11 Nov 2020, 01:50
♖ Dewey Hughes | First Year | Hufflepuff ♖
╓══════════════╖
Table of Contents
╙══════════════╜
inspiration:
x x
x x x
Last edited by Dewey Hughes on 1 Dec 2020, 00:30, edited 2 times in total.

Be safe, be happy, be healthy.

11 Nov 2020, 01:51

BASICS
▬▬ι══════════════ι▬▬
name:
Dewey Hughes
dob:
June 23
house:
Hufflepuff
---------------------------------------------------------
pronouns:
He/They
blood:
Wizard.Born
sexuality:
Unknown
--------------------
origin:
Hay-on-Wye
species:
Human
ethnicity:
Welsh
year:
First
╔════☩══✦══☩════╗

╚════☩══♟︎══☩════╝
╔════☩══✦══☩════╗
╚════☩══♙══☩════╝
wand:
27.4 cm, chestnut wood, pheonix feather
patronus:
Unknown
polyjuice:
A warm pumpkin color, with a syrupy consistency. It tastes like cinnamon, honey, and a tinge of peppermint. Would probably taste nice if you were sick.
erised:
He sees himself, but old, fat, and happy.
boggart:
It's a giant snake, with large red eyes. He thinks he remembers reading somewhere that means they're venomous!
amortentia:
Library books, lavender, freshly ground coffee, and homemade cinnamon rolls.

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ♔ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

══════════════════
►Classical Lit
►Hot Chocolate
►Stray Cats
►String Orchestras
►Oversized Sweaters
►Quiet Mornings
══════════════════
dislikes
══════════════════
►Snakes
►Foggy Days
►Mushrooms
►Blue Cheese
►Most "Different" Foods, Honestly
►Disrespectful People
overview

If there is one-word one would use to describe Dewey, it is intelligent. One of his main goals in life is to better understand this world that surrounds him, and if he could he would learn everything it has to offer… That is, if he could learn it from a book. Dewey isn’t one for new experiences. He has a routine that’s worked for him so far. Why would he try deviating from it? Especially now that he’s stepping into the more magical side of life, Dewey finds himself preoccupied with security. He’s prepared for anything that could go wrong, and when you’re a pessimist like him there is plenty of scenarios where things could definitely go wrong. Dewey prioritizes that he makes it through his Hogwarts experience alive. That comes second on his list, only after keeping his friends safe through his ridiculous amount of forethought. If you’re friends with Dewey, chance is he’s mapped out potential problems that could arise in your life. It could be a lot worse. At least he’s looking out for you.
While this knowledge could lead him down this winding road of pessimism, Dewey isn’t all doom and gloom. He loves spending time learning new, non-threatening things as well. The main way you can find Dewey is with his nose shoved into a book, enjoying a bit of alone time before he’s expected to engage with his classmates. While Dewey isn’t necessarily cold or standoffish, he is introverted. Large crowds aren’t where he thrives. He would much rather spend his time with a small group of friends or simply by himself. When he does get around his friends, he behaves more as a follower than the leader. Because of his meek nature, Dewey is very easy to persuade. Even if he believes that something is wrong, more often than not he will go along with it, all the while rambling about why they shouldn’t be doing what they’re doing. He’s a voice of reason that’s really easy to drown out.
Despite all of these quirks, Dewey does strive to be a good friend. While he’s definitely book smart, his emotional intelligence is often overlooked. He’s a great set of ears for when his friends need someone who’ll listen. When there’s secrets to be told, his lips are sealed. He’s patient and truly cares about the wellbeing of those that confide in him. He tries to understand boundaries that are in place, and more often than not he keeps his own grievances to himself. While he can cower all day long, he’s not one to unload anything heavy without instigation. He’s a bookworm who just so happens to be a closed book himself. How Ironic.
Once he’s comfortable around someone, he is capable of being a bit of a goofball. He moves in such an animated way, be that shivering in his boots or dancing as if no one is watching. When he’s happy, he has this bright smile that ripples across his face like a crashing wave and doesn’t really leave for the rest of the day. He likes to laugh, and he definitely likes trying to make his friends laugh in particularly tense moments.
Dewey is, overall, a weird kid.
❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ♔ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

overview

During his first year at Hogwarts, Dewey came in standing at a whopping 4’9”. A little bit taller than average. His legs are a little long for him. He’s a scrawny specimen of a boy, his head sometimes looking a little big for his body. To compliment that head are his ears, which stick far out on either side of his head. His hair is a tawny color and curled like a nest on the top of his head. It’s shaggy, flopping over the top of his ears. As for his eyes, they are a much deeper shade of brown. They’re round and bright, slanting down into a slight droop. He has a sparce number of freckles dusting across his face and neck, spread out rather than concentrated. While he’s not the most stylish person, he does gravitate towards the same kind of outfits when he’s out of uniform. He can usually be found in either an oversized sweatshirt or a t-shirt with a button-up top layered over it. They’re always paired with jeans and the same pair of muddy, high top sneakers. When he’s reading, he will usually wear a pair of thick-framed, tortoise shell reading glasses.
Last edited by Dewey Hughes on 19 Nov 2020, 19:04, edited 3 times in total.

