Classroom

Register
Sign in
  Back

Ancient Runes - Study Session RP  Closed 

Study Session - Ancient Runes

Magnus, walks into his classroom ready for the study session he put on the board for people who are interested, setting everything up along with several rune examples on the board and walls.

"Tempus" he muttered seeing the time on the end of his wand, then nodded with a slight grin as he slid a hand through his silky black locks then leaned against his desk that has several runes placed on it so it wouldn't move and is feather weight.

Decided to make a little surprise for the people who will end he formed a rune in mid-air with his wand then pushed it onto the ceiling forming the night sky outside then several other runes to form a beach along with the sound of waves on the walls "That should amaze the kids" he chuckled softly to himself "Illusionary Runes to make people think we are at the beach around ten p.m." He mumbled then placed several pieces of parchment on each desk for students to attempt their own runes while in class

checking the time once more with a tempus spell, he nodded "About five more minutes" he muttered as he sat on his desk 'Maybe I should lift the desk when everyone is inside, would probably freak people out' he thought as he chuckles from them and waits.

You know..Wizards and Witches these days do not know true magic. - Magnus

Kyden walked into the study session and walked around. He looked around the classroom staring at the walls for awhile, before looking up at the ceiling in awe. He walked further into the classroom and slid into a seat in the front row. He was so glad that he had this opportunity to come to the study session for Ancient Runes. He couldn't wait for his third year so he could come to the actual class. He sat in his seat and watched the door to see who else might join them and if it would be anybody he knew. After watching the door for a bit he turned back to the walls staring at them. "That is so cool!" He was trying to figure out how Professor Rosier did it. He knew it had to be a spell of some sort. Kyden leaned back in his seat. He couldn't wait until he was as good as the Professors at magic. He looked up to see that he had started to day dream and that more students had entered the class. Kyden looked at Professor Rosier and smiled to himself as he waited for the study session to start. He just knew this was going to be interesting.

Kyden Zarye Goodlow // Editor for the Slytherin News-magazine //

"Hah...hah...hah...What's... wrong... with this castle..." With one hand on the cold stone wall for support and another clutching a notebook to his chest, Archer Dunn scaled the plentiful stairs of Hogwarts. Wearing the flowing black robe and pointed hat, the young hufflepuff's stooped posture and ragged breath painted the image of a very tired boy. It had to be the 6th floor! He thought ruefully, And what's with the stairs? Why do they move so much? What's the purpose? If whoever made the first set of stairs, whoever he was, Stairs McAscend or some such, know about this heinous crime against the Stairs kind, I'm sure he or she would be horrified!

"Aaand... Here I am!" He shouted in victory as he conquered the last step, his breath short and his legs a bit sore. "Now... Where do I go again?" The young wizard scanned the landing of the 6th floor trying to recall the direction to the Ancient Runes classroom. Archer had seen the offer for a study session on the Hufflepuff Bulletin Board for anyone interested in Ancient Runes. As far as he knows, it's about the study of ancient...runes of magic, as obvious as that sound; a form of writing used by witches and wizards in archaic times. I wonder if this would be like studying Latin in a normal school back home... Studying Latin would be boring, but this is a MAGIC school! Surely nothing is boring here... At least, that's what the young boy was hoping. It wasn't like he had much else to do. It's only been a short time after his first day and sorting. While he had met some interesting character, he was still a bit too shy to hang out with them that often.

I think that should be it...Archer mused as he spied what he believed to be the entrance to the classroom. Gingerly, he opened the door... and found himself looking at the night sky? "Eh...? Eeehhh??!" What is this... What's going on? He looked back and and forth between the scene in front of him and the castle hallway behind him. Am I in the wrong place? Does this door lead outside? But we're at the 6th Floor! And it's not even night! Or is it? Am I going crazy? Did I die in the stairway and this is some sort of special purgatory? I can even hear waves!

Just then, the little remaining rational part of his brain noticed the desks inside the "beach", one already occupied by another kid, and a man standing in front of the class. Archer recognized the man, having seen him introduced in the Entrance Ceremony, as professor Magnus Rosier, the Professor of Study of Ancient Runes. Carefully, Archer stepped forward, "Good...good morn-" Archer remembered the night sky above him, "Good evening? Professor? I'm here for the study session?" His voiced betrayed his confusion and surprise. "I'm in the right place... right? Haha..." He chuckled weakly.

