Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

Unexpected Friendships  PV Dmitri Jones   Finished 

The study room was a wide-ish room, filled with desks and some shelves of books here and there. it was quite similar to the library, and small lamps were put on every desk. It was mainly used as a quieter and smaller library, where teachers could have talks with students or where detention was for certain. Today, it was for neither of those causes that Peach walked in. She needed to study Astronomy, as she was avid of learning about it. She already had a pretty wide knowledge of the subject but she wanted to learn even more. She pretty much wanted to be the best in her class. 

She already had some books in her hands, that she had taken from the library, but this one was being used by different clubs and so was too loud for studies. She found a desk towards the back of the room and she sat down and took some parchment out of her bag. She looked around a little, before starting to read. Some people were copying things that were written on a board, for detention. Other students were studying, and she could see some really struggling. It made her smile a little and she started working. 
Last edited by Peach Thorne on 19th April 2018, 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

hungry ghosts and book thiefs

Fundamentals of Transfiguration.... Nope. Household Magic: Theory and Applications--double nope. Charms for Dummies--ah, here's a book I could use. Dmitri kept on muttering to himself as he went down a row of shelves looking for journals and texts he could use to study for Advanced Charms. He is currently setting his sights on learning the Confundus Charm within a term--secretly--so he could exploit it to his advantage.

Around the study room were rows of shelves that contained books and publications ranging from outdated to shiny-new. It was--and probably still will be--used as a miniature library for the mundane collections of Hogwarts texts. What's good about the wizarding world is that theories and practical applications of spells and magic don't change too quickly, thus, even centuries-old books still retain quite a lot of knowledge. The book he's holding now called Charms for Dummies was quite recent, published in 1998, as compared to others that go back to times when even Nicholas Flamel was an unborn child.

He tucked the book under his arm and proceeded to walk around the shelves toward his vacated seat on a back corner. However, when he emerged, he saw something he didn't like. 

Someone was sitting on his desk.

What. The. Hell. Dmitri silently fumed as he strode purposefully towards the girl who was now hunched over her schoolwork. Didn't she notice the bookbag beside the seat and the neat pile of books around the table? 

Granted, it does look like any other empty desk around--cleanup around the Study Hall isn't as frequent as the Main Library--because piles of books are also placed on the others. However, shouldn't witches and wizards be observant? He thought to himself, nostrils flaring as a tick on his forehead started to develop.

Dmitri strode right up beside the girl and crossed his arms. "Hem hem." He fake-cleared his throat loud enough to hopefully catch the girl's attention.

Dmitri Kazimir Jones | Second Year Slytherin
Strength: 4 | Control: 10 | Agility: 10 | Stamina: 11

Peach was in the middle of reading about the different systems and planets that have yet to be explored when she heard someone getting close to her.

"Hem hem."

She looked up and found a boy, a first year in Slytherin, holding a book. He looked a little pissed and she didn't know why. Maybe she had taken the book he was interested in? There was no chance that the desk was his, as it looked the exact same to all of the other desks. The young girl looked at him, confused.

"Can I help you?" she said, in a sweet tone. She didn't think that being rude would help and maybe she  could make a friend out of that boy. She put her quill down and fully faced the boy. "I'm Peach, I'm in Hufflepuff." . She smiled at him and tried to stand up but she stumbled on a bag that was put not far from the desk, just far enough that you could not see it at first glance. Her eyes widened and she looked slightly embarrassed. It probably was his desk that she was sitting at and that was probably why he seemed pissed. She looked back at him with a small embarrassed smile and stood awkwardly before him.

She felt quite bad, but after all, it was just a desk and there were many in the room. If she wanted to be at the back she could move a desk down with a spell and it'd be done. But she didn't really want to. She didn't want to move off of this desk either. After a couple of minutes without anyone saying anything, she decided to speak out and excuse herself.

"I'm guessing that this is your desk? I'm sorry, I didn't see your bag and so I thought it was free."

Dmitri almost recoiled at the girl's sweet tone when she answered him. Most people usually either lashes back or just ups and leaves. He didn't expect a goody-two-shoes approach.

Needless to say, he was stumped. Dmitri got used to people reacting negatively to his albeit haughty demeanor that he gets flustered when someone actually talks to him civilly.

He doesn't know if he likes it, honestly.

The raven-haired boy raised an eyebrow slightly as she mentioned her house. Hufflepuff. I should have known. That's why she was so... gentle-mannered, to say the least. Most of the people he encountered were either from his own house, Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. The people there are usually unopposed to starting fights--even looking for them sometimes, so it was kind of...refreshing?... to encounter a new type of person.

Dmitri cleared his throat again--this time for real. "Yes. Indeed, this is my desk. And it would do you good to vacate it, thank you very much." However, before he could lean downwards and grab his bag off the floor--the girl accidentally kicked it too far under the desk--he got a glimpse of the cover of the book the girl--Peach, was it--was reading.