11 Nov 2020, 01:52

╔════━━━━━────── • ──────━━━━━════╗

╚════━━━━━────── • ──────━━━━━════╝
Born and raised in the historic book-capital of Wales, Hay-on-Wyes, Dewey lived a relatively normal childhood. He was raised by his single-mother Gwendolyn. Dewey had never met his father. Honesty, he doesn’t really care to. Even before he was born, his father wasn’t involved in his life. Why should he start integrating him eleven years late? Hughes isn’t even his father’s surname, Dewey inherited it from his mother. More appropriately, he inherited it from his grandparents. Edith and Lewis Hughes lived just down the road from Dewey and his mother for all of his life. Edith and Gwendolyn are the co-owners of a used bookstore in Hays called, “Pickwick Press,” and they specialize in the preservation and peddling of historic texts. Despite the rather mundane muggle job, Dewey’s mother was the first generation of Hughes to attend Hogwarts. Now adays her magic is utilized on more mundane tasks than what one would expect following a seven-year education. It was also limited, so while Dewey grew up with magic in the home he wasn’t exposed to a wide variety of spells or potions.
The first time Dewey displayed signs of also possessing magical abilities was when he was still an infant. Obviously, they were small bouts of magic. Nothing too earth shattering. As an example, when he was a baby his mother would lay him on his stomach in the living room. To encourage him to crawl, she would place some of his favorite toys just out of reach. One time, when she looked away for just a moment and looked back, she found that Dewey hadn’t moved an inch. This wouldn’t have been noteworthy if it weren’t for the fact that he was also holding one of the toys she had placed down.
While growing up, Dewey was homeschooled by his family members in shifts. Most of his time throughout the day was spent on the floor of the bookshop with papers sprawled out as he worked. When he was finally able to read, he was drawn towards the less hectic style of education. He graduated from paperwork to readding novels he was supposedly far too young to get through. If it weren’t for the ever-changing stock, Dewey would’ve read every single book his family’s shop had to offer. In the afternoons, after the rest of the kids in Hay were released from primary school, Dewey would finally leave the shop. He would roam the streets with the neighborhood kids, playing muggle games until he was called in for dinner by his grandmother.
On June 23, 2020, Dewey was cooped up inside. It wasn’t by choice, the pitter patter of rain against the windowpanes taunted him as the never-ending sky of gray left Dewey feeling drained. He was seated in the large, plush chair at the edge of his living room. His legs flopped over one arm as he slumped further and further down against the opposite one. On this particular afternoon he was trying to busy himself by reading a copy of Treasure Island. However, his attempts at a distraction were rather bluntly interrupted by the sound of the letter slot in the door flipping open. He furrowed his brows, wondering why the mail was running so early in the day. Laying the book face down against the arm of his seat, Dewey rolled to his feet. He wandered idly to the door, giving a big stretch over his head as he did. Only one letter was on the floor, drenched. This only served to further confuse Dewey, as he leaned down to pick up the dingey looking envelope. It wasn’t until he flipped it over that he saw a red, wax stamp seal holding the letter shut
Last edited by Dewey Hughes on 11 Nov 2020, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

11 Nov 2020, 01:53

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════
Gwendolyn Hughes
Hardworking||Thoughtful||Protective
Mother. Before Dewey was born, Gwendolyn was their family's first generation to attend Hogwarts. She was a Ravenclaw, and while she suspected Dewey would follow in her footsteps and join the house of the wise, she's not shocked to figure out where he's ended up. As of now, Gwendolyn is a co-owner of a small, used bookstore in the heart of Hay. It caters mostly to muggles, but if you glanced particularly close at their selection of "fiction" you may find a familiar book or three.

