Study Room

Register
Sign in

Simple Study  Open 

Opal skipped down the hall. Normally, she would never skip, what a childish thing to do!
But, the certain situation she was in -Or wasn't in, to be truthful- made her much happier than usual. She had received lots of praise in History of Magic for knowing the exact number of days the First Wizarding War lasted (Approximately 4015, AKA Eleven Years), while the rest of her housemates in the lesson silently kicked themselves. Of course, Opal could tell, because the eye doctor had magically amplified her eyes when her mother secretly took her to the wizard doctor, all the while claiming to her Muggle father that her mother was taking Opal to the Muggle mall.
She was sure of this because before asking her, the teacher called on four other people, all of whom had said "About...". For one; the teacher was asking the exact number. Secondly; every student had told her eleven years, which was right but it was the day count she was asking for.
Finally, Opal arrived in the Study Room. When she entered and softly shut the door, Opal noticed the curtains were drawn and the room was empty. How strange.. The Study Room is never empty... Then again, maybe there was a big Gobstones match I didn't know about! She strode over to the window, and yanked the curtains open, allowing a large blast of light in to blind her eyes.
Opal continued this motion almost four more times until the room was bathed in glorious sunlight. She then sat down in a chair, opened her bag and pulled out a bottle of ink, a quill, and multiple books and got to work on her DADA homework.

A room without books is like a body without a soul. ~Marcus Tullius Cicero

Simple Study  Open 

Marjorie rounded the corner just in time to see someone walk into the Study Room. She hoped that it wouldn't be too crowded because she desperately needed to study for her least favorite class, Defense Against the Dark Arts. The subject was hard for her to grasp but she wasn't going to give up so easily. All she needed to do was focus.

The first thing she noticed when she opened the door was how quiet it was. She half-expected to see a bunch of other students but there was only one girl sitting by herself studying. Marjorie thanked whoever was above these days and closed the door behind her.

Marjorie nodded at the girl and went to sit down, placing her books and supplies quietly down on the table. She didn't want to disturbed the tranquility that the room had to offer because she wanted to use it herself.

She was wearing her school robes, fitted with the Ravenclaw crest of her heart. Her purple probably stood out but she liked that fact, it made her feel different. Marjorie was very small for her age, no more than four feet and a half, but some of her physical features, like her eyes and ears, were overly large, and her fingers were long and boney, like the rest of her body. Although she has a lot of self-confidence, she feels like her best feature is her blue eyes.

Marjorie smoothed down the front of her robes and flickered her eyes at the girl, wondering what she was studying. If they were studying the same thing, they could probably do so together. She would love to have a study-buddy.

She dived into her studies, opening her Defense Against the Dark Arts book and re-reading the chapter for the hundredth time.

Simple Study  Open 

Opal glanced up from her book to look at the purple-haired girl who'd just entered. She kept a straight face and looked back down and continued to read about the Second Wizarding War, having done her DADA homework, and was merely studying.

Voldemort's Last Stand

Harry's final defeat of Lord Voldemort and the end of the Second Wizarding War

The crowd retreated and watched then as the two great enemies, Voldemort and Harry Potter, bantered and circled each other. Harry dared Voldemort to feel remorse, to which Voldemort responded by shooting a Killing Curse from the Elder Wand. Harry simultaneously cast his own signature spell, the Disarming Charm, using Draco Malfoy's wand. However, because the Elder Wand rightfully belonged to Harry, the Killing Curse rebounded and ended Voldemort's life once and for all, restoring peace to the wizarding world. Harry then, shortly after, used the Elder Wand to repair his own broken wand, and then placed it back in Dumbledore's tomb, hoping the wand's power would die with him.

The Second Wizarding War was over with a decisive victory for the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army. Few members of the Order survived, but most the Death Eaters and allies were either killed or imprisoned after the war, except the Malfoy family.

In the years following the Second Wizarding War, Interim Minister of Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt lead a massive reform of the Ministry of Magic in order to put an end to prejudice based on blood status and to better combat Dark Wizards in the future. Hermione Granger helped advance the rights of magical creatures and eradicated the old pro-pure-blood laws from high up in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Ron Weasley later went on to join his brother George at Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes, which became an enormous money-spinner...
Opal shut her book, slightly bored. She took out a piece of parchment from her bag, a quill, and a bottle of ink, as well as From Egg to Inferno: a Dragon-Keeper's Guide, which she'd picked up from the library on the way to the Study Room. Finally, I can relax. She thought and opened the book, wet the quill, and started writing.
After about 20 minutes later, Opal noticed the girl tapping her quill absentmindedly on the desk, which made an incredibly annoying tap-tapping sound. She put down her quill, got up, and strode over to the girl's table.
There was nothing but coldness in her eyes, and even Opal knew it.
"I'm sorry, can you stop?"

Simple Study  Open 

Reducio
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you can't godmod my character, which is controlling. I didn't say that she was tapping her pen, but I'll go with the flow this time. ;)

Defense Against the Dark Arts was an interesting subject. In fact, it was so interesting that Marjorie couldn't figure out why she couldn't grasp the concepts. Her parents, or her old school, never really talked much about the subject since they never encountered much dark magic. The only thing they'd told her was to learn the Patronus Charm as soon as she could, so in case she encountered any Dementors she'd be ready.

