Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

Bored to the Bone  PV Marla Quinlan   Complete 

Isaiah threw his wand up high in the air, flicking his wrist so that it would spin as it flew. He watched the wand as it twisted around, before catching it in his left hand.
He was sitting on a small, red couch, the type you'd find in early 20th century houses, in the study room, a place he didn't normally go, as studying never really fell into the category of things he enjoyed. Isaiah was horrible at schoolwork - sitting still had never been for him. He was always getting in trouble for fiddling or tapping or whatever else.
But rain was pouring down in buckets outside, and the Gryffindor common room was stuffed full of people looking for a retreat from the weather. So Isaiah had come here, where, although packed, the crowds weren't as dense as those elsewhere.

Bored, he started flicking his wand in the air again, slowly throwing it higher and higher until it actually hit the roof. He continued, throwing it again and again, until the wand began to emit strange yellow sparks. Many of the students, most who were a couple of years older than Isaiah, started giving him annoyed looks.

"Could you stop that please?" said a Year Five girl from Gryffindor, with a nose stuck in her book, giving Isaiah a look, making it clear that she was by far more important than Isaiah in every single way.
Letting out a small sigh, he shoved the wand back into his robe pocket, and slouched a little further down the couch, looking mournfully outside at the rain pouring down the windows. If only there was something, anything, for him to do.
Last edited by Alexx Séverin on 24th May 2019, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Expect the unexpected. And whenever possible, be the unexpected.”

Stamina: 8丨Evasion: 4丨Strength: 9丨Wisdom: 4丨Arcane Power: 5丨Accuracy: 5

"Give it back, snotface!" Marla whisper-yelled, enraged by her brother. He'd somehow snuck into her dorm room and had the nerve to steal her homework, and ran around the castle with it. Just because she accidentally spilled juice on his robes. They ended up in the corridors because of course, he wanted to make a scene.
"D'you have money for new robes?" Lachlan asked with a condescending tone, shaking the parchment over her head, just above her reach. He had an almost evil mischievous glint in his eyes, and she could tell that a smile was tugging at his lips. He didn't care about the robes– she knew that. The stupid chicken nugget just wanted to antagonize her. And it was working. She was absolutely enraged, her face so red that it was blending in with her hair.
"D'you have money for a goddamn hospital bill?" The Gryffindor threatened, seconds away from cursing him out in front of the entire corridor. It sounded dumb coming from the girl, she was practically three feet tall with toothpicks for legs. But she was dead serious. If she knew any spells she would end her brother's BS right where he was standing.

And that's when the idea came to her. Marla gave Lachlan an evil grin, taking out her wand and pointing it at him. She'd just learned a new spell, why not put it to use?
"Incendio!" She yelled, closing her eyes tightly, crossing fingers it would work. Marla opened her eyes, satisfied as she heard him let out a yelp. While he was trying to extinguish himself, Marla hopped up and snatched her parchment from his grasp. She broke into a sprint as soon as she spotted a prefect marching towards her brother. There was no way in hell she was getting caught. Her annoying freaking brother would have to deal with that one.

Soon enough, she burst into the study room and let out a small laugh and leaned on her knees as she attempted to catch her breath. Marla walked over to a very... Dated couch, sitting near a boy that looked around her age. Marla stretched her legs and looked at her parchment with a smile. The redhead probably looked absolutely insane to the others around her– but that didn't matter. She suppressed a laugh, picturing her brother's terrified face as he erupted into flames. It was priceless! Before she knew it, Marla was giggling to herself like a madwoman and glanced at the boy.
"Sorry. I just witnessed my brother burning to death and it was hilarious." She sighed, realizing how bad that sounded and covered her mouth. "Oh– I sound like a psychopath– no. Uh. Not like that. He was being a jerk and I burnt up his robes." She re-explained, hoping that the boy didn't think she was a crazy lady or something.

"and here you are living despite it all"
stamina 6 | evasion 7 | strength 5 | wisdom 5 | arcpower 5 | accuracy 7

“Sorry. I just witnessed my brother burning to death and it was hilarious.” The girl instantly covered her mouth. “Oh -I should like a psychopath-no. Uh. Not like that. He was being a jerk and I burnt up his robes,” she said, retelling the story.