Aurora quietly walked into the room, her rucksack carried on her side. She was very tired after just experimenting with potions for the entire night, mixing together random ingredients until something happened. She sat down in the front row and drank from her water bottle. She got out her notebook, quill, and of course her ink, and stared up at the teacher. The sound of waves echoed through the room. Because of how tired she was, she didn't notice the beach magic around her. "Oh..? Why can I hear water, we aren't near the shore, are we?" she thought to herself. She looked at the walls, and gasped, leaping out of her chair. "HOW ARE WE ON THE BEACH? I WALKED UP STAIRS, NOT DOWN THEM!" she yelled, "THE OTHER ROOMS AREN'T FULL OF OCEAN SOUNDS AND HAVE ALL OF THIS, DO THEY?!". Noticing she was freaking out, she took a deep breath, and sat down. "Sorry." she said.

After she had calmed down, she started drawing some shapes in her notebook that were meant to look like runes. A rotated square with a stick on the bottom and a line sideways in it, circles with lines inside them, nothing special, but Aurora thought they looked cool. She closed her notebook, and patiently waited for the class to start. In case she needed it, she got out her wand as well, and set it beside her.
Last edited by Aurora Sakayuki on 12th April 2018, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reducio
I started writing this when Kyden and I were the only ones lol so I'm sorry if I ignored some people!

Anna walked into the enchanted room in awe. There were a couple of excited students and one that seemed.... out of breath. There was also a boy sitting right in the front, the chair Anna was hoping to be but Anna was focused on the sound of waves echoing off the walls and into Anna's ears. The beach was always so beautiful at night. Back in Scotland, her house was near the ocean and Anna usually took a nightly strolls on the beach.

For the first time Anna was actually excited to willingly go to a study session .
Anna walked towards the boy in front and saw that he too was in awe at the starry night. "This seat taken?" Anna said to the boy but didn't even wait for an answer, she sat down anyways. She continued to look around at the illusion. 
Just by hearing the waves softly crash up onto the shore then be pulled back into the tide she could feel her bare feet walking in the warm sand. She could feel little tiny pieces getting caught in between her toes and she could almost smell the salt in the air. 

The 11 year old's vocabulary was limited to describe how the scenery made her feel so the only word that came from her mouth was "Awesome. This is awesome."  She almost completely forgot that there was another student next to her who was obviously excited for the class to start. 
"Oh, right. I'm Anna, a first year Hufflepuff." She took out her hand like her parents always taught her to when meeting a new person. "Nice to meet you!" She said with an excited grin. 
This was truly going to be awesome.

~You have Witchcraft in your lips~

The only environment where the bookish boy actually fit in, a classroom, so even when he wasn't in classes he felt magnetized to such environments. So going to a study session felt completely natural for him. He needed every bit of help he could get to catch up with the other students and pouring over musty old tomes was occasionally not the answer so when he found out that a teacher was offering a an extra lesson he'd bee-lined for the classroom.

Pushing open the door however he found himself not in a classroom... but a tropical looking environment. Looking around he discovered that it was indeed a classroom replete with desks and students and most of the other classroom-y amenities. Holding his books to his chest he looked about befor slowly shuffling to the front of the classroom.

Sitting down meekly set his quill and inkwell on the desk and pulled out his book and looked at the professor apologetically.

"I hope I'm n-n-not late Sir."

It seemed to him that everyone else had made it in before him and that he was likely the last to show up. Shrinking into himself he hoped he hadn't made a bad impression being late to his first lesson with the teacher. hiss cheeks tinging red in mild embarrassment. The teacher did at least looked rather relaxed so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.

"m-my apologies"

Yes, but why?

Magnus nodded to the students who have arrived "Greetings, I am and will be your professor for Ancient Runes by the time your third year comes around, but today I will show what Runes are and how they can work for everyday life" He says snapping his fingers to dismiss the illusion but keeping the runes on the walls "What you all saw was an Illusion based around the runes I put on the walls as well as the roof" He adds.

