Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

The "Booze Crew"  PV James, Kendra & Kae   Closed 

Clary, after finally receiving a good night's rest, slipped back into the now-empty study room, nearly teetering over with the stacks of books and papers she had to carry. Last night's chaos was long gone in her mind, now replaced by the utter loads of school work Clary had pressing down on her shoulders. Perhaps the other houses were correct in their assumption of the personality of Ravenclaws because Clary felt as if she was being forced to carry around an entire library with her at the moment. Stumbling forwards, her foot caught on the leg of the chair, and suddenly she went tumbling, parchment going flying around the room before fluttering daintily to the floor, much un-like Clary who just barely managed to stop herself from faceplanting onto the ground.

"Great," the young Ravenclaw murmured dryly, letting out a resolved sigh as she dropped down to her hands and knees, trying to retrieve the now disorganized stacks of paper written in neat, loopy cursive. It was going to take her hours to re-organize the material, but at least it was technically all in the room... somewhere. Too busy scrambling around to pick up her homework-gone-awry, Clary's sketchbook, filled with an assortment of images from mundane scenes all the way to mystical creatures, was felt wide open on the table for anyone who might happen upon the room to see.

Claryssa North, Ravenclaw First Year ~ memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1506

Kendra had been lazily chewing on a pencil while pretending to study. Who was she trying to fool anyways? Probably just herself. She sighed as she let the pencil drop on the wide opened "History of Magic" book that layed before her on the desk. 

"Why do you have to be so boring?" she asked and really hoped for an answer that she knew would be disturbing to actually receive.

At that moment she heard a loud thud along with the sound of a bunch of books dropping on the wooden floor. She turned around to look only to find Claryssa, the Ravenclaw girl from the Leaky Cauldron, that had somehow lost her balance and was struggling to pick up all her hard work that was now spread all over the floor.

"Those Ravenclaws..." she mumbled and rolled her eyes before standing up from her seat and walking over to help the girl. "Need any help?" she asked as soon as she was close enough. The question was rhetorical and as Kendra kneeled down to help her, her eyes spotted an open sketchbook that had slided just a bit further from everything else. She stretched over to grab it and took a look at the page it was opened at. "Hey I wouldn't have guessed you could draw..." she said sounding far more unamused than what she actually was.

Kendra

The frazzled girl nearly had a heart attack as Kendra spoke, not realizing she had been in the room during the moment she'd unceremoniously tumbled inside. "Did you just call me boring...?" she questioned in slight amusement, tossing a surprised glance in the girl's direction before pivoting back to her own work with collecting the stacks of parchments in disarray. Grateful for Kendra's help, she scooted to the side, making space for her to help with the recollection effort, and grinned at the Slytherin girl's mentioning of "Ravenclaws", knowing she fit the stereotype spot-on at the current moment in time.

Too busy trying to figure out where page five of herbology notes went, discussing the uses and appearance of aconite, Claryssa barely registered Kendra's original statement about her drawing abilities. Casually glancing to the side, Clary noticed her acquaintance' hand hovering over the edge of her notebook, and her cheeks immediately reddened, realizing what she was looking at. "Um,"Clary managed to cough out, trying to come off as casual though she was silently screaming inside. "Yeah... I've done a little bit of drawing over the years. My mom was an artist, so I guess it kind of runs in the blood."

Clary resisted the urge to get up and slap the book right out of Kendra's hand, though she knew that would be utterly preposterous and rude of her. Those sketchbooks contained the world through her eyes, in a subjective manner different than the way a photograph managed to make a soft clicking sound and perfectly capture a scene. Clary's sketchbooks contained her whole life, from little stick figures when she was younger, to detailed images of family members, the view from her bedroom window on the second floor of her home, and even magical creatures and items she'd studied over the summer in her preparation for her time at Hogwarts. Although she was fine with others being aware of her passion, she didn't want to be judged for it or have that small, personal part of herself stolen away to the public world.

