8 Jul 2019, 16:42
Catriona Staverly · First year · Ravenclaw
BASICS
AGE | 12
YEAR| 2nd
HOUSE| Ravenclaw
HEIGHT| 4' 6"
APPEARANCE

Other than Catriona's extremely small stature, she looks relatively normal (boring even). She has her father's straight brown hair and her mother's thin lips and blue eyes. Her skin is even, with a smattering of light freckles across her nose. They're hardly noticeable, but they're there nonetheless.

Catriona's frame is light, with limbs that don't lend themselves to exertion. She was never one for strenuous physical activity, instead opting to read on the sidelines. As she grows, her limbs gradually grow (though not much) giving her the appearance of an awkward, newborn fawn.

FACE CLAIM| 1st year: McKenna Grace · second year onward: Kiernan Shipka
STYLE| Catriona has next to no experience or knowledge of fashion. She generally wears clothing based on comfort rather than appearance on a daily basis like sweaters, jeans, and softer t-shirts (most of which are stolen borrowed from her siblings).
PERSONALITY

Upon meeting Catriona, one would generally be quick to dismiss her as quiet or dull. This is not the case at all. She is a clever girl who enjoys observing the world around her more than participating at times. Though she's always up to partake in particularly interesting activities, she tends to control her instincts rather than follow them, opting to wait on the sidelines and see how things play out.

There are some notable exceptions for this rule, namely her need to defend her friends whenever possible. Catriona's catchphrase might as well be "If I can defend it, I will." She is always quick to rise to the defense of her friends and her loyalty isn't something that can be easily broken. When her trust is broken or she is betrayed, she is quick to forgive and forget, something that isn't always a good thing. Instead of addressing her issues, she prefers to shove things under the rug.

Because of her lonely upbringing, Catriona was forced to grow up much faster than a child should. She learned almost everything from books or from her older siblings. Though she seems more mature than her peers, she has trouble expressing her feelings in a healthy manner. She tends to repress emotions that could be troublesome (feelings that could cause issues between her friends or family) and instead chooses to put their feelings first instead of hers.

the good
the bad
the ugly
patient · kind · witty · selfless · empathetic
stubborn · quick tempered · sensitive
moody · harsh · emotional
Catriona strives to be a good person, treating everyone with kindness and empathy unless they prove that they don't deserve it. Even then, she is quick to hand out second chances. Her core values include the belief that people can change as long as they are given a nudge in the right direction. She is happy to be that nudge. Unfortunately this also means that she is incredibly stubborn. She never gives up on anything, be it a belief, a tricky spell, or even a person. This can be troublesome for those interacting with her, especially with her quick temper. While she is generally quite kind to everyone, she doesn't always think before she acts when those she cares about are in question. She angers quickly at those who question her core beliefs. Catriona tends to bottle up emotions and when it gets to be too much, she explodes (usually in tears). She can be moody when like this and harsh to those who seek her help (though not intentionally). This stressed out version of Catriona is best handled with a blanket, some tea, and a person to hug.

PATRONUS| currently unknown
AMORTENTIA| cinnamon · parchment · shortbread cookies
THESTRALS| no
HISTORY

When Catriona was four years old, her favorite teddy bear got stuck under her bed. In a fit of unadulterated, childish determination, she managed to snatch it from its position, ripping its arm clean off in the process. Before she could begin crying again, the fabric knit itself back together, right before her eyes.

Catriona received her Hogwarts letter on a bright, sunny morning. The owl woke her with a series of taps on her bedroom window and she ran downstairs immediately to show her mother and father. They were proud of her, understandably so, and that very morning they went to Diagon Alley. It was then that her mother and father decided to send her to Hogwarts on the second train so she could make friends.

She sat alone on the second train to Hogwarts. Most of the students going back were Second Years and she didn't know any of them (plus, she wanted to get a head start on her reading). And thus, her journey began.

(For more information, check out Catriona's letters.)
thank you to @Alexx Séverin for the font help!
inspired by @Reid Kovacs
Last edited by Catriona Staverly on 9 Jul 2020, 23:32, edited 41 times in total.

