatever an iPhone was, it would have to wait. Diane already had enough on her hands without worrying about Muggle technology on top of it all.

In the classroom, Diane walked along the expansive wall on the far side of the room. Its many windows let in the perfect amount of light; she could see the dust motes floating in the sunbeams. A deep breath told her that the room smelled a little musty, kind of like old books. It smelled just like her parents library back home, a scent that she had come to associated with the joy of learning. Diane had spent countless hours in there, reading late into the night about all sorts of different magical topics: palmistry, vampires, blast-ended skrewts; you name it, she had read about it somewhere. The smell filled Diane with a feeling of nostalgia and homesickness, and she let out a sigh.

Landon's voice snapped her out of her reverie. He had mentioned reading about Harry Potter. "Yeah, everyone acts like he's some kind of great hero, but according to my parents, he's really not all he's cracked up to be," she replied. "Even though he killed the Dark Lord, he did a whole lot of unnecessary damage before that and let a lot of people die for him." Even as she said it, she doubted the truthfulness of her statement. Diane was just regurgitating things her parents had told her, but she was slowly beginning to question their teachings. It seemed like they may have been wrong about muggle-borns, so they might also have told her wrong about Britain's Second Wizarding War. Sure, they had lived through it, but that didn't mean they were immune to false information.

She was, however, left stumped by Landon's question. Slowly, she replied, "Well, I don't know what a yellow pages is, but there's plenty of lists people have made of pureblood family names." Diane watched him carefully to gauge his reaction to what she was about to say. "I know my family is in those lists, but they're not comprehensive. People like the Weasleys and Potters are left out of them for being blood traitors. And if any of your relatives was a pureblood wizard, they probably wouldn't be in it either, since they joined a Muggle family," she explained. However, she didn't want to let him down, so she added, "But it certainly wouldn't hurt to check!"

When Landon nodded, Diane took out her own wand. She felt a flitter of nervousness in her own belly, since she had never done magic outside of a supervised classroom before. It would be really embarrassing if she hurt someone trying to perform the Levitating Charm, and she was suddenly having second thoughts about this. Even though she knew the theory of "Wingardium Leviosa" like the back of her hand, the practical application hadn't come as easily to her as she had expected.

@Landon Storm

Landon chuckled at how quick she gave up on trying to decipher the foreign words and concepts he threw at her from his muggle world. He envied her ignorance, really. Not knowing about a different world was better than discovering one and having to adapt around individuals who had lived in it for all their lives. Sometimes he felt alone at Hogwarts. Not because he was so far from home but because he was so far from his life, from what had been normal for eleven years.

Landon followed Diane’s movement across the room and noted her heavy sigh. Perhaps he wasn’t the only one in the room that was struggling through something personal. It was so easy to be wrapped up in his own issues that he never considered the fact that perhaps individuals who were adept at magic had their own problems. He felt guilty for thinking she had an easy and privileged life moments ago.

At the tone of her voice and the comments she made about the famous wizard, he wondered if she admired any of his accomplishments. He recalled reading that Potter’s actions in defeating Voldemort led to the world finding some sense of peace and acceptance or at least he thought that was what he read. With all the readings he was assigned, some information felt more like fleeting knowledge than retention of facts.

When Diane answered his question about his family tree inquiry, there was something about what she said that didn’t sit well with him. “Blood traitors?” It was a poor choice of words to use in front of the muggle-born.

Landon had completely forgotten the wand in his hand and the reason why they had even met up in the classroom. He turned completely to Diane and pushed the topic further. “Exactly what is your, or your family’s, opinion about people who aren’t pure blood? Do you think someone in my family is a blood traitor?” Landon tried to keep the accusatory tone out of his question but his face gave away his suspicious feeling. It had been some time since he first met Diane and he had learned a little more about his house’s history, and reputation, on how they treated ‘muggle borns.’

Landon decided to postpone their wand waving practice until he was able to get a genuine and solid read on Diane. He knew that his first impression of her was positive but he was also aware of how first impressions could be deceiving.

Diane blinked at Landon. She realized that he must have been offended by what she had said--although she no longer saw being a "blood traitor" as a bad thing, she did realize the name itself implied a negative connotation. Her face burned red as she realized how rude she must have sounded, and she also noticed a hint of an accusatory tone in Landon's voice, as well as a suspicious look on his face. She swallowed and tried to backtrack her words.

"I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. Blood traitor is the word for purebloods who associate with or marry Muggles or muggle-borns," Diane explained. She added, "It definitely isn't a bad thing, and a lot of so-called blood-traitors call themselves that and are proud of it. I really didn't mean it in a bad way at all; it's just the common term." She hoped that had cleared things up. Diane thought Landon was really nice, and she didn't want to lose her chance at developing a friendship with him.

His next question made it clear that her previous explanation hadn't been adequate. However, she didn't want to lie, so she tried to circumvent the question. "My family--," she began, but then she changed her mind. Even though she was beginning to question her parents' beliefs, she didn't want to out them as bigots to everyone. "I have nothing against people who aren't pureblood. Regardless of what my parents taught me, I've met many muggle-borns so far at Hogwarts, yourself included, who seem to be perfectly nice people and capable wizards. And, to be blunt, one of your ancestors must have been a blood traitor wizard. Like I said before, it's not a bad thing, and all it means is that he or she was a wizard and married into a Muggle family," she replied after a moment's thought.

Diane glanced around the room. It had already been a half hour, and she really wanted to get to work on those spells. "Now, if you don't have any more questions, should we start practicing?" she inquired. If Landon had any more questions, she didn't mind answering them, but she hoped he wouldn't press further about her family. That was one thing she wasn't ready to talk about yet, not until she had made up her mind about her own beliefs.

(OOC: even though Diane hopes he doesn't ask about her family, feel free to have Landon ask those questions if you so wish! It would add some interesting drama :p)

@Landon Storm

Landon realized, by the look on Diane's face, that she hadn't meant any harm by her choice of words. Still though, 'blood traitor' still felt like it was used as a derogatory term more often than anything else even if Diane hadn't used it as one. There were so many parallels between the ways magical families dubbed one another to the way society enjoyed putting labels on people that were different. In that moment, he remembered a memory of a conversation Landon had with his mother a few years ago. It had stemmed from boys in school calling one another gay, homo, and another more foul term. He remembered asking his mom why kids used certain terms with a negative connotation. And he found himself repeating her response from then:

"People tend to label one another to create division."

Landon let those words hang in the air for a moment before taking out his wand again, satisfied with her explanation. He had a suspicion that there had to have been someone in his family with magical blood and when Diane confirmed it, he let his mind wander a little about who it might have been – if they were even alive. But it was a thought for another time.

Letting his grip on his wand loosen a little in his grasp, Landon studied Diane’s wrist movement and began mimicking them beside her. Nothing happened of course because he hadn’t spoken the incantation. Yet another stark reminder that words had power – whether or not you wanted them to.

Suspecting that Diane didn’t want to talk about her family, Landon avoided the topic all together and decided to break the tension that had been brewing by joking, “Don’t blame me if I accidentally turn your hair pink or something.”