Study Room

Register
Sign in

A Study of Ourselves  PV Illowy Magnard   Closed 

A Study of O u r s e l v e s - @Illowy Magnard

Finn, for once, wasn't reading.

Well, he had been, just moments before - now his books lay open, begging for more attention beside him on the desk. He gave a hefty sigh and dropped his head down onto the wooden surface, groaning to himself. He was having a conundrum. 

A considerable amount of time had passed since he'd first arrived at the school. Given the absence of his siblings, Finn had received a gratuitous allotment of time to fill. While he'd been successful in consuming the majority of it with reading, studying, and classes, there was a deep emptiness in his heart that clawed at him from time to time. A time like today.

It was rather unusual for Finn to put a book down once he'd begun to read it. Normally, the rest of the world went on hiatus as far as he was concerned as soon as his nose dove into a piece of literature. While he was reading Great Wizards of the Twentieth Century, however, a thought had gnawed at his brain relentlessly. He found himself re-reading paragraphs that had failed to sink in the first time. Eventually, he slid the book to the side and found himself in the position he's in now.

Am I really being the best I can be?

Finn had promised himself he would strive for fantastic things. For himself and for his family. He'd prided himself on his enthusiasm in the simplest of things. Somewhere along the way, though, he'd overlooked major things.

Finn still had very few friends. In fact, he really only had one friend he saw consistently. Moreover, he had yet to attempt to participate in Quidditch - something he'd sworn he was going to do... eventually. When he found himself alone in the school hallways, brushing past the hoards of other students, he noticed something off about himself compared to the rest. While others clustered together, he was often the only one walking alone.

Sincerely, Finn Valois
STR: 3 | AG: 15 | CTRL: 7 | STMNA: 5

Illowy rarely found herself gaggled in a group of people. It was like suffocation to her. Of course, occasionally Elizabeth would walk with her and ramble on about one thing or another they might've been learning in class, or even something completely removed from Hogwarts altogether, and the Slytherin didn't mind that too much. It was just larger groups, especially of people she didn't know, especially after the last incident when she found herself in a group of people she didn't know.

Could one really blame her though?

Part of her was a bit disappointed in herself on the same matter. She'd promised herself and her mother that she would work harder to make more friends. After all, it seemed one needed friends in order to thrive or simple survive Hogwarts.

As she wandered the from the hall and into the study room. Her attention was immediately drawn to a soft thomp as she watched her newest friend's head rest down on the desk. With a small roll of her eyes, the brunette quietly slipped into the chair of the desk. Smirking a bit to herself as she looked the lad up and down, before leaning close, "I don't think this is what they mean by 'study the material closely'."

I was told I was dangerous. When I asked why, they said, "Because you don't need anyone." That's when I smiled.
stats | Stamina: 6 | Evasion: 6 | Strength: 5 | Wisdom: 9 | ArcPower: 7 | Accuracy: 7 |

Finn nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of the voice. Arms flailing wildly, his chair bucked backwards and balanced on two legs before settling back down with an ample 'thud'. Finn's eyes found Illowy's and he blushed deeply. He felt as if he always made a fool of himself in front of his cooler Slytherin friend. Or perhaps he was always acting a fool but was more keenly aware of it when she was present. "I was just..." He paused for a moment. Surely he couldn't tell her he was having a mini existential meltdown. "...tired." He decided on, before breaking eye contact with the girl and attempting to hide his quickening heart-rate and red cheeks.

Finn hadn't seen Illowy in several weeks, that was, besides in passing. His eyes always found her when she walked by, though she always seemed a bit distracted by her own thoughts. He'd grown too nervous to attempt to owl the girl or revamp his previous offer of hanging out, and had instead redirected his mind back to his schoolwork. "What are you doing here?" He questioned with a side-eye at the raven haired girl, subtly pushing the attention back to her. It was easier to maintain his own composure that way.

Sincerely, Finn Valois

The girl gave a sly grin as the Hufflepuff nearly jumped into the rafters with such a start, covering her mouth slightly with the back of her hand in an attempt to stifle a laugh at the poor boy's expense. He had made the scare far too easy. Finn always seemed to be thinking, though about what she had no way of knowing. He was a Muggle-born after all, and that was such an entirely different way of life from how she'd been raised.