"Every important thing that's ever happened to me has been in a library."
- Catriona Staverly, mom friend extraordinaire
Stamina: 7 | Evasion: 8 | Strength: 3 | Wisdom: 8 | Arcane Power: 8 | Accuracy: 6

8 Jul 2019, 16:44
RPGs (ongoing and current)
✔ - Complete
✘ - Abandoned
before
i. first year
Sorting Ceremony 2019-2020 | ✔
Vexation | in progress
Studying (And Other Shenanigans) | ✔
The Plan | in progress
A Beautiful Day for a Picnic | in progress
The Aftermath | in progress
Cherry on Top | ✔
Something Fun | in progress
Candle, Candle, Burning Bright | in progress
Only Shallow | in progress
The Caulfield Mindset | in progress
Last edited by Catriona Staverly on 17 Sep 2019, 06:06, edited 6 times in total.

Stamina: 7 | Evasion: 8 | Strength: 3 | Wisdom: 8 | Arcane Power: 8 | Accuracy: 6

8 Jul 2019, 16:45
FAMILY
IMMEDIATE FAMILY

Augusta Beatrix Staverly (née Séverin)| mother
(under construction)

Christopher James Staverly| father
Christopher Staverly more mellow than his wife, though equally absent in his relationship with Catriona. He has a rare book business, funded mostly by the family fortune that keeps him away from home most of the time. Unlike his wife, he does try to have a good relationship with Catriona (and his other children), sending frequent letters and pictures in the hopes that they will grow closer.

One of Catriona's fondest memories is of her father teaching her to read, something he was adamant that he do himself. He read to her often when she was a child and Christopher often uses books to try and bridge the emotional gap between the two.

William Theodore Staverly| brother
Growing up, Will was the closest thing Catriona had to a father figure. Their age gap meant that Will (and Freddie, though she was generally off making trouble for herself) was usually looking after her. Though he was in school for most of Catriona's young life, he was determined to stay in contact with her, often going so far as to travel home early on the Hogwarts Express to see her (perhaps the only time Will ever rebelled against the rules).

Now, he stays in Windsor and comes home frequently to visit Catriona over the holidays. They owl back and forth frequently, often exchanging news about new friendships, interesting books, and observations. He's an exceptionally good listener and writing to him is very therapeutic for her.

Winifred ("Freddie") Florence Staverly| sister
While Will took it upon himself to look after Catriona during her childhood, Freddie made it her goal to get them both in as much trouble as possible, often going so far as to include her in many of her plots against the muggle children in the neighborhood.

Though Freddie would never admit it, she loves Catriona deeply (and was the driving forces behind Will's early train visits home). She writes letters to Catriona frequently (even if the letter just contains interesting images of Freddie's latest travel destination). They rarely get to see each other, mainly because of Freddie's frequent traveling, but she always makes a point to visit home (if only to terrorize Will with her lack of table manners).
EXTENDED FAMILY

(under construction)
HOGWARTS RELATIONSHIPS
GRYFFINDOR

Kyle DeRook| acquaintance
Catriona followed him after the Great Lake incident, but other than that they don't know each other very well. She thinks he's an interesting character and would like to get to know him better.

Meenauh Silmataurea| acquaintance
Catriona met Meenauh at the Summer BBQ before she went back home. Meenauh was kind to her, which she appreciated, but beyond that she didn't really get to know the other girl.
RAVENCLAW

Gem Stuart| ex-best friend, currently enemies
They met when Catriona told off Charlotte for being loud. He was kind to her and she found herself trusting him. She later asked him to be in a study group with her and Charlotte. He agreed. After the Library Incident, Catriona named herself the president of the "Gem Stuart Protection Squad." Unfortunately, things didn't stay as good as they were at first. Gradually, Catriona began to feel as though she didn't really know Gem and he wouldn't let her. She began to avoid him. This culminated in a confrontation after Charms class, leaving both of them angry.

Charlotte Marie Mahr| friend
They met in the Small Hall. Catriona was irritated at the volume of Charlotte and her friends' chatter, so she told them rudely very politely to be quiet. Charlotte was nice about it and they ended up friends and study partners. Catriona followed her when Charlotte was upset and they decided to run away to the Forbidden Forrest together.