James was tired from the other night, with bags under his eyes, and a large amount of tiredness from last night. It honestly made him feel like he had a 20 pound weight on his back that was crushing his spine. After the "incident" at the Leaky Cauldron, James began to wonder if he was ever going to get enough sleep. Homework for James was stressful and tedious, and James desired nothing more than for his third year to start right away so he could start the care of magical creatures class. The ravenclaw, though smart, was very lazy and often bored. But the homework had to be done, and not even James could deny that.

After dragging himself out of the comfortable sheets of his dorm room bed, James marched to the study to start doing his homework. The long, wide corridors of the school were mostly empty, which was good for James. The bag that had a strap that twisted and turned around his body was filled with books and school supplies, basically anything anyone could ever need for Hogwarts; and that included his wands and countless journals, with one journal for each class, along with two personal journals of his: The Study of Magical Creatures, a journal documenting several creatures as well as animal-related magic, and a journal about Hogwarts, which was basically filled with mannerisms of the students that James saw.

Finally, James got to the end of the final corridor, and laid before him stood the study room, with two people in it that James could see, but not clearly, as he couldn't identify the faces. A sudden sound arrived at James's ears, one that sounded like the release of paper into the air. James left the people in their to tend to the noise, assuming that he wouldn't be needed. James silently crept into the study, trying to avoid making any sounds. As he approached the tables, James recognized the two girls, as both were a part of the "incident." James began to walk towards the table, trying to make eye-contact with the people already in the room.

James approached the table, placing his bag on the desk. He sat down at one of the vacant seats, pulling out a book on transfiguration as well as the notebook James had exclusively for his transfiguration classes. Transfiguration was by far his favorite class, the only downside being, well, they weren't really learning any spells yet. James, who glanced up at the girls, started to speak, saying:

"So, you guys get any sleep last night?" James said it in a joking manner, the words not really carrying any substance to them. At the same time, James did want to know their own point of views when it came to the event that occurred. James was curious, an attribute of himself he showed a lot, despite him not really being too proud of it. James tapped his index finger on the surface of the desk, awaiting an answer from either of them.

Reducio

Sorry  I didn't really post at the end on the last one. I had a lot of issues, and my WIFI went off for a bit. It's back, so I shouldn't have any issues now.

~James Louis Henderson~

Kaegen slipped into the room. He was making even less sound than he usually did. Which means he was making no sound. Not the sound of breathing, not the sound of his heartbeat. He had no earthly idea what to say, and was planning on listening in a bit before he actually joined the conversation.
The three other students were already there. But that was when he realized that he should probably scrap his hiding idea and instead ask what their names were. He thinks that they already told him, but honestly he hadn't been paying attention.
"What are your names? I didn't think it was important before, so I forgot." Names were a more personal thing. You named things what you wanted to name things, other people did the same. Besides, he hadn't realized that he was going to spend any time at all with these people. It just hadn't been a priority.
But he was looking forward to this. It was interesting, the slytherin girl had shown a surprising amount of cunning for someone who moved so crisply. And the ravenclaw girl seemed really nice. He wasn't sure what to make of the boy. Just the fact that he was probably stronger than all of them combined. A powerful curse like that was nothing to joke about, and the most Kaegen had learned was a levitation charm.

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Clary glanced up, smiling over to James as he entered the room. "I slept, though how well I did is for a separate topic of discussion," she mused, bending back down to attack the few papers that had managed to flutter their way into the far corner of the room. Eventually, her notes, though completely out of order, were stacked in a giant pile and flatted down into her notebook, crumpled edges of parchment poking out all around the sides. She'd have to go through and deal with that later, but for the moment, she was eager to catch up with the curious group of wizards and witches. 