Magic had always been a fact in her world. Tangible from the moment she was born. While for Finn, it was a matter of storybooks and cinema. She was sure this whole experience must've felt like he was plopped into an entirely different planet with a different society, different rules and different expectations. Of course, she was familiar with some aspects of Muggle culture, she had grown up in a Muggle city after all, but even there her life was confined to the magical community there.

It made her more curious about him, to try to understand him a bit more, "You don't look very tired to me." she decided, placing her elbow on her desk, then resting her chin in her palm as he questioned her presence, "This is the Study Room right? So I'm here for Flying Class." she answered sarcastically, a teasing smirk on her face as she dropped her arm from the desk and bent to bring her book from her bag, "Why do you think I'm here, you silly."

Since the last time she'd seen her friend, she'd recovered from her squabble in the bathroom. All that really remained as evidence of that day was a light scar on her lower lip from where it had been busted, however that was just slightly noticeable, and only when she smiled. However, her ego was still a bit bruised and she'd been forced to toss away several ruined pages from her sketchbook.

I was told I was dangerous. When I asked why, they said, "Because you don't need anyone." That's when I smiled.
stats | Stamina: 6 | Evasion: 6 | Strength: 5 | Wisdom: 9 | ArcPower: 7 | Accuracy: 7 |

"Right..." He said softly, taking a moment to subconsciously kick himself for asking such an obvious question. His eyes flickered to her for a moment before sliding the book he had previously been reading back toward his chest, clearing his throat and pretending to dig into it again. Though now on top of his relentless inner dialogue, he was hyper-aware of Illowy seated next to him - every shuffle, every breath... 

Finn's eyes landed on something poking out of Illowy's bag, and before he could fully process the words coming out of his mouth, they flew out unceremoniously - "What's that?" A hand absently pointed toward the sketchbook. "You always carry it around with you... It must be important, right?" Push the attention back to the person in question - that was Finn's strategy for when he landed in embarrassing situations with others. Besides, he genuinely wished to know more about the girl. He found himself leaping at the chance to connect with her, seeing as they didn't often spend much time alone together.

Finn would be lying if he tried to pretend he hadn't incessantly thought about Illowy since their first encounter in the bathrooms. Every day hope would spark in his heart that perhaps he would get an owl from her - but alas, he always came up empty-handed. His eyes would find her during class, in the halls... But she was somewhere else. Somewhere far away.

Sincerely, Finn Valois

Flipping to the needed page in her book, the girl then pulled her notes along with her quill and ink from her sack, leaving the saggy bag limp, supported only by the still water stained sketchbook poking its way out from the top. Though she thought absolutely nothing of it until Finn spoke up once more, pointing her precious possession out to inquire about it.

Pale eyes flickered to him, as though asking him what he was going on about before they flitted down to her bag. Offered a small smile and a shrug, the girl looked back to her work, "Its nothing interesting, really. Its just my sketchbook. I like to draw sometimes." alright, perhaps 'sometimes' was a bit of an understatement. The Slytherin loved drawing. At the moment, her skills mostly favored scenery and still life objects, but slowly pages were being filled with portrait exercises and observational sketches of her fellow students.

The girl was fairly quiet concerning her more artistic outlets, having hobbies she'd been enjoying since she was small that few people might peg her for. Most people only saw her doodling or studying, figuring there wasn't much else to the first year. But her most refined skills lied with music; though that was a world who's door she kept exclusively locked from most people aside from her family.

Reducio
I'm so sorry about the delayed reply @Illowy Magnard <3 had a rough couple weeks

Finn's eyes sparkled in amazement. He used to love drawing as a kid, but once his parents took their double shifts and he had to take charge he didn't have time to draw anymore. He suddenly itched to look at her work - he'd never met another artists before. "C-Can I see?" He asked shyly, blushing a bit. He knew how private people could be about their work, and that's people who were far less private than Illowy. Still, he knew he'd get no where sitting and drooling over the prospect of Illowy's drawing silently.

"I really like drawing," He explained quickly, growing nervous about whether or not Illowy would trust him. "I like drawing fantasy things. Well.... um, I guess it's not actually considered fantasy. All of it's real now. So I guess I could become, like... a fantastical creature sketch artist? Anyway, my point is I really like drawing and I think I wanna do it again and I'd love to see your work!" Finn took a deep breath once he'd finished speaking - he hadn't breathed much during the anxious chattering.

Finn avoided eye contact with Illowy, turning his body slightly away from her in embarrassment and waiting for her response.

