Study Room

Register
Sign in

Sweet Gesture  PV   John Wolfe   Closed 

Not long after meeting @John Wolfe had Adlai begun to consider him a friend. They spoke on a daily basis, completed their homework together and on more than one occasion had John offered to walk her back to her houses common room.

However, unlike most friends they never really spoke of anything personal. Whenever Adlai would think a bit it, she didn’t really know John, even after spending all this time with him.

Nonetheless before she knew it winter break had passed and unlike her other friends Adlai had not written a letter to John. She hadn’t become aware of this until she returned to Hogwarts and saw him once again. She started to feel guilty very quickly, even if John didn’t care about her not sending a letter Adlai wanted to make it up to him in some way.

Thus, with a new Holiday being just around the corner Adlai hatched a plan. She would give John an extra special valentine! And everything seemed to fall into place for her when a boy was selling magical valentine treats and cards in the courtyard.

She didn’t remember exactly what he said about them, then again she didn’t really listen to him in the first place. However, she bought a card from him and that night she wrote to John, asking if they would be able to study together the next afternoon.

Adlai Winifred Rod

As John's first year at Hogwarts continued he had at least one regular friend he enjoyed spending time with. Mainly their interactions stayed to the form of classroom projects, sitting with one another, and studying in the Library. Although he enjoyed the discussions of potions or effects on various herbs, the ever intense Transfiguration assignments... John's favorite part was walking Adlai back to the Hufflepuff Common Room. He had been a bit jealous at first realizing how close it was to the Kitchens but knew if he prodded Adlai would possibly share any treats the badgers snuck from the cooling racks next to the ovens. The thought of it made his mouth water slightly... cinnamon rolls... mm..

Most of their walks back consisted of small talk, never truly getting into private topics. If there was a touch upon anything too personal, John would make an attempt to steer the topic elsewhere. The reminder of his parents and upbringing often were a nasty reminder of Adlai's blood. He couldn't imagine how furious his father would be knowing their nightly walks to the Common Room were side by side with a Muggleborn. A small part of him felt ashamed and he still found himself struggling with the part of him that deeply appreciated and enjoyed Adlai's company... and the other that had been ingrained in him for years, the nastiest side of him that again brought him shame for his own thoughts. He felt doomed either way so.. why not just enjoy the girl's company regardless. Plus, Adlai wasn't like the Muggleborns his family and their Pureblood companions spoke of. She held herself differently, seemed far kinder.. were all of their stories really true?

Winter break had been a struggle. John had desperately wanted to write the girl, see how she was doing and hear from her yet.. he knew with his parents there would absolutely be no way to get around them. Staying at Hogwarts had been a great advantage but even then he knew Mina would have made pitstops at his family's home to deliver the letters prior to their destination. As paranoid as it sounded he was sure they would confiscate his letters and read them over, study the families of anyone he addressed.. so instead he secluded himself. There was no way he would admit any of this to Adlai, embaressing and ashamed as he already felt about it... and having to explain everything would become a long and most likely frightening story of his upbringing that made him scared she would never speak to him again. So instead he continued on as if nothing was out of the ordinary while internally his feelings ate away at his stomach.

Shaking the thoughts from his mind, John buried them deep down in his subconscious once more. Adlai had sent him an owl in reference to meeting up to study in their usual spot. Lunch had come and gone, another quiet meal sitting by himself at the edge of the Gryffindor table observing the others around him. Gathering his belongings, John made his way to the Study Room and secured their spot thankful that no one had been sitting there. A couple of times he had come early only to see a handful of Ravenclaws perched at the table.. the interaction had not ended well as he shooed them away sure that he had made enemies of at least a the eldest one. Too bad, it was their spot. Consistency and routine was one thing the young lion always looked forward to.

Setting out his books on the table and bag nestled on the chair next to him, John eased into his seat before taking a quick moment to straighten his uniform collar. Loosening the knot of his tie slightly he let out a breath. Valentines was coming up and every girl seemed obsessed with the holiday. He had been considering getting Adlai something... but was limited as to how to do such a feat. His parents would ask too many questions about why he needed them to begin with and expect a full report later on. As if writing to them weekly wasn't bad enough. He still wasn't sure how he had managed to talk them into that compared to their original rule of daily letters, Poor Mina..

Opening his notebook, John rested his back against the chair, his emerald eyes scanning the room waiting for his friend.

@Adlai Rod
Active Ability: Charmer

@John Wolfe
Somehow, no matter what, John always showed up before Adlai, no matter how early she tried to be. She felt sort of bad for making him wait as she was the one who suggested they meet up.
Walking into the study room school books in hand, Adlai instinctively sat where she always had. This was some kind of unspoken rule she and John had.

“Hello.” She whispered to him as she noticed the grumpy looking Ravenclaws from across the room. “I’m sorry I didn’t ask you to meet up sooner.” Adlai placed her books out neatly in front of her as she pulled pieces of parchment paper out her bag where she had hid the card in one of it’s many pockets.

She was nervous just thinking about how he may react when she gives it to him. This causing her mind to wonder back to the warning the boy made, “It can be used both way.” he said, if she remembered correctly. She tried her best to push it down as she gave John a smile, revealing the metal bars that now lined her teeth.

Over the winter break her parents had deemed it a bright idea to take her to the dentist where they gave her braces. For the first week it was strange and new feelings but now she was rather comfortable with them, even though she hated having to watch what she eats to make sure she doesn’t break them. If she did, she doesn’t know what she’d do. Surely her parents would be upset.
Last edited by Adlai Rod on 16th March 2020, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adlai Winifred Rod

John looked up to see his friend entering the room, a smile instantly sliding across his face. Running a hand through his hair, fingers taming a couple of stray dirty blonde strands back into place, John adjusted his seating position. "Don't worry about it." He hadn't minded waiting and it did give him time to sort of decompress his thoughts after his class. Watching Adlai set up her own spot across from him, it was nice to be back in a routine. Meeting Adlai was a part of that consistency and he felt himself ease back into his daily schedule.

Adlai flashed a smile and John had to clench his jaw to keep it from falling open. The metal running along her teeth made the boy extremely puzzled. What had happened? This had to be some sort of Muggle thing... Shifting in his seat he tried to fight the urge to blurt out an inquiry as to what the bars were. Instead he peeled his eyes from her smile and down to the books in front of her.

"So what's on today's agenda?" The last History of Magic project had taken a toll on his grades recently so he was hoping they might touch on the subject at some point.

@Adlai Rod
Active Ability: Charmer

”So what's on today's agenda?" he asked causing Adlai to twist her body toward him.
“First, I’d like to apologize for not writing to you over the winter break. Then again I had no idea where you lived or if you’d even want me to write to you...” she said as she began to trail off before pulling herself back and taking a deep breathe.
“I have something I’d like to give you to make up for it. I guess you could call it a Valentine!”

Reaching into her bag she pulled out a card and held it out to John. “It’s not much but a boy was selling them in the court yard and I thought ‘why not?’ I hope you like it. If not then I don’t mind I can always make you something if you want! Or if you don’t want anything that’s ok to!” Again she began to trail off as she began to rethink her actions. As she remembered was the boy telling her that the card did something- Maybe it gave people luck in their love life? she thought- For if the card did anything bad she didn’t want John to think she gave it to him for that purpose and him end up hating her for it.

Adlai Winifred Rod