Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

A Helping Hand...  closed 

P.V. Allie Jones

Donny trudged, exhausted into the study room. He still needed to work on his Transfiguration essay, and had no hope in such interesting surroundings. How could one, used to muggle school, not go exploring in a castle? He picked a small table with a large, cushion chair at the corner of the room. He layed out all his books, and parchment, and carefully placed his cracked ink bottle down in front- he really needed to fix that. He took out his celo-tape repaired quill, and dipped it into his marble green ink bottle. He thought long and hard about what to write, but he couldn't come up with anything. He flipped through his textbook, and found his 'Transfiguration Today' news clipping. 

He scanned each word, enunciating every one until a hardcore ravenclaw shushed him. He sighed and re-positioned his arm after stretching it out of its stiff position. He was getting more, and more frustrated every minute. His head burned with every bold letter he scratched on his parchment. "This is absolutely hopeless!" he yelled abruptly, causing a short pause in the atmosphere of the room. A kindly girl walked into the room, as if she heard his loud sentiment of disgust. He felt embarrassed as he often made himself feel. He was one of the most outspoken Hufflepuffs he knew. The girl walked over to him, her head tilting in curiosity. "Hi..." he said to her, hoping for some help or at least social activity...          

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” - Albus percival wulfric brian dumbledore “The ones who love us never really leave us, you
can always find them in here.” - Sirius black
Strength: 6, Agility: 10, Control: 8, Stamina: 6

Allie had decided to relocate from the Library to the Study room in hopes of being able to get some of her extra credit assignments done and over with. She knew that she wasn't a very social person like many of the other students here, but she figured that came hand in hand with being so busy with her school work. As she walked around the study room, looking for a quiet place to set her things down, she was startled out of her thoughts by someone's loud declaration of frustration. Allie's curiosity got the better of her as she searched around the room for whoever had made that loud shout. She finally came face to face with a Hufflepuff boy who didn't look like he was much older than she was. Allie couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at the sheepish look on his face. "We've all been there," she said to the boy in a calm and reassuring tone. "Here, do you mind if I sit with you? I might be able to help you out with whatever is making you shout like that." She teased a little bit before walking towards the table and setting her books down. She pulled out the seat next to Donnovan and scooted closer to the table. "I'm Allie by the way. Nice to meet you," She held out her hand for his.

Donny wiped his sheepish expression off his face, taking in the kind hand from the girl. She had bleach blonde hair, and pale skin with bronzed cheeks. He shook his head, refocusing, and moved his other books from the seat closest him. "Yeah, thanks! he said shortly. He managed to slip over his essay, in the hopes that she could look it over. After all, he knew Ravenclaws were quite the sharp students. He looked at her expectantly, and waited for her hopefully smart critiques. The essay was explaining the basics of the goblet transformation spell. He thought he had spelled some of the words wrong, but he sat quietly, hoping that she would understand the concept.

"Do you know what the spell is for the goblet transformation?" he asked her. "I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it," he continued. The girl seemed like quite the professional, and would probably have no problem helping him answer it. He really needed this essay done by tomorrow, and he hadn't much time to finish it. He thought of  the look on the professors face. He couldn't afford another Troll on his homework, which the thought of the grade would probably leave his mother flabbergasted.   

Last edited by Donnovan Perrywinkle on 22nd March 2019, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” - Albus percival wulfric brian dumbledore “The ones who love us never really leave us, you

Allie chuckled softly before glancing over his essay. She bit her lip slightly as she read before looking up at Donovan. "Do you mind if I mark on this?" She pulled out a quill from her small bag and dipped it into his small vial of ink before pulling out a spare sheet of paper. She set both of the edges of the pages next to each other and began to use her finger as a guide for her corrections. When she came across something she felt like Donnovan could correct she would make a little note of it on her piece of paper. She had gotten herself into a rhythm that when Donny spoke up and asked her a question it took her a moment to respond. 

"Huh? Oh! My bad, yeah the spell for goblet transformations is..." She trailed off before reaching into her bag for her own essay. "Sorry, I have a hard time remembering things off the top of my head. I know that I wrote it down in my essay notes somewhere." She took a few more moments to dig through her bag before pulling out a scroll. "Aha! Here it is." She laughed and unrolled the scroll. "It's Vera Verto to turn rats and other creatures into goblets." She grinned. "Not too sure if that's what you were looking for though."

Donny sighed with relief. "Thanks!" He exclaimed. He'd thought he'd heard that spell somewhere... 'Vera Verto', it rang a bell. He watched her as she continued to make marks upon her clean sheet of parchment. He'd noticed she had very nice handwriting, nicer than his he thought. His was merely a bunch of scribbles that resembled words. In muggle school, they used pens and pencils instead of feather quills. His was more... well, legible then. Hers was more something you'd expect to see written by a professor, curly letters that did a short, pretty loop, and a heart atop the 'I' in her name. She definitely seemed very sharp indeed.

