Study Room

Register
Sign in

Hairy Advice  PV Alexx Helm 

Quinn had on a black and yellow striped beanie covering his head. Barely any strands of his new haircut and color were visible. His face was a bit flush too, his freckles were still as dark as ever for the moment and honestly clashed a bit with his new hair color. Hence the slight embarrassment, and the fact he now felt way more conscious about his freckles to boot. Of course he had what he needed plus his sketch book, but he also needed his friends the ones he could really trust and count on.

Sadly they weren't in sight. He couldn't find Ami or Frosty anywhere. It kind of upset him to be honest. He really needed them in a time of need but they were no where in sight. Of course despite his own perceived selfish reasons and feelings he also understood they had a life that didn't revolve around his broken and dumb self. Sighing he looked ahead dodging out of the way of a few people who didn't seem to recognize him which he very much enjoyed. At the very least he could start on the new book he borrowed from the library in the study room. It was always quiet in there and usually a safe haven from the worries of reality...at least it was for Quinn.

So the now undercover ginger made his way to the study room. A few minutes of walking later and he arrived slowly opening the door still preoccupied with his own thoughts he didn't even notice a familiar face that was in the mostly empty room. It wasn't till he looked up when he sat down next to said person without really noticing that he finally knew who it was. He pursed his lips quickly going over his options and in the end decided that she could be trusted and would most likely understand him very well. So, setting his school bag down that had a few extra things in it. He turned to Alexx to speak, "A-Alexx...H-Hi..." The boy spoke in a timid, stuttery voice his face flushed a light shade of pink. It was a far cry from his former self.

To fear the unknown is to fear progress, don't shy away from it. Embrace it and discover something new.

Alexx was caught in the study room, aimlessly looking at a potions book. She wasn't really reading it anymore, just staring at it and hoping to retain knowledge that way. It was pretty useless, but she refused to actually try right now. It was pretty frustrating, but she brought it on herself. She couldn't even act mad or surprised, because she knew that. So she sat there, head resting on her hand, blinking down in a staggard pattern. Whatever was even written on the page had become unimportant long ago.

To say she was stressed was an understatement. After the run-in with Imani... She was left understandably upset. Which reminded her, she was still meaning to vent all that out to someone, probably Reid, later on. Being told she wasn't a worthy prefect and to quit her job... well, that would do a number to anyone. Especially someone as fragile as she was. Alexx had a lot of uncalled for pride but never had she been so insulted in her life... Perhaps there was someone who was more worthy than she was. Regardless of if this were true, it definitely threw the young girl for a loop.

When she heard Quinn's voice, however, it was clear that he was in a deeper situation than her. She hadn't initially seen him sit next to her, as she was long lost in her own second-year crisis. But she could tell that her friend was in need, and there was no way she wasn't going to ask him if he was okay. "Hey, Quinn. No offense, but you're a bit of a mess right now. Everything all good?" It could easily be perceived as rude, but Alexx did mean well. If someone had messed with him, Lord have mercy... Alexx didn't take lightly to people messing with her friends, especially not someone as sweet as Quinn. But alas, Alexx didn't know the root of his problems at all.

I wanna watch the world burn
I got the gasoline

"...No no I'm not everything's a bloody fucking mess and it's all Don-" He forcefully bit his tongue to silence himself sending a shock of pain through his body. It bloody hurt but he really needed to start learning when to shut his mouth. He couldn't burden her with his troubles and it was bad enough that he was relying on her like this as was. Too bad for Quinn that the internal conflict he had as well as these said thoughts had been showing on his face in various exaggerated expressions and his habit of mumbling. Unfortunately he was mumbling loud enough for her to hear though it was slightly muddled by his now sore tongue.

"Feeeeeeeeeck." He whined in an exasperated tone putting his head down on the table with a thump. He was just an entire mess and in his his mini...really minor slight frenzy his beanie slid off revealing the mess of his dark brown hair he had cut and straightened out though it was quite patchy and messy. "...I don't even know where to start Alexx...but..I'm scared and I..." He trailed off keeping his head down and not motioning to move. Even though he wouldn't flat out say it. He was too prideful to verbally admit it, but his body language was enough to convey what he was most likely going to say.