But she wouldn't be able to learn that spell until she was in her sixth year, and that was such a long time. In her classes, though, she was taught she would learn how defend herself against other things like hexes, curses, and jinxes, and if she wanted she could participate in dueling. Although she was weary of the risk of getting hurt by a spell, Marjorie still thought it would be cool to show off her skills so she was definitely going to look into dueling.

The page she was on actually had to do with a spell that would be useful in dueling: the Knee-Reversal Hex would switch the knees from the front to the back, something she'd used if she was being chased by her enemies. Marjorie smirked, imagining casting it on one of the annoying girls at her school. The muggles there were strange; they'd be annoyed first and afraid later.

She kept reading, going onto a paragraph explaining where the hex came from and it's known uses. She didn't realize that she had began to tap her pen, having become a little fretful while studying. She began to do this for far too long apparently because the only other person in the room came over to tell her to stop.

Startled, Marjorie dropped her pen, which rolled off the table. “Whit? Ah wasn't daein' anything—oh,” she stammered, her Scottish accent spilling from her lips.

Marjorie cleared her throat. “Pardon, I didn't realize that I was doing something so...irritating.” She muttered the last part, having noticed the girl's cold look. She offered a smile and her hand. “I'm Marjorie. It got a little quiet in here, figured I was alone for a moment, I guess. And you are?”

Simple Study  Open 

Of course, the girl's stammering made Opal's cold stare falter, and she again became the young, insecure girl she was before. She extended her hand kindly, shook the girl's, and awkwardly withdrew it and looked at the floor.
"Er, sorry! I don't uh... Mean to be mean." Opal stuttered over her words, embarrassed she'd made the girl stop doing her homework to talk to her.

"Anyways, I'm Opal. Opal Ivory. It's a pleasure to meet you! And, I didn't mean to startle you. If I did. Of course. Also, I-"
Opal was interrupted by a strangely familiar tapping noise, unlike that of the girl's quill before. She smiled and strode to the window, which curtains were still drawn. Opal opened the curtains and flinched as the golden light blinded her eyes. What was surprising, however, was what was sitting in the window.

Perched gracefully upon the windowsill, sat a gloriously white snowy owl. Opal smiled, and opened the window just enough so she could unwrap the parcel tied to its leg. She reached into her pocket, pulled out 6 Knuts, and, distributing 5 of them into one small velvet coin bag, and 1 into another, Opal stroked the owl's head and shut the window gently. The owl flew away.
"Finally, the Daily Prophet is here!" Opal said, with a small smile on her face.
"As I was saying, I didn't get your name."

Simple Study  Open 

Marjorie hid a smile behind her hand, looking back down at her paper. The girl went from sour to sweet in such a little time, but she appreciated it, she didn't feel like bringing out her own mean side at the moment.

She waited until the girl stopped stuttering to look back up. She introduced herself as Opal Ivory, which Marjorie thought was very crystalline. It was a pretty name, just like the gemstone itself. After a quick study Marjorie concluded that girl was also pretty, but she didn't reaction to that idea.

She did react to the girl's second stammering, barely managing to fight back a smile. She truly hoped that she wasn't that intimidating, or...whatever that was making this girl nervous.

Marjorie was going to say something when suddenly there was a similar tapping sound on the window by her. She jumped a little and twisted around, watching as the girl approached the window. Light pooled into the room as she thrust back the curtains, which made Marjorie cover her eyes. When they adjusted she took a good look.

There was an owl. It was carrying a parcel, which Opal retrieve, giving money in exchange. The creature flew away and the girl explained how it was from the Dailey Prophet. Marjorie herself got her own issue just an hour ago but she didn't get a chance to say this, because the girl asked her for her name.

“Oh,” she said, brushing back her bangs. “I'm, uh, Marjorie Skelton, Ravenclaw novice.” She gestured to her crest, in case the girl hadn't noticed, which was unlikely. She glanced at the newspaper, watching the pictures move. She hadn't read her own yet so she decided to ask about it. “What does it say? Any juicy headlines, maybe?”

Simple Study  Open 

Opal untied the parcel and opened it. Two things fell out. One, the significantly bigger one, was the latest copy of the Daily Prophet. The other was a small envelope. Opal first looked at the Daily Prophet. Her eyes widened at the front-page headline.

"Bloody heck.."
Opal was gaping at this point. She didn't know what to say!

The Daily Prophet
Gringotts Break-In

As the Wizarding World knows, the Gringotts Bank has never been broken into since the time of Harry Potter's youth. Today, several interrogations are going on at Wizard London to see what the Ministry can find out.
"Gringotts was Broken Into!"
As Opal contemplated the situation mentally, she began to pace. Most of her friends knew that Opal paces when she's thinking heavily, and the girl, Marjorie, would also find out about it. She'd mutter something, then swat the thought away as if it were a fly.
"Do you know what this means, Marjorie? There could be some sort of 'uprising' or something! Nothing like this has happened before Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban! What do you think we, as wizard youth, could do about it? I mean, I could make a petition, or a survey, ooh! Or even, a money drive, or whatever those Muggles call them." She put her hands on her hips, clearly getting excited.

"What do you think, Marjorie?"