Lark Flaer| friend
They've met a couple of times. Catriona found herself taking quite a liking to the other girl and they have a lot in common.
HUFFLEPUFF

Asteria Kurokawa| friend
The two met at a dress swap party right before the Ball and decided to go together. Unfortunately, their dance was cut short by the chaos of the dance and they ended up leaving early. Catriona considers Asteria to be one of her closest friends.
SLYTHERIN

Santario Martin| acquaintance
Catriona met Santario at the Great Lake. After Kyle DeRook walked away looking quite angry, she followed him, giving Santario an excuse in an attempt to be polite. Santario didn’t take this as kindly as Catriona thought she would and now regards her with mild animosity. Catriona doesn’t know much about her, but would like to repair their relationship anyway (not that that’ll happen any time soon).
PHOTOBOOK
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Catriona Staverly on 21 Dec 2019, 19:53, edited 14 times in total.

3 Aug 2019, 06:36
MUSIC
Blackbird | The Beatles
Death with Dignity | Sufjan Stevens
Hey Jude | The Beatles
Obstacles | Syd Matters
Oceans | Seafret
prom dress | mxmtoon
Snap Out Of It | Arctic Monkeys
West Coast | Coconut Records
505 | Arctic Monkeys
FUN FACTS

⇁ There was a long period of time when she was younger (five or six) where she decided she would go by her middle name, Violet
⇁ Her brother, William, still affectionately calls her so
⇁ Her sister, Freddie, likes to call her Katie Cat, which only irritates her a bit
⇁ Catriona is good at being witty, but only when she isn't trying
⇁ This is, perhaps, why she believes herself to be so boring
⇁ Her favorite song is "Hey Jude," by the Beatles, because her father used to hum it to her as a lullaby
⇁ She really likes muggle films (most notably, Rebecca)
⇁ Her birthday is on the 17th of December (people rarely give her separate gifts for Christmas and her birthday)
⇁ Her favorite comfort food is cheese toast because William used to make it for her when she couldn't sleep
THROUGH THE YEARS
FIRST YEAR
SECOND YEAR
THIRD YEAR
FOURTH YEAR
FIFTH YEAR
SIXTH YEAR
SEVENTH YEAR
ONWARDS
LETTERS

FIRST YEAR
Reducio
In which Catriona finds some friends.
Reducio
Dear Will,

Things have been surprisingly good this year! I've been getting quite a few O's (Father is rather proud) and I even managed to make a few friends. Please try and quell your excitement.

I have two so far: Gem Stuart and Charlotte Mahr. They're both quite nice. I met them both in the library to study and Gem and I talked at length before Charlotte got there. We're a bit similar, but he's very good at picking up on my emotions. I can't do that! He makes me laugh a great deal, though he does tease me for being Rich and Proper. I think Freddie would like him, but she's halfway across the world and not answering my owls.

Unfortunately, the meetup was interrupted by some dimwits who were messing up the books. You will be proud to know that I defended the honor of the Dewey Decimal System. This turned out to be a rather stupid decision and one of the bigger brutes targeted Gem. Long story short, he got punched defending me and my impulsive decision making.

I feel very guilty about it, but between me and Charlotte, we patched him up rather well. I've been a bit scared to talk to them since.

In any case, I hope you've been doing well. How is the bookshop? Is Freddie dead?

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Catriona uses studying as an excuse to avoid her friends (and goes on a picnic)
Reducio
Dear Will,

I am glad to hear Freddie is not dead. Give her my best wishes!

As for school, it's been going quite well! Still all O's... I think this pattern might continue for a while longer. I've been holed up in the library studying in the evenings to read ahead. I know what you're going to say: "Violet, you shouldn't use studying as an excuse to avoid your friends." You would be right.

So, I didn't! I went on a picnic with Gem a little bit ago. It was quite fun, though I think I'm starting to fall ill. Are there any rare illnesses you've read about that make you feel flushed all the time? Or very nervous? I read a muggle book about parasites, so maybe I have one of those. It's all very strange.

I miss you very much.

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Charlotte and James have an argument and complicated things happen with Gem.
Reducio
Dear Will,

Your letter was largely unhelpful, but I reckon I can figure it out on my own. I asked Charlotte about it as well, but she just sort of laughed. I got her to tell me her theory, but it seems a bit far fetched. I'm not going to write it down here because there's a high chance Freddie will read this letter over your shoulder since she's staying with you now (hello Freddie!) and she would probably make fun of me with (another) Howler.

Anyways, some... things have happened. Mainly Charlotte and James related things. They had an argument the other day and I followed Charlotte after she stormed off to make sure she was alright. She was angry, understandably so, but I wasn't quite sure what to do. I just said what I figured you or Father would. It seemed to work, so thank you for that!

