Classroom

Register
Sign in
  Back

Classical Pop  PV Mardella Bram   Finished 

"C and B. The musical scale goes in alphabetical order, left to right- A, B, C, D, E, F, G- it stops at G, though, and goes back to A. Am I going too fast for you?" she asked nervously. "I've never really tried to teach someone piano before... I hope I'm doing okay."
Mardella shook her head a little frantically, dropping her fingers from the keyboard. So A to G and then starting from A again. That didn't sound...awful? She thought cautiously.
Heart and soul,
I fell in love with you
Lost control,
just like a fool would do,
madly
Because you held me tight
And stole a kiss in the night
"Oh wow," Mardella swallowed and then felt her lips tilt upwards in awe. "You have a really pretty voice!" The other girl tried to apologise, but she shook her head again, "No, it was nice, really."
"But you just heard the song- you'll play the bass line, I play the melody and screw up my improvising a harmonic bass line. At least, that's my goal. I mean, to teach you the bass line, not to totally screw up the harmonic bass line."
"Are you sure?" Mardella shifted on the piano stool - which was kind of at an awkward height sit at and honestly not as comfortable as it looked - "I'm happy to listen, I...er...I know where my strengths are," Her fingers tugged at the sleeves of her jumper once more, "And music is definitely not one of them!"

"Umm...Della's just fine though..." // STA: 7 // AGI: 7 // STR: 6 // CTL: 3 // ArcP: 2 // ACC: 5 // School Broom

Ami gently (but firmly) set Mardella’s fingers back on the keys, saying, “I will teach you the bass line on the piano, even if it kills me. It’s a beautiful song, and deserves to be brought to the Gryffindor common room. Who better to do that than you?” She set her hands on top of Mardella’s, and spread them out so they were reaching an octave, and started playing the syncopated rhythm on just the two C notes. “This is the rhythm you’ll be playing. Bah, bah - buh, buh - bah, bah - buh, buh - bah, bah - buh, bah -buh, buh - bah...” Ami trailed off, realizing she probably sounded like a crazy person. “Do you get it? It’s a swing-y rhythm, if you know what I mean. Sway with it.”

Ami lifted her hand off of Mardella’s, indicating that she should try the rhythm by herself. “Try it. You’ll catch on pretty quickly- I believe in you.” She squeezed Mardella’s hand lightly for good luck, trying not to make it seem too weird, and gestured for Mardella to try it out. “If you have trouble with it... just run away with it. That’s the beauty of music- it can still sound amazing even if it’s not exact.”

Reducio
*stubbornly clinging on to one of my character's flaws* wheeze wheeze

Mardella let Ami's hands guide hers to the keyboard and shot the other girl a wry look as the redhead refused to let her give up.
"I will teach you the bass line on the piano, even if it kills me. It’s a beautiful song, and deserves to be brought to the Gryffindor common room. Who better to do that than you?”
She laughed, throwing her head back a bit as she did so. "I don't even know where that is yet, but I suppose...if you insist." Mardella narrowed her eyes at the notes and watched as Ami spread her thumb and pinky apart to rest on white keys.
"This is the rhythm you’ll be playing. Bah, bah - buh, buh - bah, bah - buh, buh - bah, bah - buh, bah -buh, buh - bah...”
The girl stopped abruptly, fixing her a focused look, bright and determined - it made Mardella want to wilt. Puppy dog eyes!
“Do you get it? It’s a swing-y rhythm, if you know what I mean. Sway with it.”
"Sway..." Mardella tried to arrange her face into some semblance of confidence as Ami dropped her own hands off the piano.
“Try it. You’ll catch on pretty quickly- I believe in you, If you have trouble with it... just run away with it. That’s the beauty of music- it can still sound amazing even if it’s not exact.”
The other girl reassured her, gesturing for her to try with a little flick of her fingers. Squaring her shoulders and swallowing, Mardella gave it ago. She had rather large hands - no doubt as a result of being so tall - so her hand didn't feel too strained on the piano - although she wasn't exactly sure what to do with her index, middle and fourth finger whilst the thumb and pinky were occupied. The first note was a bit tentative and she did her best to follow the pattern Ami had shown her, but at a much quieter volume. Mardella thought it sounded alright - unaware that to the well-trained ear (like Ami's was) the rhythm was slightly off - enough to drag a little in places.

"Like, uh, this?"