"Another example is the rune I have on my desk" He says getting off his desk then picking it up easily with one hand "Feather Light rune" He explained "Learning about runes takes time since you will need to get your handwriting clean and well-written, and there are several different runic styles, examples are Japanese, Anglo-Saxon, Norse amongst others, the easiest would be Anglo-Saxon" he says gesturing to the board which shows

Kaegen slipped into the classroom. He had been late, but not by much. He had slunk into the room, not making a sound. The boy moved with a natural fluidity that seemed out of place in the castle. Only his eyes flashed about quickly, taking in as much as they could. And take something in they did. He found himself on the beach, that wasn't even possible!
Diving to the side, along the wall, Kaegen rolled a bit, and then hid behind a desk. He had to find out what on earth was going on, this wasn't natural. This wasn't natural in the slightest. Grabbing a roundish rock, Kaegen hurled it at the ocean. Another riddle that had to be solved was the fact that none of the other students seemed concerned about it. Forgetting his rock mid-flight, he looked at the professor's desk, and wondered why the man seemed so calm. Maybe this was how it was supposed to be? The only other option was that Kaegen had gone insane, and he wasn't sure if he like that choice. So, finding an empty desk, and climbing on top of it, the ravenclaw introduced himself, his whispering, faraway voice carrying across the classroom.
"Kaegen Deathmote fens-born scarf-wielder. He who was called fat tadpole as a babe suicidal idjit as a toddler and earned the name Eeh before arriving at hogwarts, at your service."

Shade-Beacon, Master of the Castle of Avarice

Aurora scribbled down the list of runes into her book. After writing down the whole list, she called out to the teacher. "Sir, how do we use these? I wanna do cool things with them, not just drawing them in my book. Runes seem really interesting!" said Aurora. She grabbed a piece of spare parchment and neatly drew a fire rune and an ice rune on it. "Cpero Is..." Aurora said.

She started to scribble down more runes in her notebook, some were strange mixes of the different runes, which she made up names, sounds, and meanings for as she waited for the teacher to come up to her. "Toko... The sound it makes is Ta, and it means noise. Simple..." she muttered. She put down her quill, and waited patiently for the teacher. Runes actually were one of her newly discovered interests with magic, as she wanted to know as much as she could about as many of the magical types as possible. Magic was a very interesting topic to her, as her entire family tree studied and pursued magic in some way. Her mother created potions and was known all around the world for her skills, her grandmother was also known in the same way. Her father made wands, staffs, and other types of magical amplifiers to sell, and he had started a shop with her mother. Aurora helped there time to time by standing at the counter and sometimes helped her father with choosing crystals and woods for customers orders.
Last edited by Aurora Sakayuki on 12th April 2018, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyden listened intently to Professor Rosier. He quickly copied down the Runes the professor showed them. He planned on studying them in depth later on. He also planned on going to the library and checking out what he could about Ancient Runes. He was glad he opted to come to this class. It was proving to be interesting and grabbing his attention. After he finished copying down the Runes the professor showed him he glanced around the room at each of the students to came to the study session as well. He didn't spot any students that he knew. He turned around and looked down at the Runes he had copied down. Some of them looked familiar while others looked new but also interesting. He planned on practicing to write them out as well when he got back up to his dorm room. After studying the Runes a bit longer he looked up and waited to see what else they would learn at this study session. He sat there thinking about the feather light rune. Now that was cool. He bet it came in handy to know things like this. All of these things really seemed to make life a whole lot easier than it would be other wise.

Kyden Zarye Goodlow // Editor for the Slytherin News-magazine //

What do I do now? Do I just sit down? Is there an assigned seat for everyone? In the short time that Archer was standing clueless at the back of the class, three more kids had confidently walked in, and each had taken a seat, acting as if entering a star-lit beach on the 6TH FLOOR was an everyday occasion. Well, two of them were at least; another freaked out AFTER she had sat down. What a strange start to a study session... The Hufflepuff thought, as he finally moved towards a desk.

He chose to sit down beside the pink-haired girl, feeling a certain kinship as she had been the only other kid that seemed to be unsettled by the unnatural situation as welll. Archer wondered nervously if he should introduce himself. He has never seen the girl before in the Hufflepuff common room so she may be from a different house. Before he could bring up the courage however, the professor started to speak, introduced himself. Then, with sudden snap of a finger, the scenery around the class broke.

"Wha!?" Archer could not stifle his surprise as he jumped a little bit at his desk. Looking around and up now reveals classroom walls and a normal roof with strange symbols on them. "Aaah... Of course..." Archer said to himself, "It was MAGIC!" he continued, stating what should be obvious. Realizing that he had said the last part out loud, he felt his cheeks reddened as he bent his head down, pretending to write something in his notebook. Inwardly, he was feeling relieved. He did not die from exhaustion at the staircase, and was not in some sort of strange Wizard purgatory. Of course it was magic... I should have guessed!  Hoping the others did not notice his outburst, Archer desperately tried to focus on the professor.

