Muggle-born
Birthday:
December 24, 2008
Wand: 32,8 cm walnut wood and unicorn hair, whippy

Family
Tevye Toukmond
Relation: Father
Reducio
Tevye Toukmond was born on November 16th, 1979 to David and Esther Toukmond. Although his parents had always wanted to fulfill the mitzvah of having a large family, after dealing with young Tevye's insatiable curiosity as a child, they decided they weren't up for the task. Instead, they vowed to make sure Tevye would remember all of their old traditions so that when he was able to, he would have the family they'd always dreamed of for them. Because of this, throughout his childhood, he was raised strictly Orthodox without any chance to learn of other options. He was sent to an all Jewish school where he was taught Hebrew and Yiddish alongside English. He always kept kosher and shabbat, and was taught all the ancient traditions that had been passed down through many generations.

When he turned thirteen, he had his bar mitzvah, which is when a Jewish boy reaches adulthood. Traditionally, before a child's bar mitzvah, they follow the commandments because their parents do, but after a bar mitzvah they follow them of their own free will. This did not apply for poor Tevye. The sheltering of his parents had stopped him from ever learning of a different path he could take, and that sheltering would not be lifted from him until he went off to college.

At college he was exposed for the first time to people of all different ethnicities, beliefs, and cultures. Suddenly, he learned that just because he was raised Jewish, it didn't mean that he had to stay Jewish. This realization changed the way he lived. He had never really connected with Judaism, most likely because of how much his parents pressured him into following it. Now, he began searching for something more meaningful to him than the religion he'd grown up with. That's when he discovered science. Science was something with cold, hard, facts, that actually gave an answer for why the world is how it is. In Judaism, there's a joke that for every two rabbis, there are three opinions for any subject. With science, there were still debates, but there were also foundational truths that everyone agreed upon. Tevye was still Jewish of course, but to a lesser degree from that which he'd grown up with.

When he came home from college as a quantum physicist, his parents started to worry about how much he'd changed. They decided that it was more important than ever for him to meet a nice, Jewish, girl to settle down with. They reached out to friends, trying to find someone who was enough like Tevye so that they'd fall in love, but also Jewish enough to convince him to come back to his old religion. Finally, they could a suitable candidate, named Sarah Cohen.
Sarah Cohen
Relation: Mother
Reducio
Sarah was born on May 15th, 1978 to Isaac and Rhonda Cohen. She had a single younger brother who she was very close to as a child. Although she was raised Jewish, the pressure to continue that tradition was not as high as it was for young Tevye. Her parents loved Sarah and her brother very much, and did their best to nurture them into good people as well as good Jews. Sarah and her brother went to a public school, but twice a week, they would also go to Hebrew school where they learned about Judaism and the Torah. Sarah loved learning about philosophy and religion, and increasingly looked forward to Hebrew school as she got older and was able to learn about deeper and more controversial subjects. However, she was also very curious about science, and loved walking that thin line between science and religion. When she went off to college, she got a Biology major as well as a minor in Jewish Studies.

As Sarah grew older, she and her brother grew more and more separate. Even as teenagers when they lived in the same house, it sometimes felt like she would go entire days without ever seeing her brother. When they both went to college, it got even worse. Although at the start they tried to keep in touch at least every week, as time went on, the calls between them got more and more spread apart. By the time she graduated, she hadn't spoken to her brother in over a year.

Sarah became lonely. Although she'd made many friends in college, after seeing what could happen between two people who used to be so close to each other, she started getting more and more private and shut off from the world. She used her work as a biologist as an excuse to be by herself, until after a while, her parents got worried about her. When they heard that the Toukmonds were looking for a match for their son, Isaac and Rhonda got in touch with them.
Thomas and Sarah Toukmond
Relation: Parents
Reducio
When Tevye and Sarah first met, neither of them really wanted to be there. Tevye because after years of freedom from his parents, he was loathe to crawl back under their control, and Sarah because she'd rather be working. However, after incessant pushing from both pairs of parents, they decided to meet each other, if only to finally get some peace. So, to the joy of their parents, a nice lunch was scheduled for the two. As Tevye and Sarah began to talk to each other, they realized they actually had quite a bit in common. Topics ranged from annoying parents to science to philosophy, and by the time the lunch ended, they were quite good friends. At this point, they were nothing more than friends, and that wouldn't change for a couple years.