Edith Hughes
Charasmatic||Opinionated||Compassionate
Grandmother. The first half of the bookshop, Edith carries herself as if she is the smartest person in the room despite of who may be in it. If she were any more confident she would breech into the territory of arrogance. Her outgoing nature luckily keeps her balance tilted towards pride. She has plenty to be proud of. Not only is she one of the owners of one of the most successful shops on this side of Hay, she has a family who also values intelligence... Though, maybe not as much as she does.
Lewis Hughes
Soft-Spoken||Bookish||Tenderhearted
Grandfather. Recently retired, Lewis is known to spend most of his days huddled up inside the bookshop along with the rest of his family. Though he's vowed to no longer work (after half a century doing so, who could blame him,) he is usually seen behind the counter with a book of his own. Maybe, just maybe, he would suggest a book to wandering guests. Perhaps he will guide them to the proper section they're looking for. Obviously, he's not working. He swears he is just being helpful, that's all. Maybe while he's by the autobiographies he will re-arrange the shelves. Just for fun.
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════

11 Nov 2020, 01:54

Reducio
♚Gryffindor♚
n/a
Reducio
♜Hufflepuff♜

Martyna Romero | positive
Though Dewey might not always agree with her plans, he doesn't feel completely guilty going along with them. She's a fun energy, maybe a bit much at times, but he tries to keep up.
Reducio
♛Ravenclaw♛
n/a
Reducio
♞Slytherin♞

Opeila Winters | tbd
Last edited by Dewey Hughes on 4 Dec 2020, 15:52, edited 3 times in total.

11 Nov 2020, 01:54

────── 〔♖〕──────

first year
Reducio
Just Right. | solo ------------------------------------------------------- 11.10.20
Dewey spends some time figuring out which dorm will be his home during his time at Hogwarts.
Lost and Seek | pv ----------------------------------------------------- 11.12.20
After the least amount of persuasion possible, Dewey reluctantly breaks the rules to help out a fellow Hufflepuff.
Lost and Seek | The Courtyard | pv ------------------------------------- 11.16.20
The search for something "pink and fluffy" continues to the courtyard.
Outside Breakfast | pv -------------------------------------------------- 11.17.20
A mysterious Slytherin girl was spotted leaving the breakfast table by Dewey. Dewey decides its time to investigate.
second year
Reducio
n/a
third year
Reducio
n/a
fourth year
Reducio
n/a
fifth year
Reducio
n/a
sixth year
Reducio
n/a
seventh year
Reducio
n/a
────── 〔♖〕──────

Last edited by Dewey Hughes on 18 Nov 2020, 02:56, edited 10 times in total.

11 Nov 2020, 01:56

══════════════════
dewey's playlist
══════════════════

Sweet Tooth| Cave Town

"sweet tooth for you
i'm wide awake
the sugar went straight to my brain
feel like a kid, i double tap
my chest with my fists"
Wisdom | Mother Mother

"folding clothes
and i feel useless
don't think i know
how to do this
once i was told
but like any misfit
i spit on some good advice"
Looking Out for You | Joy Again

"and we're walking out in the snow
i say 'i guess i should go'
and we're talkin 'bout someone else
when we should be talking about ourselves."
Kids | Current Joys

"oh i'm just a kid
i'm afraid of the dark
but i'm obsessed with ideas
one day i'll go far."
Swing Lynn | Twin Cabins

"hey there little honey won't you groove
i've been trying all night to dance with you
hey there little lonely won't you say
i said, 'i would rather die than feel this pain'
you said, 'i know i feel very much the same
but i am afraid that i don't know, knowing is not my thing.'"
/color]
╞╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╡
╞╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╡

══════════════════
dewey's library
══════════════════

Bagshot, Bathilda
"a history of magic"
Goshawk, Miranda
"the standard book of spells"
Jigger, Arsenius
"magical drafts and potions"
Scamander, Newt
"fantastic beasts and where to find them"
Tomkink, Garius
"hogwarts: a history"
Trimble, Quentin
"the dark forces"
Waffling, Adalbert
"magical theory"
jafkljsaldfkjakl
jafkljsaldfkjakl

empty

jafkljsaldfkjakl
jafkljsaldfkjakl

══════════════════
dewey's wardrobe
══════════════════
Last edited by Dewey Hughes on 15 Nov 2020, 18:31, edited 4 times in total.

11 Nov 2020, 01:56

『••✎••』
screen name:Cyber
pronouns:They/Them
timezone: CST
bio: Hello everyone!! It's great to be here and I look forward to meeting some of you during my time on this site. I go by Cyber in most internet spaces, have been for the past decade. Sounds like a cool hacker name despite the fact I barely managed to figure out how to make this encyclopedia look decent. At the moment I'm on the track to becoming a Social Studies teacher, and due to the state of the world right now I have nothing but free time. That's why I'm here. I'm sure that's why a lot of you are here. I've been a Harry Potter fan since I was in grade school, and I'm also heavily involved in a plethora of different fandoms. Right now I'm really fixated on Hannibal, Good Omens, and ATLA. I've been roleplaying since I was in middle school, but this is a different platform style than I'm used to. Please bare with me. Other than that, I'm super excited to be on here with all of you!