"Excuse me, if I may ask. What are your thoughts on space travel?"

Space travel is one of the topic that the raven-haired boy was actually very passionate in--more on the technological side of it rather than the discovery side. And he hopes to one day find a way to finally merge technology and magic to push space travel much farther forward--because we all know magic and muggle technology don't really mix well.

God forbid he actually found a student in Hogwarts he could actually intellectually admire in the Hufflepuff girl right in front of him.

She could hear them talking in loud voices. Elia didn't want to be rude, but she couldn't study with them talking about 'Space Travel' in loud voices. While normally she wouldn't mind, but there was no way she would pass Defense Against the Dark Arts if she was constantly getting P's D's and T's.

Elia stood up and walked over to two kids in the Study Hall. Mustering up the courage she coughed quietly to let them know she was there. 

"Excuse... Excuse me." She stuttered hiding her face behind a book. The two kids kept talking not noticing her. Elia was getting a little impatient. She stamped her foot. The boy and girl looked at her and then each other. 

"Do you need something?" the girl asked. Elia nodded.

"Excuse me... You... You're being to... to loud." She stuttered a little quietly. The boy spoke up.

"Sorry. We're talking abo-"

"Space travel. I... I know. I... I heard you from... from over... over there." Elia pointed behinds her. From their robes, she saw the girl was a Hufflepuff and the boy was a Slytherin. There was an uncomfortable silence as Elia and the other kids stared at each in an awkward silence. Elia looked at the girl's papers. There where some facts on the paper that where wrong. 

"Your facts..." Elia pointed to the paper. "Some... Some... Some of those... are... are wrong." 

The two looked at her with confused looks. 
Last edited by Elia Wilfor on 8th March 2018, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to all of you who told me no. Because of you, I learned, failed and did it anyway

Reducio
Elia, it's a private rp between Dimitri and I, but if he is okay with you joining in then allgoods. I shall answer this afternoon, after class  :))

Reducio
I'm fine with it :) Though, I have a small pet peeve against godmodding, but other than that, you're good to go Elia. I'm going to wait for Peach to reply first since I asked her a question in my last post.

The young boy didn't seem too sure on how to react to the girl's calmness. Puffs were known for their kindness and Peach was in the box. He seemed to have a small battle within himself before asking, quite rudely, for her to move out of the desk. Peach silently nodded, her smile still on her face. Kill him with kindness, she thought. She found it to be the best way to stay out of trouble whilst annoying whomever is trying to start something.  She rolled up her parchment paper and closed her book. She saw the boy's eyes read the title of the said book. 

"Excuse me, if I may ask. What are your thoughts on space travel?", he asked. Peach stopped packing her things and she turned around with stars in her eyes. Space travel? She loved it. She loved anything to do with space. And that a young rude boy was interested in it, it surprised her.

"I find it amazing! Discovering a little more about the world around us is fascinating! And all the science behind it! And I think it would be even greater if science and magic worked hand in hand to help and fix each's flaws. With magic involved in space travel, we possibly could be able to make all of those other planets habitable, and easier of access. As it can take years to reach one of those planets, magic could help in that. I haven't especially learned and studied about this subject but I do know a great lot. My grandfather was an Astrologer, and so since I was little I've been fascinated by space. What about you?" She had talked fastly and excitedly and she hoped that she hadn't scared him away. She hadn't met anyone very into space stuff yet and it felt refreshing and good to talk about it. 

Reducio
I didn't say anything about Elia as I don't know if she wishes to participate

Reducio
Yes, I'd like to participate. If that's still ok, otherwise I won't bother you!

Thanks to all of you who told me no. Because of you, I learned, failed and did it anyway

Reducio
Go ahead and post Elia's POV. I'll be posting right after. So the order afterwards would be Me, Peach then Elia. Also we arent allowed to post these flood-type messages in rp threads xD i already have been reprimanded by a staff once. This will be my last flood message lol

Reducio
I just have a last flood message. Ellia, you can not write for my character, or Dimitri's, unless he doesn't mind. but I really would like you to not do that, please. As you did in your first post when you wrote for Peach. I think it's in the rules of the website too. Thank you. 

Reducio
Of course. I will not write for your characters. Or send any flood messages. It's been some time since I role played and a couple rules have been fuzzy in my mind. I'm sorry.

Elia's studying habits where interrupted when it became loud. There was a loud discussion next to her, about space travel. While Elia usually enjoyed listening in on space travel discussions, she needed to concentrate on her work. But her mind soon flooded with images of spacecraft flying past the stars. 

Still in a daze, Elia walked over to the book shelf near the two who where talking about space travel. She reached for a book about transfiguration before having 3 books fall on top of her. Each heavier than the last. 