Isaiah turned as he heard the voice – and the corners of his mouth turned upwards as he imagined a boy version of the girl in front of him burst into flames, his robes slowly turning to ash, and his eyes wide in horror. It would’ve been funny to see such a thing – he didn’t blame the girl from laughing. Especially if her brother was a jerk.

In fact, Isaiah would quite like to see his brother’s robes turn to ash. Ejaz had always been good at everything, his report card brought smiles to his parent’s faces, and he seemed to be athletic, and extremely popular with everyone at the same time. To watch his robes up in flames would be very, very satisfying.

He examined the girl quickly. Short, and very pale. But huge eyes, that stood out on such a pale face. Isaiah thought they were beautiful, the exact colour of gold. But her hair was even more vibrant, bright red, running down her back in slight curls. He thought the girl was very pretty – but also thought that the girl was completely unaware of her beauty, by the way she held herself.

And she wasn't just beautiful. There was something in those huge, golden eyes - something Isaiah couldn't completely grasp - something that made him like her immensely. It held the look of a warrior waging a war, fierce and strong. And Isaiah liked it.

“It does sound a little crazy,” Isaiah admitted, letting his lips break into a full smile. “But also, pretty cool. How did you manage to do something like that? It sounds like the most amazing prank ever.”

A wave of relief passed through Marla when she noticed the boy break into a grin. He looked like a generally nice person, quite taller than Marla, which was common. He had dark skin and eyes that matched, which were almost black. But what really stood out was his braids. Neatly tied and smooth, Marla couldn't help but be mesmerized by them. She was also quite impressed, actually. Marla was never one to care about appearance despite her family bashing her to look more poised, to brush her hair, blah blah blah. The fact that he had the time and ability to make his hair look so good was imposing in the girl's eyes.

"It does sound a little crazy,” He responded, his smile growing wider, “But also, pretty cool. How did you manage to do something like that? It sounds like the most amazing prank ever.” Marla couldn't help but return his grin, elated that somebody appreciated her mischief. There weren't many people that would have been impressed by her antics, they'd either be freaked out or wouldn't care. God, there were too many kiss-ups in Hogwarts to count. It was maddening.
"Well," She paused, finding a way to word it, "It was kind of pure luck. He stole my homework because a week earlier I spilled some stupid stuff on his robes, right? And the other day I just learned a spell that summoned fire, so I decided to use it." She blatantly explained with an ever so slightly sinister expression.
"Anyways, it's nice to meet you, whatever your name is. I'm Marla." She put her hand out for him to shake. They only spoke a few words to each other, but the Gryffindor could tell that the two had a lot in common. Especially because he's probably one out of five people that would actually be interested in her feats. Marla had a bright look in her eyes, excited that she met someone that was somewhat similar to her.
"By the way, is it just me or are siblings genetically programmed to be arse holes?" She joked.

“Well,” the girl paused slightly. Thinking about what she was about to say, maybe, or gathering up her thoughts. “It was kind of pure luck. He stole my homework because a week earlier I spilled some stupid stuff on his robes, right? And the other day I just learned a spell that summoned fire, so I decided to use it.”

As the girl spoke, Isaiah found himself liking the girl more and more. He’d never counted, but the times Isaiah wished he could do something, anything, to Ejaz had to be in the hundreds. Older siblings were hard. They always came first, and everyone seemed to believe Ejaz’s words more than Isaiah’s, despite the many times he had told them that just because someone is older, doesn’t mean someone is right. No one listened, of course.
He told himself that one day, he’d be older. Then they’d listen to him. But there was a slight fault to his plan. When he was older, Ejaz would be older again. So, Isaiah had realised glumly, he would just have to be ignored for the rest of his life.

The girl’s story was a good one, Isaiah had to admit. He wished he had the brains to think of something so devious. But Ejaz was smart. At basically everything, in Isaiah’s eyes, and he was sure that his older brother would somehow see the attack coming. To Isaiah, Ejaz was an impenetrable wall, tall, and made of bricks fatter than an elephant. He could dream of climbing the wall, but he doubted he’d ever turn that into a reality.

“Anyways, it’s nice to meet you, whatever your name is. I’m Marla.”
As Isaiah shook the girl’s offered hand, he realised that the girl still didn’t know his name.

“By the way, is it just me or are siblings genetically programmed to be arseholes?”
Before Isaiah could help himself, he burst out into laughter, louder than he should’ve. He could hear the joke in her voice, but honestly, be wouldn’t be surprised if that was true. The Fifth Year from before shot him another glace, and Isaiah ceased the laughing immensely.