Another thing happened in regards to Gem. I don't particularly want to relive it, but suffice it to say that I got insecure about something very insignificant and our relationship suffered for a time. We talked it over in the library and everything is alright now, but I can't help but still feel a bit guilty.

Suffice it to say that Hogwarts is a great deal more dramatic than I thought it would be. I'm starting to think I should have been a Hufflepuff with how many friends I'm making. There's Gem, Charlotte, James, Lark, Elzabeth, and Lamik, which brings me to a grand total of six friends. Tell Mother she should be proud.

I've got to go to Potions now (back to business as usual). Write back soon!

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Catriona feels like she’s about to realize something.
Reducio
Dear Will,

Something's happened. I mean, something important.

Lately I've been feeling like I'm sitting at the edge of this precipice and I can't decide whether or not to jump off because I don't know if the parachute will catch me (Schrödinger's parachute, or something). Excuse my bad analogy.

It's like when I used to close my eyes at the park and ask you and Freddie to guide me. I didn't know if you'd run me into a tree, but I trusted you both. I feel like I'm blindfolded without a guide. Remember how paranoid I was that I was going to trip or bump into something? That's all I feel. That immobilizing fear that I'm about to do something dangerous and stupid. I don't even know what it is that's making me feel so scared.

I think it's because of the argument.

Anyway, sorry for the short letter. I await your reply with bated breath.

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Catriona bemoans being a mess.
Reducio
Dear Freddie,

I'm alright, I promise. I'm just worried about all these stupid feelings inside of me. It feels like I'm a mess all the time. How did you stand it? At least you had Will at Hogwarts with you... All I've got are these letters.

I love you, by the way, even though your advice sucks.

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly (your favorite sister)

P.S. Thank you for the pictures. I'll hang them above my bed.

P.P.S. How would punching Gem solve anything? You and Charlotte would probably get along.

In which people are weird and Freddie has met someone.
Reducio
Dear Freddie,

Why didn't you tell me you met someone? You'd better spill the details before I buy a howler (or worse, tell Mum). I'm assuming Will knows by now, probably from some twin telepathy thing or something. I swear, it's like you two are mentally linked sometimes.

I won't bore you with details about my friends, mainly because things are still consistently dramatic. They were being rather weird the other day... Gem and I talked about it a little but I don't think either of us really know what's going on. (I wonder if Harry Potter had to deal with petty feuds like this when he was young.)

Well, that's all there is to say for now... I'll refrain from commenting on your weird methods of dealing with problems next time, since you took such offense. You didn't threaten to rip up my books when I asked you if arson was the most efficient way to deal with enemies. The inconsistency is appalling. (If it wasn't clear I'm joking, please please please don't damage the books or I swear to Merlin I will tell Mum the fire-whiskey she found when you were in 6th year was yours and not the neighbor's.)

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

P.S. It would be appreciated if you would tell Will that I know he's busy and I don't need to be reminded that he hasn't forgotten about me twenty four seven. I've run out of treats to give Faustus.

In which Catriona writes a letter that she throws away and sends a boring one instead.
Reducio
Written on a scrap of crumpled parchment, currently sitting in the trash in the girl's bathroom on the second floor
Dear Will,

For once in my life I am bored during class. History of Magic to be precise. And it's not because I don't like the subject; I just read ahead too far and now everything is review for me. Which makes it boring. Which means I'm sitting in class having a minor crisis.

Charlotte was right. I'm not ill, I just like Gem. Or I think I do.

That's the trouble. I don't know if I like Gem. Romantically, I mean. He's my first friend, I thought it was supposed to feel like that. Hanging out with him makes me happy, sure, but so does hanging out with Charlotte and Lark and James and the others. The only comparison I can make is to those Victorian novels stashed in the back of the library about wizards and witches falling in love at balls and stuff. But that's the problem. I don't feel like that at all. I'm happy when I think of Gem, but I don't want to kiss him like all the heroines in the novels do.

But everyone seems to think I do! Which just makes things ten times more confusing because I don't know why they think that.

Let's face it, the only reason I'm even writing this down is because I know I'm not going to send it. I don't want to bug you with my problems anyway. It's fine, I'll figure it out.

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

A bit of parchment tied to the leg of an owl
Dear Will,

Everything is fine, but I'm a bit busy with schoolwork. Just thought I'd send you an update.