"Looks like you didn't sleep so well, though. Did something happen?" She regarded James with a curious tilt of her head and was about to  begin further questionings of him when Kaegan waltzed into the room, shy and awkward as ever. Clary finally straightened from her crouch on the ground, silently stealing her sketchbook from Kendra's grasp, and slapped her notes along with her beloved items onto the table in victory, glad the crisis had been cleaned up and maintained before something horrid, such as the destruction or damage of her notes, could take place. 

Clary raised her eyes brows at Kaegan's questioning, surprised after all they'd been through he still didn't remember their names. She was especially hurt, having traveled with him on the quest for booze to begin with, but was careful not to let it show on her face. "Claryssa North, pleasure to finally officially introduce myself." She cracked a grin, appreciative of the shy boy's efforts in an attempt to start off a decent conversation. 

James, who was writing in his transfiguration journal at the time, had the question he asked the two girls asked at him in a different fashion, but still basically the same question. James was extremely tired, which hindered his own abilities to work. At this point, James considered falling asleep on his desk to simply get back the sleep that was stolen from him. A few seconds had passed by with no response from James, who eventually rose his head, putting the quill he was writing with onto the table. "I couldn't sleep... Kept waking up in the middle of the night..." James said, trying to straighten out his hair that, at the time, stood up like an army of soldiers.

Shortly after their talk, the other boy from the bar, Kaegan, was it? Entered the study, with James being clueless to his arrival into the room. Kaegan asked their names, to which James gave a quiet chuckle. After what was a restless night for James, this one boy couldn't remember the names of three students, two of which were in his house. The idea gave James quite a laugh. It wasn't like he expected everyone to know his name, of course. The other boy simply must've not been used to interactions with people, which James could understand. James glanced up, his face giving away that he was extremely tired.

"I'm James," James said, smiling while pulling out a vacant seat for the boy to sit down. James was quite excited at the group they had, a Slytherin girl, and two Ravenclaws, all three of them seeming to be extremely skilled in their own ways. James buried his head in his journal once more, flipping through pages and page until something hit him. He remembered something, and in his tiredness he said:

"Claryssa, didn't you try out for the Quidditch team?"

~James Louis Henderson~

Kendra didn't think she was being indiscreet looking into someone's sketchbook as if it was a magazine, even though that was definitely the case. James entered the room and Kendra actually thought he would ignore them at first but then she noticed he was just awfully tired. He asked them how they slept last night. 

"I don't really need much sleep... " she answered the boy's question.

Claryssa then snatched the sketchbook from Kendra's hands, leaving her a little confused before she   stood up and walked over to sit back on her desk next to where James was sitting. Kaegan entered the room and Kendra almost held her breath preparing herself for whatever the boy had in store for them., although she would definitely get excited if he pulled out another pet like the one he had yesterday, or even the same one. She narrowed her eyes listening to his question. 

"I'm Kendra, maybe next time ask a little earlier, how do you even feel safe among people whose names you don't even know?" she said maintaining a positive vibe trying not to sound too rude. Her attention was drawn by James' question to Claryssa. 

"You actually did?" she asked the girl "How was it? Did they pull any tricks on you to make it even harder? I heard they do that sometimes." she said curiosity written all over her face. 

Kendra

Clary laughed, surprised James would even remember her presence there, and nodded her head in his direction before being exposed to some quick rapid fire from Kendra's sharp tongue. Her mind racing to keep up with the girl's volleying questions, she nodded her head, waiting for her to finish with all of the questioning before beginning. "Quidditch try-outs were actually really fun! I mean... I was totally frazzled, but it was a nice group of people. I had to use a school room, not that I didn't mind, but I swear it sputtered out once or twice. James can probably relate."

She continued on with her recounting of that day. "Um... I tried out for Keeper and Chaser? Not sure how good I did at either of them, but I made a few goals and even stopped a few, so you have to give me that!" She shrugged, leaning back in her chair, and glanced over at James, tilting her head to side curiously. Although she was unsure of her first impressions of the Ravenclaw boy, after careful assessment in her mind, she decided she liked him fair enough. He was kind, trusting, and even willing to help without having any context to the situation at hand, a quality she appreciated in a friend. Sure, she didn't really know him yet, but she decided he was fair enough to trust, even after the strange petrificus totalus episode. 