“I know!” he exclaimed, lowering his voice so that the girl wouldn’t hear her. “They can do everything, just because they’re older!” he paused slightly. “I’m Isaiah by the way.”

The small Gryffindor jumped as the boy she'd sparked a conversation burst into laughter at her remark. She couldn't help but giggle a little at her own joke too, especially because it was true. Lachlan was a douche. His name didn't do him a lot of justice, either. I mean, Lachlan? That's just asking for your child to be a straight up spoiled brat.
“I know!” The boy said in between his snickers, “They can do everything, just because they’re older!” Marla widened her eyes, then nodded. There was no way that this boy didn't have an older sibling. He knew the feeling all too well. Oh, you're born earlier than your better other siblings and are most likely going to die earlier in life, bam! You have an advantage in life and your family prefers your existence over everyone else's. Lovely.

Marla then soon after spotted an upperclassman giving them a deathly glare because of the ruckus, which she shot right back.
"That girl is relentless. She needs to mind her business." Marla whispered, giving the student one last side-eye. Yes, the two first years were probably being louder than socially acceptable, but maybe if that fifth year was being polite, she'd be quieter. Right after Marla's complaints, the boy introduced himself as Isaiah. She gave him a grin while tracing the etched design in her wand. It was still so crazy to think that as a first year, the girl managed to best her brother who was a sixth year. That almost never happens! Marla wasn't complaining, but she couldn't wait to embarrass him in front of his friends if he ever annoyed the girl again. She would be ready. There'll be no more stealing of anything for the rest of her time in school. Not on her watch.

"Well, Isaiah, it's nice to meet you." The redhead said, glancing down at his robes and noting he was a Gryffindor. That made Marla like him that much more, they not only got along instantly, but were also in the same house! An equally great and convenient coincidence.
"So, I'm guessing you have an older sibling, right? What're they like? Better than mine, probably." She questioned, raising a brow. The girl was genuinely curious about his family, especially since the two seemingly had similar sibling-situations.

The girl’s eye’s widened and she nodded after Isaiah spoke about older siblings. He grinned, happy that someone shared the pain of being the youngest. Of the friends that he had made, none were able to sympathize with the annoyance of being the younger child.
In fact, they all seemed to think that he was silly. Older siblings can’t be that bad, they said. You’re just overreacting. And Isaiah would sigh, and roll his eyes, exasperated by their lack of understanding.

“That girl is relentless,” Marla said quietly, commenting on the Fifth Year. “She needs to mind her own business.”
Isaiah nodded. Now that he thought about it, everyone older than him seemed to think that they were better than him. Well, that was an overstatement, but that girl did need to be a bit more tolerant. Or ask a little more nicely, at the least.

“Well, Isaiah, it’s nice to meet you,” the girl said. “So, I’m guessing you have an older sibling, right? What’re they like? Better than mine, probably.” Marla raised an eyebrow questioningly as she spoke.
Isaiah did have older siblings, two, in fact. Ejaz, the eldest, was a Seventh Year student, similar yet completely different to Isaiah in so many ways, and Keisha, a Third Year Slytherin, who seemed to wish that her and Isaiah weren’t related.

“Two, actually,” Isaiah told the girl. “The oldest one is Ejaz. He’s a Seventh Year. He’s unbelievably smart, and my parents love him to death. I swear, he’s good at everything. Everyone loves him. All the kids, even the teachers. But he can be a real prick to me. He thinks he’s a million times better than me. 
"But my sister, Keisha, she’s the worst. My mum tells me she’s going through a ‘moody, teenager phase,’ but I just think she hates me. She spends all of her time in her room, owling her friends and trying different spells to make her look prettier. All she cares about is her friends and her looks, and whenever we do talk, which is hardly ever, she’s always really angry. What about your brother? What's he like?”