Quinn seemed like a total mess, much more prone to emotional outbursts and all in all jittery like he could no longer relax. It seemed that his pride and mind be damned, his body and emotions were going to have their way today. "...I just don't know who else to trust..." His thick dublin accent was on full display that day, it was sullen yet angry sounding and very thick.

To fear the unknown is to fear progress, don't shy away from it. Embrace it and discover something new.

If Alexx wasn't shocked or concerned before, now she was. It wasn't particularly average for someone to come to her, shaken and afraid. Quinn did look a bloody mess, and she didn't feel so bad about saying it now that he reiterated that he was well aware of his own state. "Jésus-Christ..." She uttered, wincing a little as she started to piece him together. This wasn't good, and she knew that. Everything about this was just so sketchy, and she could hardly believe that Quinn was involved with... Whatever this even was. He was the last person she'd expect to have gotten themselves tangled in a sort of mess. But, nevertheless, it could happen to anyone, even a kind-hearted boy from Hufflepuff.

"D'accord, take it easy, mon ami. Tell me what happened. Slowly." She commanded, keeping her words steady. She didn't want to frighten him, although it may seem like she was treating him like a child, obviously now was not the time to be pressuring him under any circumstances. He definitely was not in any position to be handling her typically harsh attitude. So she toned it down, attempting to reassure him that he wasn't currently in any sort of trouble while he was around her.

Quickly, she set her book aside, not even marking the page, as she wasn't interested in it to begin with. She almost pitied him, as he got stuck with going to her in tough times. There were people way better at this than the Slytherin girl. Often, she found herself lacking empathy when it came to situations where she was called upon to help someone. Alexx was not the most emotional one of the bunch unless it was her own pride at stake, which explained why she took to the Imani encounter so negatively. It was selfish of her, but perhaps that was part of why she was a Slytherin. Alexx looked after herself, for the most part, with a rare exception of others. Her ability to help people was not something she could ever take pride in, seeing as though it was practically a non-existent ability to begin with.

Offering him a sort of false smile, which anyone could see past, especially given the circumstances she now found herself faced with, she turned her body further towards him in an attempt to become more open to conversation. She had read somewhere that facing the person in question and maintaining eye contact was a sure way to make someone feel more comfortable around you. While Alexx didn't know if this was true, especially because eye contact made her uncomfortable, it was worth a shot. Comforting white lies through the use of body language definitely wouldn't hurt anyone. Given Quinn's current state, she almost reckoned he could use it more than anything.

I got the gasoline

Quinn smiled softly, before he began to chuckle finally affirmed her eye contact. "Ya're terrible at this ceann greannmhar." For a moment he couldn't control his laughter, "Like really bad at this but that's okay Alexx." He was mostly likely referring to her best attempt at comforting him. He had watched enough people to know the tells of someone who wasn't used to comforting others. That was still okay because she at least tried and that's what he wanted. Despite the fact she was no doubt probably uncomfortable with this whole situation she still tried. So maybe that's why this next part he just spilled it all out. Months upon months of anxiety, fear, stress, anger all of it poured out in the span of hours.

"It all really started my first year of attending Hogwarts. Just a little bit before, coming here actually. If you've met me before I don't exactly act like well...most boys. Never really cared what other people thought of me...never had too. I must admit I even wore dresses a few times because it just felt kinda nice..." He clasped his hands together interlacing his fingers and stared at them smiling sadly. "No one ever really called me out on it before and most of the time I was just curious so I always went head first into things consequences be damned ya know?" He chuckled again though there was a noticeable bitter tinge to this laughter that stained it like black dye staining clear water.