Hmm... So I guess it's not just about learning how old farts used to write... I should've known that runes are also magical...Archer was pleasantly surprised as he scanned the symbols, the runes, scrawled on the blackboard. "Feh? Fuh? Fueoh?" the young Hufflepuff pursed his lips in a vain attempt to try to pronounce the first rune.  "Yer, Yuuur... Yeeuur" He tried his luck on the second one. Yep. Archer had decided: Ancient people talked funny.

Then he realized something. Archer squinted his eyes and scanned the blackboard very intently before saying out loud, "Huh, none of the runes say 'Feather Light'"

Magnus rushed over to check Aurora's runes, then sighs "Next time please wait before combining runes, if you mess up on a combination, it may result in a..extremely bad side effect." He told everyone "For example, the rune may explode or drain your magic." he informed in addition then proceeds to check Aurora's runes and nods "Not bad, but why a fire and ice rune, if I may ask?" He questions Aurora seeing if she does indeed know what she is doing.

Looking over to the runes on Kyden's paper, he nods "Like I said earlier if you do indeed want to research runes, I would advise someone being nearby who knows about Runes, like myself or maybe your Head of House." he said then turned to Archer "The world has several different Runic Alphabet, examples are the one you see which is Anglo Saxon, feather light would be combining several different runes" he informed Archer with a smile "I would prefer we start with Anglo Saxon since that is how I started, and it is probably the easiest of the runic alphabets to learn." he paused "Unless everyone wants to do either Japanese or Norse to begin?" he chuckled as he forms a rune list in the air

Sitting down in his desk, Kaegen raised his hand to try and get the professor's attention. He had heard that hogwarts was protected with ancient runes. Could he do the same with his fort of sorts? When he was reasonably certain the professor would hear him, the 11 year old ravenclaw shot forth the question.
"What runes would help make a place hard to find, or well protected?"
This may be a shortcut to something the professor might want him to find out on his own, but at least he had a clear goal. He may get pointed in the right direction, or the professor could even just give him the best rune combinations right away. But that last situation was probably just wishful thinking. The other students in the class seemed to be taking notes, writing down the runic alphabet. One girl had been experimenting with them before the professor stopped her. But on the other hand he had looked over to see if she knew what she was doing, was this maybe some kind of test? Should he be experimenting to see if he could find a good combination? If the professor came over, perhaps he could adjust the runes. It made sense in his head, anyway.

COMBINE: Oak, Earth, Stone and Thorn

Shade-Beacon, Master of the Castle of Avarice

"I chose fire and ice because they're the closest to opposites... Ice and fire, know what I mean?" said Aurora, who continued drawing runes in her notebook. "I wanna learn how to use rune magic! I wrote all of the Anglo-Saxon runes down in my book, would you be able to teach me how to combine them safely... maybe give me some of the combinations you use?" Aurora said, and gave him her book to check through to make sure her work was done. She grabbed a piece of spare parchment and drew a bunch of food, colouring in some of them with her different colours of flower inks as she waited for the teacher to read through her list of runes to make sure they were all written and drawn correctly.

She again started drawing shapes like squares with lines inside and out of the corners and sides, making her own sort of runes. Obviously they didn't do anything, but she just thought they looked cool. She had many questions to ask all of the runic studies teachers, and she had many experiments that needed to be done for her to understand things even more than she had before joining this class.
Last edited by Aurora Sakayuki on 12th April 2018, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

this study session was decidedly going to prove to be an odd one, the assortment of students began proving so readily. Once the teacher began speaking he was interrupted eventually by a particularly strange Ravenclaw.
doing his best to ignore the rest of those present outside of the professor Orion jotted down notes as quickly as his fingers would allow.

The concepts the professor was explaining were fairly simple, in an arcane complicated not simple kind of way. Smiling ruefully to himself as he labored to record the runes he watched the professor out of the corner of his eye.

In essence what he was saying is that runes were like building blocks that each had a different purpose. with that in mind combining said building blocks would allow one to create more complex structures or concepts as it were.

"Professor, I have a q-question, Is there any limit to the amount of runes you c-can combine? Are simpler rune p-patterns more effective  or is it just a matter of being limited by one's creativity?"

Readying himself to write down whatever else the professor had to say he pushed his ungainly hair out of his face as he better focused on the teacher, his interest in the subject before him now decidedly peaked.

"also d-does the size of the rune inscription effect it's p-power?"

Yes, but why?
  Back