To Marla's surprise, Isaiah apparently also had two older brothers.
“The oldest one is Ejaz. He’s a Seventh Year. He’s unbelievably smart, and my parents love him to death. I swear, he’s good at everything. Everyone loves him. All the kids, even the teachers. But he can be a real prick to me. He thinks he’s a million times better than me." He explained, which the small Gryffindor's jaw almost dropped to. It was like they had the same exact family.
"Are you sure we aren't sharing siblings? My brothers are the exact same way. My oldest one, Lachlan, sixth year, gets eeeverything he wants. Every. Thing. He's like a mutant, somehow likable, spoiled brat. Ugh." Marla shuddered, scowling at the thought of Lachlan. She still wanted to clock him for stealing her homework. Luckily she got it back. Because if she didn't, Lachlan would be a dead man. D-e-a-d.
"But my sister, Keisha, she’s the worst. My mum tells me she’s going through a ‘moody, teenager phase,’ but I just think she hates me. She spends all of her time in her room, owling her friends and trying different spells to make her look prettier. All she cares about is her friends and her looks, and whenever we do talk." A twinge of jealousy stabbed Marla in the gut. Sadly, she never had a sister. The girl desperately wanted one though. She wanted someone to stay up with all night to paint nails... Talk until their throats went dry, stay up late until they couldn't bear the lingering thought of sleep... She would never say it out loud, but Marla would totally take Isaiah's apparently evil sister over her mental brothers any day.

"What about your brother? What's he like?” The boy asked.
"Uhm," She murmured, "My other older brother, he's a third year, Micah. He's funny and stuff, but he doesn't like me very much." She kept her other brother vague, choking up a bit talking about him. Marla's family was... Complicated, to say the least. Her brother, Micah, hated her, long story short. It's pretty hard to explain. Marla was the result of an affair, and Micah blames the small Gryffindor for his parents' divorce. It wasn't her fault that she was born. Marla truly wished that Micah and her got along, but if he was going to be mean to something that she didn't have control over, that was fine. She didn't need people like that in her life anyways.

"So, what's it like having a sister? Wish I had one. My family's filled with gross boys." She scrunched her face up, and realized she was talking to, well, a boy. The girl had a shocked expression on her face and almost facepalmed herself. "Oh no– not like you're gross– its just– y'know what, whatever I'm going to say is gonna just make it worse. Uh, sorry. Didn't really mean it like that. My brothers are the gross ones. You're a not-gross boy." She explained extremely awkwardly, with a smile that she managed to place on her face through all the embarrassment.

"Uhm," the girl said, her voice suddenly gone quiet, "My other older brother, he's a third year, Micah. He's funny and stuff, but he doesn't like me very much."

Isaiah frowned. Had he said something wrong? He was clumsy with his words, always getting them mixed up when he spoke. Had he accidentally let something out? He tried to assure himself that he hadn’t, maybe it was the subject that had quietened the girl. Families could be difficult, he knew that.
Isaiah knew someone with a tough family. A Muggle girl named Ava whose mother used to leave late at night. Ava would tell Isaiah, at the back of the school, beside the water tank, that she got scared when her mother wasn’t there. And even though she loved her mother very much, Ava wished she’d be home more often.
His thoughts were interrupted by Marla, and he couldn’t help feeling relieved. He was only a young boy when he met Ava, and the harsh reality of her mother’s cruelty had wounded him.

"So, what's it like having a sister? Wish I had one. My family's filled with gross boys." Marla scrunched up her face as she said it, but then, a second later, it changed to shock.
"Oh no– not like you're gross– its just– y'know what, whatever I'm going to say is gonna just make it worse. Uh, sorry. Didn't really mean it like that. My brothers are the gross ones. You're a not-gross boy."

Isaiah grinned. “Don’t worry about it. I know what you mean.”
And he tried to laugh about Marla’s mistake, but Ava stayed in his mind, and his spirits dropped. He couldn’t just forget the subject. There had to be something wrong. But would she want to talk about it?

Isaiah bit his lip as he thought, but, in the end, decided that it was better to say something than nothing. He’d regret it otherwise.
“Are you okay? You don’t have to tell me… but why doesn’t your brother treat you well?”

Isaiah seemed unsure for a while. Had she said too much about her brother? Was she weirding him out? Panic filled her face with warmth, peaking as he opened his mouth to speak, and...
“Are you okay? You don’t have to tell me… but why doesn’t your brother treat you well?”