"Curiosity can be such a fascinating thing ya know. When you're not bound by eagla or claidhreacht. The skies the limit and that was me even after my first accident..." His eyes seemed to glaze over a minute and his body started to shake and shiver. "A-Anyway, I um..." He sniffled, "Yeah you get my point Alexx I'm very curious by nature it rules me practically...or at least it did I didn't give a flying feck but then. HE CAME INTO MY LIFE!" The last sentence was filled with utter hatred, malice, and disdain for whoever HE was. His face for the briefest of moments twisted into something gnarly and horrifying the rage appearing there. Unfortunately since Quinn had forgotten he was all but staring Alexx in the eyes still he probably looked as if he wanted to murder this specific person quite brutally. His voice had also raised noticeably before dying down as quickly as it rose.

"A-A-Anyway yeah it started around that time when Donnigan set his eyes on me." He started to pout and now just stared at his hands, his knuckles pure white from how hard he was clasping his hands. "It was little things at first ya know? Name calling, the occasional shove, small pranks nothing too bad. I could handle all of that with easy strides I'm many things but a pushover i-was one of them." With an iota of pride that all but instantly disappeared before it fully appeared Quinn continued through the awkward interruption. "But I should have fought harder much sooner let that bloody feckin gobshite have it sooner!!" His anger was beginning to take over again. "But noooooooo Quinn ya're too nice ya just dealt with the blows, ya didn't even try asking for help. Just kept it to your self and now look at ya!" Most of it seemed as much directed at this Donnigan kid as it was at him. He was practically on the verge of crying and he hadn't even really started the story yet. "...." After a minute or five of recomposing himself Quinn tried to relax and looked at Alexx again unclasping his hands and rubbing his thighs nervously.

"S-Sorry for that outburst. Continuing that's when the bullying started a lot of people didn't like how I would act or the recklessness of my actions. I was different and unafraid of most things, I was willing to befriend anyone and not judge them. I think that scared a lot of people because apparently it wasn't just my behavior it was my unnaturally vibrant hair color, eyes, my lanky body and just demeanor in general. No idea why I was born with this body but yeah suddenly Donnigan started targeting me. About halfway through my first year hear things began to escalate. His feckin band of eijits would start harrassing me everytime I went home making fun of me, punching me, touching me when I didn't want to be touched and pulling on my hair. But I just rolled with it and did my best to fight back but they are older and stronger than me so what could I do but just weather it?"

He pursed his lips, "...and then they started going after my friends targeting them too playing horrendous pranks on them. Beating them, stealing from them, ruining their stuff. So for their safety I fought as hard as I could pissed em off as much as I could so they would only hurt me." He rolled up the sleeves of his robes revealing some fading bruises both of all sizes and most coloring. "As ye can see that didn't turn out to well. They still went after them and it just got worse while I was here for my friends at least. Some of thos-" He sniffled again and tears started to fall. "He took my friends Alexx!!" He practically cried out and began to breathe very quickly visibly upset. "Donnigan took them from me! He alienated me from my friends, lads I've grown up with since I was wee. Most don't even talk to me anymore out of fear while some joined him in taunting me and making my home life a living hell!!" Quinn was feeling so many emotions in this very moment. He knew she said slowly but he couldn't control it anymore the dam wall broke and now everything was just pouring it and it would not stop until it was done.

Through the tears and emotions the fragile little Hufflepuff trekked on with his story. "Then came this passed christmas holiday when everything went to shite..." He His body began to shake again but unlike before it was much more violent. It was quite worrying really, "Donnigan he..." He sighed, "When I was a very young child me family took the ferry from Dublin to Liverpool. We were going to visit some family friends in London. Well there was this bad storm and my folks told me to stay put the storm was something else. But little me was too stubborn and curious for his own good, so I went out into the storm to see it and then..." He suddenly went tense... "The storm swept me overboard into the raging depths below...If it wasn't for...for...for Brannigan seeing me go overboard I wouldn't be here." He spoke slowly almost unable to get the words out.