Sincerely, Finn Valois

Reducio
You're okay love <3

The girl hesitated a bit at the request, not having expected for him to take any kind of interest in her art work by any means. Before she could properly answer him, he was already babbling on to tell her about his own work. In most cases, listening to people ramble on drove the first year to the brink of her sanity; but for whatever reason, it didn't bother her as much with Finn. There was something about his air that just put her to ease. Perhaps it had been the way he had dealt with her before, being patient and unafraid to dish her attitude back to her; maybe it had been the way he didn't make a jump decision about her, saw through her defenses to try to help her. It had all been more then most people did, brushing her off as a lowly Slytherin who wasn't worth the effort when she would refuse help... it was a change to see someone put up any kind of a fight to try to win her over.

As he went on, the girl couldn't help but watch him. It wasn't the usual way she watching people, cold gaze seeming to look right through you, piercing straight into your soul. No, there was a curious, calm warmth in her stare, actually taking the moment to truly look at him. When Finn finally stopped himself from talking, Illowy observed his body language as he refused to meet her eyes, turning a bit away from him. She couldn't help but wonder what caused him to be so shy.

Pursing her lips, she mauled over the idea of letting him see her work. Perhaps it was only fair since he had been the one to help her salvage most of what was left of the book from the wet bathroom floor, "If you really want to..." she bent to pull the book free from her bag, setting it on the table between them, "Some of them aren't very good. I've been trying to get better at people and some stuff in there is really bad." she explained softly. Most of the ruined drawings were of landscapes and scenes around the school, though there were a growing number of portraits and human figure exercises she'd been working on from observing students one or two of which may have been a particular Hufflepuff boy she occasionally spied in the library.

Finn immediately perked up when the girl seemed to give in to his request. He whipped his body toward her, leaning forward slightly, eyes wide and filled with pure interest. It took all of his energy not to immediately tear into the pages hungrily. He had to remind himself of how important this was to her, and to treat it with care and dignity.

He barely heard Illowy's self-deprecation as he gingerly pulled the book toward him and slowly opened the pages. The first drawing made him gasp. "Wow," He whispered to himself as he began to carefully flip each individual page, letting his eyes roam and take in every aspect of the artwork. "I really like this one!" He chirped as he pointed excitedly at a drawing of the Great Hall. While the art wasn't entirely hyper-realistic, it was beautiful nonetheless. While aspects of it were completely true to the actual Great Hall, so much so that he felt as if he could climb in the page, there were traces of Illowy's own artistic interpretation that perfectly melded with the rest of the piece.

When he was able to break his appreciation of the artwork he continued on, pausing briefly when he noticed a drawing of himself. He was hunched over a book in the back corner of the library, entirely oblivious to the outside world. He noticed his untied shoes and blushed hard. He wasn't sure what to say, though seeing himself artistically represented by a girl he so often thought of was twisting his stomach in a strangely not entirely unpleasant fashion.

Sincerely, Finn Valois

The girl turned back to her homework as the lad drew her sketchbook close. It wasn't often she left people peruse her work freely, and truthfully it made her nervous if he would like it. Her cheeks burned a little as she heard pages flipping slowly, listening to his praise over her work. Pale eyes flickered over to see what picture he was so enthusiastic about. It was an older drawing of the Great Hall, made not long after they'd first arrived to the school. Not the most accurate or realistic drawing ever, but Illowy was still in the process of finding her own personal style, trying to find a balance between realistic and illustrative, "Thanks..." she smiled shyly, eyes tracing over the pages of her book, but hardly taking in a word of the text.

The pages continued to turn through various exercises of human poses and body parts, scattered between sketches of different parts of the school. Most often to appear was the Great Lake, but from various angles. When the page turn stopped, and Finn stopped talking, the curiosity of what he might've been seeing ate at her. Daring to peak over again, her own blush deepened realizing he was looking at one of her drawings of himself.

The detail had been careful and alert, all the way down to his untied shoes as he sat, curled up against the shelves and hopelessly lost in his book. That was the way he always seemed to be when he was reading, and she couldn't help but wonder if that was only when he was reading about the wizarding world considering his background, or if he was like that with all books, "So um... why don't you draw anymore?" she asked, hoping to pull him into conversation and away from her work, lest he find anymore sketches of himself and think she was some sort of stalker.