Marla let out a much-needed breath, feeling a bit more at ease. Okay, he wasn't super weirded out. That was a good thing. Or maybe he was just super nosy and pretended to care? She doubted that was the case. The Gryffindor liked Isaiah but was reluctant to tell him about her family. What would he do with the information? What if he told the whole school that she was, well, a freak accident? Not to mention, she was extremely ashamed about it. Her family was god awful and didn't want to seem vulnerable to anyone who was aware of that. It was a risk, but it truly had been bothering Marla and withering her away for quite some time. If she had the chance to talk about it, she'd take it.

"It's a really long story. My mom and my dad cheated on both of their spouses and had me, I guess. Micah blames me for my dad and his mom having trouble in their marriage. And my family on my moms side blames me for my mom leaving their family... I don't know. It's stupid. They aren't going to ever change so I keep on trying to stop worrying about it, but it just gets exhausting feeling unwanted all the time." It's like every single worry she had spilled out into a few sentences. Her words were laced with passion and a bit of sorrow, but it felt amazing to get that off of her chest.
"Sorry, I'm talking about myself so much." She exhaled with a fake laugh, a look of worry on her face. Marla was really grateful that Isaiah was there to listen, but she felt a bit guilty for just talking about herself. Though, she didn't regret telling the boy what was going on. It felt like she was floating, being able to tell someone that secret.

"So long story short, my whole family is a turd." She shrugged, attempting to make it not seem like a big deal by sprinkling in a joke. Might as well try to keep the conversation a bit light, she didn't want to scare the boy away.

"Anyways, what's your family like?" She asked, eager to change the subject.
Last edited by Marla Quinlan on 9th July 2019, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

As the girl spoke, Isaiah could hear the sadness in her voice.

Isaiah’s parents were together, and they loved each other. He knew that. And he knew that even if he’d had a crap day at school, Isaiah could come home, and his family would be there. Ejaz and Keisha weren’t his best friends, but they loved him, deep down, and Isaiah knew he could count on them if he ever needed it.
Isaiah couldn’t imagine not having that reassurance that your family loved you, and the blame that was placed on her for something she couldn’t change. Isaiah knew kids with parents that had split, but this seemed like a whole new level. And it explained a lot about Marla’s brother, Micah, and why they weren’t exactly best friends.

“Sorry, I’m talking about myself so much,” Marla said. “So long story short, my whole family is a turd.” Marla then shrugged, and Isaiah could see that she was trying to cover up her real feelings. He began to bite his lip again, unsure of what to do.
“Anyways, what’s your family like?”

Isaiah shuffled his feet. Compared to Marla, his family seemed idyllic, but he still liked to avoid the subject. They weren’t mean like Marla’s family Isaiah was loved by everyone, and he loved everyone back, but it had always caused embarrassment whenever people spoke about his family.
He knew that he shouldn’t feel embarrassed, but it wasn’t something he could change. And he knew that he couldn’t lie to Marla about his family, when she’d just told him about hers, and it didn’t look like it had been easy.

“Well, my mum and dad, they’re great. And I do love everyone, even Keisha and Ejaz. And my little sister, Aya. But, well…” he paused for a second, wondering how he should say it. “We aren’t the richest. Sometimes my parents… they argue about the rent, and all the bills. I know they try really hard but it’s hard, I guess. And even though I know they’re working for us, sometimes I wish I saw them more often. They’re hardly ever home.”
“And I know I shouldn’t say things like that,” he added, “Because all the arguing and working is for Ejaz and Keisha and Aya and me, but…” he trailed off, not knowing what to say.

“Well, I guess no family’s perfect.” Isaiah said, in an effort to lift the mood.
“So…” he said, grasping for something he could ask to change the subject. Families clearly wasn’t a happy topic for either of them, especially Marla.
“Did you think you were going to get sorted into Gryffindor?”

Marla absolutely loathed being pitied. She was not the type of person to desire people dropping to their knees and crying for her (which was, in fact, a bit of a stretch). But she could see it in Isaiah's eyes as she spoke about her family. He felt bad. Marla had a feeling that might happen. Nonetheless, it was a bit embarrassing. That her family was so...Ugh that others had sympathy. She kind of regretted saying that, especially because she didn't want Isaiah to view her as a pity party. She wasn't. She was strong and got through it. And she didn't need them. While getting lost in her thoughts, Marla didn't even realize that she was staring into space for a while, looking on the verge of furious.