"Umm...Della's just fine though..." // STA: 7 // AGI: 7 // STR: 6 // CTL: 3 // ArcP: 2 // ACC: 5 // School Broom

"I don't even know where that is yet, but I suppose...if you insist," Mardella laughed, and Ami couldn't help but laugh along. "I have no idea where anything is in this castle, either," Ami confided. "I have no idea how I'm going to get back to my common room after dinner- actually, scratch that. I don't even know where the Great Hall is!"

"Like, uh, this?" Mardella began to play, and Ami immediately thanked God (or whoever else was up there) for blessing Mardella with hands larger than most. Most elven-year-olds couldn't reach a sixth, let alone an octave, so that just made Ami's job a whole lot easier. When Mardella began to deteriorate slightly from the beat, Ami tapped her finger on the piano in time to the rhythm Mardella was playing. To her satisfaction, Mardella got back on track, and Ami was reluctant to stop her.

"That. Was. Amazing," Ami gushed, not even kidding. "Just three more notes you have to learn. That's it. That rhythm, repeated over four notes. Easy, right?" Ami smiled at Mardella, happy for her- a syncopated rhythm, and an octave with one hand? Impressive! "That was C, your first note. Now, you just have to do A, F, and G. I'll walk you through it."

"That. Was. Amazing," Just three more notes you have to learn. That's it. That rhythm, repeated over four notes. Easy, right?"
Mardella shook her head. "It was not!" She wailed, exaggerating playfully. "There's more?"
"That was C, your first note. Now, you just have to do A, F, and G. I'll walk you through it."
"Oh Merlin," She breathed, looking back to the keys again. She had no ear or talent for music - in fact, Tiordan was more than happy to remind her just how tone/rhythm deaf she was. "Um...I think that's about all I can do. I might melt if you try and teach me anymore tonight." Mardella winced apologetically. It had been fun, admittedly, but a glance out the window showed just how late it was getting and they did have classes early the next day. Maybe Ami wouldn't mind walking together for a bit, at least until she found a teacher or a prefect who could tell her where to go? "It is kind of late." She added, and then, because she was an idiot, she followed it with. "We should do this some other time!"
Reducio
sorry to cut it a bit short! but i figure we're probably due to head off to bed shortly! It is the first night after all! Still valiantly resisting any attempts at coherent music, hehe -Mardella sucks! Definitely not her avenue! x

Reducio
Of course- the first day, they should probably get to bed early.

Ami nodded understandingly. "Maybe we'll pick back up another day. I am going to teach you this song, whether you like it or not. Actually, if you don't like it, tell me- I don't want to force you into doing anything you don't want to do," Ami said quickly. "But still, I'm going to teach you this song. Potentially, it might be good practice for when I'm older. After my three militia tours, of course," Ami added, rolling her eyes.

"Do you need- want me to walk with you back to the Gryffindor dorms? I hope you don't get lost again- you might end up spending another hour in an empty classroom with another strange girl," Ami joked, standing up, pushing the bench back. She gently shut the lid on the piano, and looked around the room, trying to figure out how to turn the lights off. Hogwarts still used light switches, right? Right?? "I mean, I'm not the best with directions, either," Ami admitted, still swiveling her head around, craning her neck and staring at the ceiling, as if the switch were up there. "But I can help you try and with a prefect or something to walk you back."
Ami has left the thread.
Last edited by Ami Procoppio on 6th May 2018, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mardella laughed a little as Ami seemed to backtrack to reassure her that she wasn't going to be held at wandpoint. It was true that music wasn't really something she was good at or even all that comfortable with unless it involved dancing stupidly, but Ami had been fun to hang out with despite that. "You'll have your work cut out for you then," She teased, her mouth curling upwards, "but if you're happy to then, sure, teach me!"

At Ami's offer to walk around with her, Mardella nodded, rising from the piano stool and stretching her arms up. "Nnng," She yawned, "That would be great, I mean I did meet a new friend," She glanced towards the door hoping her slightly flushed cheeks wouldn't attract any attention, not looking back to see the redhead's reaction, "So it wasn't all that bad." She spun towards Ami again, inclining her head towards the still open door. "C'mon, we'd best head off then!"

Reducio
thanks for RPing w me! feel free to join me and a few others at mealtimes when it's lively at the gyrff table if you ever need to chat! thread is Feasts within the Great Hall!

Back