"Ouch!" she cried. The pain from the books on her head covered the other noises she made. In fear she had brought attention to herself, she stood up with some difficulty and wandered back to her section of the table, carrying all three books.

She opened up one of the heavier ones that had fallen on her. Ironically, it was a chapter giving the wizards explanation of space travel. 

Elia grabbed a piece of parchment from her paper, and began to write. It may have looked like she was writing from the book, but she was writing out the description of the real way spacecraft worked. 

Elia finished writing it up and slipped it in the book. She stood up shakily and wandered over to the two students. 

Elia slipped the book in front off them before walking back to her seat and burying her nose in another book. 

Dmitri's skeptical frown slowly morphed into a small smile. "Exactly!" He nodded enthusiastically as the other student continued her speech. The raven-haired boy, having lived most of his life thinking he was a muggle and then suddenly thrust into the wizarding world, believed that somehow, someday, wizards and muggles will get past their differences and work together to create a better world. As a student, Dmitri is really passionate about succeeding in his field and surpassing everyone in the school (I mean, he is a Slytherin) but he was also passionate about muggle-wizard relationships. He'd like to work on that Diplomacy after Hogwarts when he inevitably gets a position in the Ministry of Magic.

"The only thing stopping us is that the Wizarding world is very particular on the traditional,the tried and tested. It really doesn't have enough of a drive to move forward and consider the future. Muggles on the other hand are very future-sighted--so much so that they forget their roots and disregard history. I think that when each side learns of their mistakes, they'd do so much more together than apart. Don't you think s--" His tirade got interrupted as an unmistakable sound of dropping books reverberated from the shelves somewhere behind their desk.

A moment later, a girl appeared and approached them.

She hesitantly gave Peach and Dmitri a book with a piece of paper attached and scurried away. Raising his eyebrow, confused, the raven-haired boy shrugged and handed Peach the book. "Do you want to read what it says?"

Reducio
Im sorry for replying so late guys. I didn't notice that I didn't have the notifs for this rp turned on.

Peach was listening, smiling, to the young boy's words. He was talking about Muggled being more concerned by the future and the unknown than wizards, which made it difficult for the two societies to cooperate. He was saying that wizards didn't have enough of a drive to move forward and that they preferred the safe ways of the known and tested, whereas muggles preferred to look at their future which caused them to lose their traditions and cultures. She nodded, silently at his words and he was going to ask her a question when a young girl approached them and handed them a book with a piece of paper attached to it. She then walked away and Peach looked over at the Slytherin boy in confusion. This one asked her if she wanted to look, and so she opened the book and started reading the things that she had written on the piece of paper. 

Peach finished reading and handed the paper to the young boy. " She wrote down how spacecraft works, but this stuff I already knew. Space rockets and such aren't a mystery to me, but they are incredibly fascinating. It's unbelievable that one space rocket uses itself the amount of energy that 10,000 automobiles with their accelerators on the floor use, as President John F. Kennedy explained. They need engines that are able to thrust the rocket upwards and thus power needs to be stronger than gravity itself as obviously, this one will drag the rocket down and its weight will not help. " her face was enlightened by the experience because she knew that this young boy would understand what she was saying and he wouldn't be confused at all, and so she kept going. " For this, one singular rocket needs more than a million lbs of fuel to propel itself out of the atmosphere. I believe that this is where magic could come in handy because us, as wizards, we don't really use fuel for much. We use magic instead. And what if that's what we did? But then, as you said, our two societies aren't so compatible for such things so... " She hadn't realized that she had spoken so much and so her face took a light red-ish color as she looked down at the book the other girl had handed her. 

Reducio
Oof, I'm so sorry, my life has been a massive mess lately. I moved countries and so and so but I'm good now. So sorry for the delay. 

The Slytherin tilted his head in mild interest and admiration as the Hufflepuff girl laid down intellectual facts about rockets. He nodded eagerly, excited to have found another intelligent and passionate mind as his. This is one student he could use as an ally, he thought to himself. 

"Yes, I really do believe that as of right now, the muggle society and its magical counterpart will only turn against each other in hostility. Both of them believe different things--I for one know this because I have lived my whole life as a muggle when I was unknowing of my magical origins. Now that I've experienced the two societies myself, I can confidently say there will be no good to come out of their interactions with our present mindset, norms and societal limitations." He smiled as the girl rambled, finding it funny because he himself was rambling as well. "Oh my god, we should be friends!" Dmitri laughed. "We both talk too much! It's literally verbal diarrhea as of this point."

"Anyway, speaking about norms and societies, I do find that the house system of Hogwarts has been blown way out of proportion. More times than I could count, people who don't know me accuse me and suspect me as being evil, dark--along those lines--all because I was sorted into Slytherin. I find it hard to make friends outside of my house, first and foremost, because of that mindset. I hope you don't think the same way. I presume you dont?"

Back