“Well, my mum and dad, they’re great. And I do love everyone, even Keisha and Ejaz. And my little sister, Aya. But, well…” Isaiah's voice snapped Marla out of her spell of anger, which she felt ashamed for having. The boy paused for a second, a sort of melancholy in his dark eyes, “We aren’t the richest. Sometimes my parents… they argue about the rent, and all the bills. I know they try really hard but it’s hard, I guess. And even though I know they’re working for us, sometimes I wish I saw them more often. They’re hardly ever home.” Marla nodded, pulling her knees into her chest. She stayed silent, seeing that he was about to say something else.
“And I know I shouldn’t say things like that. Because all the arguing and working is for Ejaz and Keisha and Aya and me, but…” Marla shook her head. There was no need for him not to be sad about it. Isaiah couldn't help how he felt, why would he feel bad about it?
"Hey, you still have a right to feel sad about it. Can't control how you feel... But really, that sucks. I'm sorry." Marla truly wished she could help. Maybe if he was in a pinch or something she could sneak into her family vault at Gringotts? She did that in the past after finding her grandmother's key to the vault the night that she ran away. She took a few galleons out of the vault and found out a little later that they completely changed the vault's location and locks. So that wasn't an option.

“Well, I guess no family’s perfect.” Marla let out a weak laugh as Isaiah finished his sentence.
"No kidding," she added, giving Isaiah a grin and offering a high five as to say 'yay, we both have family issues'. Well, not 'yay', but more like a, 'we can talk about family issues with each other, yay' thing.

It seemed like Isaiah wanted to change the subject, and so he did. The boy had asked Marla if she thought that she was going to get sorted into Gryffindor. The girl pondered on her thoughts for a moment. Did she think she was going to get sorted into Gryffindor?
"Uhm.. Honestly, I had no idea what the houses were until I got to Hogwarts. My family hid magic from me because they thought I was a squib. And uh, they never got the chance to tell me because when they told me the truth I uh... I kinda ran away? That's a long story so..." She looked down, realizing she brought up family again, her face turning a bright red,"But I'm glad I'm in Gryffindor! I met so many nice people here, including you, what house could be better?" She had added, bringing back the cheery mood of the conversation. Or at least attempting to.
"And what about you?"

"Uhm.. Honestly, I had no idea what the houses were until I got to Hogwarts. My family hid magic from me because they thought I was a squib. And uh, they never got the chance to tell me because when they told me the truth I uh... I kinda ran away? That's a long story so... But I'm glad I'm in Gryffindor! I met so many nice people here, including you, what house could be better?"

Isaiah felt a mix of emotions as the girl finished his sentence. First, guilt. He had tried to steer away from the subject of families, and painful things in general, but it looked like he had walked right into one. Marla’s face had gone bright red, and Isaiah cursed himself. If only he’d asked a different question.
But Marla had also said that she was happy to be in Gryffindor, so it wasn’t all gloom and doom. And she had called him nice! He felt a sudden spark of joy as she said that, and his face pinkened. He wasn’t exactly someone you’d called good with girls, and he was happy that he’d made a new friend.
Yet, as she told Isaiah about her parents thinking she was a squib, he didn’t know what to think. If it was any other family, he would’ve thought it would be out of the kindness of their hearts. It would be painful living in a magical world when you have no magic yourself.
But Marla’s family wasn’t your normal family, and his pity deepened. He tried to conceal it, of course, because nobody likes to be pitied, but Isaiah wouldn’t exactly win a prize for acting, and could only hope for the best. And he knew that Marla didn’t need to be pitied. She was strong, a Gryffindor. She could get through anything, and the last thing she needed was pity.

"And what about you?"

Isaiah smiled. When it came to houses, things were always complicated. Before he came to Hogwarts, he had narrowed down the selection to two, Gryffindor and Slytherin. He was too unsympathetic to be a Hufflepuff, and not nearly as smart to be a Ravenclaw.

“Well, my families a weird mix of houses. My dad’s a Hufflepuff, and my mum’s a Ravenclaw, and my brother’s a Gryffindor, and my sister’s a Slytherin. I knew I’d never be in Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, but I wasn’t sure about the other two. I’m glad I got into Gryffindor though. Now that I’m in it, it seems like the best house in the world."

For a second time, Isaiah tried to change the subject to a less painful one.
"Do you want to be in the Quidditch team? I reckon I'll try, but I've got absolutely no balance."