Nearly forgetting, Clary informed James with a smirk, "You know, you still technically owe me a look into your journal!"

How did he feel safe? "Well, I made sure that if you tried to stab me, I would be able to dodge."
It seemed common sense. Who would let their guard down in a group of people? People were unpredictable, worrying. You never knew what they might be thinking, plotting behind your back. It was just all around safer to not trust them too much. "You were harder to guard against than the other two." He looked at kendra without much of a expression. She had been extremely well disguised, had thrown her cloak aside rather quickly. All in all she had been unpredictable.
He now knew all three of their names. He thought it would make him feel like he belonged more, but it didn't really change much. He had to remind himself to think about them using their names, and not whatever action was the most memorable. They were talking about quidditch now, he had tried out for that. But he probably wouldn't get a position. It didn't matter much, he was mostly there to learn how to fly a broom. Quidditch came second. He could learn some other way, he was sure.
"What is slytherin like. Aren't you supposed to be mean? Will you get fired?" He asked kendra the question, and thought a bit. If he stopped learning, would he get fired? From ravenclaw? Where would they put him? The other two seemed pretty safe from this fate but he should probably carry around a book, just in case.

Kendra was beginning to feel a little concerned about what was going on in Kaegen's head or where exactly he had grown up in. She did feel a little proud hearing how he thought she would be harder to guard against.

Clary was talking about Quidditch and for some reason Kendra couldn't stop thinking about how the girl seemed to be just what a Quidditch player ought to be like. It was really easy picturing her as part of the Ravenclaw team. Kendra herself had been hesitant on trying out for the Slytherin team herself. What if she messed up and was marked as the dumb Slytherin that doesn't even know how to ride their broom? The thought really stressed her out. 

Kendra felt rather confused listening to Kaegen's question. It took her a few seconds to understand what he was talking about.

"I think you are talking about all the pure-blood wealthy families half the Slytherins belong in and how they think they are just better than anyone else." she said trying to conceal the fact her family was just the same. "No I don't think there's a rule to behave in a certain way in any of the houses... I won't get fired." she explained.  But what if I am mean like the rest? She wondered, feeling uncertain about her own identity. Her family had definitely not been a great influence. What if that showed under certain cirumstances? Would people be disappointed then?

Kendra

"Why do they think they are better than everyone else? Do you think that you are better than everyone?" This was incredibly interesting. This slytherin girl sure knew a lot about her house. Kaegen knew almost nothing about his house. It was supposed to be smart. Or something. Kaegen didn't really think of himself as smart. He could read and write, but not very quickly or anything. He had read a total of one book before coming to hogwarts, and had been too busy here to read many more than that.
He looked at the other two kids there. "We're supposed to be smart, yeah? I mean, raventalons, the house."
He had heard enough to know at least a passable understanding of the houses, but maybe he could learn more from fellow house mates. It would make sense. And Kendra could teach him about slytherin.
Looking out at the books, he mentally groaned. He liked raventhingy, he really did. His house had beds, with clean sheets on them. Soft sheets. But reading, while a ton of fun, reading was incredibly interesting. But it was tedious. Was he really expected to read all of those? His mind warred between wanting to read them all, to find out what was inside, and not wanting to read all of them.
Well, he should probably pay more attention to the other students.

Clary hummed quietly, turning to sift through her bag while Kendra and Kaegan exchanged a few short words. She was relieved to find that Kaegan was becoming more comfortable with the small group of students, even being so bold as to start up a conversation with the Slytherin girl who had originally mistaken as a boy and paid for dearly. Successfully tracking down a small tub of ink and a perfectly-conditioned quill at the bottom of her leather satchel bag, she placed them gently onto the table and glanced over at the Ravenclaw Boy and Slytherin Girl, a slight smile on her face as she watched them shoot questions back and forth, while James started intently over at his "journal".