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Catriona freaks out about Gem’s change in apearance.
Reducio
Dear Freddie,

I have to say, I'm a bit jealous of you. Now you've got yourself a nice girlfriend who makes you tea and wraps you in blankets. How did you manage to land someone so nice? I'm fully prepared to sneak home (like you and Will did that one time) to see you both. I'm kidding of course, but you better bring her home some time or Will will throw a conniption fit.

Anyway, Halloween is coming up! I highly doubt I'll be dressing up or anything. There'll be a ball here, which is nice. Also, some Ilvermorny students are coming to visit! I've got a pen pal there. His name is Don. I think you'd like him. He's proper funny and his letters always make me laugh. I'm looking forward to meeting him, if I ever leave the Ravenclaw dorms.

Gem's changed a bit, did I tell you? Appearance wise, I mean. He was always attractive and I'm not blind so obviously I noticed, it just wasn't important. Not that it is now, but you know... Girls (and probably boys too) are going to start swarming him any moment now. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it's getting better. I mean, I don't particularly like the idea, but I think it bothers me more that he has friends outside of our little group than the fact that he's being mobbed by people who want to kiss him. Which is progress, I guess. He's my first friend, so everything is weird.

Anyways, tell Will I'm okay and to stop sending me chocolate. I've got enough and I'm not starving. I miss you both very very much.

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Catriona manages to upset two people in the span of five minutes and discovers Gem has a girlfriend (who she doesn’t know how to feel about). She also gets a cat.
Reducio
Dear Freddie and Will,

It’s getting a bit tiring writing the same things to both of you, so here! A joined letter. Now the three of us can bond together.

Anyway, everything is going absolutely awfully. I completely ruined everything with two people in the span of thirty minutes. I think that’s a record, actually. Something DeRook, who’s the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain too, and Santario Martin (at least I think that’s her name). Something happened there, like all of a sudden DeRook is storming off all angry (but sad under all the angry) and so I ran after him, leaving Santario by the lakeside (that’s where we were). Only it worked awfully because he thought I was Santario and then he was disappointed when it was me, clearly because he knows her better, I think they’re good friends. Then he told me his name (which I asked for) and stormed off. Santario also stormed off, most likely because I ran after DeRook instead of staying with her. It was all a big thing and I feel rather awful about it. Maybe I’ll owl them. Or not… DeRook is kind of scary.

And that’s not even the worst thing that’s happened. Remember how I was telling you (Freddie, I mean) about how Gem’s gotten more attractive, objectively of course? I said there’d be people all over him soon. Well now there are. I’ve seen him around Hogwarts with a girl who’s name I don’t know. She’s a Slytherin. They were having a picnic the other day and I am almost 100% certain I saw them kissing. Which is Perfectly Fine, with capital letters so you know how serious I am. Ok, well it’s not amazing, but I’m not crushed or anything. That’s a lie, I am, but it doesn’t really matter because he’s happy and I KNOW you’re going to say something like “stop putting his feelings before yours” or something but it doesn’t matter. This time I’m not. The reason it’s fine this time is because I am determined to find someone as well. Someone who is NOT Gem Stuart .

I’m angry, that much is obvious, I really really don’t want to be, but I am. This whole thing just takes up so much energy. I’m glad he’s happy. I’ll be happy too at some point, at least I hope so.

That’s enough drama for you, I guess. On to happier matters! I’ve gotten a cat! His name is Dorian Gray and he’s the most vain cat I’ve ever met, but I love him. He’s a very good listener and he is exceedingly intelligent. Just yesterday I was walking out of the Ravenclaw dorms without my wand, like an idiot, and he meowed at me very indignantly, pawing at it. It was like he knew. I wish I had a camera or something to show you pictures, but I guess bringing him home over the Hols will have to do.

Also, there’s a ball happening soon with all the Americans coming. Hopefully I’ll come down with a dreadful cold before then so I won’t have to see all the couples there being sweet and absolutely awful. I’m being dramatic, but I don’t think it would be so bad staying in with Dorian the day of the ball. I’ll probably go anyway though… just to prove that I can go to parties.

I miss you both so much. Send me pictures if you can, Freddie!

Love,
Catriona Violet Staverly

In which Catriona discovers something about herself.
Reducio
Dear Freddie and Will,

I think I might be a little gay.

Best,
Catriona Violet Staverly

Last edited by Catriona Staverly on 20 Dec 2019, 20:45, edited 14 times in total.