Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

The "Booze Crew"  PV James, Kendra & Kae   Closed 

Kendra froze hearing the question, it looked like there was no avoiding it. It came from Claryssa which caught Kendra even more off guard. On the other hand, it was a pretty legitimate question that most people would ask when meeting someone new. Kendra herself had answered the specific question a couple of times before herself. So why did it feel so weird? 

She looked at the Ravenclaw girl hoping her expression wouldn't give out her hesitation even though her slightly widened eyes and blank look could conceal very little. 

"I come from a wizard family... you know... a full wizard family." she said slowly. What the hell was that? A full wizard family?  Why couldn't she bring herself to say the word 'pure-blood'? "And you?" she asked strongly hoping the answer would be the same. Maybe reputations where only rumors after all.  

Just then she realised the girl has actually asked if she was a muggle-born as well. That could only mean that the girl was a muggle-born herself. "At least Kyden is also pure-blood." she thought, recalling the details the boy had shared on his childhood. She couldn't really remember if the boy had said something that indicated as much or if she just knew. 

Her thoughts started getting out of control again. What if Kyden was pure-blood but he had never said so and Kendra could for some reason sense it? Would that mean that pure-bloods could actually sense each other? She strained her mind trying to remember but she just couldn't, which left her in fear that her parents had been right on the fact that pure-bloods were more magical than muggle associated wizards. 

Kendra

"That's weird. Do you think half-bloods only get half the power? Or muggle-borns get less? Are you the same as me? Wait wait, bend your arm a bit, and flex."
Kaegen's smooth voice was gaining force already, the gentle cloud darkening and preparing for the storm that would never come. He never understood how this worked. How did a wizard just pop up? What made them a wizard? He had been talking about stereotypes, which was interesting, but it was eclipsed by this new topic. Was this girl the same as he was? Maybe her muscle structure, her bones were different. She looked the same, but then again she was blond. Were muggle borns blonde? Maybe pure bloods just have darker hair. It was a possibility.
"Do you think wizard blood makes your hair darker?"
Who knew that these people would be this interesting. It was an awful lot of potential knowledge to be gained. He looked closer at the three students in front of him. What on earth was a nerd? How did we look like them? Did nerds look good? But that question could wait, the questions on blood to power ratio were much more pressing. He wondered if anyone did a study on this.

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Clary nodded her head at Kendra's statement, her pleasant smile quickly flickering to one of confusement as the Slytherin girl asked if she was also a Pure-blood. She was pretty sure she'd already mentioned her blood status, not that she really thought it mattered much, considering she'd still gotten into Hogwarts just like all of the others did, and opened her mouth to reply before getting cut off by Kaegan's statement. Her gaze flitted over to Kaegan, big blue eyes staring at him with a moment of shock as he wondered aloud whether blood-status equated to the amount of power/ability a person possessed.

Clary felt her cheeks flame up in shock at the insult, digging her thumb into the palm of her hand to resist latching out at her Ravenclaw companion. "Although I may be a blonde and not a pure-blood, I don't believe my abilities are any less superior to yours, Kaegan. I've met pure-bloods before with light hair, as well, so I recommend you choose to avoid biased remarks and stereotypes before someone gets upset." Oh, it was definitely too late for that, but Clary took a sharp gulp of air and calmed her nerves, relaxing into her seat. She was sure both Kaegan and Kendra meant well, not realizing the insult at hand, but it still stung her. She glanced over in James' direction, pleading for someone to back her up. Perhaps, no matter his blood-line, he didn't believe in these crazy stereotypes the two other students were flinging her way.

Claryssa North, Ravenclaw First Year ~ memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1506

James, who grew bored with the talk of house stereotypes and blood status, buried his head into the pages of his books to avoid conversation. A bunch of insults were being thrown at Claryssa, though they probably weren't intentional. James was still insulted, though. Being muggle born, he had suspected that people would be a little less rude. It was the opposite, however.

