Classroom

Register
Sign in
  Back

Ancient Runes - Study Session RP  Closed 

Don't randomly combine runes. YOU WILL EXPLODE! Archer wrote on his notebook in big, bold letters. So far, it's the only thing he's written on the page other than the poorly copied Anglo-Saxon Runes. But as far as the hufflepuff was concerned, it was also the most important. Looking at the jumble of lines and shapes conjured by the professor, of what Archer could only assume as either Japanese or Norse Runes, Or both? Archer responded, "No siree, not me. I like Anglo-Saxon Runes juuuust fine. In fact, they are my favorite type of ancient runes. None of those other ones for me, thank you very much!"

While listening to the professor, Archer would idly attempt to draw one of the Runes on a spare piece of paper. Not combining them mind you. He liked his limbs where they were. One of the other students asked a question about runes for concealment and protection. Archer's eyes narrowed as he scanned the boy's face, Wait... Was he always here? I could've sworn that desk was empty...Another one, the pink haired girl beside him, asked to be taught some combinations. A sentiment which Archer agreed with wholeheartedly, impatient to try some magic himself. "Yes professor. Can you teach us the combination you used on the roof earlier? I wouldn't mind sleeping under the starry night sky." Archer grinned.

Another kid, a boy that Archer thought he'd seen around the Hufflepuff table asked, some good questions. Great questions in fact. Why can't I think of questions like that? I'd look so smart in front of the others! Quick, think of something to ask! The young Hufflepuff closed his eyes and racked his brain painfully until... "Professor! Do we have to maintain runes? Or is it a cast and forget kind of deal?" Ha! Try that one on for a size...The boy thought proudly, a self-satisfied grin on his face.

Magnus looked over to Kaegen to answer his question "A Rune combination to make a place hard to find?" He repeated the question "Depending on the rune combination, you can cloak a place but you would need to make runes circle around the area, I shouldn't reveal which of the runes you would use so I don't get blamed for starting a prank war" he chuckled softly after saying this.

Walking over to Aurora, he checked the book she handed him and looks over it "Not bad..just don't start making your own until atleast 3rd year or if you have myself or your Head of House nearby to assist" He informs Aurora as well as the class once again.

Hearing Orion's question, he smiles at the boy "Correct, I will say the normal amount of runes combinations are around three or four, I have seen five runes but the likelyhood of them exploded are high." he informs Orion "But yes good question, two points to Hufflepuff for asking a good question."

Hearing Archer he grins "And two more points for Hufflepuff, you will need to maintain the rune every few hours depending on the amount of magic you put into it."

He nods stepping toward his desk "Alright by using the chart on the board, make a rune on your parchment for Ice Water, the student who does will receive their house five points"

You know..Wizards and Witches these days do not know true magic. - Magnus

"ice water"

He could do that, it wasn't even that hard, he could think of runes that were cold, Hail, Ice from the sky, that would be the top of his rune, To the right side he would inscribe Lake, a source of water, to the left he would inscribe the simple line, "ice" and at the bottom he would hold in in the rune for chalice. Told hold the water in place.

With his runes he created he grinned, Inscribing the runes in his notebook quickly he raised his hand hoping to to be the first one the teacher noticed excited to prove his worth to the teacher, he was a muggle born but he could be just as good as any pureblood and he was ready to prove it.

"Professor I believe i've figured it out would you min looking over the rune I've made I do believe that this one works."

He had a bit of a goofy grin on his face pleased with his success he wasn't the most confident but he felt like it was a class like this that he felt he could excel in. The fact that it was an advanced subject that not even the Purebloods would know.
Reducio

Yes, but why?

Before he got started, something had bugged him about the professor's answer. If runes had to maintained every couple hours, then who maintained the hogwarts runes? He couldn't think of anyone that would be in charge of doing that, except maybe the headmaster.
"Who maintains the hogwarts runes?"
And if they forgot, would the ancient runes simply dispel? Would hogwarts be left vulnerable?
Straying from that line of thought, back to the task at hand, Kaegen considered his options. He could try and make a complicated rune, but honestly for ice water, it was probably as simple as that. There wasn't any need to overthink it. Hail was probably more violent, less just icy water. He didn't see a cold, or a night. Either one of those would make sense. The chalice was interesting, but he didn't need to keep the ice water contained. It might just contain icy water, and then where would he be?
He silently groaned to himself. It would make sense if it was just lake and ice, or was that too easy? Should there be a modifier? Something to bring ice and lake together?
There was no point, the runes were too cryptic and he didn't know enough about them. In theory, ice and fire might make cold water if he had a little fire symbol and a big ice. Would lake+ice just equal ice? Forgoing further thinking into the matter, Kaegen decided on a decent guess.

COMBINE: ICE, LAKE

Shade-Beacon, Master of the Castle of Avarice

Aurora, who had no idea what to do, glanced over towards Orion's work, and copied it down using her black ink and blue gemstone inks, one which was lighter by being watered down. After copying his work, she actually grasped an understanding of how things actually fit together. Even though Orion's house- Hufflepuff -already got the 5 points, she still wanted to have the work done to put in her study notes. She still didn't understand why she couldn't use a pen or pencil in these classes, but she didn't mind showing off fancy inks her mother had bought her specifically for the school.

She had noticed how they fit into a square and how they actually were related to each other, how the chalice fit to the water and ice. By the way they had connected, she assumed that it would be used for freezing water that was in some form of container, and above had the rune for hail, which was hard, frozen rain. Aurora found this interesting because it shows how runes are linked because of the way they are in unity together. "Unified runes work well together... does that mean chaotic runes have chaos between them?" she thought.
Last edited by Aurora Sakayuki on 12th April 2018, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gasp! Archer's eyes widened in pleasant surprise as the Professor awarded him 2 points for his question. My first points... What a wonderful day! A day to be etched into the annals of history... Thank you mom... Thank you dad... for bringing me into this life. The young hufflepuff seemed to sit straighter, more confident, ready to tackle anything thrown at him.