Isaiah's crazy seemed like a crazy one. In positive terms, of course, but crazy, nonetheless. Well, maybe that wasn't the right word. Hectic? Either way, it seemed like his family was loving, and although it may sound weird, Marla wanted to meet them desperately. She had never been in the presence of such lively people, and it would be nice to see... No. That sounded creepy. But for some reason Marla couldn't get it out of her brain. She cursed to herself, and listened to what the boy had to say.

“Well, my families a weird mix of houses. My dad’s a Hufflepuff, and my mum’s a Ravenclaw, and my brother’s a Gryffindor, and my sister’s a Slytherin. I knew I’d never be in Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, but I wasn’t sure about the other two. I’m glad I got into Gryffindor though. Now that I’m in it, it seems like the best house in the world." The boy explained. And the last part? Marla couldn't agree with more. A lot of people thought that Gryffindors were just some air-heady jocks. Which was partially true, she wouldn't lie, but a lot of them were very logical and independent people. One time, Marla met someone so intellectual in her common room that she thought they were a Ravenclaw. How's that for stereotypes?
"Isn't it, though? I mean, our animal is awesome. A freaking lion, and there were so many celebrities in our house. I mean, Hermione Granger, for starters. And she was the Ministry of Magic! I think. I read an old Daily Prophet about it. Still cool though!" She exclaimed, excitement laced into her voice. Marla was still a bit wonky about the history of the wizarding world... It was all very jumbled, especially because she didn't grow up with it. But she read all types of things about the Second Wizarding War. It was terrible, yes. So many people died! But she wouldn't lie. It was a good read. When she was skimming the book about it in the library, Marla honestly couldn't put the damned thing down. She even missed her potions class. Stupid books. Being so interesting...

And speaking of interesting, Isaiah mentioned quidditch, which peaked the adrenaline in Marla's system. Quidditch was her favorite thing ever. Like, ever ever. She watched the Ravenclaw vs. Slytherin game and was completely captivated, not to mention, in the Gryffindor scavenger hunt, she won a broom! If that wasn't a sign that she was meant to play the game, Marla didn't know what the hell was.
"I. Love. Quidditch. And I'm totally trying out! Flying is like the one thing I'm good at. Maybe we could head to tryouts together? What role're you going for?"

"Isn't it, though? I mean, our animal is awesome. A freaking lion, and there were so many celebrities in our house. I mean, Hermione Granger, for starters. And she was the Ministry of Magic! I think. I read an old Daily Prophet about it. Still cool though!"

Isaiah grinned. Marla mustn’t be sure about magical history because of her parents.
“Yeah, she was. It was pretty cool. And she was friends with Harry Potter! You know him, right? In the Second Wizarding War? I heard he killed You-Know-Who.”
After the war, more had called the evil wizard by his real name, but for some reason, Isaiah’s family had kept with old traditions. Not for any particular cause, or any cause he knew of. When he arrived at Hogwarts, where some of the students used the word, it was a sudden surprise to hear the word so often.

When he mentioned Quidditch, it was clear Marla enjoyed it, by the why she spoke.
"I. Love. Quidditch. And I'm totally trying out! Flying is like the one thing I'm good at. Maybe we could head to tryouts together? What role’re you going for?"

Isaiah’s grin grew. The girl obviously loved Quidditch. It was true he wasn’t the best at balance, but he was an enthusiastic supporter. He had been told off once, by the umpire, at a small match. The memory was still clear in his mind.
The umpire had approached Isaiah, the tallest man he had ever seen, with long, gangly limbs, and a scalp with hair so thick it reminded him of an ape. The umpire’s eyebrow’s had been scrunched together, to create a monobrow, and spit had flown out of his mouth as he shouted.

“I’m hoping for Beater,” Isaiah confided to the girl. “Less balance, and I’m pretty strong, so that’s good. But there’s all the older kids, so I’m not sure that’ll matter too much when I’m up against them.”
He had surprised himself by saying that. Although he had always wanted to be part of the Quidditch team, it had always seemed a silly decision. Probably because as soon as the words left his mouth, someone would laugh. Most likely one of his older siblings.
But this girl, Marla, she was nice. She wouldn’t laugh at him, he trusted her with that. And it was kinda nice saying the words, like a weight had been lifted.

“I’ve never been to a big Quidditch match, only the small ones, but they’re so exciting! Do you have a team that you go for?”

Back