"Ever since then I've had this terrible fear of the water. Whenever I see something like a lake, large rivers, or god forbid the ocean I just shutdown...and panic..." He admitted. "So going back to Christmas it was maybe halfway through the break and so far I had managed to avoid Donnigan though sadly not his band of Eijits. One day I took a stroll near the Swords Estuary...by myself, Been walking maybe an hour and then out of no where Donnigan comes from behind and puts his hand on my shoulder." His breath quickened again and eyes went wide as he grabbed and held onto his own shoulders.

"...He grabbed me and started asking questions like why I was out there by myself, why I seemed so tense around the water. Unfortunately Donnigan is smart and observant not just a brute..." Silence fell on him again. "...He forced me to the edge and leaned me nearly off the ledge fully. I panicked! I just wanted him to stop but he wouldn't listen so I fought and fought until I was able to make him let go but I fell in...and I barely know how to swim. The water was...chilling and cold and deep and I panicked more as I was reliving it all again. I kinda blacked out after that and uh...never told anyone the full story..." He was still crying immensely and shaking like a leaf.

Blue-green eyes rolled in her skull, half smiling as he fake insulted her. She knew she wasn't good with sympathy; it just wasn't in her blood. Lying, that was one thing. But lying about feeling bad for someone? But that all changed right when Quinn started to tell his tale. It was a tragedy, and far worse than what any nice second-year boy should have to be dealing with. Alexx never suspected that she would be hearing such tales this early on. It was disturbing, to say the least. Especially coming from her friend. Suddenly, she was wishing she had a Hufflepuff here to help her. Someone who knew Quinn slightly better, or was at least capable of articulating the fact that she did feel bad for him.

Secrets didn't last long in Hogwarts from her experience, but what was sad was that Quinn's case was not even a case of things that could be refuted as rumors. Instead, if you had ever met Quinn, his case of being rather neutral on the gender spectrum was vibrant. On top of that, no one really seemed to mind Quinn or who he was. This was a difficult case to deal with, because Quinn was... Well, Quinn. The blonde Slytherin never thought that anyone had a problem with that.

Whether her friend knew so or not, he was language hopping, much as Alexx was guilty of. The only problem was that many of these words were unfamiliar to her. She tried to put two and two together, but in reality, this was much too complicated for her liking. What was a "eagla"? And then the other word...?

She paused in fright as Quinn's face mangled and twisted into this hate-filled source. She had never seen anyone so disturbed, and specifically not Quinn, who was as kind and loving as they come. This was not the type of emotion and energy she suspected to radiate off of someone who felt so calm and peaceful. It was a hard concept to accept, but Quinn was human, too, and deserved her respect. Especially for being brave enough to share all of this. So she bit the inside of her cheek, narrowing her eyes a little bit out of respect.

Alexx had no idea who Donnigan was, and she wasn't so sure that Quinn was perfectly sane right now, either. Taking someones friends? That seemed far fetched, but she wasn't going to tell him that. But then again, Donnigan seemed to be an entity that existed outside of her range of authority, so this couldn't be solved with a simple detention. Donnigan was an external problem for Quinn. This was not a problem that Alexx could solve. Not unless she hunted Donnigan down herself and beat a lesson into him. Instead... She would just have to make suggestions to Quinn for the time being.

"Damn, okay... That's a lot to take in. I'm sure this is the last advice you'd want to hear, but fighting back doesn't seem wrong in this situation. You're a good guy. You have the biggest heart I have ever seen in my entire life. No one is going to judge you if you show him that you aren't around to take his shit anymore, mon ami. He seems like a problem that is best dealt with sooner than later. Especially if this is what he does to you. It isn't worth letting it go on." She made sure not to be too specific with her words, because she doubted that someone would like to hear a prefect tell someone to hurt someone else. Specifically, she didn't even mean that. Standing up to someone can happen more than one way. And she wasn't going to bullshit Quinn, because he deserved her honest opinion.

I got the gasoline

He sniffled and cried but despite all that he appeared to be slowly calming down. 'Guess it's true what they say. lettin it all out is...freeing.' He thought to himself despite the torrential mess his mind was at the very moment. They were things he didn't want to hear but that's exactly why he went to Alexx. She was dependable, could be awkward granted and had her own problems. But she was always honest.