Ice Water you say?! Bring it on! With eagerness, Archer looked at the Runes on his notes. He quickly realized that his notes were useless, the shapes to distorted; and switched his attention to the runes on the board instead. Ice... water... There's ice! It was just a straight line, easy enough to do, Now I just have to find water... Hmm... wa...wa...wa...wa.. Where is it? And what is 'Ing'? Is that an actual word? As much as he tried, he could not find water. I guess... Lake then? Lake's made of water. Having found a representation for both words, he set out to draw it on his parchment.

Only then he realized the obvious question. How do I do this? Is it side by side? Is it right to left like English? Or do I make some sort of picture... "Ugh..." Archer grumbled under his breath, his newfound confidence ebbing. When he looked at the finished image, he remembered what the professor had said. Most combinations require 3-4 runes. Archer only has two so far. Darn... I better find at least another one... Let's see. The young wizard looked at the Runes collection once again, Hail? That's falling ice... But I already have 'Ice', why would I want it to fall? The search continued, Elk-sedge? Tyr? What even are those... There are two different type of trees... And two Runes that means 'chalice'! Why? Does it signify different shapes? Do I add fire to melt the ice into water? Aaaaaahhh!! Archer silently screamed,  both of his hands nestled in his light brown hair. Finally, he just decided to add one of the chalice Runes. After all, when he thinks of Ice Water, he thinks of a cup of cold water.

Finished, he looked down at his "creation", a frown on his face and a worried look. If this doesn't explode, I'll chalk it as a win. He thought grimly.

"I guess I'm done?" Archer announced with a lack of confidence.

Reducio

Kyden nodded when Professor Rosier said not to research without him or Kyden's head of house. "Well then maybe we could set up a time where you and I could meet in the library sir. I think Professor Mellowrose wouldn't really want to help."

He looked at the runes he had copied down and studied them figuring out how he could write Ice Water. He slowly and methodically wrote down the rune as was instructed. When he was finish he sat back and sighed. It was very clear that his handwriting needed a bit work to be a bit neater but that was something Kyden planned on working on. He hid the ruin he had just drawn with his hand and planned on only showing the professor when asked.

Suddenly a few questions popped into his head and he raised his hand. He waited to be called on before asking his questions. "I actually have 2 questions. As you have said Anglo-Saxon Runes are probably the easiest right, so out of curiosity what type would you consider the hardest to master? My second question is obviously you as the professor know which combinations of runes can be deadly, who was the first person do discover the combinations and how? Or are people still figuring out which combinations are dangerous or even deadly just by trial and error?"

At first Kyden wasn't so sure he was going to like the study session as it had started going but things just kept rushing to him and now he was thoroughly enthralled with the idea of learning Ancient Runes. While he waited for Professor Rosier to answer his questions he scribbled down several more questions to ask at a later time, after class, or even a time that he could speak to the professor alone. He didn't want all the other students to think he was some sort of brainiac  nerd but he couldn't help it he just loved learning.
Reducio

Kyden Zarye Goodlow // Editor for the Slytherin News-magazine //

Magnus looks over Orion's parchment, nodding after a few seconds "5 points to Hufflepuff for the correct and quickest answer" He said "Great job, Orion" he congratulated Orion then moved onto Kaegen's parchment "Hmm..to answer your question I believe I would maintain the runes but obviously not the wards at hogwarts, anyway..you have the more original rune combination, looks very good Kaegen." He smiled at the boy and nods before moving to the next student.

Magnus frowns upon reaching Aurora's desk "Copying another student's work?" He sighs softly "Next time do your own please." He said then moved on to Archer and grins widely seeing his work "Very good, could tidy up the lines a bit but overall probably one of the best I have seen."

Moving onto the last student, he nods "I believe I could set something up in a separate section of the library" he informed Kyden then looked at his parchment "So far so good, work on the handwriting a bit and the rune will look better." He smiled and nodded to Kyden then paused as he thought about the questions "Kanji, Norse and Dalecarlian are fairly difficult to learn without assistance, as for discovering which is hardest and such, I'm not entirely sure who discovered it, but Kanji is commonly accepted as the most difficult followed by Dalecarlian and Norse in that order." he informed Kyden then moved back to his desk "Any other questions?" He asked the students "If not this session is done and I will start another one in the future, so be sure to look at your common room boards."

You know..Wizards and Witches these days do not know true magic. - Magnus

Kaegen had one question, and that was if he had permission to cast the runes. He didn't want to be impulsive, not now anyway. This class should not have happened already, before third year, and he was extremely happy that it had. Runes were powerful, but what good was that if he couldn't cast them? Well, he thought, in theory he would only have to wait two years. But if he could try at least to apply the knowledge gained here, wouldn't he gain practical experience? Get better faster? If the professor denied his request, would he try anyway or would he listen and avoid getting a possible detention.
"If we get the combination approved by you, could we practice these? Also, can I see if my ice water runes would work?"
It didn't matter if he was first year, he was already 11 years old! If he kept practicing hard enough, there was no reason for him to not be able to use runes. Especially if the combinations were right. If they were right, then in theory he would just have to have good penmanship, and use his magic, right? He looked over at the hufflepuff that completed first. If he asked the professor instead of Kaegen, would the answer be different? He did finish first. But now was too late to have someone else ask. And he had probably done a passable job himself, anyway.

Shade-Beacon, Master of the Castle of Avarice
  Back