Over the course of those years, Tevye finally decided to forego all religion, causing him to legally change his name to Thomas and his parents to disown him. Thomas didn't speak to his David or Esther again for six years, when he told them he was getting married, and they told him they weren't interested. In the meantime, Sarah, having overcome her fear of human connection, started rebuilding her social network to heights it had never seen before, dragging Thomas into the center of it to help him get over his parents.

Thomas and Sarah became closer and closer over the years, leading them to sort of fall into a relationship. They later said that neither could really remember when they'd changed from being friends to a couple, but claimed that it "just kinda happened." In 2004, they got married. Although there was a rabbi as per Sarah's request, other than that, there was no sign of religion at all in the service. Four years later, they had Robert, their only child.
Family
Reducio
Both my parents are muggle scientists, which made it very hard for them to accept that magic is real. My mother, Sarah, is a biologist and my father, Thomas, is a physicist. My mother specialized in marine biology and my father is working to find a Theory of Everything that connects quantum physics to classical physics. Personally, I find my father's work much more interesting, which is why I know more about it. My parents have never been normal, which I've always associated with their jobs. They both work odd hours, sometimes even sleeping in their labs, meaning that I grew up to be very self-sufficient. However, if I know that if I ever really needed something, they'd be there for me in an instant, even if it meant giving up months of research. The fact that they always discussed their work in front of me also meant that I knew a lot more about their respective fields of science than most other people my age.
Apart from my parents, I have no close relatives, including siblings. I do have an uncle, (my mother's brother,) but we aren't very close. I think my mother and him had some sort of argument, but I don't know the details. My father is allergic to cats and dogs, so I've never had a pet. I've also never really had any close friends. Most people can kind of sense that there's something different about me. I used to think it was because of my parents, but now I wonder if it's because of my magical abilities. There was a set of twins, Sadie and Julia Collier, that I grew up with. We were so close that everyone always referred to us as the triplets. However, they moved to the States a few years ago, and we've kind of drifted apart since.

History/Background Story:
Reducio
I had no idea that I was magical until I got the letter, but after receiving it, several things started to make sense. Looking back, many events that I had thought were odd suddenly had an explanation! For example, once, I broke my glasses after accidentally stepping on them before going to bed. However, when I woke up, they were fixed! I thought at first that it was just a dream, but now I know that I must have accidentally fixed them using magic.
I remember the day I got my letter like it was yesterday. My parent's thought it was a joke, but the Leaky Cauldron isn't too far from where we live, so we checked it out. They were very surprised to find that it did in fact exist! The bartender there was very nice, and helped us get into Diagon Alley, where we were able to buy all my school supplies. My favorite part of this was buying my wand from Ollivander's. It took four tries, but we finally found a wand that fit me! I think this was the moment that it really sunk in that all of this was real, not just some fantasy.
After seeing the Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alley, my parents had no choice but to admit that magic was in fact real. To their credit, as soon as they saw that there was overwhelming proof of this, they immediately accepted it as fact. I think the reason for this is because, as scientists, they were used to having hypotheses proven wrong, and had learned to accept that the world doesn't always act in the way we expect it to. However, I was a bit surprised at how supportive they are of allowing me to go to a boarding school in a different country at which I know nobody.
Last edited by Robert Toukmond on 2 Jun 2023, 05:47, edited 15 times in total.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein

STA: 4 | EVA: 4 | STR: 3 | WIS: 9 | ARC: 8 | ACC: 7

13 Jul 2020, 02:51
Robert Toukmond, Third Year, Ravenclaw
Relations

Gryffindor
Reducio
Akari Kato
Ravenclaw
Reducio
Margaret Burkhart
Pericles Dralt
Rohan Fog
Carolyn Hunt
Quinn Smith
Sylvain Wyllt
Hufflepuff
Reducio
Callista Lovis
Elisabeth Erner
Slytherin
Reducio
Leonard Oaksworth
Henry Knight
Jack Burnett
Caelan Stewart
Flash Holmwood
Last edited by Robert Toukmond on 3 Mar 2021, 20:24, edited 6 times in total.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein

13 Jul 2020, 18:55
Robert Toukmond, Third Year, Ravenclaw
Roleplays