She was right to. Whether Quinn liked to admit it or not, he was making excuses for himself to not deal with the problem. Stubborn to a fault...the Healy charm at its best. His beast of a mother couldn't get him to confront what he needed but the simple words from him friend that at this moment he trusted did. Maybe his Dadeo was right...'...guess I am a unique case' It elicited a weird sort of guttural chuckle that came out because of all his crying and now sore throat.

"Ya're right ya know..." His voice was raw. Most likely from all the talking and crying the big baby had been doing. "...It's not like ah coodn't deal with the gobshite before but..." He trailed off looking away a bit ashamed. "...ah never liked causing right trouble for those round me." He admitted after some moments of thought. "But ya words...help...they help alot actually." He still kept looking away. "I don't think you'll ever know how much I appreciate that...your blunt honesty is...insensitive but refreshing. It's one of things I find truly beautiful about you."

As soon as the words escaped his mouth his eyes widened. "Fuck!...I mean...shiet...shite...uuuuuugh..." They covered their faces having another little crisis of the completely different kind. "...I meant...ya know...gods ah'm not like this....ah think ya know what I meant." He finally relented. For a moment thoughts of Donnigan weren't even on the forefront of his mind and he returned to his usual self at least for this brief moment.

A smile crossed her lips. She might have lacked sympathy, as that was just the way of her nature, but she was glad to hear that she was able to assist the boy in some way. She could tell that he was dealing with a lot, and it was troubling him for sure. Laughing, she nodded. "I catch your drift, don't worry."

She sighed, nodding her head. "Well, I do try to be honest. It's healthier. People deserve the truth, nothing sugar coated ever helps. Besides, this kid sounds like an asshole." She didn't at all feel bad about advising Quinn in this manner. From Prefect to ex-Prefect, it is something they would both understand.

A groan escaped her as she leaned back in her chair a bit. "Not a lot of beautiful things about me. I'm flattered that you see the beauty in what people find ugly. Truly, I am. You're very pure, Quinn. Keep that trait. It'll keep you out of trouble." Advice like this- so casual and raw- was her true specialty. Alexx spoke her mind at all costs, no shame to follow. Luckily for Quinn, he was a good person, and Alexx had nothing bad to say about him.

Her eyebrows raised and she smiled. "Well, I am glad to have been of assistance. I am always here for that. Anything for a friend and all." She said while nodding. Alexx was a good friend above all else, especially to kind souls like Quinn Healy. He deserved the absolute best side of her. It was true, she might be awkward and cold, maybe even a bit insane, but she wouldn't turn him down should he ever need her assistance. So, the smile never left her face as she watched him with careful eyes. Though, the worry was still there, hidden in the very back.

I got the gasoline

"Anything right?" An idea suddenly popped into his head. "Then ya think ya could help with this mess? I was being a bit of an emotional eijit when I decided to do this." He smiled bitterly pulling off the beanie to reveal a very poorly cut mop of hair that still had specks of the fiery orange in it. His hair was starting to look more auburn then anything and the make up on his face was poorly done. Gods he was a real mess today.

"And ya know since we're friends..." He pursed his lips in thought. "...If you ever need anything or want to talk. You can always come to me. Ya shouldn't be as stubborn as me. Ya're one of my precious friends after all. So if ya ever need anything ah'll slay the gods for ya or sock a professor. You've my word on that." He laughed and grinned genuinely happy for a change. He was being a goof and silly but he meant the words that spilled from his chapped lips.

For all his faults Quinn was always truthful about one thing. He had one rule that he never broke no matter what. And that was giving out his word. Which he almost never did and only did with people he absolutely trusted or felt he could rely on. His eyes seemed to regain some of their light. He knew what he had to do.

He had been letting what others thought and how it would affect them determmine his actions for too long. So for once he was gonna act like a reckless eijit and make sure Donnigan never messed with him again. Behind the genuine smile something changed deep within Quinn that day...for better or for worse...