James looked up, only to find Claryssa had been looking in his direction. James began to realize that it'd be best if he said something. "I have brown hair, and I'm muggle-born. So no, your blood status doesn't  determine your hair color. Hair color is genetic." James said, knowing that they'd most likely ask him what genetics are. James went back to his books, the only secure place he had at this time. James remembered back to what Claryssa said earlier about his journal, and began to reach into his bag for it. He grabbed out a leather book with a golden plate that had "Study of Magical Creatures" on it. The book was more or less a way for James to study magical creatures, and also learn more about the wizarding world as a whole.

"You wanted to see it? Here, I don't mind." James said, passing the book to where Claryssa had been sitting. James went back to his book and homework, still trying to ignore the talk about houses and blood status. He thought of it as when his parents talked about politics over diner, boring and unpleasant, and always being dragged into it one way or another.

~James Louis Henderson~

"Oh, you have? And you don't think so? Well, do you think you are stronger than I am?"
It was pretty fascinating. So fascinating, in fact, that he completely missed the hurt and raised tone of voice. There was a reason Kaegen had been placed in ravenclaw, and this was probably it.
Maybe magic sprung up in certain people. Maybe if they married with other kids that original spring of magic slowly dried up. Maybe muggle borns were more powerful than the pure bloods. It would be interesting to find a way to test that theory.
"I don't think anyone is going to get upset. You're brown hair does put a damper on my theory. I don't know what a genetics is, but does it have anything to do with magic?"
What did make up magic? Why on earth couldn't muggles use it? These questions and so many more buzzed around Kaegen's head as he thought of the myriad possibilities that could potentially work.
But as he thought about it, he noticed something weird about what the girl, no claryssa, had said. 'before someone gets upset.' Why would she say that? The only people in the room were the four of them. Did she think one of them would get upset? Kaegen was starting to look at the faces of the students next to him when he noticed claryssa's cheeks. Bright red. He had messed up somewhere. Claryssa was the one upset. In his soft, smooth voice, Kaegen added, more as an afterthought.
"Are you upset?"

Clary ignored Kaegan's question, still silently seething that a boy she had grown to trust and considered to be an elevated acquaintance, if not a true friend, was so completely blind and oblivious to other's emotions. Yes, Clary was injured, not only insulted by the conversation, but she also found it irrelevant to the importance of their friendship. She'd almost prefer talking about wizard politics instead of something that affected all of them so closely. 

At that moment, Clary decided she was more thankful for James than anything else she'd ever seen on the earth. Her pleading expressions had been answered in an effortless manner, both proving Kaegan's theory wrong and avoiding the possible drama that could ensue. She wasn't meaning to make anyone upset, and she doubted they were, as well, but the overall topic of conversation was still uncomfortable and made her want to flee the scene. She nodded her head, mouthing a silent, "Thank you." in her fellow Ravenclaw's direction, and sat down next to him in an empty seat, setting forth on the daunting task of re-organizing her misarranged notes while James pulled something out of his bag.

A moment later, she found a leather journal plopped down in front of her, marked with a golden tag carved with the words Study of Magical Creatures in gorgeous calligraphy. She tossed James a confused glance for a moment, surprised he'd remembered her earlier request, and slowly, but surely opened to the cover page, curious, and a little bit excited, to what she'd find. There was always something curious about looking through other's writings, and of course, Clary always believed the best way to get to know someone was to read something they wrote. Written words had a way of revealing the honest truth when verbal words failed. 

Kendra was extremely confused and uncomfortable at the same time. Claryssa's seemingly harmless question had been followed by Kaegen's seeimingly ignorant ones and the conversation ended up more tense than ever. It wasn't Kaegen's fault of course, the boy, just like Kendra used to be, seemed rather indifferent about this whole situation. His questions were only an indicator of how ridiculous the whole discrimination could get since there was no truth to it.

Kendra's mind itself had been filled with all these doubts only after coming in contact with a few other housemates who had many things to say on the matter. They had ifluenced her far more than what her parents had managed to over the years. One could say they would be proud of her. Either way, the tension had to be relieved somehow. Kendra decided to step in without actually replying or commenting on Kaegan's questions. His hair comment had been silly but if one thought about it, had hair been a blood status indicator, the four of them fit the colors perfectly.

"Kaegan... stop it." she said "Please... this is ridiculous."

She could see how Claryssa was deeply upset and how James seemed indifferent even though one could tell he could potentially get upset if there was more talk on the matter. 