He bit his tongue and pointed as his eyes darted everywhere and he waited for her next response. He felt quite, well, stupid really if that was the word. He just sat there like the small child he was, and let someone else critique his works. He wondered whether or not she would correct anythings else, because by the looks of it, she had a short paragraph going on her paper with just corrections. He'd barely had two of his actual topic. "Anything else?" he asked the girl quite kindly.       

After Allie had finished writing her last edit at the bottom, she read over her work once again to make sure it was as clear and as concise as possible before she turned her attention back to Donnovan. "Sorry about that, I kinda got carried away with my notes. Whenever I start doing something I usually have a pretty one track mind until it gets done. I guess that's a good thing when it comes to doing homework or something like that." She handed him his essay back along with the piece of parchment that she had made her notes on. "There wasn't much for me to correct. I know it may seem like I wrote a lot, but I promise it was mostly just little tidbits on things I thought might be good for you to add into your essay. I made sure it wasn't the same exact things that I had included in my paper so Professor Lian didn't think you had just copied from me or something like that."

She leaned back in her chair and considered his question. "Not really. That was mostly it unless there was something else that you wanted me to take a look over," she let out a small chuckle. "Wouldn't want you to start screaming about Charms or something while people are trying to work."

Donny felt greatly relieved. Finally, someone who he could evenly agree with. "Thank you so much! I really, truly appreciate it!" he exclaimed. He had never had someone treat him so kindly for the past few weeks here at Hogwarts, and maybe... just maybe he'd found a friend? He referred back to the now neatly written parchment the girl had given him. It had all sorts of ideas, and notes that was sure to earn him top marks! He scanned the paper, a grateful smirk upon his face as the girl now watched him. He nodded his head in agreement to everything the paper said. She'd even included the wand movements in the notes! "I'm sure to get this sooner or later!" he said, trying not to stall. He scribbled down a short paragraph and slid the essay to the side and looked at the girl.

"So. I know this is kind of late... but what's your name?" he asked, chuckling. He'd forgotten her name after all this! He sort of blushed, embarrassingly and awaited her remark. He had the worst memory! He needed friends at this school, and remembering their names would probably be a good asset with the process strictly speaking.      
Last edited by Donnovan Perrywinkle on 23rd March 2019, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allie couldn't help but furrow her eyebrows slightly in confusion at his question about her name. 'I thought I already told him my name when I came over to see if he needed any help with his work, but I guess he probably didn't hear me.' Allie internally shrugged her shoulders at the situation before she looked back at Donnovan to answer his question. "My name is Allison Miriam Jones, but most people call me Allie. I'm a first year Ravenclaw." She rested her arm on the cold wood of the table in front of her before laying her head down on top of her arm. "What is your name? I know you're in the Hufflepuff house just based on the gold color of your tie and stuff, right? Are you a first-year student like me?" Allie was sure that she could probably keep rambling on about random things, asking him questions one right after the other without really giving him a chance to answer one before she asked another. It was something that her cousins always complained about when they were kids, and Allie had been actively trying to work on giving people a chance to speak before she really got going.
Last edited by Allie Jones on 26th March 2019, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Oh, yeah... Allie i'm sorry. I just tend to forget things," he answered, still quite embarrassed. He decided that she was just as curious as he was, and that was why she asked so many questions, but you must know a lot about someone to be friends... right? He thought better of himself and decided to answer back, "I'm Donnovan by the way," he continued. "But, most people call me Donny or don for short." he said, even though most people wasn't the word to describe his social life. He shuffled and fiddled with some quills, and brushed his finger across a dusty book, awkwardly. He could not sit still for very long, he was quite... weird in a sense. He looked back a the girl as they sort of had a kind of staring contest, talking with their eyes as his mother would sometimes say.

"So... what do you like to do anyways?" he asked her. He knew that his spare time was consumed with homework, and homework, and homework... and maybe a book about Quidditch or two. "On your spare time I mean?" he added, not wanting to hear about school work, as much as he wanted to just talk like a friend... 

Allie laughed and shook her head in response to his apology. "You're fine. I know that when I am under a lot of stress I do the same thing. The worst thing I think is when you forget a word and it's something you need to remember. I remember when I was first learning how to do charms, I was so focused on trying to remember everything at once that I actually forgot what my name was for a week. That was really fun to try to make new friends when I couldn't introduce myself." She laughed and leaned back against the chair. 