Her interest piqued at the mention of the generic stereotypes for the Slytherin house, realizing every single Hogwarts house had some kind of generalized stereotype, whether it be the Slytherins, who were mean and cunning, the Ravenclaws, who were nerdy and intelligent, the Gryffindors, who were reckless and bold, or the Hufflepuffs, who were irrelevant and overly kind to the point of annoyance. Each house had all of these generalized stereotypes,  but in the end, how many people actually fit into them? Take Kendra for example. Although she'd come off a bit hostile at first, she was by no means evil. The girl was definitely, cunning, though, but she knew that was a trait more than just Slytherins possessed.

Clary was surprised to find that even Kendra had biased opinions about the pure-blood families in her own house! Perhaps it was true that a few of the students from richer bloodlines were a bit snobby, but she highly doubted they were running around planning on massacring the 64% of the student population that happened to be muggle-born. She also was a bit confused on where Kaegan came up with the idea of a student getting "fired" from their house if they didn't meet the chosen stereotype. Wasn't the whole point of attending school in order to push kids out of their comfort zone and encourage them to entice change? Yes, Ravenclaw was known for having intelligent students, but the Ravenclaw house also encourages their students to be curious, innovative, and interested in learning new things, not necessarily always getting good marks. She didn't want to just say she fit into one stereotype and be done with her personality. When people referred to her as "just as Ravenclaw", she felt like her whole being was reduced to nothing. Everyone is unique, and everyone has their little quirks and differences about them.

A house-full of the exact same people would just be boring.

Reducio
Sorry for being a little late 

Kendra hesitated when Kaegen asked her if she thought she was better than everyone else. She would never think in such way, but just the mention of it brought back memories of her childhood. Her parents had never been too shy to express their opinion and try to force it on Kendra as well. "Those of impure blood are not worth your time child..." her father used to say "You'll grow up one day and see how things really work out there, they only want to harm you, you have to be strong enough to face them."  She struggled to focus and answer the question.

"No... I don't think I'm better..." she plainly said hoping Kaegen wouldn't ask more on the subject.

She noticed Claryssa had also turned her attention to their conversation. Would she have to lie to protect her reputation among the other houses? She knew she didn't have to hide when she was with Slytherins. Was it different now? Maybe some Ravenclaws also had evil pure-blood families. So many stereotypes... 

"Well, you guys definitely look the nerdy type..." she said with a shrug "I don't mean it in a bad way, it's just that you do." she felt as awkward as Kaegen when he was saying the wrong thing without intending to. She was mostly referring to Clary and James., she wouldn't have guessed Kaegan was in Ravenclaw, not in a million years. 

Kendra

"I do not-" Clary shut her mouth at Kendra's comment, knowing there was really no way she could make a fair argument for the statement. She wasn't exactly a nerd in the whole glasses with one's nose stuck in a book kind of way, but she was a studious student, most of the time, and enjoyed writing and drawing in her free-time. That's what she considered herself to be. An art nerd. Facts escaped her mind in a heartbeat, but images remained last in her memory for a decent amount of time. 

A frown flickered on Claryssa's face, noticing Kendra's discomfort with the topic of Slytherin stereotypes. Either the girl was a muggle-born, and had already faced them herself personally, or she chose not to believe in them, despite what her house members or other possible family members might have told her to do. She realized as she continued to contemplate on the subject that she actually didn't know much about Kendra, or where she came from. Clary, of course, was unbiased, being a muggle-born herself, but perhaps Kendra was from one of the pure-blood families that perhaps had more liberal, instead of traditionalist, views.

"Do you come from a wizard family or are you muggle-born, as well?" she questioned Kendra curiously, genuinely wanting to know the answer.

Back