"I don't think we are any different than them." she managed to say following her original mindset, ignoring all the doubts and second thoughts. "Everything you may notice is a coincidence, don't be silly, magic works just the same in all of us, and maybe James is better than you, or maybe I am better than you, it doesn't have to do with blood..." she continued, realising halway through that besides Kaegen she was trying to convince herself as well.

Kendra

James wasn't surprised when Kaegan questioned him about what genetics are. He was suspecting that someone of his nature wouldn't know a thing about biology, much less genetics. Despite expecting it, James was still quite tired, and didn't want to have to give an explanation on genetics. James sighed, muttering under his breath: "Geeze, this school needs a biology class." James began to push his book aside, preparing to give the Kaegan boy an explanation on genetics.

"Genetics are like the building-blocks of life. They determine how a person looks, and how good they are at doing things. If you really want to know something about genetics, the muggle-studies teacher might be able to tell you thing or two. Oh, and, I don't think genetics has anything to do with magical ability. Don't quote me on that, though." James said, slightly annoyed at having to explain what genetics were. James pushed the book back to where it was, which was in front of him. James noticed Kendra trying to stop the enormous amounts of questions Kaegan was asking, and James began to realize why his older brother would eat diner away from the family. 

"So, you guy's have any favorite classes?" James said, trying to change the topic of conversation. He knew his answer, but wanted to learn more about the others. After all, they'd just met in a bar last night. James was awkward around people at his old school, in fact, he'd spend most of his recesses with squirrels rather than people. Because of this, James was happy to have met a small group of friends, and wanting to know more about each of them. He felt asking their favorite classes was a good start.

~James Louis Henderson~

Creatures or humans both share several things. One of them is nervous tension. It was harder for Kaegen to read that in thes people, but not impossible. When he finally got the hint, he got all the hints, rushing in all at once. It hit pretty hard, even though he didn't know why. These people were making no sense at all, they were upset, really upset in some cases but for no reason that Kaegen could fathom.
What had set them off? He hadn't done anything, nothing but ask a few questions. These wizards compared to grandfather like a black spot on a white background. You never knew what was in black, why the black was there. White was different, you knew what to expect, it was open with you. Kaegen looked around, he had gotten a read on the room. Figured out what was going on. He didn't know why it was going on, but it was, and so he reacted. He didn't know how to react, not to these wizards. The stuff about genetics was interesting, but not enough to hold his attention. The distress signals the other students had been sending now obvious to him he popped his head, his arms and his legs inside of his robe. It was dark in there, but less confusing. He took the little moke pendragon out of his wooden box, and looked at him fondly. Maybe he would just stick to what he knew. Let someone else be teacher for the care of magical creatures class. He would finish his seven years, and go home to the fens. They may be unpredictable, but at least it was the right kind of unpredictable.
Pendragon crawled on Kaegens hand, and the boy smiled a bit, pulling the grey scarf a bit higher over his face.

Clary smiled as James rambled on about genetics, thinking of the muggle class she would have taken later on if she had stayed in that education system. Though she'd touched on biology a few times, and, of course, knew what genetics was, she'd never taken a full class on it before. Apparently, science wasn't something wizards viewed to be so important when they could just handle anything they wanted with a wave of their magical wands, and she felt a slight pang of sadness at the loss of the familiar subject. Realizing she was growing distracted, she flipped to the next page of the journal, finding information about the bowtruckle, a cute little fellow who looked a little bit like a leaf. She smiled at the included sketches, tracing a finger over the various notes and tidbits of information James had added in. He seemed to be quite the scholar, indeed.

Upon James' question, Clary glanced up from the book, filling the awkward silence since no one else seemed willing to do so. "I honestly haven't decided yet. It's a tossup between Charms - I love learning the new spells - and Herbology. Defense Against the Dark Arts seems interesting too, but the 'Dark Arts' aren't really a threat anymore, right? I just don't see why it's such a big deal. That's like... so the 90's." She shrugged, and glanced down at James' textbook, before realizing she should say something about it. 

"This is really great, by the way, James. I didn't know you liked writing, journaling, or any of this at all. It's cool."

Back