"I don't really do anything interesting in my free time, to be honest. I spent a lot of my time in the library reading as much as I can on anything and everything, but if the library is closed or something then I like to write back home. Not all of my family have magical abilities, but they like to hear about all the different kinds of things that are happening here at school, and my cousins keep me updated on what's going on in the muggle world. I don't know if you have an interest in muggle happenings, but some things are really cool."
Last edited by Allie Jones on 26th March 2019, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donny knew almost exactly about muggle happenings. He went to muggle school for most of his life, and he'd had all muggle friends. "Oh yeah! I was practically a muggle before I got my letter!" he said honestly. "I don't really need to take muggle studies to be honest," he continued. All his life was, was being constantly made fun of. By muggles and Wizards, he was teased just for being him. He was meanwhile sketching pictures of golden snitches on his extra scrap parchment. He glanced back up at Allie, a sentiment on the tip of his tongue. "What's your favorite class?" he asked her. His favorite was probably flying lessons, but to be literal, he quite liked astronomy. He loved to look up at the stars and point out all of the constellations and planets allure. "Mine's astronomy!" he said, before she answered. He didn't want to think about the list she'd probably have of favorite subjects knowing how she liked to spend her leisure, but he had to ask something. He continued to animate his parchment as he waited. The snitch was now being engulfed by a Thunderbird for the pure sake of it. He looked back up as Allie had made up her mind... 

Allie wasn't too sure what her favorite subject would be or if she even had one. She loved to learn anything and everything that she could, so everything seemed fun for her. "Hmm, I don't know if I can choose just one, but I guess if I really had to choose my top two favorite subjects, then it would definitely come down to Charms and Herbology. I think they would probably be my favorites, but that's probably because I know the most about them. My mom always practices Charms at home and my dad has a Herbology garden in our backyard that he lets me help out with. I hate Mandrakes though." She shuddered a bit at the thought of the shrieks. "Gnomes are pretty annoying too, but my cousins and I made a game out of who could catch more of them. I remember whenever I'd go visit my family who lives in the muggle world it was really hard not to talk to them about all the things that we did, but it was fun learning how to play soccer with them. I like being a part of both worlds because I feel like it helps me fit in."

Donny was almost too sure of what she meant. The muggle world was kind of boring, but considering he was part muggle, he couldn't really talk. "Yeah.." he said. He decided since they were talking on a personal level, he'd probably talk a little more about himself. "I don't live a very lively life I guess you could say. I'm really more just the stay inside and watch a live Quidditch game, or draw some pictures of goblins and gargoyles." he told her, kind of embarrassed about his boring life. "I wish I had a pet though...' he trailed off. "First years are kind of limited here." It was true, not only could they not have pets, but they couldn't even have brooms! "If you were to have a pet, what would you get?" he asked Allie. He'd always wanted a cat named Tigger. If he had a cat, only Merlin knows what he would do with it! He'd  probably take it with him on flights and even matches! 

He'd had a pet toad once before named Tod. He disappeared a week later after a run in with a street cat. He silently awaited Allies answer, hoping she'd keep the conversation going...     

Allie nodded her head in agreement. "Yeah, I get what you mean about first years being limited on what we can do, but it makes sense though. I mean, I imagine if we went to a muggle school, then there would still probably be rules on what we could and couldn't do. It probably helps from first years getting into things that they shouldn't be doing or could be dangerous. I mean, could you imagine what some of these students would do if we were all taught transfiguration in our first years?" Allie laughed a bit. "As far as pets go though, I've always been a cat person, so that's what I'd probably choose. There's just something about cats that makes me feel at ease. They're very... low maintenance I guess. We have a pet cat at home named Dina. There was a neighborhood cat who gave birth to kittens under our back porch the same day I was born, so my parents decided to keep one and give the rest to friends and family. Dina's mom still kinda lives with us. She comes around every now and then to get food and to give Dina a bath." Allie let out a laugh. "It's pretty funny to watch Dina's hair stick up when she gets a bath from her mom."

Donny knew cats didn't quite like baths. He just wanted a companion, something he could talk to other than a moving picture from an old Daily Prophet news clipping. "Yeah, my gran had about four cats at one time. It was kind of crazy how they would run from her when she even mentioned bathing!" Donny laughed. "I don't really think my mom would approve of a cat, as much as i'd want her to," he continued, slightly frowning at the subject. He was now folding small paper cranes and trying to make them fly. The study room had a distinctive feeling to it, one that made people feel uncomfortably bored. "Have you ever seen a Qudditch game?" he asked Allie, without bothering to look up as he spoke. 

He knew very well he'd seen plenty of Quidditch games, live or not, the action still makes him turn in his seat with every movement of the players. He'd been trying to teach a dear friend Ruka how to fly, knowing he was scared out of his wits of being off his feet. He looked back up, sighing as he stretched and yawning. "Sorry," he said. "Just... tired!" he said, laughing at himself now...      

Back